HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,568
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 3,107 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Celebration Church #33956
04/10/04 02:31 PM
04/10/04 02:31 PM
debbie  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
USA
Celebration churches seem to be growing in North America. What are some of the characteristics of a "celebration" church? What gives you a clue that the church you are visiting or attend might be headed in the direction of celebration?

I'll list one thing that our church did that sent off a warning bell. We started singing between SS and Church services. Normally that wouldn't bother me because by itself, it is perfectly fine. But I knew it was one of the things the celebration church did and I knew it was one step down that road.

Our church began to sing contemporary music, some of it highly syncopated. The words to the music was on the screen with a projector in use.

To me this was one step towards celebrationism.

Re: Celebration Church #33957
04/10/04 09:18 PM
04/10/04 09:18 PM
John H.  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
North Carolina, USA
Our church has that too now, though the young women who lead out still mix it in with traditional hymns. And the singing still is accompanied by piano and organ only. If someone tries to introduce bass and drums, we'll have a problem here....and that's not just myself talking; several members here have said that.

I don't really have a big problem with the music as it's now done, though I do notice that the lyrics to the contemporary songs are pretty simple and repetitious, when compared to the lyrics in the standard old hymns. When singing something like "There's Power in the Blood", it feels like we're really *saying something*. When singing some of these newer tunes, it feels like singing a romance novel sometimes -- simplistic, sentimental, not much of real substance to it.

Another thing I've noticed is lowered dress standards. Years ago *all* the men had on coats and ties. Now I see more and more people showing up in plain ol' street clothes...blue jeans, deck shoes, flannel shirts, etc. "Come as you are." That's one thing Rick Warren and his "Purpose Driven" stuff encourages. More women are wearing high heels, short skirts, makeup, jewelry too. I saw a 6-year-old little girl with a mini-skirt the other week.

Do these things go together with celebration-style worship? I think they do.

Re: Celebration Church #33958
04/10/04 09:30 PM
04/10/04 09:30 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
The sure sign of something being wrong, or going wrong, is when a lowering of our standards accompanies it.

This, sad to say, is also happening in way too many of our churches, both non-SDA and SDA churches alike.

In our Sabbath School discussion this morning, the subject of dress came up in relation to who we have come to worship. It seems we have lost the awe towards the one and only true God before whom we have come befoe to worship. This thought came out in the discussion of Isaiah 6:1-3 which says, "In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple. Above it stood the seraphims: each one had six wings; with twain he covered his face, and with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he did fly. And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the LORD of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory."

Re: Celebration Church #33959
04/10/04 11:30 PM
04/10/04 11:30 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Celebrationism you say. Lets see the signs so far, singing between SS and church service, using a projector to get the words to the people, singing newly written songs, young women leading the singing, possibly using other instruments than piano and organ, shorter texts to the songs than in the old hymns, all males not wearing suit and tie to church. Could someone please tell me where the problem starts?
How many of these do you need to get a celebration church? The one I grew up in always had singing between SS and church service. And it was always the convergation that was to choose what to sing. But as the church had no young wimen who could lead it, older ones did. They also used piano and the old hymns. So it got one wrong and three right, I guess its a pass. To leave sarcasms, it is obviously assumed that celebration churches which seem to be described as churches that sing alot with more than one instrument playing and singing of Gods love and grace without telling a story with the song are, if not evil so at least deluded. I would simply want to add one question. WHY?

/Thomas

Re: Celebration Church #33960
04/11/04 12:39 AM
04/11/04 12:39 AM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I am more interested in the results of an activity or format than the activity or the format itself, as long as the activity or format doesn't go against the Word and/or the SOP, which are in harmony with each other.

If it brings us closer to God along with the corresponding fruit of the Spirit, then it must be OK, otherwise........

Re: Celebration Church #33961
04/11/04 02:22 AM
04/11/04 02:22 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
In The Great Controversy there is a chapter on Modern Revivals, and it explains what we are seeing entering the church.

Specifically the area of rock music as a form of worship. When someone is questioned with that the excuse is "It is to glorify God".. I know of a lot of things I can do and say it's to the Glory of God.

Yet when did we have to become like the world by mixing the Holy and the profane for an increased membership?

I have read that in many countries there are different celebration styles.. Well that's great if you are in Kenya, or the reunions islands, but we are here in North America so we should remember who we are worshipping on the Sabbath, and that it is a Holy & blessed day.

God Bless,
Will

Re: Celebration Church #33962
04/11/04 07:00 PM
04/11/04 07:00 PM
debbie  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
USA
Yesterday we visited another church out of town and while in the small lesson study, a visiting GC man (who was the speaker) was visiting along with his wife.

When these verses Daryl mentioned in Isaiah 6 came up, the wife of the GC man (liberal people) exclaimed since the angels said "Holy, Holy, Holy" that they were NOT quiet in worshiping God and that WHATEVER you do in church was okay as long as you are worshiping God with the right "spirit" etc. I was SHOCKED at her words!! She emphasized over and over that the angels were NOT quiet but noisy.

I decided she would fit right in, in a penticostal church. She was saying that it was okay to have a celebration church style of worship. And of course several people were saying "amen" to her words.

Re: Celebration Church #33963
04/11/04 07:08 PM
04/11/04 07:08 PM
debbie  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
USA
John, our church also started out with hymns as well as contemporary music but it wasn't long and the hymns were stopped completely. The contemporary music they liked better.

Another clue to a celebration church was that the youth leaders began serving donuts and cocoa to the kids. They claimed some came to church without eating breakfast and so needed the nourishment.

Well, I guess I haven't seen any dry up and blow away from missing one meal yet. And their minds would be clearer to understanding truth better anyway. I know of many adults who skip Sabbath morning breakfast just so their minds will be sharper to receive a blessing from the services.

The youth leader went so far as to bring her cup of cocoa into the Sanctuary while the contemporary music was being sung between SS and Church services. My next objection to this was: how could we teach the health message while feeding these kids sweet donuts and cocoa? They were being fed stuff that would actually CLOUD up their minds...which is just what satan wants.

Fortunately the youth saw through this one and they basically stopped coming to this church and the whole youth room dried up. There is a big fight among church members going on right now and the youth leaders are making some parents unhappy and so they won't let their kids go into the youth room, when they are the age to move into that room. So it has died up.

Re: Celebration Church #33964
04/11/04 07:38 PM
04/11/04 07:38 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Then what happened there resulting in division instead of unity, and lack of the fruit of the Spirit, clearly tells us something.

Doing things that are disrespectful to the Lord in His sanctuary results in division and strife.

Bringing food into the sanctuary is a sign of disrespect, is it not? And unhealthy food at that! Fellowship dinners, etc. are reserved for eating food, not the worship service, or even Sabbath School.

Regarding the angels saying "Holy, holy, holy..." Do you think they were saying this noisily?

quote:

Isaiah 6:2 Above it stood the seraphims: each one had six wings; with twain he covered his face, and with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he did fly.
3 And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the LORD of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory.

Sounds like one was saying this to the other one, and the other one was saying this in return, something like a town crier might do. That didn't sound like noise to me. This was done in an orderly and joyful fashion. WE can be joyful without being noisy in the process. When I think of noise, I think of something being said with a lot of undistinguishable voices to the point that you don't know what is actually being said.

Re: Celebration Church #33965
04/11/04 10:36 PM
04/11/04 10:36 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
noise = a sound, esp when it is loud or unpleasant or disturbs or worries one; [ oxford dictionary ]

Four possible characteristics to the word. If the person meant it in any of the three last ways it indeed is reason to worry, but it was probably in the first way. There are several different ways one could view loud worship. You guys probably are thinking of something like using lots of instruments with the sole puropose of creating as much loud sound as possible. However, it could also be the difference between one person singing (silent) compared to a 100 person choir singing (loud), a person using a microphone (loud) compared to not using it (silent) etc. Thinking of the old symphonies, the great moments come when silent and loud is contrasted to eachother, if they would be entierly made in whisper or flourish strength they wouldnt be as great as they are when one follows the next. This said, overpowering the rest of the music with one particular instrument, be it drumms or the organ usually takes away rather than add to the total IMO.

But it seems celebration churches arent about music, since clothes and food are clues to it.

((Cocoa and doughnuts for breakfast? [Eek!] [Frown] bread with vegetables would have been more like breakfast... ))

Seems as if the result of the food/song fight have been that the youth no longer comes to the church. I bet it wont be too long before members start to beg them to return and mourn the day they left. The question is if the issues mentioned this far as being the characteristics of celebration churches are important enough to fight over and leave people disillusioned and turning their back on the church. What if on the day of judgement the books read out names of people lost becourse of (James 4:1 What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don't they come from your desires that battle within you?). Perhaps its the other way around, but in that case, one better be 110% sure of it.

/Thomas

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by TheophilusOne. 04/19/24 11:14 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!