HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 15
Rick H 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,970 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 1
Page 45 of 46 1 2 43 44 45 46
Re: Rejection of the Testimonies Foretold, Part 1 [Re: Charity] #184892
08/10/17 07:24 PM
08/10/17 07:24 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
You have not given your definition of faith. Is it blind trust? Is the evidence given us not reasonable? Romans 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

"being understood by the things that are made". What things?

"Yet God has never removed the possibility of doubt." Why do you think that is?

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Rejection of the Testimonies Foretold, Part 1 [Re: APL] #184894
08/11/17 12:07 AM
08/11/17 12:07 AM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Originally Posted By: APL
You have not given your definition of faith. Is it blind trust? Is the evidence given us not reasonable? Romans 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

"being understood by the things that are made". What things?

"Yet God has never removed the possibility of doubt." Why do you think that is?

I will answer your questions here as soon as you go back and answer mine. So far all you have done is ignore them and just keep on asking further questions. So far I've answered yours. Have enough courtesy and respect to do the same for me.

Now, until you answer mine I will answer no more of yours.

Re: Rejection of the Testimonies Foretold, Part 1 [Re: Charity] #184895
08/11/17 02:18 AM
08/11/17 02:18 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: gary
I will answer your questions here as soon as you go back and answer mine. So far all you have done is ignore them and just keep on asking further questions. So far I've answered yours. Have enough courtesy and respect to do the same for me.

Originally Posted By: gary asked
And how do you know John 17:3 is true? Faith in God's word is how. If you don't believe, i.e. trust, have faith in, God's word, will you believe the evidence of John 17:3?
To which I asked for your definition of faith. You ask how I can believe without faith, and I asked for your definition of faith which you won't give me until I answer your question about faith, which I wanted your definition. So I guess you are at an impasse.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Rejection of the Testimonies Foretold, Part 1 [Re: APL] #184896
08/11/17 02:37 AM
08/11/17 02:37 AM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Originally Posted By: gary

Originally Posted By: gary asked
And how do you know John 17:3 is true? Faith in God's word is how. If you don't believe, i.e. trust, have faith in, God's word, will you believe the evidence of John 17:3?
To which I asked for your definition of faith. You ask how I can believe without faith, and I asked for your definition of faith which you won't give me until I answer your question about faith, which I wanted your definition. So I guess you are at an impasse.

Stop with distractions. You have ignored every question I have asked you in this thread. You haven't answered a single one. Go back and answer them.

I can give you the same taunt. The reason you haven't answered my questions is because you can't. And there are a lot of questions you haven't answered so you long ago passed the point of being able to answer my questions.

Stop with the baloney and answer honestly and respectfully. I'm tired of your games. I gave you another chance to deal honestly and this is your response....

If this was a formal debate you would have been judged the loser a long time ago by your repeated failures to respond to the points I have made.

Re: Rejection of the Testimonies Foretold, Part 1 [Re: Charity] #184897
08/11/17 03:40 AM
08/11/17 03:40 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
You are not required to continue. It is up to you. But thanks for all the "chances". That's very gracious of you.

Re: Rejection of the Testimonies Foretold, Part 1 [Re: APL] #184898
08/11/17 07:27 AM
08/11/17 07:27 AM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
You are not required to continue. It is up to you. But thanks for all the "chances". That's very gracious of you.

You may think you're pretty smart, but you're not. You're no brighter than all the Biblical examples who thought they were the ones who were to define truth rather than God and His word. You're of the group who believe the Bible says it but it doesn't mean it. When you can say the Angel of the Lord is the devil, well, you've wandered a long ways away from the Bible, and from honesty.

People who think like you are the reason this site now has so few active members. When it's impossible to have an honest discussion the honest people leave, and that is what has happened here, and other SDA forums too. The forums have become nothing but Babel. They are utter confusion and promote error and hatred of the church.

The ones I really hold responsible for this are the site owners. They set the tone and say what will be allowed. What has happened to Daryl I don't know, but this site was at one time a place where SDA's could come and discuss SDA beliefs in a friendly atmosphere. But, Daryl made the decision at some point that he was going to allow anything and everything, and it has killed his site. It is not even a faint shadow of what it used to be. But, it's indicative of what has happened to all the SDA forums. They have become the breeding ground of all kinds of satanic error to which site management turns a blind eye. I wonder what God will say on judgment day to all of this.... I wonder if He will commend for being a watchman on the walls of Zion.

So, congratulations apl, you have accomplished your goal. I'm leaving as I no longer find this place enjoyable to participate in.

I came back here after many years because there used to be a lot of conservative SDAs here who actually believed in the SOP and the Bible. Now, the vast majority of the few people left here only profess to accept the SOP and the Bible. They only agree with the Bible and SOP when the Bible and SOP agree with the poster's view points, and then they ignore anything that doesn't agree with them. Well, that is what Ellen White said would happen. It is just another fulfillment of prophecy. It is the shaking time, and those who will not surrender their points of view to the authority of God will find their way out the church. Just like Ellen White said, those who will reject the SOP will end up rejecting the Bible too. It's sad to see, but we were told it would happen, and happen it has.

Re: Rejection of the Testimonies Foretold, Part 1 [Re: APL] #184899
08/11/17 07:31 AM
08/11/17 07:31 AM
T
The Wanderer  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2022

Central Alberta
What are you saying? Clearly the EVIDENCE given us appeals to the REASON. John 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. How do we know God? Just have faith? What is faith? Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. The word of God is evidence.

Faith itself is a gift of God. I really do not see what your objection is, unless you think faith is some kind of blind trust.
"faith" on its own, is not once in scripture called "the gift of." Further; rejection of this statement would be a clear "rejection of the testimonies."

"Faith" cannot ever be on it's own, as in some ingredient we add to the recipe. The "faith" and the "evidence" of that "faith" are collectively, the whole experience of/with God; as in truly knowing God, and He "who God has sent.". John 17:3)

"Knowing" God does not have to involve "reason" at all, although, of course, sometimes it does. To "know" may not require reasoning, as in when we witness something, and then, we "know" because we have "seen"

"FAITH" is THE evidence of things NOT SEEN. John 17:3 does not really present as much in the way of "evidence," as it does in simple declaration.

Some other things would have to happen to constitute "evidence" of the plain declaration that "it is eternal life to know Jesus." (eternal life starts here, so in many cases, this would be the "unseen" things that faith is, NOT gives faith THAT very "evidence that it declares)

When said "other things" happen, then we are able to present the "evidence" alluded to in Heb 11:1
Quote:
"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."
(the following is in small parts taken from Adam Clarke Bible Commentary, and adapted/edited by me)

Faith is the substance of things hoped for

- Εστι δε πιστις ελπιζομενων ὑποστασις·

Faith is the Subsistence of things hoped for;

πραγματων ελεγχος ου βλεπομενων·

The Demonstration of things not seen.

The word ὑποστασις, which we translate substance, signifies subsistence, that which becomes a foundation for another thing to stand on.

And ελεγχος signifies such a conviction as is produced in the mind by the demonstration of a problem, after which demonstration no doubt can remain, because we see from it that the thing is; that it cannot but be; and that it cannot be otherwise than as it is, and is proved to be.

Such is the faith by which the soul is justified; or rather, such are the effects of justifying faith: on it subsists the peace of God which passeth all understanding; and the love of God is shed abroad in the heart where it lives, by the Holy Ghost.

At the same time the Spirit of God witnesses with their spirits who have this faith that their sins are blotted out; and this is as fully manifest to their judgment and conscience as the axioms,

“A whole is greater than any of its parts;” “Equal lines and angles, being placed on one another, do not exceed each other;” or as the deduction from prop. 47, book i., Euclid:

“The square of the base of a right-angled triangle is equal to the difference of the squares of the other two sides.”
Ελεγχος is defined by logicians, Demonstratio quae fit argumentis certis et rationibus indubitatis, qua rei certitudo efficitur.

“A demonstration of the certainly of a thing by sure arguments and indubitable reasons.” Aristotle uses it for a mathematical demonstration, and properly defines it thus: Ελεγχος δε εστις ὁ μη δυνατος αλλως εχειν, αλλ’ οὑτως ὡς ἡμεις λεγομεν, “Elenchos, or Demonstration, is that which cannot be otherwise, but is so as we assert.” Rhetor. ad Alexand., cap. 14, περι ελεγχου. On this account

Things hoped for -

Are the peace and approbation of God, and those blessings by which the soul is prepared for the kingdom of heaven. A penitent hopes for the pardon of his sins and the favor of his God; faith in Christ puts him in possession of this pardon, and thus the thing that was hoped for is enjoyed by faith.

When this is received, a man has the fullest conviction of the truth and reality of all these blessings though unseen by the eye, they are felt by the heart; and the man has no more doubt of God’s approbation and his own free pardon, than he has of his being.

In an extended sense the things hoped for are the resurrection of the body, the new heavens and the new earth, the introduction of believers into the heavenly country, and the possession of eternal glory.

The things unseen, as distinguished from the things hoped for, are, in an extended sense, the creation of the world from nothing, the destruction of the world by the deluge, the miraculous conception of Christ, his resurrection from the dead, his ascension to glory, his mediation at the right hand of God, his government of the universe, etc., etc., all which we as firmly believe on the testimony of God’s word as if we had seen them. See Macknight.

But this faith has particular respect to the being, goodness, providence, grace, and mercy of God, as the subsequent verses sufficiently show.

"The worst foes of my spiritual life have never been hostile circumstance."

"There is always a little bit of light" (Micah 7:8)
https://www.lightintheclouds.net/word

Sincerely, IN Christ; and THROUGH The Spirit

- The Wanderer
Re: Rejection of the Testimonies Foretold, Part 1 [Re: Charity] #184900
08/11/17 01:47 PM
08/11/17 01:47 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: wanderer
"faith" on its own, is not once in scripture called "the gift of." Further; rejection of this statement would be a clear "rejection of the testimonies."
Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are you saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Is Grace the gift, or is Faith the gift, or both?

Faith that enables us to receive God's gifts is itself a gift, of which some measure is imparted to every human being. It grows as exercised in appropriating the word of God. In order to strengthen faith, we must often bring it in contact with the word. {Ed 253.4}

Yes, Faith is a gift.

"Knowing" God does not have to involve "reason" at all, although, of course, sometimes it does.
Not at all, except when it does? Huh.

But God has given in the Scriptures sufficient evidence of their divine authority. His own existence, His character, the truthfulness of His word, are established by testimony that appeals to our reason; and this testimony is abundant. True, He has not removed the possibility of doubt; faith must rest upon evidence {Ed 169.2}

If the evidence is not reasonable, then is it true evidence?

Was it Mark Twain that wrote: "Faith is believing what you know ain't so."

Re: Rejection of the Testimonies Foretold, Part 1 [Re: APL] #184901
08/11/17 03:29 PM
08/11/17 03:29 PM
T
The Wanderer  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2022

Central Alberta
Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are you saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Is Grace the gift, or is Faith the gift, or both?

Faith that enables us to receive God's gifts is itself a gift, of which some measure is imparted to every human being. It grows as exercised in appropriating the word of God. In order to strengthen faith, we must often bring it in contact with the word. {Ed 253.4}

Yes, Faith is a gift.

"Knowing" God does not have to involve "reason" at all, although, of course, sometimes it does.
Not at all, except when it does? Huh.

But God has given in the Scriptures sufficient evidence of their divine authority. His own existence, His character, the truthfulness of His word, are established by testimony that appeals to our reason; and this testimony is abundant. True, He has not removed the possibility of doubt; faith must rest upon evidence {Ed 169.2}

If the evidence is not reasonable, then is it true evidence?

Was it Mark Twain that wrote: "Faith is believing what you know ain't so."

APL< if you would have used scripture to explain yourself first, it would make continuing this topic much easier. As per Eph 2:8, it does not call either grace or faith "the gift," rather, that word gift is used to describe "being saved" You misquote the spirit of prophecy to say something about scripture that it does not I call that a rejection of the testimonies

"The worst foes of my spiritual life have never been hostile circumstance."

"There is always a little bit of light" (Micah 7:8)
https://www.lightintheclouds.net/word

Sincerely, IN Christ; and THROUGH The Spirit

- The Wanderer
Re: Rejection of the Testimonies Foretold, Part 1 [Re: Charity] #184902
08/11/17 04:17 PM
08/11/17 04:17 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
APL< if you would have used scripture to explain yourself first, it would make continuing this topic much easier. As per Eph 2:8, it does not call either grace or faith "the gift," rather, that word gift is used to describe "being saved" You misquote the spirit of prophecy to say something about scripture that it does not I call that a rejection of the testimonies
Saved how? By faith through grace. Faith, Grace, Salvation - it is all a gift.

Where is the misquote? Faith that enables us to receive God's gifts is itself a gift

Page 45 of 46 1 2 43 44 45 46

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!