HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,186
Posts195,505
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 17
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
8 registered members (Kevin H, TruthinTypes, Wendell Slattery, Daryl, ProdigalOne, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 3,093 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Does Mackerel Have Both Fins & Scales? #38336
05/31/04 09:29 PM
05/31/04 09:29 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
According to Leviticus 11:9-12 (quoted below), we are not to eat anything of the water that doesn't have both fins and scales.

quote:

Leviticus 11:9 "These you may eat, of all that are in the waters. Everything in the waters that has fins and scales, whether in the seas or in the rivers, you may eat.

Leviticus 11:10 But anything in the seas or the rivers that has not fins and scales, of the swarming creatures in the waters and of the living creatures that are in the waters, is an abomination to you.

Leviticus 11:11 They shall remain an abomination to you; of their flesh you shall not eat, and their carcasses you shall have in abomination.

Leviticus 11:12 Everything in the waters that has not fins and scales is an abomination to you.

Here is my question: Does mackerel have both fins and scales?

Re: Does Mackerel Have Both Fins & Scales? #38337
05/31/04 10:44 PM
05/31/04 10:44 PM
Ikan  Offline
Very Dedicated Member
Plowing
For the life of me, I can't figure out where folks got the strange idea that Adventists can keep Jewish Kosher laws...Don't folks know how destructive this is to our witness? How can we battle other christian's arguments that we are "Jewish" when we continue to ignore God's counsels:

"Vegetables, fruits, and grains should compose our diet. Not an ounce of flesh meat should enter our stomachs. The eating of flesh is unnatural. We are to return to God's original purpose in the creation of man. {CD 380.2}

"The Lord intends to bring His people back to live upon simple fruits, vegetables, and grains. He led the children of Israel into the wilderness where they could not get a flesh diet; and He gave them bread from heaven..."And the mixed multitude that was among them fell a lusting and the children of Israel also wept again, and said, Who shall give us flesh to eat? We remember the fish we did eat in Egypt so freely; and the cucumbers, and the melons, and the leeks, and the onions, and the garlic. But now our soul is dried away; and there is nothing at all besides this manna before our eyes." Because they were so determined to have the flesh of dead animals, He gave them the very diet He had withheld from them." {SpM 46.1}

Oh...I'm not saying you aren't an Adventist if you eat dead animals, not at all. But please, somebody show me where it is written that we should keep Kosher!

Re: Does Mackerel Have Both Fins & Scales? #38338
05/31/04 10:58 PM
05/31/04 10:58 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Somebody told me today that mackerel doesn't have scales, therefore, I am simply asking for a verification on this.

Re: Does Mackerel Have Both Fins & Scales? #38339
05/31/04 11:23 PM
05/31/04 11:23 PM
John H.  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
North Carolina, USA
A few years back I saved a web page listing kosher and non-kosher fish to disk, from a site that's no longer in operation (had a premonition!) According to that page, mackerel are kosher/clean. Since then I've read that mackerel have very small scales, leading some to believe that they don't have them.

Below is the section on mackerel from that page, which was in the "Kosher Fish" section:

quote:
Mackerels and tunas (Family Scombridae), Including: Mackerels (Scomber species, Scomberomorus species, Auxis species); Spanish mackerels, cero, and sierra (Scomberomorus species); King mackerel or kingfish (Scomberomorus cavalla); Bonitos (Sarda species); Wahoo (Acanthocybius solanderi); tunas (Thunnus species, Euthynnus species); Skipjack tunas (Euthynnus or Katsuwonus species); Albacore (thunnus alalunga)
But not including: Snake mackerels

Ikan, of course it's better to be veggie/vegan. But some among our number haven't gotten to that point yet, and for those people it's good to be able to tell them which meats are clean and which aren't, don't you think? If we have members eating fish I'd sure rather see them eating clean fish than unclean.

Re: Does Mackerel Have Both Fins & Scales? #38340
06/01/04 12:00 AM
06/01/04 12:00 AM
Ikan  Offline
Very Dedicated Member
Plowing
Oh, I agree, John; there are many among us here too that have not "gotten to that point", and far be it from me to brow-beat anyone over their diets!

But, Kosher doesn't work well today. Why? Pollution and humanly engendered epidemic disease, vastly higher than 500 BC Hebrews ever could have dreamed it to be, over-ride simple A or B Kosher choices.
I suppose that's why God sent His Messenger, EGW, to "update" us in this Industrial Nightmare Age.

Let's look at mackerel, realistically, out of the sanitary looking cans and well lit Seafood case down at the Kroger's:
Warning #1

Warning #2

Warning #3

Would not my warning our brothers and sisters about the dangers of meat eating be my moral duty, as much as being understanding of their reluctance to change their diets to God's more healthy way?

It's all about our own good, this Health Reform of God's, not punishment, torture or masochism.

You're no use has a soldier if you are out of action due to bad canteen habits!

Re: Does Mackerel Have Both Fins & Scales? #38341
06/01/04 12:24 AM
06/01/04 12:24 AM
debbie  Offline
Dedicated Member
USA
When I was converted at age 15, the first thing I was convicted on was to give up eating clean meat. It wasn't all that hard since I was at a boarding academy and no meat was served to the kids.

But later I had a hard time with fish. I always liked it. My whole family were SDA but still ate clean meat. The Lord knew I was tempted with eating fish, so He arranged for me to marry a fisherman. My husband is a Bristol Bay Commercial salmon Fisherman in Alaska each summer. (We are also close to being vegan) I watched how the salmon were canned one day. My "love affair" with fish was over! Some of those fish were full of worms. And the canning people couldn't care less if they were or not, they were ALL canned. I'm talking about the expensive sockeye salmon.

YES, we need to stay away from all meat. God asks us to stay away from it and not include it in our diet and He has many reasons for it. But mostly so that we will be in good health.

Re: Does Mackerel Have Both Fins & Scales? #38342
06/01/04 01:33 AM
06/01/04 01:33 AM
John H.  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
North Carolina, USA
Yeesh! Glad I'm near-vegan as well.

BTW, y'know what I think is worse than fish? Dairy products. (Don't let me get started! [Wink] Guess that'd be off topic anyway.)

Re: Does Mackerel Have Both Fins & Scales? #38343
06/01/04 01:40 AM
06/01/04 01:40 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Dairy products?

You can always create a new topic, John, on dairy products. [Smile]

Re: Does Mackerel Have Both Fins & Scales? #38344
06/01/04 02:31 AM
06/01/04 02:31 AM
debbie  Offline
Dedicated Member
USA
Go for it John!!! Don't get me started on cheese...I have a love/hate relationship with it. But I'll save that for Johns new topic...

Re: Does Mackerel Have Both Fins & Scales? #38345
06/01/04 12:50 PM
06/01/04 12:50 PM
Ikan  Offline
Very Dedicated Member
Plowing
If Adventists are seriously concerned about ancient Kosher laws, that Biblical meat eating bars the eating of crustaceans — aquatic animals with skeletons outside their bodies, including shrimp, crab and lobsters, then they should rightly obey them, true?.

So.....How do today's modern Adventist "clean meat eaters" justify snickering at this?

"...and swallow a camel.."

Your Baptist neighbor sees your diet as on a par with these guys....ask them...I dare ya!

Sure; it's no snap to wean yourself from your favorite meats, but isn't your witness, if not your health worth it?

It was a serious stumbling block for me, as a new convert from the non-SDA world when I read EGW, and saw folks at pot-lucks go veggie, but at home eat beef and such.

[ June 01, 2004, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: Ikan ]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:23 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 03/15/24 08:53 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
How tall were Adam and Eve?
by dedication. 02/28/24 07:30 PM
Hebrew word YOM or yowm meaning?
by dedication. 02/26/24 05:42 AM
The Book of Job
by teresaq. 02/22/24 04:43 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by kland. 03/05/24 01:37 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Daryl. 02/29/24 11:21 AM
Should Walter Veight have preached this sermon?
by dedication. 02/21/24 05:28 PM
Labor Unions and Adventist
by Rick H. 02/20/24 01:59 PM
Spiritualism: Across The Gulf...
by Rick H. 02/20/24 01:52 PM
Samuele Bacchiocchi & Recent Article Concerns
by dedication. 02/20/24 01:39 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!