HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,850 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Re: Is Lifting Hands OK in Church? [Re: DebbieB] #95768
02/18/08 06:33 PM
02/18/08 06:33 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Debbie, I think the reverence God seeks with His people is compassion with the widow and the fatherless, not wether we sit or stand to the song in church or wether we lift hands or fold them for prayer.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Is Lifting Hands OK in Church? [Re: fun2believe] #95940
02/26/08 05:58 PM
02/26/08 05:58 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: fun2believe
MM: Lifting up our hands in church - is it OK? What a strange question. Is there any evidence in the Bible or the SOP that it isn´t okay? As for me, I´m too reserved or too shy or whatever to lift up my hands in church. It doesn´t even occur to me to do it. I see others around me doing it, and I think it´s kind of cool. It makes me feel like they´re being totally blessed in the Spirit. In some cases, though, I wonder about it, because those same people are living in open sin (the same can be said about other members who do not lift up their hands in church).

One day, I surprised myself. The preacher was waxing eloquent, the Spirit was moving wonderfully, and I stood up right in the middle of his sermon and said - "Jesus is altogether awesome and wonderful. Praise His holy name." Then I sat down thoroughly amazed at what had come over me. It felt right.

Fun2Believe: Aren't we ALL living in sin? Are some of us more open about it, and others more private about it? I personally don't see how being a sinner (since that includes every single person on this planet) either makes you blessed or not blessed, and more or less likely to lift any part of the body.

I hadn't anticipated this response to what I posted above. Interesting. What do you mean by - "Aren't we ALL living in sin"?

And, how does this comment/question relate to the concept of "open sin" (i.e., intentional, premeditated sinning) as opposed to unintentional, spontaneous sinning?

Re: Is Lifting Hands OK in Church? [Re: Mountain Man] #95983
02/27/08 03:47 PM
02/27/08 03:47 PM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man

I hadn't anticipated this response to what I posted above. Interesting.

It is interesting to get a response that you hadn't anticipated.

I find it perhaps more interesting to have a lack of response when one was anticipated.

Re: Is Lifting Hands OK in Church? [Re: crater] #96204
03/04/08 10:49 AM
03/04/08 10:49 AM
Rick H  Offline

Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
No, we arent all living in sin, depending where the Holy Spirits work is at, we are letting go and becoming dead to sin. Many die to sin daily and show the fruits of the Spirit which has transformed them, and that also affects how they handle even the 'sins of omission' as they bear the results of the transformation. Many knee is unbowed to temptation once the Holy Spirit has cleanse their hearts and minds and they begin to replace the carnal mind with the mind of Christ..

1 Kings 19:18
Yet I have left me seven thousand in Israel, all the knees which have not bowed unto Baal, and every mouth which hath not kissed him.

Re: Is Lifting Hands OK in Church? [Re: Barry] #114279
06/07/09 02:24 AM
06/07/09 02:24 AM
D
D R  Offline
Charter Member
SDA
Active Member 2020

East Coast Canada
maybe we do not lift our hands because we are in a "slumber"???

Re: Is Lifting Hands OK in Church? [Re: Barry] #114328
06/07/09 02:41 PM
06/07/09 02:41 PM
C
Chief Of Sinners  Offline
New Member (Starting to Post)
South Africa
I'd not do it. And I'd feel mighty uncomfortable if it was being done. Of course, if the pastor is praying, and dedicating the congregation to God, like Solomon did, that would be a different matter. I've never felt the urge to. None of the great hymns give me any reason to. I've lifted up my heart though...

Re: Is Lifting Hands OK in Church? [Re: D R] #114416
06/09/09 12:11 AM
06/09/09 12:11 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: BeachBubbaDan (BBD)
maybe we do not lift our hands because we are in a "slumber"???

LOL That may very well be true.

I've spent quite a bit of time, too much time, watching basketball with friends. You know what is often done when our team does something good? We jump up, lift our hands high, scream and shout in jubilation, cheer our team on, hug each other, etc. And if you've ever watched a pro game in person, you know that this is not limited to friends; perfect strangers do this with each other all the time.

Why doesn't this happen in church? I can think of 3 possible reasons off the top of my head:

1) There are situations when such outward displays of jubilation is out of place. Church is one of those.

2) Maybe there's nothing being said or done that is as exciting as a basketball game. There are churches that are so devoid of life that something thrilling, such as the promise of an eternity of holiness with God, is out of place there. The norm there are the same old bland messages, if you can even call them messages, that we've all heard many times.

I heard a sermon on clapping in church one time, where the preacher said that clapping in the Bible was limited to certain events, one of them being victory in war. I thought to myself, "Aren't we talking about victory in the war against self, sin, and Satan? Shouldn't we be clapping, then?" Then I realized, "No, I guess we're not. We just wasting our time rehashing the same useless stuff we always have." In short, there's just nothing to get excited about.

3) Maybe there's all sorts of exciting things going on, but the people are just too dull to notice. I preached a series one time where I ended with this thought: All have sinned, but we all can receive God's grace and become saints. Then they all sat there like bumps on a log! So I got on their cases for being so unresponsive to the Gospel promise. Then all the excuses came out about why they can't really stop from sinning.

But from what I can tell, their problem was not that they could not stop sinning, but they did not want to stop sinning. They were still enjoying the pleasures of sin. And those in such a state are in no condition to rejoice when they hear God's precious promises.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Is Lifting Hands OK in Church? [Re: Daryl] #161142
02/01/14 08:53 AM
02/01/14 08:53 AM
A
Alchemy  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018

Most Dedicated Member
Asia
It is a terrible day that Satan's counterfeits frighten off SDA Christians. But, if we lift our hands in the spirit of Lamentations 3:41, it is a blessing to God.

Re: Is Lifting Hands OK in Church? [Re: Rick H] #161171
02/02/14 12:51 AM
02/02/14 12:51 AM
G
Godsloveandlaw  Offline
SDA
Supporting Member 2015
Active Member 2015

Coachella Valley, Cailf.
"No, we arent all living in sin, depending where the Holy Spirits work is at, we are letting go and becoming dead to sin."

Amen brother. One thing we must guard ever so much is the mistaken belief that "we are sinners, and just can't help it" attitude. We are told by our great King, "He overcomes shall inherit all things, and I will be His God and he shall be My son." (Rev.21:7)

Overcome what? Sin. Does that mean we are sinless before Christ comes? No, but there must be an overcoming of knowing sins in our life. Repetitive sins do indeed provide evidence we haven't "overcome". In other words-- a new converted life is a must.

Ellen White gets even more specific, " Not one of us will ever receive the seal of God while our characters have one spot or stain upon them. It is left with us to remedy the defects in our characters, to cleanse the soul of every defilement." (Test.for the Church, vol. 5, p.214)

Again, the question is--what constitutes a spot or stain? It can be only a cherished sin we practice in our life. One that we do against His repeated warnings. Sadly, this warning system can break (as a car's brake system soon fails if we ignore the warning signs) and then we no longer know that our sinning is wrong, a very very bad position to come to.

The Good Shepherd works night and day to bring our path into His straight and narrow way. To have us stop our wrongs and sins.

"I know they works", says He that "walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks." It is known what opportunities have been slighted, how untiring have been the efforts of the Good Shepherd to search out those who were wandering in crooked ways, and bring them back to the path of safety and peace.Again and again God has called after the pleasure lovers; again and again He has flashed the light of His word across their path, that they might see their peril, and escape. But on and on they go, jesting and joking as they travel the broad road, until at length their probation is ended." (Ibid, p.435)

Last edited by Godsloveandlaw; 02/02/14 12:54 AM.
Re: Is Lifting Hands OK in Church? [Re: Godsloveandlaw] #161183
02/02/14 08:43 AM
02/02/14 08:43 AM
jamesonofthunder  Offline
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
The issue of lifting ones hands is a very important one.

What is the motivation in raising your hands? Do you do it in private prayer? Or is it only for show?

Are you lifting up yourself or begging for God to have mercy on you? Do you see the Father or just the ceiling when you do it?

I would say this in the name of Christ, the act of raising hands makes those hands no purer.

If the act of raising hands is not mixed with the need to fall to your knees, then it better be in praise for a blessing.

So MANY people go to christian rock concerts and, like the mosh pit or wave in secular auditoriums, they all have their hands in the air. Like it is manditory.

I am ashamed of those events because the hearts of the people go to the stage not to the heavens. The total spirit of anti-Christ.

Search me oh God and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts, see if there is any offensive way in me and lead me to the way everlasting. Amen
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!