HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,593
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, dedication, TruthinTypes, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 21 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 20 21
Re: The Gospel According To John #41361
02/17/03 04:08 AM
02/17/03 04:08 AM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Let us move on to the next verse.

quote:

John 1:30 This is he of whom I said, After me cometh a man which is preferred before me: for He was before me.

What does "He was before me" mean?

Reply Quote
Re: The Gospel According To John #41362
02/16/03 05:57 PM
02/16/03 05:57 PM
Avalee  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
I looked up the words in Strongs and this is what is says for "before"

G4413
πρῶτος
prōtos
pro'-tos
Contracted superlative of G4253; foremost (in time, place, order or importance): - before, beginning, best, chief (-est), first (of all), former.

Since John the Baptist was older than Jesus of course John was before Jesus in human terms of birth. However, I think John here is acknowledging that Jesus, as God, has always been. So He had to be before him.

Reply Quote
Re: The Gospel According To John #41363
02/16/03 10:08 PM
02/16/03 10:08 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Yes, for in view of the fact that John the Baptist was about six months older than Jesus, reference here is clearly to Jesus' preincarnate existence, or preexistence.

This verse is actually a repeat of the last half of verse 15. That part of verse 15 was so important that it was repeated in verse 30.

What does this tell us about Jesus and His preexistence? In other words, what does preexistence mean in these two verses, verses 15 and 30?

Reply Quote
Re: The Gospel According To John #41364
02/18/03 04:46 AM
02/18/03 04:46 AM
Avalee  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
Daryl doesn't it just mean what it says...Jesus has been from the beginning? He has always pre-existed.

Reply Quote
Re: The Gospel According To John #41365
02/17/03 07:10 PM
02/17/03 07:10 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Pre-existed before John is evident from these verses, and maybe that is all we need to know at this stage of the study.

Reply Quote
Re: The Gospel According To John #41366
02/17/03 11:20 PM
02/17/03 11:20 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Daryl Fawcett:
Let us move on to the next verse.

quote:

John 1:30 This is he of whom I said, After me cometh a man which is preferred before me: for He was before me.

What does "He was before me" mean?
Hello Daryl

I see by your reply above that we are in agreement re the use of "sin," or "sins." I didn't have the BCs handy when I made the above post, but I did have in mind the things which you wrote. There is much wisdom in thse Bible Commentaries.

I know you are moving on to the next verse; but do you have a discussion here @ MSDAOL on "sins" and "sin?" It seems to me I saw one here once; but I can't find one now.

Now, moving to this next text, Jo.1:30, the context here is where John the Baptist was baptising people in the Jordan.

Was John the Baptist just talking about the last guy who set foot in the Jordan River, when he looked at Jesus and proclaimed: "Behold the Lamb of God which taketh away the sin of the world?" No. Of course not. Neither was he speaking about the person before him, when he expanded on his proclamation about Him who was "before" him.

And I agree with those who have written here how Jesus has always existed. But, as I was looking at some Spirit Of Prophecy comments, regarding John 1:19-30, I found something really interesting. One of the reasons, I think this "before him" comment is so important in the human realm of things, is that since Jesus was always in existence; no one has any excuses, to NOT wash the robes of their character, in the blood of the Lamb.

When I saw news articles in my local paper, with President Bush proclaiming in his last State Of The Union Address: “There is power – wonder working power, in the goodness, and idealism, and faith of the American people;” I could only think how easily this statement could be misleading.

Not that I am saying there is anything wrong with Americans, or with President Bush, simply that the “wonder-working power we need in this hour of earth’s history, cannot come from human hands.

Speaking of Jo.1:29-30, I think Ellen G White has coined very well, what I am trying to say. I have come to see that I personally, (and so do others I am sure), need to pay better attention to these verses we are studying – especially the context of these verses, and what baptism, (which is what John was doing), really means:

“This is our washing and ironing time – the time when we are to cleanse our robes of character in the blood of the Lamb. John says: “Behold the Lamb Of God, which taketh away the SIN of THE WORLD.” Shall we not let Him take them away? Shall we not let our sins go?”
(GCB, April 6th, 1903, pg.89).

Seems some of us need to do more “laundry” (washing & ironing), than others. [Big Grin]

Why do you think John also used the words “preferred before me,” when he spoke about Jesus here in verse 30? That Word “preferred” has got me wondering. I will be interested to see other’s thoughts on this.

======

Post edited only to remove a URL from this post. -Daryl [Smile]

[ February 17, 2003, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: Daryl Fawcett ]

Reply Quote
Re: The Gospel According To John #41367
02/18/03 12:17 AM
02/18/03 12:17 AM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I don't mind continued discussion on any verses previously discussed in this study. There is a topic on sin and sins in the Search For Truth forum.

I understand that preferred before me was referring to Christ's rank and dignity in relation to John, to which John acknowledged by sayingthis in this verse.

Reply Quote
Re: The Gospel According To John #41368
02/18/03 05:10 PM
02/18/03 05:10 PM
Avalee  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
I was doing a search in the Spirit of Prophecy web site on the words "preferred before me". Only 12 hits came up and the following was in it. I have not read this before, and found it quite interesting. What a beautiful description of the baptism of Christ.

quote:
March 1, 1874 The Life of Christ.--No. 12.
By Ellen G. White.

His Baptism.

After Jesus had been baptized of John in Jordan, he went straightway up out of the water to the bank of the river, and bowed in the attitude of prayer. A new and important era was opening before him, and he felt the solemnity and responsibilities of the new duties he was to perform, and heavier burdens which he was henceforth to bear. His baptism was the first act of his public ministry; and he here identifies himself with sinners as their representative, in taking upon him their sins, and numbering himself with transgressors. In his prayer, Christ, with his human arm, encircles fallen humanity, while with his divine arm he is reaching for the throne of the Infinite.

His hands were raised upward, and his eyes were fixed as if penetrating Heaven; and he poured out his soul in supplication to his Father for strength to meet the unbelief and sinfulness of men, to break the power of Satan over man, and to be able to overcome Satan in behalf of man. He presented humanity before his Father, asking that he would grant to fallen man the light and strength and power from his own throne to successfully overcome the prince of the power of darkness.

The soul of Christ was burdened with the sense of the sinfulness of men, and the hardness of their hearts, that kept them in unbelief and darkness, so but few would discern his glorious mission and accept the salvation he came from Heaven to bring them. Christ was about to enter upon a scene of fearful trial and temptation, which was to open his life of conflict and suffering. He was to perform new and arduous duties, and bear heavy burdens, such as had never fallen to the lot of men. His sinless humanity supplicates support and strength from his Father as he was about to commence his labors. He asks for the witness that God accepts fallen man, in his Son. He reaches for the throne of God to hang man upon his Father's mercy.

Never had angels listened to such a prayer. They were solicitous to bear to the praying Redeemer messages of assurance and love. But no; the Father himself will minister to his Son. Direct from the throne proceeded the light of the glory of God. The heavens were opened, and beams of light and glory proceeded therefrom and assumed the form of a dove, in appearance like burnished gold. The dove-like form was emblematical of the meekness and gentleness of Christ.

The people stood spell-bound with fear and amazement. Their eyes were fastened upon Christ, whose bowed form was bathed in the beautiful light and glory that ever surround the throne of God. His upturned face was glorified as they had never before seen the face of man. The thunders rolled and the lightnings flashed from the opening heavens, and a voice came therefrom in terrible majesty, saying, "This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased." The words of confirmation were given for the benefit of the witnesses at his baptism, and to assure God's dear Son that his Father accepted humanity through him, their substitute and surety, and that God would connect man to himself, and open Heaven to the prayers of men through the intercession of his Son.

Notwithstanding the sins of a guilty world were laid upon his Son, and he had humiliated himself to humanity to save the ruined race, Jehovah's voice assured Christ of his Sonship with the Eternal. In this manifestation, God put his seal to the plan of redemption through his Son, and evidenced that he accepted humanity as exalted through the righteous character and divine excellence of his beloved Son. A way was opened for sinners that, through obedience to God's law and faith in Christ as their Redeemer, they might form righteous characters and become children of God.

As John witnessed the Saviour of the world bowed in the deepest humiliation, and pleading fervently with tears for the approval of his Father, he was deeply moved. As the light and glory from Heaven enshrouded the Saviour, and a voice was heard claiming Jesus as the Son of the Infinite, John saw the token God had promised him, and knew for a certainly that the world's Redeemer had received baptism at his hands. With transport of joy and tearful emotion he stretched forth his hand, and pointed to Jesus, saying, "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world! This is he of whom I said, After me cometh a man which is preferred before me; for he was before me." "And I knew him not; but He that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost." And I saw the Spirit descending upon him like a dove and overshadowing him; and I heard the voice of God bear record that this is the Son of God.
-
{YI, March 1, 1874 par. 7}

Reply Quote
Re: The Gospel According To John #41369
02/19/03 11:29 PM
02/19/03 11:29 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Fantastic quote, Avalee! [Smile]

Now on to verse 31.

quote:

John 1:31 And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water.

What does it mean by I knew him not in this verse?

Reply Quote
Re: The Gospel According To John #41370
02/22/03 12:53 AM
02/22/03 12:53 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

1RED.043.001
"The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world! This is he of whom I said, After me cometh a man which is preferred before me; for he was before me. And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water. And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from Heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him. And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost. And I saw and bare record, that this is the Son of God. Again the next day after, John stood, and two of his disciples; and looking upon Jesus as he walked, he saith, Behold the Lamb of God!"

While John knew that his mission was connected with Christ's mission; it seems like he was simply saying that although he had never personally met Jesus previously; God did tell John HOW he was to recognize Jesus, once he did meet up with Him.

Reply Quote
Page 10 of 21 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 20 21
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 10:58 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!