HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 15
Rick H 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,970 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
SIN (singular) and sins (plural) - Hogwash or Whitewash? #45078
04/22/02 04:43 PM
04/22/02 04:43 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
The idea that SIN (singular) is a "state of being," and that sins (plural) is a "state of doing" is quite popular nowadays. Most people use this information to say there is a difference between Who we are and What we do. "They" go on to conclude that we are a sin and that we also commit sins.

What does the Bible say? What do you believe? And what are the implications either way?

Re: SIN (singular) and sins (plural) - Hogwash or Whitewash? #45079
04/23/02 02:56 PM
04/23/02 02:56 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
1 JOHN
3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

The Upward Look, page 371.7
"The love of God ever tends to the fear of God--fear to offend Him. Those who are truly converted will not venture heedlessly upon the borders of any evil, lest they grieve the Spirit of God and are left to their own way, to be filled with their own doings. The Word of God is the Guidebook; turn not from its pages to depend upon the human agent. That Book contains the warnings, the admonitions, from God, the rebuke of every evil, the clear definition of sin as the transgression of the law which is God's great standard of virtue and holiness. . . . Not one who will study the Word of God and apply its teachings will miss the way."

The Bible and the SOP clearly teach that sin is the transgression of the law. Sin is not a state of being. It's not who or what we are. Sin is any thought, word or deed that violates the law of God. All other definitions are manmade and must lead to sin.

It is false definitions of sin that cause people to sin. How? It makes people take sin lightly, which in turn causes them to excuse sin. If sin is anything and everything, then sin is nothing at all, and sin ceases to be sin. And then people sin without guilt and feel no need to repent. Sin becomes so normal, that it no longer offends. Or the opposite is true. People become preoccupied with sin and they cannot keep their eyes on Jesus - their only source of victory over sin. And so they sin and sin.

People who sin easily are the ones who tend to accept false definitions of sin. Even though the Bible clearly teaches that born again believers do not sin, their frequent failures force them to justify sinning so easy. So they invent or adopt theories that pacify their troubled conscience, but which also contradict the plain promises of God. This causes them to twist the promises to mean something entirely opposite of what they clearly teach about sin and salvation. And it is these excuses they lead to sin.

Conflict and Courage, page 120.5
"The love of God will never lead to the belittling of sin; it will never cover or excuse an unconfessed wrong. . . . By indulgence in sin, men are led to lightly regard the law of God. . . . Purity of heart will lead to purity of life. All excuses for sin are vain. Who can plead for the sinner when God testifies against him?"

Desire of Ages, page 311.3
"The tempter's agency is not to be accounted an excuse for one wrong act. Satan is jubilant when he hears the professed followers of Christ making excuses for their deformity of character. It is these excuses that lead to sin. There is no excuse for sinning. A holy temper, a Christlike life, is accessible to every repenting, believing child of God."

Re: SIN (singular) and sins (plural) - Hogwash or Whitewash? #45080
04/24/02 03:00 AM
04/24/02 03:00 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
The Faith I live By, page 219

"We have before us the highest, holiest example. In thought, word, and deed Jesus was sinless. Perfection marked all that He did. He points us to the path that He trod, saying, "If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me." Matt. 16:24.

"Christ unites in His person the fullness and perfection of the Godhead and the fullness and perfection of sinless humanity. He met all the temptations by which Adam was assailed, and overcame these temptations because in His humanity He relied upon divine power. This subject demands far more contemplation than it receives. Christians strike too low. They are content with a superficial spiritual experience, and therefore they have only the glimmerings of light, when ... they might discern more clearly the wonderful perfection of Christ's humanity, which rises far above all human greatness, all human power. Christ's life is a revelation of what fallen human beings may become through union and fellowship with the divine nature. . . .

"Men and women frame many excuses for their proneness to sin. Sin is represented as a necessity, an evil that cannot be overcome. But sin is not a necessity. Christ lived in this world from infancy to manhood, and during that time He met and resisted all the temptations by which man is beset. He is a perfect pattern of childhood, of youth, of manhood.

"The life of Christ has shown what humanity can do by being partaker of the divine nature. All that Christ received from God we too may have. Then ask and receive. . . . Let your life be knit by hidden links to the life of Jesus."

Re: SIN (singular) and sins (plural) - Hogwash or Whitewash? #45081
04/24/02 03:10 AM
04/24/02 03:10 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I believe too many people are twisting the Bible to justify sinning and repenting. Until this practice stops, until more people believe the truth about sin and salvation, we shall continue failing to fulfill the gospel commission. We are wandering in the wilderness of sin because too many people are excusing sin and twisting the truth about sin and salvation.

What can the MSDAOL forum members and visitors do to combat the false theories so widely taught and believed, and the tide of evil perpetuated in the name of Jesus?

Re: SIN (singular) and sins (plural) - Hogwash or Whitewash? #45082
04/23/02 05:34 PM
04/23/02 05:34 PM
D
Durk  Offline
North America
Perhaps we have a little "twisting" of Scripture here to suit a particular bent on theology. However, ye ere in that ye know not the Scripture. Yes, I John 3:4 says that sin is the transgression of the law. But Galatians 3:19 says that the law was added. Since the law was added, sin must have existed before the law, and can not be accurately defined as the transgression of the law. The law was introduced 430 years later (after Abraham).

Also, James says that "Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth [it] not, to him it is sin." So here sin is "defined" as not doing the good we know we should.

So we can't hang our whole understanding of sin on one verse.

Re: SIN (singular) and sins (plural) - Hogwash or Whitewash? #45083
04/23/02 08:25 PM
04/23/02 08:25 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Durk, another good definition of sin is, "Whatsoever is not of faith is sin." Rom 14:23. Also, "All unrighteousness is sin." 1 John 5:17.

Paul wrote, "Where no law is, there is no transgression." Rom 4:15. So, in what way did people sin before God wrote the law on stone? Did it exist orally before it was written?

What about Gen 26:5 - "Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws." What commandments and laws did Abraham obey?

What is "the LORD's law" and "my law" mentioned in Ex 13:9 and 16:4. And what was God referring to when He said to Moses, "How long refuse ye to keep my commandments and my laws?" Ex 16:28. And what was Moses talking about when he told his father-in-law, "I do make them know the statutes of God, and his laws." Ex 18:16.

Re: SIN (singular) and sins (plural) - Hogwash or Whitewash? #45084
05/04/02 06:23 PM
05/04/02 06:23 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Did the 10 Commandments exist orally before they were written in stone?

Re: SIN (singular) and sins (plural) - Hogwash or Whitewash? #45085
05/05/02 11:44 AM
05/05/02 11:44 AM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
There are several Biblical aspects of sin. People often (I also have my favoraite one.) concentrate on one of the Biblical aspects, and ignore the others. Actually the total picture of sin ought to include all of the Biblical aspects.

Mike: You quoted I John 3:4. That is a verse that fits nicely with my favorite aspect of sin. I believe you said something to the effect of: "Whoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: . . ." Does not this imply that one who sins breaks the law in addition to his sin. i.e. There is more to sin than simply breaking the law? (Yes I know that the last part of that verse is also important. I do not discard that.)

[ May 05, 2002: Message edited by: Gregory ]

Re: SIN (singular) and sins (plural) - Hogwash or Whitewash? #45086
05/06/02 03:25 AM
05/06/02 03:25 AM
Ikan  Offline
Very Dedicated Member
Plowing
Here you are Mike:
"In the circumstances connected with the giving of the manna, we have conclusive evidence that the Sabbath was not instituted, as many claim, when the law was given at Sinai. Before the Israelites came to Sinai they understood the Sabbath to be obligatory upon them. In being obliged to gather every Friday a double portion of manna in preparation for the Sabbath, when none would fall, the sacred nature of the day of rest was continually impressed upon them. And when some of the people went out on the Sabbath to gather manna, the Lord asked, "How long refuse ye to keep My commandments and My laws?" {Patriachs and Prophets p. 296.3}
[full text reads;Exodus 16:28 "And the LORD said unto Moses, How long refuse ye to keep my commandments and my laws?"
And sice we cannot seperate the Sabbath from the rest of the Ten Commandments, since they are always together, this text carries the impact:
"Here is conclusive evidence that the Sabbath was instituted at creation, when the foundations of the earth were laid, when the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy. And its sacredness remains unchanged, and will so remain even to the close of time. From the creation, EVERY precept of the divine law has been obligatory on man, and has been observed by those who fear the Lord. The doctrine that God's law has been abolished is one of Satan's devices to compass the ruin of the race. {ST, February 28, 1884 par. 4}

Re: SIN (singular) and sins (plural) - Hogwash or Whitewash? #45087
05/05/02 04:09 PM
05/05/02 04:09 PM
Charlene Van Hook  Offline
North Carolina, USA
Selected Messages Book 1-The Divine Standard 320
THE SIGNS OF THE TIMES, DEC. 5, 1892.]

The commandments of God are comprehensive and
far reaching; in a few words they unfold the whole duty of man. "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength. . . . Thou shalt love thy neighbour as
thyself" (Mark 12:30, 31). In these words the length and breadth, the depth and height, of the law of God is comprehended; for Paul declares, "Love is the fulfilling of the
law" (Rom. 13:10). The only definition we find in the Bible for sin is that "sin is the transgression of the law"
(1 John 3:4). The Word of God declares, "All have sinned, and come short of the glory of God" (Rom. 3:23). "There is none that doeth good, no, not one" (Rom. 3: 12). Many are deceived concerning the condition of their hearts. They do not realize that the natural heart is deceitful
above all things, and desperately wicked. They wrap themselves about with their own righteousness, and are satisfied in reaching their own human standard of character; but how fatally they fail when they do not reach the
divine standard, and of themselves they cannot meet the requirements of God."

The reason the other scriptures are not a true definition of sin is that the law is not inclused as the standard of measurment of sin. One may not do what they thing is right...but what is the right they must know. "all unrighteousness is sin"? but what is unrighteousness.....etc. nothing is left out of the scripture, no questions remain with this one..."Sin is the transgression of the law." Bottom line.

The Signs of the Times----DT- 03-03-90
In order to let Jesus into our hearts, we must stop sinning. The only definition for sin that we have in the Bible is that it is the transgression
of the law. The law is far-reaching in its claims, and we must bring our hearts into harmony with it. Men may wrap themselves about with their own righteousness, they may reach their own standard of character, but they do not reach the standard that God has given them in his word. We may measure ourselves by ourselves, and compare ourselves among ourselves; we may say we do as well as this one or as that one, but the great question is, Do we meet the claims that Heaven has upon us? The reason why iniquity prevails
to such an alarming extent is that the law of God is made void in the earth. His law spoken from Sinai and exemplified in the life of Christ,
is perfect, converting the soul. It condemns every sin, and requires every virtue. Not only does it demand a correct outward deportment, but its principles reach even to the thoughts and affections of the heart. "Behold," said the psalmist, "thou desirest truth in the inward parts; and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom." In the light of the law,
covetousness is seen to be idolatry, lust adultery, and anger murder. No wonder that the carnal mind is enmity against God, and not subject to his law."

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!