HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,795 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #184792
08/05/17 02:55 AM
08/05/17 02:55 AM
dedication  Offline OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
The Priority of God's Promises.

Scripture has many wonderful promises -- do we read them, claim them, and praise God for them?

What are some of your favorite scriptural promises?

Here are some wonderful promises:

Isaiah 26:3

“Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.”

Matthew 11:28-29

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

Romans 8:18

“For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.”

John 1:12, 13

“But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.”

Jeremiah 29:11

For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.

Jude 1:24

Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present [you] faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,

Hebrews 13:5

He has promised, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #184912
08/13/17 01:19 AM
08/13/17 01:19 AM
dedication  Offline OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: APL
Galatians 3:21 - is the law against the promises of God? NO WAY! For is a law had been given that could make alive, righteousness would certainly be from the law.

Galatians 3:22 - But the scripture has locked up everything together under sin, in order that the promises by the faith of Jesus Christ, might be given to those that believe.

Galatians 3:23 - Now before this faith came (the faith of Jesus Christ), we were continually held captive under law, being locked up together, until the approaching faith would be reveal,

Galatians 3:24 - for this reason, the law was our "boy-leader" having led us to Christ, in order that we might be justified from faith.

Galatians 3:25 - now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.

Contrast Law with the Promises:

Law: I'll do it, locked up, held captive, guardian

Promises - God will do it, He has done it, it is the Faith of Jesus, this faith is the Faith of Jesus, we are justified by the Faith of Jesus.

Philippians 2:13 For it is God which works in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

Yes, those texts were today's lesson scripture.
Though not quite sure what translation APL used, it reads somewhat differently from my Bible versions.

What do those texts mean?

Reply Quote
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #184913
08/13/17 01:44 AM
08/13/17 01:44 AM
dedication  Offline OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Galatians 3:21
Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid.

Right here Paul is saying the law is NOT in opposition to God's promises. A lot of people seem to think the two are in opposition -- but that is not the case.
In fact, were it not for the law, people wouldn't feel a need for the gospel.

Romans 3:31 " 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

Paul does not do away with the binding nature of God's moral law! The law defines sin. And it continues to do so.

Romans 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
Romans 7:7 What shall we say then? is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

So, Paul is NOT pushing God's moral law aside. But he is addressing a problem. What is that problem?

Galatians 3:21-22 for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law. But the scripture hath concluded all under sin

The problem was thinking they could cover their sinfulness by law keeping. All are under sin -- all have sinned. All are under the condemnation of death. The law cannot give us life because the law cannot forgive those who transgress, it can only condemn the transgressor.

We can go back to Eden to help us understand.
There we see Adam and Eve in perfect harmony with the Creator. They were clothed in the in beautiful garments of righteousness -- light.
But then, they transgressed God's command. What happened to that beautiful garment of righteousness? It disappeared!
Sensing their nakedness they quickly picked some nice large fig leaves and stitched them together to make for themselves garments. Yet when Christ came to the garden to be with them they ran and hid. Why? Adam says, " I was afraid, because I was naked;" Yet, they had those nice green garments of leaves didn't they? Yet, they still sensed their nakedness.
Originally Posted By: EGW

This is what the transgressors of God's law have done ever since the day of Adam and Eve's disobedience. They have sewed together fig leaves to cover the nakedness caused by transgression. They have worn the garments of their own devising, by works of their own they have tried to cover their sins, and make themselves acceptable with God. {COL 311.1}
But this they can never do. Nothing can man devise to supply the place of his lost robe of innocence. No fig-leaf garment, no worldly citizen dress, can be worn by those who sit down with Christ and angels at the marriage supper of the Lamb. {COL 311.2}
Only the covering which Christ Himself has provided can make us meet to appear in God's presence. This covering, the robe of His own righteousness, Christ will put upon every repenting, believing soul. "I counsel thee," He says, "to buy of Me . . . white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear." Revelation 3:18. {COL 311.3}

The fig leaves represent our attempts to justify our disobedience.
How do we attempt to justify self? With excuses? Trying to bargain with God -- thinking some good deeds offset our disobedience?
But those fig leaves will never cover or remove our sins. We are still in the shame of our sinful nakedness. Only Christ can cloth us in the beautiful garments of righteousness.

Reply Quote
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #184914
08/13/17 02:52 AM
08/13/17 02:52 AM
dedication  Offline OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
3:22 But the scripture has concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

What is the promise?

Gal 3:29 And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s offspring, heirs according to promise.

Romans 4:13 For the promise to Abraham and to his descendants that he would inherit the world was not fulfilled through the law, but through the righteousness that comes by faith.

Acts 13:23 From the descendants of this man, God has brought to Israel the Savior Jesus, as He promised.

The promise --
The coming Savior, the Messiah Who would save from sin.
The righteousness that comes by faith.
The inheritance of this world in the future

One thing that about human nature -- we need to feel a need before we pursue a remedy.
People who think they are righteous and in need of nothing are the hardest people to reach with the gospel.
So yes, God thundered His law from Mount Sinai, to alert people to the extent of their sin and the awesome righteousness of God. Do we see the wide gap? Do we sense our need for a Savior.
It is those who come to Christ fully aware of their sinfulness and in repentance claim His blood of forgiveness, that love Him the most.
And these God, through His Holy Spirit can restore onto the paths of righteousness for His name's sake.

3:23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster [to bring us] unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

But before faith came,....
This does not mean that OT people had no faith, or that they were saved by works. Old Testament saints had faith in a coming Redeemer, Adam, Abel, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Isaiah, Daniel, etc. believed in the coming Savior, and were justified by faith in his righteousness, as we are.

It is much better to understand that Jesus Christ, as the foundation of that faith, came and it all became so much clearer and real! Christ, the object of faith, who was to come, and is come in the flesh, to fulfill the law; and by so doing bestows upon the repentant, believing person His pardoning grace and His merits of righteousness.

Before Christ came the Jews, and Paul was one, were "kept by the law" they were kept distinct and separate from the rest of the nations of the world and so were preserved in some measure both from their pagan and idolatrous ways. It was through them the Messiah was to come. They were a people expecting His coming!
They were kept under law as persons under a guard, keeping them close to the discharge of their duty as God's representatives on earth.

The purpose was always to point them to Christ.
To welcome Him when He came in the flesh.
To accept Him as their Redeemer and Savior from sin.

3:25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
3:26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

Do we need someone to drive us to Christ?
The law still does that.
But once we accept Him, we shouldn't need the law to drive us, we should rejoice in His Salvation.

The law is revelation of God's character, a small view of His righteousness! As Sons and daughters, children of God, forgiven and cleansed we want to glorify God by exhibiting His character to the world! That means exhibiting the principles of His Holy law!

This we can only do if we abide in Him, and He with us.

It's not just a passive relationship. It is an active faith, laying hold on the arm of omnipotent power, " let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which does so easily ensnare us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:2-3

Reply Quote
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #184938
08/18/17 03:05 PM
08/18/17 03:05 PM
dedication  Offline OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
What is it about baptism that makes it such a significant event? Gal. 3:27-28; Rom. 6:1-11

Gal. 27 For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Romans 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? 2 Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it?
3 Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? 4 Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

5 For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection, 6 knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin.
7 For he who has died has been freed from sin.
8 Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, 9 knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more. Death no longer has dominion over Him.
10 For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God.

11 Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Reply Quote
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #184940
08/19/17 04:10 AM
08/19/17 04:10 AM
dedication  Offline OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
The lesson asked the question--
but there's more than the answer they give.

What is about baptism that makes it such a significant event --
if it is entered into in the Biblical sense?

Let's take a look at Romans six -- the texts referred to in the lesson.
The question raised there is: "Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase?

Paul answers the question: "We died to sin, how can we live in it any longer?" "We were baptized into Christ's death"
"we are buried with him by baptism into death"
"planted together in the likeness of his death,"
"our old man is crucified with him, "
"we be dead with Christ"

Because we died to sin, we are not to let sin reign in our mortal bodies.

Paul is pretty emphatic about this -- repeating it in many different words.

We like to focus on the "new life" in Christ, but what do all these sentences about "dying" mean?

Without the "dying" there really is not "new life in Christ"?

Quote:
The new birth is a rare experience in this age of the world. This is the reason why there are so many perplexities in the churches. Many, so many, who assume the name of Christ are unsanctified and unholy. They have been baptized, but they were buried alive. Self did not die, and therefore they did not rise to newness of life in Christ (MS 148, 1897). {6BC 1075.7}

How do we become dead to sin?

It is essential, if we would be "alive unto God" (Rom. 6:11), that we must be freed not only from the guilt of past sins, but also from the bondage of sin that we may "serve Him without fear, in holiness and righteousness before Him, all the days of our life" (Luke 1:74-75). This can be accomplished only as we definitely, willingly, and practically reckon ourselves dead to sin, with Christ upon the cross.

This dying to sin, I believe is something we find at the foot of the cross. When we see Him dying because of our actual sins, how can we live any longer in them? We die with Christ to those sins. And then we can rise with Him, reckoning ourselves died to the old carnal ways and alive in Christ.

Reply Quote
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #184947
08/19/17 07:31 PM
08/19/17 07:31 PM
dedication  Offline OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
From slaves to heirs.

Question -- in what way are humans slaves?

John 8:34 Whosoever commits sin is the slave of sin.
Romans 6:17 you were the slaves of sin

Quote:
Every soul that refuses to give himself to God is under the control of another power. He is not his own. He may talk of freedom, but he is in the most abject slavery. He is not allowed to see the beauty of truth, for his mind is under the control of Satan. While he flatters himself that he is following the dictates of his own judgment, he obeys the will of the prince of darkness. Christ came to break the shackles of sin-slavery from the soul. "If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed." "The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus" sets us "free from the law of sin and death." Romans 8:2. {DA 466.3}

Who seeks to redeem us from slavery and adopt us as His children?
Quote:
Come out from among them, and be separate, saith the Lord, and I will receive you, and ye shall be sons and daughters of the Lord Almighty. What a promise is this! It is a pledge to you that you shall become members of the royal family, heirs of the heavenly kingdom. If a person is honored by, or becomes connected with, any of the monarchs of earth, how it goes the rounds of the periodicals of the day and excites the envy of those who think themselves less fortunate. But here is One who is King over all, the monarch of the universe, the Originator of every good thing; and He says to us: I will make you My sons and daughters; I will unite you to Myself; you shall become members of the royal family and children of the heavenly King. {2T 592.1}

Reply Quote
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #184957
08/21/17 06:06 AM
08/21/17 06:06 AM
dedication  Offline OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
This weeks verse from Galatians:

Galatians 4:12 Brethren, I urge you to become like me, for I became like you. You have not injured me at all. 13 You know that because of physical infirmity I preached the gospel to you at the first. 14 And my trial which was in my flesh you did not despise or reject, but you received me as an angel of God, even as Christ Jesus.
15 What then was the blessing you enjoyed? For I bear you witness that, if possible, you would have plucked out your own eyes and given them to me. 16 Have I therefore become your enemy because I tell you the truth?

17 They zealously court you, but for no good; yes, they want to exclude you, that you may be zealous for them.
18 But it is good to be zealous in a good thing always, and not only when I am present with you.
19 My little children, for whom I labor in birth again until Christ is formed in you, 20 I would like to be present with you now and to change my tone; for I have doubts about you.

What is the thrust of Paul’s message in these verses?

What goal did Paul have in mind for the Galatians?
What result did he want to see from all his “labor” in their behalf?

Why would he urge them to become like him?
What did he mean?

Reply Quote
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #184963
08/21/17 09:35 PM
08/21/17 09:35 PM
dedication  Offline OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
(verses 8-11) Paul points out there's a decision to make: A choice between living under the elements of the world or as a child of God.

The weak and beggarly elements are the bases of all false religions-- they represent " self-expiation which lies at the foundation of all systems of false religion". {1MCP 276.2}

"Deprived as they are of the light shining from the word of God, their religion consists of a round of ceremonies" which they think will win them the favor of the gods.

By writing turn again to beggarly elements, Paul shows that the Galatians (who were Gentiles) were not turning to a new error when the Judaizers tried to enforce their rituals upon them, but that they were actually going back to an old error; the idea of a "self-expiation" works relationship with God.

Paul is now making his appeal, showing he's not there to condemn, but out of love begging them to come back to their believe of "salvation in Christ."

The apostle desires that they would be of one mind with him respecting the gospel which God had given him, as well as that they may be united with him in love.

He reminds the Galatians of the difficulty under which he laboured when he first came among them, and how thankful they were to hear the gospel and receive him as sent to them by God.

But now they are questioning as to whether he taught them correctly! The false teachers who drew the Galatians from the truth did so with an allusion that they cared about them, but they were not sincere and upright.

Paul wants them to be zealous for the truth and the cause of Christ, not zealous in pleasing these men to gain their favor.

Reply Quote
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #184964
08/21/17 09:46 PM
08/21/17 09:46 PM
dedication  Offline OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Brethren, I urge you to become like me, for I became like you. You have not injured me at all.

I urge you to become like me:
Strange words from Paul. In what way should the Galatian Christians become like Paul?

[Paul] kept before them the cross of Calvary. "We preach not ourselves," he declared in the later years of his experience, "but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake. For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ." 2 Corinthians 4:5, 6. AA 208

Those who heard him knew that he had been with Jesus.
Be like Paul -- spend much time with Jesus.

Reply Quote
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!