HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,594
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 13
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, 2 invisible), 2,798 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #184536
07/15/17 04:16 AM
07/15/17 04:16 AM
dedication  Online Content OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Galatians

2.5 We did not yield them submission, no, not for a minute; that the truth of the gospel might continue with you.
2:6 And the leaders of the church had nothing to add to what I was preaching. (By the way, their reputation as great leaders made no difference to me, for God has no favorites.)
2.7 But on the contrary, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;
2.8 (For he who worked effectually through Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:)
2.9 And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.
2.10 Only they would that we should remember the poor; the same which I also was forward to do.

Suppose the council had confirmed the teachings of these false brethren, and had decreed that circumcision was necessary for justification; what would have been the result? They would have turned people away from looking to Christ for their justification and forgiveness of sin; if people can be justified by simply cutting off a piece of skin, they have no need of Him.

Paul makes the remarkable statement that when Christ teaches His witnesses, there is a natural agreement amongst them. He had not been instructed by the apostles in Jerusalem, his gospel came straight from God, yet they had the same gospel as he, in contrast to the “false gospel”.

The gospel is not defined by the "importance of men", but all true gospel believers preach the same gospel! Notice, however, Paul’s constant focus here, that God does NOT evaluate people according to their heritage, nationality or position. “GOD IS NOT PARTIAL” to these things.

The gospel was to go both to the “Jews” (circumcised) and the "Gentiles" (uncircumcised) Both needed to hear the gospel! Peter was being led by God to work effectively for the Jewish people, and Paul had his mission to the Gentiles.

At the Jerusalem Council Peter made a strong speech in support of Paul's gospel (see Acts 15:6-11) James, citing scripture, confirmed Peter's speech and the council sent representatives, Silas and Judas, to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas to establish the decision. (Acts 15:25-27) Paul and Baranabas were sent on their mission with the blessings of the other apostles

Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #184537
07/15/17 04:45 AM
07/15/17 04:45 AM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Quote:
Paul makes the remarkable statement that when Christ teaches His witnesses, there is a natural agreement amongst them. He had not been instructed by the apostles in Jerusalem, his gospel came straight from God, yet they had the same gospel as he, in contrast to the “false gospel”.

I agree that IF Christ is doing the teaching then there will be agreement, there will be a oneness of soul and spirit between those who accept His teaching. But the IF is decided by the surrender of self. Self gets in the way of Christ's teachings, and even of our listening to them or accepting them. It is the choices we make that decide if we are really going to be taught by Christ or by someone other than He.

If we surrender self we come into agreement with Christ and with other's who surrender to Him also. This is the promise of Jesus.

Quote:
John 17:20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

Reply Quote
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: ] #184538
07/15/17 05:01 AM
07/15/17 05:01 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Gary K

I think sometimes we overlook how difficult it must have been for a Jew to accept a Gentile as an equal inside the church, let alone that the Gentile didn't need to be circumcised. To me, the fact that there were Jews who did accept the Gentiles as equals points to the amount of power that was exercised by the Holy Spirit during that time, because only through the transforming power of the Spirit could such change take place.

This level of power is also implied by Paul's statements in ICorinthians 1:10:
Quote:
10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

This also implies a level of self-surrender and commitment that is very, very rare to day in the Christian world. We are far too self-driven and self-motivated these days.

I was thinking along the same line and glad you pointed it out in greater detail.
It was a radical change for the believing Jews, even for the apostles. After three and a half years with Christ, they were still disputing amongst themselves who would be the greatest in the kingdom they hoped Christ would set up, which would subjugate the surrounding nations.

The change in them of "before the cross" and "after" is huge! And yes, it took the mighty powerful working of the Holy Spirit within them. and a humbling of self and a much deeper dependence upon God that made the change..

Reply Quote
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #184543
07/15/17 02:31 PM
07/15/17 02:31 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Galatians
2.7 But on the contrary, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;

Unity in the truth of the gospel, but diversity in spiritual gifts.

Too often when we see talk of "diversity in the church" people think it means diversity in truth, yet here in Galatians we see that unity in the truth of the gospel was strongly sought, no matter if it "pleased men" or not, for they "did not yield them (those teaching a false gospel) submission, no, not for a minute; that the truth of the gospel might continue".

Diversity is in the gifts of the Spirit, not in the truth of the gospel.

Paul to the Gentiles --
Peter to the Jews --
Both united in the same gospel but having different spiritual gift.

What made Paul more effective as an apostle to the Gentiles?
Yes, he was specially taught by God for his work, that is the prime ingredient for spiritual effectiveness.
Yet we can also consider the backgrounds of these men.

All the original disciples were raised in the Jewish culture, where the resentment to the Roman presence was very strong, and the attitude to keep oneself totally separate from these heathen Gentiles where ever possible, was considered the right way to live.

Paul, on the other hand, though educated as a Pharisee under the tutelage of a very prominent teacher in Judea, never the less grew up in Tarsus (which is in present day Turkey) born of Jewish parents, he was also born a Roman citizen. Thus he understood the Gentile culture in a way that the other apostles did not understand. It would have been easier for him to relate to their way of understanding things.

Missionaries who meet their audience at their present understanding and lead them into truth have far greater success, than those who do not understand the initial mind set of their audience.

In this sense Paul had a spiritual gift -- which the Holy Spirit developed -- which helped to make him a powerful witness to the Gentiles. Peter, on the other hand had a little more of a struggle to entirely let go of his earlier attitude even though he was convinced by the Holy Spirit in the truth that the gospel was for Gentiles as well as for Jews.

Peter's little experience in Antioch shows he still had a struggle, when he sought to "please men" by separating himself from the Gentiles, yet he took the stern reprove from Paul with meekness. The unity in truth was maintained.

Reply Quote
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #184547
07/15/17 09:54 PM
07/15/17 09:54 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
I would like to ask a question here.

Quote:
Ephesians 2:12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

What, in verse 15, is Paul referring to as "the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances" that Christ broke down to make of two one new man? To what law is Paul referring?

Reply Quote
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #184563
07/16/17 02:09 AM
07/16/17 02:09 AM
J
Josh M  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018
Colorado, USA
@Gary K

I did a search and came across this post in an old thread: link

It seems good, and especially the quote from A.T. Jones.

Reply Quote
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: ] #184564
07/16/17 03:04 AM
07/16/17 03:04 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Let's see if the context gives the answer:

2:11 Wherefore remember, that you [Gentiles] in the past, born as Gentiles, who are called Uncircumcision by those who are called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;
2:12 That at that time you were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:

Before Christ came, salvation was in the keeping of the Israelites who had entered into a covenant with God, the Gentiles were outsiders in a very sad spiritual condition.

The text notes circumcision as a distinguishing mark as to who belongs to the commonwealth of Israel and who is an outsider.

2:13 But now in Christ Jesus you who were once far off are brought near by the blood of Christ.
2:14 For he is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of partition [between us];

The blood of Christ, His sacrifice, puts them all on the same plane. They are made "one" --
"For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. . . . There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. Galatians 3:26-28."

He broke down the middle wall of partition between them.
The "middle wall" must be part of the "law in the ordinances" that separated them.

The word "broken down" is more correctly translated as "loosed"
The word "wall" is more correctly translated as "hedge".
putting the two together one should immediately notice that the text should read "loosed the hedge".

What hedges had the Jews established around themselves to protect themselves from the heathen?
One such precept did not allow Jews to enter the home of a Gentile (see Acts 10:28}

We know the whole temple ceremonies offered only very restrictive admittance to Gentiles.
Yet, the ceremonial laws set forth forgiveness and cleansing all in the context of the temple rituals. Without these there was no admittance into the commonwealth of Israel.

The actual ritual mentioned in these verses is the rite of circumcision -- in the Jewish laws, every male must be circumcised in order to be part of the commonwealth of Israel.

2:15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

So Christ abolished commands contained in ordinances that separated the Jews from the Gentiles.
The context seems to point to

1. Circumcision
Romans 3;30 God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith.

2. The temple ceremonies for forgiveness and cleansing through sacrifices etc.

Heb7:12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law
7:24 But this [man, Jesus], because he continues ever, has an unchangeable priesthood.
7:25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever lives to make intercession for them.

2:16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:
2:17 And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.
2:18 For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.

Reply Quote
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #184565
07/16/17 03:11 AM
07/16/17 03:11 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
The posts linked, talk a lot about the enmity, trying to link the enmity to ceremonial laws.
Why was the ceremonial law "enmity"? It wasn't.

The enmity was the ill feelings between Jews and Gentiles.
The enmity was the Jews thinking any uncircumsized Gentile was "a dog". And the Gentiles in turn thinking the Jews were a bigoted people, etc.

Reply Quote
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #184567
07/16/17 04:17 AM
07/16/17 04:17 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: dedication
The posts linked, talk a lot about the enmity, trying to link the enmity to ceremonial laws.

The enmity was the Jews thinking any uncircumsized Gentile was "a dog". And the Gentiles in turn thinking the Jews were a bigoted people, etc.

I will respectfully disagree here. The "enmity" was the natural opposition, even hatred, toward the law of God. But when a man has a renewed heart, this enmity is abolished.

Mrs. White addresses these concepts.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
Many of this class whose hearts are carnal, take the position that the law of God is abolished. "Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be." They have not been transformed by the renewing of their minds. They are lawless. The profess to be holy, while they are servants of sin. Many of those who teach that the law of God is abolished are lascivious men, fornicators, and adulterers. They are forward to rate against the law of God, and curse the bondage of the law. Their bitter speeches illy compare with the words of Paul: "What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law; for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet." "Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good." {RH, March 8, 1870 par. 4}

Paul in his epistle to Timothy describes the very men who are under the bondage of the law. They are the transgressors of the law. He names them lawless, disobedient, sinners, unholy, profane, murderers, adulterers, liars, and all who depart from sound doctrine. 1 Timothy 1:9, 10. {RH, March 8, 1870 par. 5}

As respects the "Jew" and "Gentile" (assuming converted versus unconverted ones here), God has said He would put enmity between them.

When the Lord Jesus visited our earth, he brought with him renovating energy. He put enmity between the seed of the woman and the serpent. But there is no enmity between fallen angels and fallen men. Both, through apostasy, are evil; and wherever there is evil, with no disposition to repent, it will always league with Satan against God. Fallen men and fallen angels unite in a desperate struggle to destroy God's great standard of righteousness. There was a bond of sympathy among the angels that Satan succeeded in drawing into rebellion, and he made them his allies in the effort to dethrone God and to abolish his law. Satan's work in our world today is to destroy the moral image of God in man, by making void the divine law; and our enemies are inspired by his spirit. By casting aside God's great standard of character, he can deprave human nature, and win men and women to his standard; for, "Where no law is, there is no transgression." With what triumph, then, he watches the professedly Christian world, as they earnestly do the very work he is doing. {RH, January 26, 1897 par. 8}

The "seed" of each class deals with the followers--those who are of the same "feather" and "flock together." God will separate His people from the ungodly.

But here is perhaps the best and clearest statement regarding the meaning of the "enmity" in her writings.

Only those who are sanctified through the truth will be accepted as heirs of eternal life. The sanctification that God intends his children should have, is not of that character which leads men to boast of their holiness and reject the law of God, which is "holy, and just, and good." Bible sanctification is implicit obedience to the requirements of God. Christ did not die to save anyone in the pollution of sin. He came to "save his people from their sins," that "the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled" in his followers. The death of the Son of God on the cross demonstrates the immutable character of the precepts of Jehovah. Then how grieved should we be for every transgression and disobedience. The precious Saviour was bruised for our iniquity. There is enmity against the commandments of God in the hearts of those who claim sanctification and refuse to acknowledge the binding obligation of the law. Hatred arises in their hearts as soon as the law is mentioned. They profess to believe that the law is abolished. But if the law is abolished, what is the standard by which we shall be judged before the judgment-seat of Christ? This work of belittling the law is the work of the great deceiver. If Satan can persuade men that the God of the universe has no law by which he governs them, then he can set up a standard of his own, and turn men into the path of transgression and destruction. {ST, February 10, 1888 par. 5}

It is this enmity against God's law that Jesus came to destroy. By His death, He uplifts and glorifies the law, putting it in a new light--for it was the law that demanded the death of the sinner, but God, fulfilling the law in our place, opened the path to life.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Reply Quote
Re: Third Quarter 2017 The Gospel in Galatians [Re: dedication] #184568
07/16/17 04:18 AM
07/16/17 04:18 AM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Originally Posted By: dedication

But Paul specifically says that the enmity was "even the law of commandments contained in ordinances". That is very specific. Paul is referring to a law. There can be no doubt about it.

I agree that the law was not the ceremonial law. But what law was it? I have an answer that fits, but just want to see if you come to the same conclusion.

Reply Quote
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!