HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,186 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Imminent financial crash ccoming [Re: ] #184548
07/15/17 09:58 PM
07/15/17 09:58 PM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
I'm going to throw in a bit of monkey wrench here -- but I have question.

Was America founded on Christian/Judeo principles or was it founded on something else, but the influence of many of it's citizens who held to Christian principles gave it it's moral character?

There is a difference.

The idea in many Christian's minds today, is if we could just get Christians into government and pass Christian laws, America would be great again. But isn't that exactly what prophecy says will happen and it will be the ruin of America?

Re: Imminent financial crash ccoming [Re: dedication] #184549
07/15/17 10:36 PM
07/15/17 10:36 PM
G
Garywk  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Originally Posted By: dedication
I'm going to throw in a bit of monkey wrench here -- but I have question.

Was America founded on Christian/Judeo principles or was it founded on something else, but the influence of many of it's citizens who held to Christian principles gave it it's moral character?

There is a difference.

The idea in many Christian's minds today, is if we could just get Christians into government and pass Christian laws, America would be great again. But isn't that exactly what prophecy says will happen and it will be the ruin of America?

Good question. For a short answer go and read my last post to kland in the "Crucifix with Jesus hanging on cross hate crime?" thread. I quote a fair amount out of the first chapter of Alexis de Toqueville's book, American Institutions and Their Influence. For a longer answer download and read the book. It's free from a variety of sources. I got it from the Gutenberg Project.

For a very short answer, de Toqueville thought that the religion of the Pilgrims and their political ideals, which were the basis for our form of government, were inseparable.

To me the answer is pretty clear. Let me know what you think.

Re: Imminent financial crash ccoming [Re: ] #184550
07/15/17 11:24 PM
07/15/17 11:24 PM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Now it's true that the Puritans and other Christian groups that fled the old country to find religious freedom in America had a tremendous influence on America's development. The Christian climate was strong. However, the Puritans had not yet accepted a true sense of "religious liberty". You wouldn't enjoy life in their colony if you didn't keep Sunday, or if you were a Quaker or some other religion that differed from theirs.

If you wanted religious liberty you had to go to Roger Williams' colony.

But those were just colonies, when talking about the actual forming of the US government we find a different ideology entering into the picture. The Pilgrims did not found the United States.

When we study history we find that the Revolutionary War and the nation's government were structured by the tenets of Freemasonry, not God's Word.

This was the age of the revolutions.
Some of the same freemasonry minds that helped instigate the French Revolution, also helped instigate the American Revolution.
Men like -- Lafayette, French liaison to the Colonies, was a Freemason.

Thomas Paine was an English American writer whose "Common Sense" and other writings influenced the American Revolution, and helped pave the way for the Declaration of Independence. Yet he was an infidel, and even shows up in EGW writings as an agent of Satan! Yet he used the Bible -- which deceives many into thinking he was a Christian.

Thomas Jefferson was an American Founding Father who was the principal author of the Declaration of Independence and later served as the third President of the United States, but he was a deist with Masonic connections.

George Washington a high level Mason, was very involved with that society. The laying of the corner stone of America's capital was done in full Masonic ritual with G. Washington in Masonic dress.

People confuse masonry with Christianity because it uses some of the same language, but masonry is not Christian.

Yes, it brought freedom of religion --
Banishing the power of any church gaining control of government and coercing the whole society to worship in what they believed was the right way to worship.
It taught self government and moral responsibility.

This freedom of worship allowed Christianity to prosper in it's various forms, and this also greatly influenced American culture. It was truly a gift worked out for this country by God.

IF the Christians had largely maintained their integrity and commitment to God's law, then freedom of religion would have continued to be a great blessing.
It was the Christian influence that made it work.

But two things have happened --
Christianity has lost it's influence, one reason is because they attacked God's law, nailed it to the cross, in order to avoid the true Sabbath.
Secondly the masonic side of the equation has gained the upper hand in society --

America will yet reap the results that befell France

..."anarchy is seeking to sweep away all law, not only divine, but human. The centralizing of wealth and power; the vast combinations for the enriching of the few at the expense of the many; the combinations of the poorer classes for the defense of their interests and claims; the spirit of unrest, of riot and bloodshed; the world-wide dissemination of the same teachings that led to the French Revolution--all are tending to involve the whole world in a struggle similar to that which convulsed France. {Ed 228.2}

Re: Imminent financial crash ccoming [Re: ] #184551
07/15/17 11:36 PM
07/15/17 11:36 PM
G
Garywk  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
dedication,

What was the difference between the French revolution and the revolution of the American colonies? There is a very large difference.

Re: Imminent financial crash ccoming [Re: ] #184552
07/15/17 11:47 PM
07/15/17 11:47 PM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
The difference that I see, was the Christian influence.

Re: Imminent financial crash ccoming [Re: ] #184553
07/15/17 11:54 PM
07/15/17 11:54 PM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
In the French revolution the "Christian influence" was that of the Catholic tyrannical nature. The protestants had been cruelly massacred (Bartholomew massacre being the worst) by the church, but that was just one in many. Protestantism was basically driven out of France.
The lessons taught by the "church" were well learnt. And the "church" itself reaped the results in the revolution.

In America the Protestant influence was strong.
It countered the "evil" of masonry, and thus the principles of self government and liberties worked.

But still America was not founded as a Christian nation. It was founded as a "free nation". What it needs is revival in the churches to regain it's influence on culture in general, it does not need an enforcement of Christianity by government (not that I'm suggesting that you are recommending that, as I don't believe you are, but there are a lot of people who are)

Re: Imminent financial crash ccoming [Re: ] #184554
07/16/17 12:45 AM
07/16/17 12:45 AM
G
Garywk  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Here is what I said earlier about the foundation of our form of government, only said much better than I can say it.

Quote:
After the birth of a human being, his early years are obscurely spent in the toils or pleasures of childhood. As he grows up, the world receives him, when his manhood begins, and he enters into contact with his fellows. He is then studied for the first time, and it is imagined that the germe of the vices and the virtues of his maturer years is then formed.
This, if I am not mistaken, is a great error. We must begin higher up; we must watch the infant in his mother's arms; we must see the first images which the external world casts upon the dark mirror of his mind; the first occurrences which he beholds; we must hear the first words which awaken the sleeping powers of thought, and stand by his earliest efforts, if we would understand the prejudices, the habits, and the passions, which will rule his life. The entire man is, so to speak, to be seen in the cradle of the child.
The growth of nations presents something analogous to this; they all bear some marks of their origin; and the circumstances which accompanied their birth and contributed to their rise, affect the whole term of their being.
If we were able to go back to the elements of states, and to examine the oldest monuments of their history, I doubt not that we should discover the primary cause of the prejudices, the habits, the ruling passions, and in short of all that constitutes what is called the national character: we should then find the explanation of certain customs which now seem at variance with prevailing manners, of such laws as conflict with established principles, and of such incoherent opinions as are here and there to be met with in society, like those fragments of broken chains which we sometimes see hanging from the vault of an edifice, and supporting nothing. This might explain the destinies of certain nations which seem borne along by an unknown force to ends of which they themselves are ignorant. But hitherto facts have been wanting to researches of this kind: the spirit of inquiry has only come upon communities in their latter days; and when they at length turned their attention to contemplate their origin, time had already obscured it, or ignorance and pride adorned it with truth-concealing fables.
America is the only country in which it has been possible to study the natural and tranquil growth of society, and where the influence exercised on the future condition of states by their origin is clearly distinguishable.

This is the beginning of the second chapter of the book I quoted above.

Notice how de Toqueville is in agreement with Ellen White as to how much the influence of the formative years of the child affects what the man later becomes. He ties this directly to the how the religion and politics found in New England--the Pilgrims--affected the formation of the US.

What I have been saying so far does not include the southern colonies, for it is there that a far different condition existed. There aristocracy ruled, morality was basically non-existent. No sooner were the southern colonies formed than slavery was introduced there. There the lower classes, the slaves, adventurers and the deported criminals from England were settled.

But, it was not from the south that our form of government was created. Yes, it had influence for before the constitution would be accepted by the south there were political compromises made or there would have never been a United States.

Ben Franklin is often said to be very irreligious, very secular. Let me give you a quote of what he said during the debates that took place during the framing of the constitution.

Quote:
We have arrived, Mr. President . . . at a very momentous and interesting crisis in our deliberations. Hitherto our views have been as harmonious, and our progress as great as could reasonably have been expected. But now an unlooked for and formidable obstacle is thrown in our way, which threatens to arrest our course, and, if not skillfully removed, to render all our fond hopes of a constitution abortive.

It is, however, to be feared that the members of this Convention are not in a temper, at this moment, to approach the subject in which we differ, in this spirit. I would, therefore, propose, Mr. President, that, without proceeding further in this business at this time, the Convention shall adjourn for three days, in order to let the present ferment pass off, and to afford time for a more full, free, and dispassionate investigation of the subject; and I would earnestly recommend to the members of this Convention, that they spend the time of this recess, not in associating with their own party, and devising new arguments to fortify themselves in their old opinions, but that they mix with members of opposite sentiments, lend a patient ear to their reasonings, and candidly allow them all the weight to which they may be entitled; and when we assemble again, I hope it will be with a determination to form a constitution, if not such an one as we can individually, and in all respects, approve, yet the best, which, under existing circumstances, can be obtained.

Before I sit down, Mr. President, I will suggest another matter; and I am really surprised that it has not been proposed by some other member at an earlier period of our deliberations. I will suggest, Mr. President, that propriety of nominating and appointing, before we separate, a chaplain to this Convention, whose duty it shall be uniformly to assemble with us, and introduce the business of each day by and address to the Creator of the universe, and the Governor of all nations, beseeching Him to preside in our council, enlighten our minds with a portion of heavenly wisdom, influence our hearts with a love of truth and justice, and crown our labors with complete and abundant success!

What follows are a couple more of Ben Franklin quotes. The first one comes from a pamphlet he wrote and published.

Quote:
May the God of wisdom, strength, and power, the Lord of the armies of Israel, inspire us with prudence in this time of danger, take away from us all the seeds of contention and division, and unite the hearts and counsels of all of us, of whatever sect or nation, in one bond of peace, brotherly love, and generous public spirit; may he give us strength and resolution to amend our lives, and remove from among us every thing that is displeasing to him; afford us his most gracious protection, confound the designs of our enemies, and give peace in all our borders, is the sincere prayer of
A TRADESMAN of Philadelphia.

This quote comes from Franklin's autobiography.

Quote:
And now I speak of thanking God, I desire with all humility to acknowledge that I owe the mentioned happiness of my past life to His kind providence, which lead me to the means I used and gave them success. My belief of this induces me to hope, though I must not presume, that the same goodness will still be exercised toward me, in continuing that happiness, or enabling me to bear a fatal reverse, which I may experience as others have done; the complexion of my future fortune being known to Him only in whose power it is to bless to us even our afflictions.

I will also say that almost to a man the founding fathers of the US said God was responsible for the success of the revolutionary war.

Re: Imminent financial crash ccoming [Re: dedication] #184555
07/16/17 12:56 AM
07/16/17 12:56 AM
G
Garywk  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
In the French revolution the "Christian influence" was that of the Catholic tyrannical nature. The protestants had been cruelly massacred (Bartholomew massacre being the worst) by the church, but that was just one in many. Protestantism was basically driven out of France.
The lessons taught by the "church" were well learnt. And the "church" itself reaped the results in the revolution.

It countered the "evil" of masonry, and thus the principles of self government and liberties worked.

But still America was not founded as a Christian nation. It was founded as a "free nation". What it needs is revival in the churches to regain it's influence on culture in general, it does not need an enforcement of Christianity by government (not that I'm suggesting that you are recommending that, as I don't believe you are, but there are a lot of people who are)

Umm... The French Revolution deified the Goddess of Reason. The French revolution was the impetus for what has come to be known as rationalism, which denies miracles, the divinity of Christ, the inspiration by the Holy Spirit of the prophets of the Bible, etc.... Catholicism, as was all religion, was execrated by the leaders of the that revolution. These men were all anti-God.

The difference between the two revolutions was the Americans welcomed God and the French denied Him and all He stands for.

A very good small book on this by a Millerite is The Origin, Nature, and Influence of Neology. The author is N.N. Whiting.
Here is a link to an online copy at the EGW Estate. https://m.egwwritings.org/en/book/1467.2#0

The first 30 or so pages of the book outline this history.

Last edited by Gary K; 07/16/17 12:58 AM.
Re: Imminent financial crash ccoming [Re: ] #184557
07/16/17 01:00 AM
07/16/17 01:00 AM
G
Garywk  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
dedication,

Being founded as a Christian nation, and being founded on Christian principles are two different things. I have never said the US was founded as a Christian nation. I have always said the latter. That's the same thing de Toqueville is saying in his book.

Re: Imminent financial crash ccoming [Re: ] #184558
07/16/17 01:48 AM
07/16/17 01:48 AM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Gary K

Umm... The French Revolution deified the Goddess of Reason. The French revolution was the impetus for what has come to be known as rationalism, which denies miracles, the divinity of Christ, the inspiration by the Holy Spirit of the prophets of the Bible, etc.... Catholicism, as was all religion, was execrated by the leaders of the that revolution. These men were all anti-God.

The difference between the two revolutions was the Americans welcomed God and the French denied Him and all He stands for.

I guess I wasn't clear enough.
The Christian influence that the French people knew was that of the tyrannical Catholic church.

It's true the revolutionists throw off all christianity, and I did state that the "church" reaped the results of the lessons she had taught.

It was the church that banned the Bible from the general population and murdered those who dared proclaim the truths found in it's pages. They taught the lessons that bore fruit in the revolution.

True, the revolution, revolted against Christianity, they threw out the true with the false.

But remember:

Quote:
The war against the Bible, carried forward for so many centuries in France, culminated in the scenes of the Revolution. That terrible outbreaking was but the legitimate result of Rome's suppression of the Scriptures. It presented the most striking illustration which the world has ever witnessed of the working out of the papal policy-- an illustration of the results to which for more than a thousand
years the teaching of the Roman Church had been tending. {GC 265.2}

It was popery that had begun the work which atheism was completing. The policy of Rome had wrought out those conditions, social, political, and religious, that were hurrying France on to ruin. A writer, speaking of the horrors of the Revolution, says: “Those excesses are in truth to be charged upon the throne and the church.” In strict justice they are to be charged upon the church. Popery had poisoned the minds of kings against the Reformation, as an enemy to the crown, an element of discord that would be fatal to the peace and harmony of the nation. It was the genius of Rome that by this means inspired the direst cruelty and the most galling oppression which proceeded from the throne. {GC88 276.4}

The spirit of liberty went with the Bible. Wherever the gospel was received, the minds of the people were awakened. They began to cast off the shackles that had held them bondslaves of ignorance, vice, and superstition. They began to think and act as men. Monarchs saw it, and trembled for their despotism. Rome was not slow to inflame their jealous fears. {GC88 277.1}

..blind and inexorable bigotry chased from her soil every teacher of virtue, every champion of order, every honest defender of the throne; it said to the men who would have made their country a ‘renown and glory’ in the earth, Choose which you will have, a stake or exile. At last the ruin of the State was complete; there remained no more conscience to be proscribed; no more religion to be dragged to the stake; no more patriotism to be chased into banishment.” And the Revolution, with all its horrors, was the dire result. {GC88 278.2}

Quote:
...the Albigenses of France...The brave Huguenots..The Protestants were counted as outlaws, a price was set upon their heads, and they were hunted down like wild beasts. {GC 271.2}
... But blackest in the black catalogue of crime, most horrible among the fiendish deeds of all the dreadful centuries, was the St. Bartholomew Massacre...Seventy thousand of the very flower of the nation perished. {GC 272.2}

All too well the people had learned the lessons of cruelty and torture which Rome had so diligently taught. A day of retribution at last had come. It was not now the disciples of Jesus that were thrust into dungeons and dragged to the stake. Long ago these had perished or been driven into exile. Unsparing Rome now felt the deadly power of those whom she had trained to delight in deeds of blood. GC 283

Unhappy France reaped in blood the harvest she had sown. Terrible were the results of her submission to the controlling power of Rome. Where France, under the influence of Romanism, had set up the first stake at the opening of the Reformation, there the Revolution set up its first guillotine. On the very spot where the first martyrs to the Protestant faith were burned in the sixteenth century, the first victims were guillotined in the eighteenth. In repelling the gospel, which would have brought her healing, France had opened the door to infidelity and ruin. When the restraints of God's law were cast aside, it was found that the laws of man were inadequate to hold in check the powerful tides of human passion; and the nation swept on to revolt and anarchy. The war against the Bible inaugurated an era which stands in the world's history as the Reign of Terror. Peace and happiness were banished from the homes and hearts of men. {GC 282

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!