HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,593
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 13
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, dedication, TruthinTypes, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,618 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 13 of 17 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Re: Does God Foresee or Foreknow What Will Happen Before It Happens, Such As Sin? #46034
06/16/03 03:25 AM
06/16/03 03:25 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
"Truth is not truth until it is understood in truth."

Mike, sorry it is taking me so long to answer, we have had much company and I have not had time to respond. I hope to have some time shortly.

Shalom

Re: Does God Foresee or Foreknow What Will Happen Before It Happens, Such As Sin? #46035
06/16/03 03:36 AM
06/16/03 03:36 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I'll be away for most of the summer. I'll miss studying with everyone. See ya later. God bless.

Re: Does God Foresee or Foreknow What Will Happen Before It Happens, Such As Sin? #46036
06/16/03 05:48 PM
06/16/03 05:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bob, Am I to understand by your comment that what the bible writers indicated in their writings is only their opinion and does not reflect direct inspiration from God?

Or maybe you are using the same method of exegesis that some use for EGW? For example, if it states "I was shown", then it is from God, if not, It is EGW’s own opinion. Similarly, are you indicating that if it states “The Lord said” that it is accurate, if not, it is the writers own flawed “human” understanding?

You see, if you feel that the writers were not inspired in all that they documented, then you have to produce some criterion to use to determine what was inspired and what not. With your apparent view, and without a criterion, the interpretation of all scripture is left up for grabs to the doctrinal whims of anyone wishing to manipulate scripture for their own ends.

Re: Does God Foresee or Foreknow What Will Happen Before It Happens, Such As Sin? #46037
06/17/03 05:24 AM
06/17/03 05:24 AM
B
Boblee  Offline
Keene, TX, USA
Lobo,

How do you react when you read one text which says one thing and you read another which says something contradictory? II Samuel 24:1, for instance, says "the anger of the Lord burned against Israel, and he incited David against them, saying, 'Go and take a census of Israel and Judah;'" but I Chronicles 20:1 says about the same story, "Satan rose up against Israel and incited David to take a census of Israel." Also the creation story in Genesis 2 contradicts in many ways the story of Genesis 1. Are they both "inspired?"

Almost always the answers we get depend on the assumptions we make going in. Consider a similar problem in geometry: the whole thing is based on Euclid's five assumptions or postulates. But as those postulates are examined more closely, it is found that the fifth (about parallel lines meeting at infinity) is arbitrary. In fact several geometries are built on postulates that differ radically from Euclid's and some of them are actually useful in the real world.

In the current discussion, what do you assume "inspiration" means? Adventism has always assumed that it is the author who is inspired, not the words he/she wrote. Thus when Ezekiel saw God land by the river Kebar in His helicopter, he described it as best he could (Ez 1). But since no one had any idea what a helicopter was until a few years ago, scholars have made all sort of interesting interpretations of Ezekiel's description. Did Ezekiel mislead us by not saying "I saw God land in a helicopter?" No, we made some bad assumptions about what he said. I see a similar problem with most of the dissention we experience. We make an assumption (the Bible is verbally inspired, for instance), and interpret everything we read from that assumption. But like Euclid's fifth postulate, there is no good reason for making that assumption over others.

Don't get me wrong, if there are good Biblical or scientific reasons for making a particular assumption, then we do well to chose that one over all of it's rivals. Peter, for instance, says "prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit." So it's reasonable to assume that all prophecy comes from God.

Obviously I have made some assumptions that are different from those you made or that Mike has made. I believe my assumptions are Biblically based, but I presume you believe yours are too. More to the point is another concept which I have come to believe and that is that God gives each of us the understanding which is most beneficial to our own needs. Several on this and other threads have indicated how much their belief has encouraged them. The main point I wish to make is not to change your mind, but to suggest to anyone who has trouble with the traditional view that there is another way of looking at the evidence.

Bob Lee

Re: Does God Foresee or Foreknow What Will Happen Before It Happens, Such As Sin? #46038
06/17/03 08:02 AM
06/17/03 08:02 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
We'll miss you too, Mike. God be with you. I'll look for you when you are back.

Here is a scripture to think about while you are out.

Deuteronomy 8:2 And thou shalt remember all the way which the LORD thy God led thee these forty years in the wilderness, to humble thee, and to prove thee, to know what was in thine heart, whether thou wouldest keep his commandments, or no.

Shalom

Re: Does God Foresee or Foreknow What Will Happen Before It Happens, Such As Sin? #46039
06/17/03 08:09 AM
06/17/03 08:09 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Lobo and Boblee, here is something to think about.

The reality of whether we 'understand in truth', is not dependent on the inspiration of the writer but on the inspiration of the reader.

Luke 8:18 Take heed therefore how ye hear: for whosoever hath, to him shall be given; and whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken even that which he seemeth to have.

Shalom

Re: Does God Foresee or Foreknow What Will Happen Before It Happens, Such As Sin? #46040
06/18/03 03:15 AM
06/18/03 03:15 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bob, good post.

As a way of offering yet another assumption, I contend that part of our difficulty is reconciling seemly contradictory biblical statements is the fact that, I assume, none of us here are Jewish or have that background. We read scripture and make assumptions based on our view of the world, which in the Christian world is based primarily on a Euro centric view and understanding. However, the bible writers were all Jewish and had a much different understanding of the world. They had an oral tradition that helped to explain many of these seemingly conflicting passages. They also understood the original Hebrew that the OT was written in, and they also had cultural norms that supported a more accurate understanding of scriptures as well.

So often what I believe many do is to say that the writers were not inspired, or offer some other explanation when they are not able to understand the passage or it seems to conflict with another. What they don’t realize is that scripture, in particular the OT, was not designed with non-Jews in mind. It was written with Israel in mind.

So before we decide that scripture is not inspired we should make sure we have all the information Israel did, and does, because chances are that we don’t have a very important piece of the puzzle. I personally have gone to Jewish sources many times and have been amazed at the depth and breadth of understanding many Jews have in relation to the OT scriptures.

So the point is that just because we don’t understand it doesn’t mean it is incorrect.

Re: Does God Foresee or Foreknow What Will Happen Before It Happens, Such As Sin? #46041
06/21/03 03:42 AM
06/21/03 03:42 AM
B
Boblee  Offline
Keene, TX, USA
Very good point Lobo, thank you.

You made a good point too, John. Thank you also.

Bob Lee

Re: Does God Foresee or Foreknow What Will Happen Before It Happens, Such As Sin? #46042
06/30/03 04:04 PM
06/30/03 04:04 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Hello. I'll be around until Sunday morning. Then I'm gone for another two weeks. John, thank you for your last post to me. It was very appropriate in that my ministry uses outdoor adventure and training to help young people love Jesus more and more. And God again blessed big time. Thank you Jesus.

Bob Lee, your helicopter idea requires huge assumptions - doesn't it? Are you sure God's space ship isn't a AV-8B Harrier II? http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/hangar/3314/av8b.html

Seriously though, why can't we believe that God used the exact symbol Ezekiel saw? John also saw something that people have tried to say was a helicopter (Rev 9). Then if we want to interpret that symbol to mean a helicopter - fine (though I don't). But to say he saw a helicopter and used word pictures to describe what he couldn't comprehend is a little too sci-fi for my theological tastes.

Did God foresee the invention and use of helicopters and harriers? Of course He did! Did He show them to prophets in vision and allow them the freedom to describe them using pre-historic word pictures? I doubt it.

Re: Does God Foresee or Foreknow What Will Happen Before It Happens, Such As Sin? #46043
07/01/03 11:00 AM
07/01/03 11:00 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Welcome back Mike

Mike said:
quote:

John, It is true, as you wrote, that I cannot explain how God can be omniscient or omnipresent or even omnipotent. I accept these things by faith - because I simply want to and not because I can prove it or explain it.

Mike you said, "I accept these things by faith - because I simply want to and not because I can prove it or explain it." This means that you do not understand it. Is this what faith is? Is faith, believing what we want to believe? Is faith, believing what we want to believe about God? Here is a genuine problem in the concept of saving faith. Sometimes we say things that we do not really mean to say, but it is good to examine what we really mean.
  • God has never said that he is "omniscient", so that you should believe him that he is so. It is man's fabrication; moreover it is without wisdom and understanding. It is man's way of putting his difference with God into a mysterious package with a label.
  • God has never said that he is "omnipresent", so that you should believe him that he is so. It is man's fabrication; moreover it is without wisdom and understanding. It is man's way of putting his difference with God into a mysterious package with a label.
  • God has never said that he is "omnipotent", so that you should believe him that he is so. It is man's fabrication; moreover it is without wisdom and understanding. It is man's way of putting his difference with God into a mysterious package with a label.
It is one thing to believe God when he says something, even if we do not understand it fully. It is quite another thing for man to put things, that he does not know what to do with, in a package and then label it with something as if he understands it while it is a mystery to him.

When man uses definitions and words that God does not use in his revelation to us, he inevitably ends up saying other than God has revealed. Much of the time he makes confusion of it and concludes it in mystery. It is interesting how man chooses words that he himself does not understand what it all entails and/or how it can be so.

"Omni" is an undiscriminating word; it allows for no exceptions. By using these words one becomes indiscriminate.
  • God is not "omnipotent" for he is not able to force one to be faithful, or to believe him, or to trust him, or to be saved. Matthew 23:37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!
  • God is not "omnipresent" for he is not present in Satan, or in the unbeliever, or in idols. He is not present in trees, grass, sun, moon, or stars, unless one believes in pantheism. All these things his hands have made, but he is not in them. 1 Kings 19:11 And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the LORD. And, behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the LORD; but the LORD was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the LORD was not in the earthquake: 12 And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.
  • God is not "omniscient" for he does not know a way that he can make one choose salvation and life. Isaiah 30:15 For thus saith the Lord GOD, the Holy One of Israel; In returning and rest shall ye be saved; in quietness and in confidence shall be your strength: and ye would not. (More on this in the next post)
Saving faith is: believing God and accepting what he tells us, even when it crosses our view and our understanding, especially of him and his ways. Saving Faith is, believing God for what he tells us. It is not, believing what we want to believe.
  • God has revealed to us his knowledge, understanding, and judgement. We do not need to fabricate or guess.
  • God has revealed to us his presence, and we do not need to be on our own, alone.
  • God has revealed to us his ability, power, and might, and we do not need to be helpless.

Let us not believe what we want to believe about God, but let us believe God.

Shalom

Page 13 of 17 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 10:58 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!