HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,566
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 11
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (ProdigalOne, 1 invisible), 2,692 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: Green Cochoa] #184571
07/16/17 04:49 AM
07/16/17 04:49 AM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Originally Posted By: dedication
The posts linked, talk a lot about the enmity, trying to link the enmity to ceremonial laws.
Why was the ceremonial law "enmity"? It wasn't.

The enmity was the ill feelings between Jews and Gentiles.
The enmity was the Jews thinking any uncircumsized Gentile was "a dog". And the Gentiles in turn thinking the Jews were a bigoted people, etc.

I will respectfully disagree here. The "enmity" was the natural opposition, even hatred, toward the law of God. But when a man has a renewed heart, this enmity is abolished.

Mrs. White addresses these concepts.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
Many of this class whose hearts are carnal, take the position that the law of God is abolished. "Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be." They have not been transformed by the renewing of their minds. They are lawless. The profess to be holy, while they are servants of sin. Many of those who teach that the law of God is abolished are lascivious men, fornicators, and adulterers. They are forward to rate against the law of God, and curse the bondage of the law. Their bitter speeches illy compare with the words of Paul: "What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law; for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet." "Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good." {RH, March 8, 1870 par. 4}

Paul in his epistle to Timothy describes the very men who are under the bondage of the law. They are the transgressors of the law. He names them lawless, disobedient, sinners, unholy, profane, murderers, adulterers, liars, and all who depart from sound doctrine. 1 Timothy 1:9, 10. {RH, March 8, 1870 par. 5}

As respects the "Jew" and "Gentile" (assuming converted versus unconverted ones here), God has said He would put enmity between them.

When the Lord Jesus visited our earth, he brought with him renovating energy. He put enmity between the seed of the woman and the serpent. But there is no enmity between fallen angels and fallen men. Both, through apostasy, are evil; and wherever there is evil, with no disposition to repent, it will always league with Satan against God. Fallen men and fallen angels unite in a desperate struggle to destroy God's great standard of righteousness. There was a bond of sympathy among the angels that Satan succeeded in drawing into rebellion, and he made them his allies in the effort to dethrone God and to abolish his law. Satan's work in our world today is to destroy the moral image of God in man, by making void the divine law; and our enemies are inspired by his spirit. By casting aside God's great standard of character, he can deprave human nature, and win men and women to his standard; for, "Where no law is, there is no transgression." With what triumph, then, he watches the professedly Christian world, as they earnestly do the very work he is doing. {RH, January 26, 1897 par. 8}

The "seed" of each class deals with the followers--those who are of the same "feather" and "flock together." God will separate His people from the ungodly.

But here is perhaps the best and clearest statement regarding the meaning of the "enmity" in her writings.

Only those who are sanctified through the truth will be accepted as heirs of eternal life. The sanctification that God intends his children should have, is not of that character which leads men to boast of their holiness and reject the law of God, which is "holy, and just, and good." Bible sanctification is implicit obedience to the requirements of God. Christ did not die to save anyone in the pollution of sin. He came to "save his people from their sins," that "the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled" in his followers. The death of the Son of God on the cross demonstrates the immutable character of the precepts of Jehovah. Then how grieved should we be for every transgression and disobedience. The precious Saviour was bruised for our iniquity. There is enmity against the commandments of God in the hearts of those who claim sanctification and refuse to acknowledge the binding obligation of the law. Hatred arises in their hearts as soon as the law is mentioned. They profess to believe that the law is abolished. But if the law is abolished, what is the standard by which we shall be judged before the judgment-seat of Christ? This work of belittling the law is the work of the great deceiver. If Satan can persuade men that the God of the universe has no law by which he governs them, then he can set up a standard of his own, and turn men into the path of transgression and destruction. {ST, February 10, 1888 par. 5}

It is this enmity against God's law that Jesus came to destroy. By His death, He uplifts and glorifies the law, putting it in a new light--for it was the law that demanded the death of the sinner, but God, fulfilling the law in our place, opened the path to life.

I would disagree with your conclusion. Why? There is an actual law that codified the enmity between Jew and Gentile.

Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: ] #184572
07/16/17 05:02 AM
07/16/17 05:02 AM
dedication  Offline OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Gary K

But Paul specifically says that the enmity was "even the law of commandments contained in ordinances". That is very specific. Paul is referring to a law. There can be no doubt about it.

I agree that the law was not the ceremonial law. But what law was it? I have an answer that fits, but just want to see if you come to the same conclusion.

Did you read my answer?

Here

Or just the comment I made concerning Tom's post.

So what are your thoughts on the issue?

Last edited by dedication; 07/16/17 05:30 AM.
Reply Quote
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: ] #184573
07/16/17 05:10 AM
dedication  Offline OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada

I will respectfully disagree here. The "enmity" was the natural opposition, even hatred, toward the law of God. But when a man has a renewed heart, this enmity is abolished.

I fully agree with the concept you presented here, but not sure it is what the particular text under discussion is talking about, though in a broader sense it may be part of it.
We'd have to change the wording from

Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;
to
Having abolished in his flesh the enmity against the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

As respects the "Jew" and "Gentile" (assuming converted versus unconverted ones here), God has said He would put enmity between them.

Again it's not directly addressing what the text is saying -- it is talking about literal Gentiles, who up to this point had been excluded from the commonwealth of Israel, and literal Jews becoming one in Christ.

It is this enmity against God's law that Jesus came to destroy. By His death, He uplifts and glorifies the law, putting it in a new light--for it was the law that demanded the death of the sinner, but God, fulfilling the law in our place, opened the path to life.

Again I fully agree with the concept you present for indeed when Christ enters our lives, he takes away the enmity against His law.
However, it isn't addressing the verse, as the verse specially says a law that caused separation is abolished, broken down, so that the Gentiles by the blood of Christ become fellow heirs with the Jews who also need the blood of Christ -- they are one.

Reply Quote
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #184574
dedication  Offline OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Here is the explanation again -- the actual verses from Ephesians are in blue. A couple changes for clarification added to my explanations.

Let's see if the context gives the answer:

2:11 Wherefore remember, that you [Gentiles] in the past, born as Gentiles, who are called Uncircumcision by those who are called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;
2:12 That at that time you were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:

Before Christ came, salvation was in the keeping of the Israelites who had entered into a covenant with God, the Gentiles were outsiders in a very sad spiritual condition.

The text notes circumcision as a distinguishing (but only of the flesh) mark as to who belongs to the commonwealth of Israel and who is an outsider.

2:13 But now in Christ Jesus you who were once far off are brought near by the blood of Christ.
2:14 For he is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of partition [between us];

The blood of Christ, His sacrifice, puts them all on the same level. They are made "one" --
"For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. . . . There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. Galatians 3:26-28."

He broke down the middle wall of partition between them.
The "middle wall" must be part of the "law in the ordinances" that separated them.

What walls or hedges had the Jews established around themselves to protect themselves from the heathen?
One such precept did not allow Jews to enter the home of a Gentile (see Acts 10:28}

We know the whole temple ceremonies offered only very restrictive admittance to Gentiles.
Yet, the ceremonial laws set forth forgiveness and cleansing all in the context of the temple rituals. Without these there was no admittance into the commonwealth of Israel.

The actual ritual mentioned in these verses is the rite of circumcision -- in the Jewish laws, every male must be circumcised in order to be part of the commonwealth of Israel.

2:15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments in ordinances; for to make in himself of the two, one new man, so making peace;

So Christ abolished commands contained in ordinances that separated the Jews from the Gentiles.
The context seems to point to

1. Circumcision
Romans 3;30 God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith.

However, I believe it also includes
2. The temple ceremonies for forgiveness and cleansing through sacrifices etc. from which Gentiles had been largely denied, but now the way to heavenly sanctuary by the blood of Christ was wide open for them as well as for the Jews. There was no difference.

Heb7:12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law
7:24 But this [man, Jesus], because he continues ever, has an unchangeable priesthood.
7:25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever lives to make intercession for them.

2:16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:
2:17 And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.
2:18 For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.

Reply Quote
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #184576
07/16/17 05:56 AM
07/16/17 05:56 AM
dedication  Offline OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
To begin the next lesson

LESSON FOUR
Justification by Faith Alone

Quote:
Galatians 2:15-21
15 We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles, 16 knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified.

17 “But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is Christ therefore a minister of sin? Certainly not!
18 For if I build again those things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor.
19 For I through the law died to the law that I might live to God.
20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.
21 I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died 1in vain.”

(From the lesson)
"This passage contains some of the most compressed wording in the New Testament, and it is extremely significant, because it introduces us for the first time to several words and phrases that are foundational both to understanding the gospel and to the rest of Paul’s letter to the Galatians. These key words include justification, righteousness, works of law, belief, and not only faith but even the faith of Jesus.

What does Paul mean by these terms, and what do they teach us about the plan of salvation?"

Reply Quote
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #184577
07/16/17 06:23 AM
07/16/17 06:23 AM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Originally Posted By: Gary K

But Paul specifically says that the enmity was "even the law of commandments contained in ordinances". That is very specific. Paul is referring to a law. There can be no doubt about it.

I agree that the law was not the ceremonial law. But what law was it? I have an answer that fits, but just want to see if you come to the same conclusion.

Did you read my answer?

Here

Or just the comment I made concerning Tom's post.

So what are your thoughts on the issue?

Yes, I read it. The answer, I think, is found in the fact that Paul was highly educated in the schools of the Pharisees. And what did the Pharisees teach?

1. That, in the eyes of the Jews of Christ's and Paul's day, the Mishna and Gemara, the Oral Law, were superior to the Torah.

Quote:
TEACHINGS OF RABBIS PLACED ABOVE GOD’S WORD
15. They were putting themselves in the place of God to the people; their sayings were placed
upon equality with God’s teachings. Hence we read that the written law was like water; but the oral law,
Mishna, was like wine: the Gemara, like spiced wine. Some went as far as to say that the words of the
scribes are lovely above the words of the law (meaning the written law), for the words of the written law
are weighty and light; but the words of the scribes are all weighty. One, Rabbi Judah, son of Tamai, said:
“A child at five years should study the Bible, at ten the Mishna, at fifteen the Gernara.”
From this last statement it can be seen that three times as much value is placed upon the words of
men as upon the words of God. The person as he comes to years of maturity should regard the words of the
Scripture only one-third as much as he does the words of the rabbis. Yes, they go so far as to say:
“Yea, though they should tell thee that thy right hand is the left, and the left hand that it is the
right, it must be believed.”
It is not surprising, then, that the Savior condemned those teachers for making void the word of
God by their tradition. By their multiplicity of maxims they enslaved the man; they put the word of God
aside, in order that their words might be highly esteemed.

2. That the Gentiles were so vile that any kind of interaction with a Gentile made the Jew unclean.

Quote:
PHARISAICAL LAWS OF SEPARATION
14. Before we consider some of these laws concerning the question of separation, we might with profit notice a certain scripture which will perhaps enable us better to understand its significance as we consider these rabbinical laws. This passage is found in Acts 10: “And he [Peter] said unto them, You know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company or come unto one of another nation; hut God hath shown me that I should not call any man common or unclean.” [22]

15. Possibly some may have thought that the unlawfulness here referred to originated with God, and at some time was commanded to the Jews; and, therefore, Peter had this in mind when he said, “You know how that it is an unlawful thing.” Such an idea is erroneous. God had nothing whatever to do with any such law; He never had commanded it in any such term or spirit. The Pharisees taught that not under any circumstance was a Jew allowed to have any dealing with a Gentile.

SYNOPSIS OF LAWS

If a Jew were compelled to transact any business with a Gentile, he was obliged to cleanse himself both before and after the meeting.

If a Gentile were invited into the home of a Jew, the Gentile must not be left alone in the house during any portion of the time of his visit. If he were, then all the food in the house became unclean; and everything connected with the rooms through which the Gentile passed was defiled.

If a Jew were obliged to purchase any article of clothing, furniture, or any other utensil for domestic purposes from a Gentile, after he brought it to his house, he first had to wash his hands, because of his defilement in touching the object. Then the article itself would have to be cleansed, scoured, and thoroughly renovated.

If any Gentile lived in the same community with a Jew, and peradventure the Gentile was to have some festal celebration, for at least three days before this festal occasion, the Jew should have no transaction with the Gentile. If the Jew should have any intercourse with him during this time, he would be considered as assisting the Gentile in preparing his festivities.

If Gentiles were celebrating any heathen festivity, the Jew, if it were possible, should not pass through the city at this time, for fear that some bit of uncleanness might adhere to him.

It was forbidden to the Jew under most any circumstance, to do anything for a non-Jew. A Jewess was forbidden to assist a Gentile woman when giving birth to a child; she was not permitted to feed a child of another nationality, because then it would not only be defiling the Jewess, but would at the same time, by lengthening the life of the infant, encourage idolatry.

If a Gentile met with a disaster, such as having his house destroyed by fire, it was permissible for the Jew to assist him only in extreme cases; and these extreme cases had so many limitations and modifications, that the poor Gentile might have his house reduced to ashes and everything in it destroyed before he could receive any assistance.

A Jew must not have any part in the erection of any dwelling for a Gentile; this would be a defilement, and would cause him to become unclean. In the construction of no buildings was he permitted to have part.

A Jew must not sell, lease, or permit the use of any lands, houses, or real estate to a Gentile; for, after the Gentile had touched it, especially if he had used the house or land, all was unclean and defiled.

If a Gentile brought anything to a Jew as a gift, or for any other purpose, the Jew must not permit him to bring it into the house. Should the non-Jew succeed in bringing it into the house, the goods must be destroyed, and the house cleansed.

16. And so the list of laws might be continued indefinitely. The reader can better appreciate the thought when he is informed there is a tractate, entitled, “Abodah-Zorah,” or “Idolatry,” which treats of the relation between the Jew and the Gentile, containing five chapters, and no less than fifty sections. These are exclusively devoted to this one subject, and do not include scores of other laws scattered throughout the rabbinical writings. Can we not, then, appreciate the meaning of that text which Peter used when he came to Cornelius, in saying that it was unlawful for a man that is a Jew to come unto, or to keep company with, one who is not a Jew? But thank the blessed Lord, God revealed to him that there was no man common or unclean.

3. What did Ellen White say about one of the aspects of Christ's mission?

Ellen White says the following:
Quote:
In the days of Christ the established teachers instructed men in the traditions of the fathers, in childish fables, mingled with the opinions of those who they thought were high authorities. Yet neither high nor low could discern any ray of light in their teaching. What wonder was it that crowds followed in the footsteps of the Lord, and gave him homage as they listened to his words! He revealed truths that had been buried under the rubbish of error, and he freed them from the exactions and traditions of men, and bade them stand fast forever. He rescued truth from its obscurity, and set it in its proper framework, to shine in its original luster. He addressed men in his own name; for authority was vested in himself, and why should men, professing to be his followers, not speak with authority concerning subjects on which he has given light? Why take inferior sources of instruction when Christ is the great Teacher who knows all things? Why present inferior authors to the attention of students, when he whose words are spirit and life invites, “Come, ... and learn of me”? [Matthew 11:28, 29.] {CE 81.1}

4. The Bible makes it clear that there is no law coming from God that created enmity between Jew and Gentile:

Quote:
Genesis 22: 21 ¶Thou shalt neither vex a stranger, nor oppress him: for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt.

Genesis 12: 48 And when a stranger shall sojourn with thee, and will keep the passover to the Lord, let all his males be circumcised, and then let him come near and keep it; and he shall be as one that is born in the land: for no uncircumcised person shall eat thereof.
49 One law shall be to him that is homeborn, and unto the stranger that sojourneth among you.

Leviticus 24:22 Ye shall have one manner of law, as well for the stranger, as for one of your own country: for I am the Lord your God.

Numbers 15:16 One law and one manner shall be for you, and for the stranger that sojourneth with you.

Isaiah 56:7 Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people.

So what was the codified law that created enmity between the Jew and Gentile? The Oral Law created by the Jews under the influence of Greek education. The fact that the Jews were under the influence of Greek education is talked about by Stephen N. Haskell in his book The Story of Daniel the Prophet, and also in the book I quoted from here, Practical Lessons From the Experience of Israel, by F.C. Gilbert an expert on the ancient Jews and their laws and beliefs, and a converted SDA Jew and contemporary of Ellen White.

Jesus referred to the Oral Law, but not by name. He would say, You have heard it said.... And when He condemned the Pharisees for teaching the people to break God's laws He was referring explicitly to the teachings of the Oral Law. Paul, as a strict Pharisee, lived by the Oral law, and if you carefully read his writings you will see it referred to several times as simply the law. When reading Paul it is only by context that one can know if he is talking about the moral law, the ceremonial law, or the Oral law.

Reply Quote
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #184583
07/17/17 02:29 AM
07/17/17 02:29 AM
dedication  Offline OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Now there are three definitions of Ephesians 2:15 that readers can chose from.

1. Green's explanation -- no law is abolished, God takes away the enmity against the law. It is this enmity against God's law that Jesus came to destroy. By His death, He uplifts and glorifies the law.

^^^

2. Dedication's explanation -- since the passage directly refers to
a. circumcision and
b. the blood of Christ
And Christ abolished commands contained in ordinances that separated the Jews from the Gentiles.
The context seems to point to these laws as being taken away.

1. Circumcision
Romans 3;30 God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith.

2. The temple ceremonies for forgiveness and cleansing through sacrifices etc. from which Gentiles had been largely denied, but now the way to heavenly sanctuary by the blood of Christ was wide open for them as well as for the Jews. There was no difference.

Heb7:12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law
7:24 But this [man, Jesus], because he continues ever, has an unchangeable priesthood.
7:25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever lives to make intercession

^^^

Gary's interpretation,
The laws abolished were the Mishna and Gemara, the Oral Law. These were commands or laws devised by the Rabbi's which they attached to the Torah as binding (some even more binding than the Torah itself). Included in these were laws promoting the extreme separation and avoidance of the Gentiles. God never intended this enmity to exist.

^^^^

I still like my interpretation best, as I see if fitting best in the context, but the others have value as well --

Reply Quote
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #184584
07/17/17 03:03 AM
07/17/17 03:03 AM
dedication  Offline OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Now to get into this week's lesson!

LESSON FOUR
Justification by Faith Alone

Quote:
Galatians 2:15-21
15 We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles, 16 knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified.

17 “But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is Christ therefore a minister of sin? Certainly not!

(From the lesson)
"This passage contains some of the most compressed wording in the New Testament, and it is extremely significant, because it introduces us for the first time to several words and phrases that are foundational both to understanding the gospel and to the rest of Paul’s letter to the Galatians. These key words include justification, righteousness, works of law, belief, and not only faith but even the faith of Jesus.

What does Paul mean by these terms, and what do they teach us about the plan of salvation?"

After giving the background of the situation he is facing, Paul now shifts into theological discussions. We must continue to keep the setting in mind to understand the context.
Point One: Jews born as Jews need to be justified by faith in Christ. Though they have the law, the law can no more justify them then it can justify the Gentile.

We can rephrase it:
"Even though we, the natural Jews, have followed the law, yet we KNOW we need to be justified by Christ's blood just like the Gentiles.

Going through the rituals to become a Jew doesn't justify anyone. Circumcision won’t justify anyone; the works of the law won’t justify anyone. A circumcised sinner is still a sinner in need of salvation.
ALL, Jew and Gentile, need Christ for justification from sin.

The question is asked in the quarterly:

Paul uses the word justified four times in Galatians 2:16, 17. What does he mean by “justification”?
Duet. 25 “If there is a dispute between men, and they come to court, that the judges may judge them, and they justify the righteous and condemn the wicked...

"Justification is a legal term, used in courts of law. It deals with the verdict a judge pronounces when a person is declared innocent of the charges brought against him or her. It is the opposite of condemnation.

That's why Paul is emphasizing "a man is not justified by the works of the law". Why not?
Because all have sinned! If we appear in court, the law won't justify us, it will condemn us!

It matters not whether we were born into "the church" or born to atheist parents. The whole need for "justification" comes because people have learnt from the law that they are sinners and deserving death. Humbled by the law, there is only one place to go in repentance and that is to Jesus Who alone can forgive and justify.
Justification means that the guilt is removed and Christ's righteousness is given to the believer.

Does this mean Christ promotes sin, or gives license to sin just because, after looking at the law and finding ourseves sinners, we come to Christ for justification.
Paul says "God forbid"

This is reflected in several places of Paul's writings:

Romans 3:30 Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith.
3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.
6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? 6:2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

6:15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.
Paul refuses to build up the old Jewish idea again that because we have followed some of the rules and rituals we are not sinners in need of justification. We have all sinned and need to acknowledge that fact so we come with humble, contrite hearts to Jesus. God can not pardon, forgive, justify and write His laws on a heart that is not humbled before Him.

Reply Quote
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #184586
07/17/17 03:28 AM
07/17/17 03:28 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Does legal justification make one righteous?

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Reply Quote
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: APL] #184588
07/17/17 03:38 AM
07/17/17 03:38 AM
dedication  Offline OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Stick to the text -- what is Paul saying in this verse.

Galatians 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Justification is not sanctification
Both are necessary. Earlier in the lesson we talked about the need for circumcision -- circumcision of the flesh is no longer necessary, but the circumcision of the heart.

However here Paul is talking about justification.

Reply Quote
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/11/24 12:20 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!