HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,566
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 11
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (ProdigalOne, 1 invisible), 2,837 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Celebration Church #33966
04/11/04 10:43 PM
04/11/04 10:43 PM
John H.  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
North Carolina, USA
Doughnuts and cocoa for kids in church? Somebody sure wasn't wearing their thinking cap.

We've known for years that *sugar* can raise a child's hyperactivity level, right? Feeding them doughnuts and cocoa in church is just begging for trouble. Kids running up and down the hallways, fidgeting (more than usual) during church service etc. Expecting them to behave, while feeding them a sugar rush almost guaranteed to produce misbehavior. [Frown]

Re: Celebration Church #33967
04/13/04 03:33 AM
04/13/04 03:33 AM
debbie  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
USA
One reason I am posting these characteristics of the celebration church is for people to understand and take warning because some of the things they do are just fine, but many are not, like the cocoa and donuts in the Sanctuary and Youth rooms.

One of the things the celebration church also does is lots of good works. I really like the idea of a deacon coming out to the cars when it is raining out with big umbrella's to help people get into the sanctuary without getting drenched. That is something they do that I think all churches could do. I believe it is very kind of the deacons to do this type of thing.

Does anyone know of any other characteristics of a celebration church?

Re: Celebration Church #33968
04/12/04 08:16 PM
04/12/04 08:16 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
We have been discussing the steps towards becoming a Celebration Church.

What are all of the steps resulting in becoming a Celebration Church?

Re: Celebration Church #33969
04/12/04 08:54 PM
04/12/04 08:54 PM
T
Tom Wetmore  Offline
Silver Spring, MD, USA
Cocoa and donuts as a characteristic of a "Celebration Church"?!?! Unhealthy and ill- advised, but a characteristic of "celebration" worship? Is that an essential part of their celebration?

Incidently, I believe that "celebration" as worship buzzword is out of vogue. More frequently now you see "Contemporary" as the term to describe more modern forms of worship.

Tom
[Confused]

Re: Celebration Church #33970
04/12/04 09:01 PM
04/12/04 09:01 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
I noticed that the word "Celebration Styles" describes a series of things (not sure what they all consist of) that are done at church.
Anyways just wanted to pitch in something [Big Grin]
God Bless,
Will

Re: Celebration Church #33971
04/12/04 09:13 PM
04/12/04 09:13 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Has the word celebration been replaced with the word contemporary?

If so, then is there a difference between the two words, or do both words mean the same thing?

Re: Celebration Church #33972
04/13/04 05:09 AM
04/13/04 05:09 AM
debbie  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
USA
To answer Tom's concerns; I've seen exactly what a celebration church is. And yes, the donuts and cocoa is definitely a characteristic of it. However, each church might offer other things. I've heard of coffee and donuts, coffee and cookes offered after church is out or between church and SS. And also muffins and cocoa. I don't think the specific food matters but that it came on board WITH the celebration church method of worship.

You can call it other names, I'm sure they will fit but I prefer "celebration." Now the Conference uses other terms since celebration has become such a "bad" word...like "festival" and I suppose "contemporary" or whatever. To me they all mean the same thing.

Re: Celebration Church #33973
04/13/04 05:13 AM
04/13/04 05:13 AM
debbie  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
USA
Another thing I've seen in connection with the celebration church is waving the hand up in the air or sticking the hands up high and waving them back and forth while singing or praying.

I'm not familiar with the Pentecostal church but I believe this comes from their church. I've not seen everyone doing this in the celebration church but if the person in charge up front asks people to put their hands up, most will.

I'm not sure what to think about this one. I know the Bible speaks about praying with the hands upward to God. But I also know that the Pentecostal church does this to "get into the spirit" - does anyone know more about this?

Re: Celebration Church #33974
04/14/04 03:26 AM
04/14/04 03:26 AM
T
Tom Wetmore  Offline
Silver Spring, MD, USA
It strikes me that much of what is being suggested here as characteristics and indications of "celebration", contemporary or whatever modern and nontraditional worship is the intended target are rather superfical and not all that unique to such worship styles or all that new even.

I currently am a member of a fairly conservative church that has a very traditional worship style and service and all of the previous churches of which I have been a member also had traditional worship styles. I have also visited churches with a contemporary worship style to one degree or another. In my experience, I have seen all of the things mentioned above. I have seen the cocoa and donuts routine, and its variations, in very traditional churches that wouldn't dream of having a modern worship style. Providing for and pausing for refreshment is simply a common social and cultural convention and courtesy in a wide variety of contexts beyond religious. If anything this would be an import from other very traditonal Sunday keeping churches which for years have very often serve coffee and tea and socialize a bit before services. That alone would make it suspect in some folks' minds, but seems not to be really anything more than a rather superfical element when it comes to worship even if it could be considered a part of or associated with worship. Rather significantly in the context of the current discussion, neither of the two churches in this area with contemporary worship sevices that I have visted a number of times do the refreshment break at all.

I would say that the terminology tends to fall in the same category. A previous church of which I was a member for years dating back decades ago had a "festival of praise" service at Thanksgiving time. The "praise" that was offered was in the form of bags of groceries that everyone brought as offerings to the front of the church which ended up being a rather large mountain of food covering the platform. At the end of the service the food was sorted, bagged up and delivered to designated families that Sabbath afternoon, often on the way home before we would go home to eat our own Sabbath lunch. So "festival" is descriptive of many things many of which ahve nothing to do with contemporary worship styles.

A vigorous song service at the begining of church is as old as the hills and certainly predates the Adventist denomination. James White was known to come striding down the aisle at the begining of a service singing in a loud rich voice, audibly marking the tempo of the music by striking a book in one hand with his other hand and leading out in a rousing song service. The idea of praise services to open church is hardly new or modern.

The idea of raising hands in prayer and praise appears to have been common practice in Biblical times. David speaks of it in Psalms 63:4, "I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands." (See also Psalms 28:2, 134:2, 141:2, Lamantations 2:19 and 3:14.) Solomon raised his outstretched hands toward heaven in prayer as noted in 1 Kings 8:54 and Ezra and all the people raised their hands in prayer as recorded in Nehemiah 8:6. In the New Testament Jesus is reported to have raised His hands to bless people and Paul definitely encourages the practice in 1 Timothy 2:8, "I want men everywhere to lift up holy hands in prayer, without anger or disputing." I think it dangerous to be supicious of or critical of any revival, by individuals or groups of this ancient Biblical practice regardless of the worship style in which it occurs as this cuts across worship styles. Just because the Penecostals tend to do this should not be a deciding factor. They also stand and kneel in prayer.

Tom

Re: Celebration Church #33975
04/14/04 10:41 AM
04/14/04 10:41 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
quote:
It is a dangerous thing for men to resist the Spirit of truth and grace and righteousness, because its manifestations are not according to their ideas, and have not come in the line of their methodical plans. The Lord works in his own way, and according to his own devising. Let men pray that they may be divested of self, and may be in harmony with heaven. Let them pray, "Not my will, but thine, O God, be done." Let men bear in mind that God's ways are not their ways, nor his thoughts their thoughts; for he says, "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." In the instruction that the Lord gave Gideon when he was about to fight with the Midianites,--that he should go out against his foes with an army of three hundred blowing trumpets, and carrying empty pitchers in their hands, and shouting, "The sword of the Lord, and of Gideon,--these precise, methodical, formal men would see nothing but inconsistency and confusion. They would start back with determined protest and resistance. They would have held long controversies to show the inconsistency and the dangers that would accompany the carrying on of the warfare in such an extreme way, and in their finite judgment they would pronounce all such movements as utterly ridiculous and unreasonable. How unscientific, how inconsistent, would they have thought the movements of Joshua and his army at the taking of Jericho! "Now Jericho was straitly shut up because of the children of Israel: none went out, and none came in. And the Lord said unto Joshua, See, I have given into thine hand Jericho, and the king thereof, and the mighty men of valor. And ye shall compass the city, all ye men of war, and go round about the city once. Thus shalt thou do six days. And seven priests shall bear before the ark seven trumpets of rams' horns: and the seventh day ye shall compass the city seven times, and the priests shall blow with the trumpets. And it shall come to pass, that when they make a long blast with the ram's horn, and when ye hear the sound of the trumpet, all the people shall shout with a great shout; and the wall of the city shall fall down flat, and the people shall ascend up every man straight before him." Where were the scientific methods in this manner of warfare?
(Concluded next week.)
-
{RH, May 5, 1896 par. 7}

[Big Grin] [Reading]

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!