I presented the following message in the Fredericton SDA Church on Sabbath, September 29, 2001:

Wake-up Call

I was on my way to work. In fact, I left the house late and was going to be at least 15 minutes late for work, however, upon arriving there at about 8:15 a.m. I discovered tons of people standing all over the place. I recognized them as co-workers from the Federal Building.

"What's happening?" I asked.

"About 100 or so striking workers from the civilian workers from Base Gagetown have surrounded the Federal Building and won't let anybody in." was basically the answer I received. Negotiations were underway to at least allow the essential workers to initially enter the building.

About 9:00 a.m. or so, some of the essential workers were allowed into the building seemingly at the rate of a few each hour.

About 10:00 a.m. or so, word began reaching our ears about something that happened in New York City.

There was a TV in the barber shop across the street from the Federal Building. I saw the twin towers with smoke rising from each of their upper floors.

In the Delhi almost next door to the barber shop, a radio was broadcasting the news about what had happened.

The radio spoke about a plane crashing into each of the twin towers. We also later learned about another plane crashing into the military section of the Pentagon in Washington, DC.

At about 11:30 a.m. as a result of the Canadian Armed Forces being placed into "high alert" the picket lines came down, and those of us still outside entered into the building where we were told that we could either go home, or stay and watch the news on TV.

If anybody had family or relatives living in the vicinity of what soon became known as "ground zero" they could use "sick leave" and go home, otherwise, anybody else could use "annual leave" and go home.

Being given those choices of going home using either sick or annual leave, or giving the opportunity to either work or watch the news as it unfolds over TV and/or radio told me of the gravity of the situation and how it affected all of us here in Fredericton, NB.

I chose to stay and spent some of the time watching it on TV and the rest of the time listening to it on the radio as I attempted to do some work which hardly amounted to any work at all on that now historical day of Tuesday, September 11, 2001.

I left for home at 4:00 p.m. listening to the radio on my way home and watching it on the TV as soon as I arrived home.

As you already know, there were four planes hi-jacked in the terrorist attacks of which three of them reached their targets.

The fourth one, thanks to the heroic efforts of an attempt by the passengers to regain control of the plane, sadly crashed into a field in Pennsylvania. It was conjectured that the target of that plane was either the White House or Air Force 1.

Amongst the over 6,000 missing and presumed dead, nine Seventh-day Adventist Church members are amongst this number following the September 11 terrorist attacks in New York City and Washington, D.C.

1. Ted Moy, a deacon at the Spencerville Church in Silver Spring, Maryland, worked at the Pentagon. He was on a training exercise at an office very close to the point of impact. Moy leaves behind his wife, Madeline, and two teenagers, Jessica and Daniel.

2. Michael Baksh, mid-30s, was working in Tower 2 of the World Trade Center (WTC). It was his first day on the job. He was a very active member of the Church of the Advent Hope in Upper Manhattan and was recently elected chair of the church board. He leaves behind a wife and two children.

3. Lissy Martinez, late 20s, was also working in Tower 2. She was a Pathfinder leader of the Spanish Fort Washington Church in Upper Manhattan. She leaves a husband and two children.

4. Maxima Jean-Pierre, mid-40s, worked in Tower 2. A Youth Sabbath School Teacher at the Spanish Patchogue church, in Long Island, New York. She leaves a husband and four children.

5. Josue Velasquez worked at Tower 1. He was a faithful member of the Spanish Intervale Church in Bronx and helped out with camp meeting programs. He leaves a wife and three children.

6. LeRoy Homer was co-pilot of United Airlines Flight 93 that crashed in Western Pennsylvania. He was a frequent visitor to the Mt. Holly English Church in New Jersey where his wife Melodie is an active member.

7. Jorge Velazquez was a member of the Passaic I Spanish Church in New Jersey. As chief of security in Tower 2, he was busy ushering people out of the building from the 31st floor. He called home to communicate with his family at that time, but has not been heard from since. "Your father is a real hero," the company president told Velazquez's family.

8. Steve Bunin, late 40s, was active in the audio visual department of the Corona Church in Queens. He worked for Cantor Fitzgerald on the 103rd floor of Tower 1. He leaves behind a wife, Hyacinth.

9. Michelle Nelson, 27, also worked for Cantor Fitzgerald on the 103rd Floor of Tower 1. She was a member of the Linden Church in Queens, serving as a clerk, Adventist Youth Services leader, and in the youth choir. Church members say she was well known for baking great pies.

None of these people even had a clue that this would be their last day alive on this sinful planet known as Earth. We also need to pray that they all were awake in Jesus at the time of this tragedy, and that they are all now sleeping in Jesus until that resurrection call of Jesus Himself on that great and glorious day.

Adventist members have also lost family and friends in the tragedy.

1. Joan Silver, a member of the Sligo Adventist Church in Takoma Park, Maryland, lost a daughter, Valerie, 46, who worked near the top of one of the towers.

2. Dick Stenbakken, chaplaincy ministries director for the Adventist Church, reported that, despite rumors to the contrary, Rear Admiral Barry Black, chief of chaplains for the United States Navy and an Adventist Church member, was not harmed in the attack. "Chaplain Black was away when the attacks occurred and is safe," said Stenbakken.

As this definitely affected us at work, I can imagine how much more those who lost loved ones, or those who barely escaped with their ives were affected, not to mention those rescue workers. Just the other day in the elevator at work somebody asked me what my take was on this tragic event. As she was getting off on a different floor, I only had the chance to say something to the effect that this was another definite sign of the 2nd coming and time was running out.

How much have we as church members been affected by this?

Do we ourselves see it as a definite sign of the 2nd coming?

Mark Finley and some of the other evangelists seem to be aware that this was a fulfillment of prophecy and we need to be putting forth earnest effort to finish the work.

They have healed also the hurt of the daughter of my people slightly, saying, Peace, peace; when there is no peace. Jeremiah 6:14

For they have healed the hurt of the daughter of my people slightly, saying, Peace, peace; when there is no peace. Jeremiah 8:11

For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape. 1 Thessalonians 5:3

What did Ellen White say about the city of New York many years ago?

"God has not executed His wrath without mercy. His hand is stretched out still. His message must be given in Greater New York. The people must be shown how it is possible for God, by a touch of His hand, to destroy the property they have gathered together against the last great day." --3MR 310, 311 (1902). {Last Day Events 112.3}

Here is another quote by Ellen White:

"I have no light in particular in regard to what is coming on New York, only that I know that one day the great buildings there will be thrown down by the turning and overturning of God's power. . . . Death will come in all places. This is why I am so anxious for our cities to be warned." .--RH July 5, 1906. {Last Day Events 112.4}

Could it be that God allowing something to happen be like God doing it Himself in the same way that Pharoah hardening his own heart be comparable to God hardening Pharoah's heart?

Still yet another quote with some interesting description that makes me wonder:

"On one occasion, when in New York City, I was in the night season called upon to behold buildings rising story after story toward heaven. These buildings were warranted to be fireproof, and they were erected to glorify their owners and builders. . . ." {Last Day Events 113.1}

"The scene that next passed before me was an alarm of fire. Men looked at the lofty and supposedly fireproof buildings and said: "They are perfectly safe." But these buildings were consumed as if made of pitch. The fire engines could do nothing to stay the destruction. The firemen were unable to operate the engines."
--9T 12, 13 (1909). {Last Day Events 113.2}

"I have seen the most costly structures in buildings erected and supposed to be fireproof, and just as Sodom perished in the flames of God's vengeance so will these proud structures become ashes. . . . The flattering monuments of men's greatness will be crumbled in the dust even before the last great destruction comes upon the world." --3SM 418 (1901). {LDE 111.6}

"Even before the last great destruction comes upon the world" rules out a second coming destruction in this instance.

Still more quotes from the writings of Ellen G. White:

"God is withdrawing His Spirit from the wicked cities, which have become as the cities of the antediluvian world and as Sodom and Gomorrah. . . . Costly mansions, marvels of architectural skill, will be destroyed without a moment's notice when the Lord sees that the owners have passed the boundaries of forgiveness. The destruction by fire of the stately buildings, supposed to be fireproof, is an illustration of how in a short time earth's architecture will lie in ruins." --TDG 152 (1902). {Last Day Events 112.1}

"Men will continue to erect expensive buildings, costing millions of money. Special attention will be called to their architectural beauty and the firmness and solidity with which they are constructed, but the Lord has instructed me that despite the unusual firmness and expensive display, these buildings will share the fate of the temple in Jerusalem." --5BC 1098 (1906). {Last Day Events 112.2}

Do we also see it as a wake-up call of opportunity?

According to 3ABN TV, Kevin Paulson, an evangelist, will be holding an evangelistic series in the Manhattan SDA Church beginning in early October. This series had been planned for some time, but how fortuitous the timing is.

I was personally disappointed when we cancelled our evangelistic series this Fall as I feel we are letting this type of an opportunity pass us by.

Perhaps we can still do something public on a lesser scale either individually or as a group such as a once or twice a week advertised prophecy meetings using the DVDs.

Whatever we do, I think you all agree we need to awaken and arise to the opportunity and at least do something!

Revelation 3:2 "Awake, and strengthen what remains and is on the point of death, for I have not found your works perfect in the sight of my God.
3 Remember then what you received and heard; keep that, and repent. If you will not awake, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what hour I will come upon you."

One thing we can all do right now is to pray for an opportunity to share this last days truth that we have to somebody, and when that opportunity comes, to be awake and not let it pass us by, otherwise, don't even pray for an opportunity, and go back to sleep.

Daryl

[This message has been edited by Daryl Fawcett (edited October 08, 2001).]