HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,795 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians #184516
07/14/17 04:11 AM
07/14/17 04:11 AM
dedication  Offline OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Introductory Statements:

The Protestant world is getting ready to celebrate the 500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation, when Martin Luther — guided by the Holy Spirit — brought to millions crucial biblical truths that were long hidden under centuries of superstition and tradition. One could argue that out of the pages of Galatians (along with Romans) Protestantism itself was born half a millennium ago! It was while reading Galatians that Martin Luther first was touched with the glorious good news of righteousness by faith, the great truth that spawned the Protestant Reformation, which freed millions from centuries of theological and ecclesiastical error. What he read in this book changed Luther, and the world has never been the same again.

Seventh-day Adventists, many centuries after Luther, also are indebted to Galatians. Through the study of Galatians, E. J. Waggoner and A. T. Jones helped the Adventist Church in the 1880s and 90s rediscover the truth of righteousness by faith.

What is it about Galatians that has made it such a backbone of the Protestant Reformation? Why has it been able to touch the hearts of so many, such as Martin Luther? In a manner unlike any other book in the Bible, Galatians addresses a number of themes crucial to the Christian soul. It is in Galatians that Paul tackles issues such as freedom, the role of the law in salvation, our condition in Christ, and the nature of the Spirit-led life, as well as the age-old question, How can sinful humans be made right before a holy and just God? It was this question, perhaps more than any other, that spurred Martin Luther on the track he started and from which he never turned back.

Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #184517
07/14/17 04:26 AM
07/14/17 04:26 AM
dedication  Offline OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Galatians One
1.3 Grace be to you and peace from God the Father, and from our Lord Jesus Christ,
1.4 Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father:
1.5 To whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

These introductory verses contain the whole gospel.
--Jesus Christ gave Himself for our sins
--God the Father raised Him from the dead
-- that Jesus might deliver us from the present evil age
--To God and Christ be all the glory forever!
Grace and peace-- these are the gifts God the Father and Son bestow.
To save mankind through Jesus Christ IS THE WILL OF GOD

Reply Quote
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #184519
07/14/17 04:39 AM
07/14/17 04:39 AM
dedication  Offline OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
ANOTHER GOSPEL

What constitutes this other gospel --
Can we tell the difference?

1.6 I am astonished that you are so quickly desert him who called you into the grace of Christ and turn unto another gospel:
1.7 not that it is not another gospel; but there are some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.
1.8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
1.9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than what you have received, let him be accursed.

Paul says they accepted another gospel. How many gospels are there? Revelation 14:6 refers to the true gospel as the everlasting Gospel that is preached to every nation and kindred, tongue and people.
There is only one gospel, but these false teachers are teaching not a variation of Paul's gospel, BUT ANOTHER different gospel, which is not the gospel.

1.10 For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.
1.11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.

Here is our first clue as to what constitutes the false gospel.

A false "gospel" is based on PLEASING MEN!
Jesus rebuked those who put on a religious "show", "to be seen of men" yet will receive no heavenly reward. (Matt. 6:1-6)

Christ rebuked those who
"outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within are full of hypocrisy and iniquity. (Matt.23:28)
"Blind leaders, who strain out a gnat, and swallow a camel. (Matt. 23:24)
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess. (23.25)

The true gospel results in yielding up our pride, our love of the approbation of an unbelieving world. The true gospel is not about doing things to have men speak well of us, but knowing that God speaks well of us, and that we are His servants.

Reply Quote
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #184527
07/14/17 07:42 PM
07/14/17 07:42 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
I would like to point out a difference in what Paul had to say and what the quarterly says.

Quote:
In Galatians 2:1–14, we find the apostle doing everything in his power to maintain the unity of the apostolic circle in the midst of attempts by some believers to destroy it. But as important as that unity was to Paul, he refused to allow the truth of the gospel to be compromised to achieve
it. Therefore, while there is room for diversity within unity, the gospel must never be compromised in the process.

Paul was writing to "believers" and asking them how someone had led them to believe something foreign to what he had taught them, to another gospel that isn't really a gospel at all. He didn't classify those teaching these things as believers for they were actually drawing people away from Christ. In referring to these people he said the following:

Quote:
7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.
8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

Where does Paul actually call these people teaching the believers to abandon their faith in Christ believers? He does not. Believers are not accursed. It is only non-believers who are accursed, and by that I mean those outside the grace of Christ because they have not accepted Him. Someone who has truly accepted Christ will not lead others away from Him.

Last edited by Gary K; 07/14/17 07:44 PM.
Reply Quote
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #184528
07/14/17 09:09 PM
07/14/17 09:09 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Another thought in addition to my previous post is that Paul, in referring to those in Jerusalem who were requiring Gentiles to be circumcised called them false brethren.

Quote:
Galations 2:4 And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage:

The Greek word translated as false is rendered as followed by Strong's:
Quote:
5569 pseudadelphos psyoo-dad'-el-fos from 5571 and 80; a spurious brother, i.e. pretended associate:--false brethren. see GREEK for 5571 see GREEK for 80

He called them spurious brothers, or pretended associates. That cannot be in any way be said to mean a fellow believer.

Reply Quote
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #184531
07/15/17 02:01 AM
07/15/17 02:01 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Good thoughts, Gary. Obviously, a "false brother" is not a "brother." It reminds me, as an English teacher, of "false cognates"--words that look the same between languages, but are not.

For example: "embarrassed" in English is NOT the same as "embarazada" in Spanish. The latter means "pregnant"! These are "false cognates," sometimes also referred to as "false friends." Second language learners often stumble over these. Just for fun, I'll copy in a table found on Spanishcognates.org that illustrates a few more of these.

English Word Correct Spanish Word Confused With English Translation
actually en realidad actualmente currently
assist ayudar asistir to attend
attend asistir atender to attend to
bizarre extraño bizarro gallant
carpet alfombra carpeta folder
choke estrangular chocar to collide
deception engaño decepción disappointment
embarrassed avergonzado embarazada pregnant
exit salida éxito success
idiom modismo idioma language

On the forum here, much confusion arises from individuals who have conflated intra-language (English only) "false friends," assuming their meanings are related when this is simply not so. I like the fact that God's law is said to be so precise as to not suffer the change of a single jot or tittle. That means words are important. It behooves us to use words with precision and carefulness, and to pay attention to the words and expressions used by Biblical authors. At the same time, we must understand that errors have entered the text through translation (such as "Easter" instead of "Passover" in the KJV in one place) and be willing to look at the words in their original language when warranted.

Paul uses the term "false brethren" only twice in his writings. They are the only uses of the Greek word behind them in the Bible.

Quote:
ψευδάδελφος pseudádelphos, psyoo-dad'-el-fos; from G5571 and G80; a spurious brother, i.e. pretended associate:—false brethren.

It nearly seems something like a combination between the concepts of "hypocrite" and "infiltrator." To what degree the "false brother" professes to be a true Christian remains undefined. The term might comprehend a spectrum of individuals, and yet none of them would be a true "brother" (Christian). As Paul pointed out in his time, there are many non-Christian Adventists today. Beware of the wolves in sheep's clothing!

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Reply Quote
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #184532
07/15/17 03:07 AM
07/15/17 03:07 AM
dedication  Offline OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Galatians 2
2.1 Then fourteen years later I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, and took Titus with me as well.

PAUL PRESENTS THE PROBLEM:
He recounts a previous experience when he and Barnabas, along with Titus, a Gentile go to Jerusalem. Titus was a Gentile convert to Christianity and dear to Paul who called him "my own son after the common faith" (Titus 1:2)

Most will agree that this is referring to the same event recorded in Acts 15, as it deals with the same issue, which was then brought before the council at Jerusalem.

Quote:
[While in Antioch] Certain men came down from Judea and taught the brethren, saying, Unless you are circumcised according to the custom of Moses YOU CAN NOT BE SAVED. And when Paul and Barnabas had fierce debate and controversy with them, it was appointed that Paul and Barnabas and some others go to Jerusalem to the apostles and the elders about this question…..when they came to Jerusalem, they were welcomed by the church and the apostles and the elders, and they declared all that God had done with them. But some believers who belonged to the party of the Pharisees rose up, and said, ‘It is necessary to circumcise them, and to charge them to keep the law of Moses’.” Acts 15:1-5
Here we find ourselves in the heat of the Jewish mindset. A person was "a heathen" unless he was a Jew. The only way one could be a Jew was to undergo circumcision and purification rituals and take studies in the Torah. So again we see the "Jewish party" insisting that a person FIRST had to become a "Jewish proselyte" before they could be offered any salvation privileges from God.

As the lesson points out, circumcision was the sign of the covenant relationship that God established with Abraham, the father of the Israelite nation. It had symbolic meaning of stripping away dependence upon one's own abilities, and depending totally on God. However, that symbolic meaning had been lost, and there was a general concept that circumcision was their ticket to heaven. Yet, for

Thus the Jewish Christians had a hard time setting aside the 'sign" that had so much importance to their religious/national identity.

Reply Quote
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #184533
07/15/17 03:29 AM
07/15/17 03:29 AM
dedication  Offline OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
So why does Paul go to Jerusalem?

Originally Posted By: Galatians
2.2 And I went up because God revealed I should do so, and communicated in a private interview, to men of repute, the same gospel which I preach among the Gentiles, lest by any means I should run, or had run, in vain.

Paul seems to have been reluctant about going to Jerusalem to argue the situation, but the Lord impressed him to go. First he had a private meeting with some of the apostles. God gave Paul the truth of the gospel through revelation, but God also revealed to Paul to go to Jerusalem to confirm the gospel revealed to him, and to do this privately with the apostles BEFORE the controversial element presented their side.
God wants His ministers to have unity. It is apparent that the Judizers were pointing to the church in Jerusalem and citing the apostles in Jerusalem as their support; they were accusing Paul of faulty teachings, and out of line with the "men of repute" (apostles) in Jerusalem. This was a serious charge for the apostles had walked and talked with Christ for 3 1/2 years and were obviously chosen by Christ as His ambassadors, while Paul came later on the scene. This was why Paul started this letter with such emphases on his calling and how he was taught by Christ Himself the message he was carrying to the Gentiles.

There in Jerusalem the church leaders sided with Paul, shattering the whole contention of the Judaizers who were insisting Gentiles had to become "Jews" first before they were acceptable to God and eligible of the benefits bestowed by God.

After much disputing in that council, Peter stands up and recounts his experience with the Gentile Cornelius, telling them that God "put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith." Acts 15:9

And so the Jerusalem Church Counsel votes against the Judiazers and supports Paul. The apostles are not divided.

IS UNITY IN LEADERSHIP IMPORTANT?

The answer is, YES!
If the church is serious about preaching truth in a convincing way, there needs to be unity amongst the leaders.
The old saying "divide and conquer" still holds a lot of truth.

Reply Quote
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #184534
07/15/17 03:39 AM
07/15/17 03:39 AM
dedication  Offline OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Galatians

2.3 Yet even Titus, who was with me, though being a Greek, was not compelled to be circumcised.
2.4 That demand was brought in by false brethren who slipped in to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage:

While in Jerusalem some "believers who belonged to the party of the Pharisees rose up, and said, ‘It is necessary to circumcise them'"

They used devious means to spy out whether Titus, who was a Gentile, was circumcised. The “church council” itself apparently voted that Titus should not be compelled to be circumcised and they also gave their blessing to Paul and Barnabas to continue their mission to the Gentiles, without requiring their converts to submit to circumcision, nor to the ceremonial Jewish laws.

It has been suggested that these "false brethren" were infiltrators, (slipped in to spy out our liberty) to "spy" on what they were doing and to make sure Jewish customs and laws were observed.

Paul says, "No! to their insistence that Titus (and all Gentiles) who convert must be initiated into the Jewish economy by circumcision. He told them that all are made one at the cross -- all are unclean sinners without Christ. Grace is available for all peoples, there's no distinction between Jews and the rest.

In our day a popular teaching has come in suggesting Paul, in Galatians is freeing the Gentiles from their obligation to obey God's law (particularly the Ten Commandments). But remember that Titus was the "test case" to resist the circumcision party. Yet in the book of Titus chapter one we read what Paul wrote this young man. Paul admonishes Titus to live a moral life (See Titus 1:5-9; 2:1-19) He even tells Titus that Christ's redemption includes cleansing us from every lawless deed and purifying a people, zealous for good works (Titus 2:11)

Paul explains a bit more to Titus about those "false brethren" of the circumcision, who infiltrated the church.
Notice what type of characters they have –
•insubordinate
• idle talkers
• doing this for monetary gain
• they follow the commandments of men
• They (these Judizing men) profess to know God but in works they deny Him living in abominable disobedience and disqualified for every good work. Titus 1:16
In spite of their insistence on Jewish initiation rituals, and other ceremonies, their lives and actions show they have never been circumcised of the heart. insubordinate idle talkers doing this for monetary gain they follow the commandments of men They (these Judizing men) profess to know God but in works they deny Him living in abominable disobedience and disqualified for every good work. Titus 1:16 In spite of their insistance on Jewish initiation rituals, their lives show they have never been circumcised of the heart.

Reply Quote
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #184535
07/15/17 04:04 AM
07/15/17 04:04 AM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
dedication,

Have you read F.C. Gilbert's book, From Judaism to Christianity? In it he talks about how he was raised to be a rabbi and how hatred for Christians was deliberately instilled in him starting at a very young age.

I know this is centuries after Paul's day, but when we see how the Jews pursued and persecuted Christians in Paul's day it's hard to see how the levels of hatred were that much greater in Gilbert's day than in Paul's day. The point i'm getting at is that it was drummed into a Jewish boy's mind from a very, very young age and onward that circumcision and Jewishness was something that made them very, very special, and that Gentiles were of less value than dogs. Thus even in the minds of the Jews who accepted Christ it was almost impossible for them to understand how someone could be accepted into the church without being circumcised.

I think sometimes we overlook how difficult it must have been for a Jew to accept a Gentile as an equal inside the church, let alone that the Gentile didn't need to be circumcised. To me, the fact that there were Jews who did accept the Gentiles as equals points to the amount of power that was exercised by the Holy Spirit during that time, because only through the transforming power of the Spirit could such change take place.

This level of power is also implied by Paul's statements in ICorinthians 1:10:
Quote:
10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

This also implies a level of self-surrender and commitment that is very, very rare to day in the Christian world. We are far too self-driven and self-motivated these days. I think we have forgotten, or maybe even never really known, what true surrender really means. If we aren't ignorant of it, then what excuse do we have so many, and so large, divisions in the church? In Acts Paul says that all believed alike: they were of one heart and one soul.

To me this points to the fact that we don't really understand what it is we lack. And I'm not excluding myself from this either. I am part of the problem. "I" is the problem, at least in my understanding. We have been raised and surrounded by the "me" culture all of our lives, and it's effect upon us is just as strong as the Jewish education was upon the Jews.

Reply Quote
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!