HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,795 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #185032
08/28/17 04:37 AM
08/28/17 04:37 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Dedication, you are refusing to permit the comparison of another passage of scripture to the one you are studying. I'm not sidestepping, I'm pulling in more information. You look at a tree, while I look at the forest. Our views are different based on our different perspectives. I recommend you raise your perspective to a higher level. You'll see more that way.

Now, would you be interested in finding a match for the balances used to judge us in Galatians?

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: Green Cochoa] #185033
08/28/17 06:12 AM
08/28/17 06:12 AM
dedication  Offline OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
How am I side stepping - I spend considerable time showing God's law is still binding, God's law defines sin, and no we are not to keep living in sin, but because I put this in context with the verses in Galatians, you falsely accused me saying I made obedience unnecessary. Which is blatantly a false witness.

You have still not addressed any of the verses in Galatians, under discussion. Your comments did NOT compare anything in Galatians. In fact I get the impression that you think Galatians is heresy and justification is dangerous, and you quickly wish to change the subject back to law.

Galatians will come to the "balance" in later chapters.
It is a very BALANCED chapter if you would only really study it instead of standing in fear of it.

Why do you want side step those verses and jump ahead to the judgment first, which would find you WANTING in the balances of heaven, if you ignore the first parts of the chapter? Why not look at Paul's sequence instead of immediately jumping into judgment. Indeed Paul makes it clear if we only see the law, that law will condemn us to eternal death.
Yes, God's law is the standard and it is far more righteous, especially if you compare it to God's character, who has such glorious holiness we'd fall dead in His very presence.
No way can our efforts reach that level of righteousness, indeed, we need to understand those first chapters for Salvation is NOT by law keeping.

Having been justified by Christ, clothed in His perfect righteousness, and abiding in Him, walking with Him in obedience, with our will placed under His will, leads to righteousness that is far greater than the keeping of the mere letter of law.
(Please notice I said greater -- I did notsay ignoring the law)

And yes -- to pass the judgment, our righteousness MUST be far greater than merely making an effort to stay in the boundary's of the commandments.

Keeping the letter of the law only, engaging in religious practices and moral living -- is outward works, self propelled, self righteousness, the thing Paul is warning only ends in destruction, and leaves one in bondage to sin, it will not cleanse and is the scourge of Laodicea.

Actually keeping the basic outline of the law outwardly isn't all that hard. Thus people think they have it together, but are in reality poor, blind, miserably entrenched in sin, lacking Christ's robe of righteousness.

There is a huge difference between mere "law keeping",
and living with God's righteousness, the fullness of His law written in our hearts and minds, shaping our whole characters.

By fully accepting that one is being justified by Christ, declared righteous by His, Christ's righteousness -- adopted as His child, a citizen of the heavenly kingdom, then reckoning ourselves dead to sin and alive in Christ, filling our minds with thoughts of Him, abiding in Him, walking with Him in humble obedience -- that leads to righteousness that is internal, resulting in a "law keeping" with God's standards written in our minds and hearts. This reaches far deeper and broader than the mere keeping of the letter of the law.

What are the balances by which we are judged?
No -- not by outward works, but by our whole hearted co-operation with Christ working righteousness in us, which leads to exhibiting His works in our lives.
Do we glorify HIM?

Are we living to bring glory to HIM Who saved us, by the way we conduct ourselves, by the way we relate to others, or are we living to earn salvation?
The first is what we should long and strive for, the second is self righteousness and ends in failure and will never tip the balances in favor for salvation anyway.

We are to reflect His character, something we can do only if His presence is with us.
-- we don't become little christs.

If you want a chapter not by Paul, try John 15

Reply Quote
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #185035
08/28/17 07:02 AM
08/28/17 07:02 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: dedication
In fact I get the impression that you think Galatians is heresy and justification is dangerous, and you quickly wish to change the subject back to law.

What did you think Galatians was talking about? Are YOU talking about Galatians, or not?

Yes, I have been talking about the law--which Paul in his letter to the Galatians also does. If you want to talk about "Galatians" instead of the law, go ahead. Maybe you could start by telling us about the members of the church there and why Paul would be writing to them.

You have still not addressed any of the verses in Galatians, under discussion. Your comments did NOT compare anything in Galatians. In fact I get the impression that you think Galatians is heresy and justification is dangerous, and you quickly wish to change the subject back to law.

I have been addressing its concepts. The verses have already been quoted here. However, you do not see the connections. If the Bible is a whole, as I believe it is, then other verses do indeed relate to those in Galatians. Here's an example:

Galatians 2:16

Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

VERSUS

James 2:24
Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

Praise God for the Book of James! God knew Paul needed to be put into perspective. In light of such sharp contrasts as we see in the above, it seems shameful for anyone to study Paul in isolation. I believe the writers of the quarterly have done the church a disservice by ignoring these tempering statements.

Let's take a closer look:

First, what does Paul say?

Originally Posted By: Paul
Galatians
3:5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, [doeth he it] by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
3:6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.
3:7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.
3:8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, [saying], In thee shall all nations be blessed.
3:9 So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.
3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed [is] every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
3:11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, [it is] evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
3:12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.
3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed [is] every one that hangeth on a tree:
3:14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.
3:15 Brethren, I speak after the manner of men; Though [it be] but a man's covenant, yet [if it be] confirmed, no man disannulleth, or addeth thereto.
3:16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.
3:17 And this I say, [that] the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.

Now contrast that with James.

Originally Posted By: James
James
2:14 What [doth it] profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
2:15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
2:16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be [ye] warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what [doth it] profit?
2:17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
2:18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: show me thy faith without thy works, and I will show thee my faith by my works.
2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
2:20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
2:21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
2:22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
2:23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
2:24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
2:25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent [them] out another way?
2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Clearly, both Paul and James are addressing faith in the same context--that of Abraham. Paul disconnects justification from works; whereas James integrally links them. To understand what Paul is saying in chapter 4, one must necessarily understand his philosophy as expressed in chapter 3. So, while Paul says Abraham was justified merely by believing, and NOT by works, James says Abraham was justified by works--and he explains why in a logical manner, saying that works demonstrate faith.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
...The Lord does not save sinners by abolishing His law, the foundation of His government in heaven and in earth. The punishment has been endured by the sinner's substitute. Not that God is cruel and merciless, and Christ so merciful that He died on Calvary's cross to abolish a law so arbitrary that it needed to be extinguished, crucified between two thieves. The throne of God must not bear one stain of crime, one taint of sin. In the councils of heaven, before the world was created, the Father and the Son covenanted together that if man proved disloyal to God, Christ, one with the Father, would take the place of the transgressor, and suffer the penalty of justice that must fall upon him (MS 145, 1897). {6BC 1070.4}

By the way, justification is not "dangerous." Do you know what it is? Justification is simply "pardon." As for "Galatians" being heresy, that depends on the interpretation made of it. If it is used to support heresy, though, that does not truly make the book itself heretical.

I cannot stress enough the importance of comparing Paul's writings to the rest of scripture. To fail to do so is to risk great theological error, with consequences up to and including eternal damnation (see 2 Peter 3).

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Reply Quote
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #185041
08/29/17 03:47 AM
08/29/17 03:47 AM
dedication  Offline OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
If you read previous posts, you would see that I fully agree that the Lord does not save sinners by abolishing His law.

Originally Posted By: Green
By the way, justification is not "dangerous." Do you know what it is? Justification is simply "pardon." As for "Galatians" being heresy, that depends on the interpretation made of it. If it is used to support heresy, though, that does not truly make the book itself heretical.

I'm glad to know that you think "justification is NOT dangerous", however you do not really understand "justification" if you think it only means "pardon".
Now pardon is an important part of it, but if you think it ONLY means "pardon" then you still view the law as YOUR part in working out your own merits that will enable you to stand in the judgment. Yes, that theological error can reap very sad consequences for it will NEVER even come close to what you need to pass the judgment.

Also glad you don't think Galatians is "heresy".
No, it's not heresy! It is the gospel truth! However, the same spirit prevalent in 1888, where the gospel from Galatians and Romans was presented, and highly resisted by many of the leading brethren, is still rather evident.

Those brethren were convinced those young upstarts, Jones and Waggoner, were out to belittle God's law, and tell people it was just fine to sin. Which Jones and Waggoner were NOT doing in their presentation.
Adventists were so enmeshed in defending the law, they had lost sight of the meaning of "justification". Oh, they still believed in "pardon", but not in the full understanding of justification.

This was exactly what Paul had to deal with.
The Jews -- (Christian Jews following Paul and causing confusion in the churches Paul established) were zealous for the law!
What were they doing? They were coming with their long lists of things the Gentiles had to perform in order to be counted as belonging to the household of God and heirs of the promises.
They didn't outright deny Christ, I'm sure they believed sins could be forgiven, but they took the people's thoughts AWAY from a relationship with Christ -- to a self centered focus on their own works to win God's favor.

Until we too, learn to understand the full meaning of "justification" and what it really means in our lives, the latter rain will not fall upon us.

PAUL AND JAMES

Paul is explaining justification through a living faith in Christ -- it is NOT obtained by works.

James is telling us that a person in whose life there is no change has never experienced living faith or justification.
Their faith is DEAD.

Jesus says, those who ABIDE IN ME will bring forth much fruit, without Me you can do NOTHING (See John 15)

Reply Quote
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #185042
08/29/17 05:06 AM
08/29/17 05:06 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
If you read previous posts, you would see that I fully agree that the Lord does not save sinners by abolishing His law.

Originally Posted By: Green

I'm glad to know that you think "justification is NOT dangerous", however you do not really understand "justification" if you think it only means "pardon".
Now pardon is an important part of it, but if you think it ONLY means "pardon" then you still view the law as YOUR part in working out your own merits that will enable you to stand in the judgment. Yes, that theological error can reap very sad consequences for it will NEVER even come close to what you need to pass the judgment.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
"Being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ." Justification means pardon. It means that the heart, purged from dead works, is prepared to receive the blessing of sanctification. God has told us what we must do to receive this blessing. "Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure." "Do all things without murmurings and disputings; that ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world." {ST, December 17, 1902 par. 3}

Does that help update your understanding?

Think about it logically, for a moment: If "pardon" entailed merely uttering the words "te absolvo," and nothing more, what would it accomplish? In order for God to truly pardon us, He must hide our sins. In Psalms, we are told: "As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us" (Psalms 103:12, KJV). That's a long ways. In fact, that's an impossible distance--for east never meets west. So, how does God accomplish this? By choosing to accept Jesus' perfect life in place of our own--and seeing His character in our stead. That is true pardon--and justification.

Also glad you don't think Galatians is "heresy".
No, it's not heresy! It is the gospel truth! However, the same spirit prevalent in 1888, where the gospel from Galatians and Romans was presented, and highly resisted by many of the leading brethren, is still rather evident.

Those brethren were convinced those young upstarts, Jones and Waggoner, were out to belittle God's law, and tell people it was just fine to sin. Which Jones and Waggoner were NOT doing in their presentation.
Adventists were so enmeshed in defending the law, they had lost sight of the meaning of "justification". Oh, they still believed in "pardon", but not in the full understanding of justification.

This was exactly what Paul had to deal with.
The Jews -- (Christian Jews following Paul and causing confusion in the churches Paul established) were zealous for the law!
What were they doing? They were coming with their long lists of things the Gentiles had to perform in order to be counted as belonging to the household of God and heirs of the promises.
They didn't outright deny Christ, I'm sure they believed sins could be forgiven, but they took the people's thoughts AWAY from a relationship with Christ -- to a self centered focus on their own works to win God's favor.

Until we too, learn to understand the full meaning of "justification" and what it really means in our lives, the latter rain will not fall upon us.

PAUL AND JAMES

Paul is explaining justification through a living faith in Christ -- it is NOT obtained by works.

James is telling us that a person in whose life there is no change has never experienced living faith or justification.
Their faith is DEAD.

Jesus says, those who ABIDE IN ME will bring forth much fruit, without Me you can do NOTHING (See John 15)

If one never obeys God's commands to humble himself or herself, to pray, to seek God, to make confession for sin, will he or she be forgiven? But these are works that we must do--and that God will not do for us. Therefore, I take the position that Paul should not be understood as speaking in absolutes. His thoughts were not detailed--he was not a detail-oriented person. His theology must be understood in more general terms, but leave the specifics for other Bible authors to explain. Paul's thought is simply that our salvation will not be merit-based. He does not teach that we need not obey. But some go so far as to claim that he indicates our works are neither necessary nor helpful toward our salvation. James would disagree. So would John. And Peter.

Paul himself says "work out your own salvation with fear and trembling" (Philippians 2:12, KJV). Interesting, no?

...but it seems you don't wish to weigh in on the balances.

Last edited by Green Cochoa; 08/29/17 05:08 AM.

Reply Quote
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #185043
08/29/17 05:36 AM
08/29/17 05:36 AM
dedication  Offline OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
WHAT IS FAITH?

Faith isn’t about feelings, it is not depended upon our senses, faith is more objective than our senses, it’s believing the promises in scripture, and trusting in a Person, Jesus Christ. Faith is based on something outside of ourselves, not a resource from within, but in the ultimate resource that is standing at the right hand of God.
Faith is putting our trust in a Person. Some people think faith is an experience, or feeling, but faith is in opposition to that, even when negative feelings emerge, or it seems that Christ isn't listening, faith presses on beyond feelings and experience and relies on God’s promises in His Word.

Romans 1:17 “For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

Romans 3:22,25 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe.

Galatians 5:5 For we through the Spirit eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

And yes, faith, trusts God enough to follow His leading even when it didn't make sense from a human standpoint.
Noah -- by faith builds a boat -- even though it had never rained before.
Abraham -- by faith up and leaves his country not know where God would lead him.
Moses -- by faith turns his back on the throne of Egypt to cast in his lot with slaves.

WHAT IS JUSTIFICATION?

Justification is pardon for sins by the blood of the Lamb, it is imputation of righteousness, a righteousness not of our own.

The parable of the prodigal son gives us a picture of justification.

Luke15:22 And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him.
15:21 And the son said unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy son.
15:22 But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet:
15:23 And bring hither the fatted calf, and kill it; and let us eat, and be merry:
15:24 For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found.

We see:
The Father eagerly reaching out to bring the sinner home.
The sinner acknowledges his unworthiness, reinstatement is entirely by grace.
He is covered with a robe of righteousness.
He is "adopted" as a son bearing the signet of full privileges.
There is a calf "sacrificed" -- the son is fully pardoned -- but more He is fully and joyfully accepted as a child of the Father.

Justification is pardon. The sins of the repentant sinner are gone, taken, by Jesus to the cross where He died that we might live.
But pardon, by itself isn't "righteousness". Righteousness is right doing, right motives. In justification, Christ's righteousness is imputed to us. His merits applied to our account. His robe of righteousness clothes us.

We are adopted as members of God's family.

Quote:
The object of our faith, hope, and love, should be Jesus,--Jesus always, Jesus only. A mere profession of faith will not save us; we must have real faith in Christ. Then the heart will be renewed; we shall be born again. Christ takes our sins upon himself, and imparts to us his righteousness. {GCDB, April 13, 1891 par. 31}

We "die" to sin, and are raised to newness of life in Christ (symbolized by our baptism.
Justification is how God sets us right through a substitute, someone who takes my place – in the place of me – This is the reality of the perfection that is lived out in the life of Christ. Christ fulfilled righteousness, His life meets all the requirements set out by God’s law. To save humanity one needs infinite righteousness. Christ in his person is infinite. We need a perfect obedience to the law – and Christ is the only One who gave that perfect obedience to the law. That perfect life must be placed on record, instead of, in the place of, our highly faulty righteousness. The same with Christ’s death; the wages of sin is death, Christ took our sins and died in our place. The required righteousness was lived out by Christ while He was on this earth walking among men as a man. It is His righteousness, His perfection, all the prophecy has prophesied that there would be a kinsman Redeemer. Redemption is in something more objective then ourselves, it is in the person Jesus Christ. This is opposed to something more subjective which is my experiences, my feelings, or something mystical that was experienced.
Why is it important?

It is a misleading to believe that the exaltation of justification by faith will lead people to deny the need to overcome sin, for it is by the exaltation of justification by faith in Christ and HIS righteousness that the sinner is brought to a true knowledge of their sinfulness and is finally given the power to break the binding chains of Satan. The more we lift up Jesus, the more we talk of His beauty, the more the heart will bind itself in sympathy with Christ and His sufferings. The more we present His sacrifice and behold His matchless love, the more we will be changed into his likeness, and by uniting ourselves with Christ in gratitude for salvation, the heart learns loyalty to God, and fidelity to His commandments. By the exaltation of Christ’s righteousness, we learn that even our offerings of obedience are totally insufficient to earn heaven and we confess our utter dependency on Christ’s saving righteousness. In binding our hearts in sympathy with Him that loved us the believer runs away from sin, willing to rather die than to wound Christ afresh by knowingly committing sin. All this is the result of the exaltation of Christ’s substitutionary righteousness and it is by this emphases that the believer becomes sealed against sin and prepared for translation.

Justification...

Let the subject be made distinct and plain that it is not possible to effect anything in our standing before God or in the gift of God to us through creature merit. Should faith and works purchase the gift of salvation for anyone, then the Creator is under obligation to the creature. Here is an opportunity for falsehood to be accepted as truth. If any man can merit salvation by anything he may do, then he is in the same position as the Catholic to do penance for his sins. Salvation, then, is partly of debt, that may be earned as wages. If man cannot, by any of his good works, merit salvation, then it must be wholly of grace, received by man as a sinner because he receives and believes in Jesus. It is wholly a free gift. Justification by faith is placed beyond controversy. And all this controversy is ended, as soon as the matter is settled that the merits of fallen man in his good works can never procure eternal life for him. {FW 19.3}

Sanctification.

Sanctification has the meaning of being set apart for holiness.

Justification sets us apart -- pardons and cloths us with Christ's righteousness,
We, having "died" to sin are alive in Christ.

Sanctification concerns our relationship with Christ and His Holy Spirit. It requires whole hearted "abiding" in Christ, with full faith, trusting Him and obeying Him.

Phil. 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform [it] until the day of Jesus Christ:
1:11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

Reply Quote
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #185044
08/29/17 06:36 AM
08/29/17 06:36 AM
dedication  Offline OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Comprehension?

What is meant by works?

The works Paul is talking about, that have no part in justification, are things done in order to gain merits with God.

When we speak of "works" the word "works" is not referring to our crying out to God to save us, it is not talking about our sorrow for sin, or confessing them before God, it is not talking about our longing to be more like Jesus, it is not talking about our love for Him.

I do not see turning to God in prayer and crying out to Him for His salvation as "works" nor are "repentance" "confession of sins" "seeking God" "loving Him" classified in the same category of "works".

If a person is doing them as a matter of "works" I fear they are not genuine.

Those things need to come from the heart, not just some action of works.
And even those responses that bring us nearer and nearer to God are "gifts of grace" from God, we have the choice of "hardening our hearts" or responding in loving co-operation.

A DIFFERENT WORD:
G2716 "katergazomai" "doing" or "resulting in"

For godly sorrow worketh G2716 repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh G2716 death.

When Paul writes "work out your own salvation" he's not talking about "works". "ergon"
He is using an entirely different word. "katergazomai" G2716
which has more the meaning "doing" or "resulting in"

On the other hand
"ergon" has more of a business oriented working meaning.
It is usually translated as "works".

That is the word Paul uses in these texts:
Rom 3:20
Therefore by the works G2041 of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Romans 3:27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? G2041 Nay: but by the law of faith.

Rom 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds G2041 of the law.

Rom 4:2 For if Abraham were justified by works, G2041 he hath whereof to glory; but not before God.

Rom 4:6Even as David also describes the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputes righteousness without works, G2041

Titus 3: 5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Reply Quote
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #185045
08/29/17 07:03 AM
08/29/17 07:03 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
From the rent sepulcher of Joseph rings forth the proclamation, “I am the resurrection and the life. Those who believe in Me, and do the works of righteousness that I do, are justified, sanctified, made white and tried. They have obtained godliness and eternal life.” {OFC 239.1}

One man becomes ruler of ten cities, another of five, another of two, each man receiving exactly in proportion to the improvement he has made on the talents entrusted to his keeping. Our efforts in works of righteousness, in our own behalf and for the salvation of souls, will have a decided influence on our recompense.--The Review and Herald, Oct. 25, 1881. {3SM 147.4}

Religion consists in doing the words of Christ; not doing to earn God's favor, but because, all undeserving, we have received the gift of His love. Christ places the salvation of man, not upon profession merely, but upon faith that is made manifest in works of righteousness. Doing, not saying merely, is expected of the followers of Christ. It is through action that character is built. "As many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God." Romans 8:14. Not those whose hearts are touched by the Spirit, not those who now and then yield to its power, but they that are led by the Spirit, are the sons of God. {MB 149.2}

Do you desire to become a follower of Christ, yet know not how to begin? Are you in darkness and know not how to find the light? Follow the light you have. Set your heart to obey what you do know of the word of God. His power, His very life, dwells in His word. As you receive the word in faith, it will give you power to obey. As you give heed to the light you have, greater light will come. You are building on God's word, and your character will be builded after the similitude of the character of Christ. {MB 150.1}

Reply Quote
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #185047
08/29/17 02:47 PM
08/29/17 02:47 PM
dedication  Offline OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
The Two Covenants
Lesson for August 26-September 2, 2017

21 Tell me, you who desire to be under the law, do you not hear the law?
22 For it is written that Abraham had two sons: the one by a bondwoman, the other by a freewoman.
23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born according to the flesh, and he of the freewoman through promise,
24 which things are symbolic. For these are the two covenants: the one from Mount Sinai which gives birth to bondage, which is Hagar—
25 for this Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia, and corresponds to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children—
26 but the Jerusalem above is free, which is the mother of us all.
27 For it is written:
“Rejoice, O barren,
You who do not bear!
Break forth and shout,
You who are not in labor!
For the desolate has many more children
Than she who has a husband.”

28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are children of promise.
29 But, as he who was born according to the flesh then persecuted him who was born according to the Spirit, even so it is now.
30 Nevertheless what does the Scripture say? “Cast out the bondwoman and her son, for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.”
31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman but of the free.

Romans 10:1 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel (people claiming to be God's people) is, that they might be saved. (many following the subscribed forms are NOT saved)
10:2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge. (what knowledge are they lacking? They know the law, scripture says they are "zealous for the law".)
10:3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God. (here is the key -- they are not submitting themselves to be led by God, but work according to their definition of righteousness and interpretations of the law)
10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth. (a right interpretation of the law will always lead one to Christ)
10:5 For Moses describes the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which does those things shall live by them. (but just one broken means we have broken all and stand in condemnation of the law, worthy only of death)

10:6 But the righteousness which is of faith speaks on this wise, Say not in you heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (the question is not who can become good enough by the law to ascend to heaven)

10:7 Or, Who shall descend into the deep? that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead. (Do we have the power to raise anyone from the dead? Was it our power that raised up Christ? No! Yet we are dead in our trespasses. There is no way we can raise ourselves. Yet the power that raised Christ from the dead can raise us from the death of sin!)

10:8 But what does it say? The word is nigh thee, even in your mouth, and in your heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;
10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in your heart that God has raised him from the dead, you shalt be saved.
............Eph. 2:5 For when we were dead in sins,
............He quickened
(resurrected us giving us spiritual life!)
.................... together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
.............. 2:6 And hath raised [us] up together,
.............. and made us sit together in heavenly
(citizens of heaven, clothed in Christ's righteousness, forgiven
.............. in Christ Jesus:

10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
10:11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
10:12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.
10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.....
How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel

What is the difference between the old covenant
(the one that is a perversion even of the Old Testament gospel, covenant of God)

---going about to establish their own righteousness, they have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God. They are trying to "resurrect themselves" unto spiritual life.

Reply Quote
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #185048
08/29/17 03:24 PM
08/29/17 03:24 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Old Covenant - based on the promises of the people to keep the law. Psalms 19:8 The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.

New Covenant - bases on better promises - the promises of God. Eze_36:25-28 Then will I sprinkle clean water on you, and you shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. (26) A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. (27) And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and you shall keep my judgments, and do them. (28) And you shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers; and you shall be my people, and I will be your God.

Both envision obedience to the law. The means to achieve it are different. One leads to death. The other leads to Life. Just keeping the law because you are required to do so, really means you do not obey.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Reply Quote
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!