HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,886 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Is The Character of God Being Misrepresented? #48225
03/11/06 11:59 AM
03/11/06 11:59 AM
Tammy Roesch  Offline OP
North East OHIO
quote:
This fear of death comes from viewing God in a way that is false, misrepresented, perverted. What Satan did was to represent God and his word with Satan’s own attributes of Character and thought. Thus he perverted what was a counsel into a threat.
The above quote was from Tom, from another thread.

I agree, Tom, that much of our misunderstandings of truth, is a result of having accepted a wrong understanding of the character of God. Therefore, it seems that one of the very most important studies we could begin would be to study the character of God. As I started this, this morning, and I came upon this quote:
quote:
“The coming of the bridegroom was at midnight--the darkest hour. So the coming of Christ will take place in the darkest period of this earth's history. The days of Noah and Lot pictured the condition of the world just before the coming of the Son of man. The Scriptures pointing forward to this time declare that Satan will work with all power and "with all deceivableness of unrighteousness." 2 Thess. 2:9, 10. His working is plainly revealed by the rapidly increasing darkness, the multitudinous errors, heresies, and delusions of these last days. Not only is Satan leading the world captive, but his deceptions are leavening the professed churches of our Lord Jesus Christ. The great apostasy will develop into darkness deep as midnight, impenetrable as sackcloth of hair. To God's people it will be a night of trial, a night of weeping, a night of persecution for the truth's sake. But out of that night of darkness God's light will shine. {COL 414.3}
He causes "the light to shine out of darkness." 2 Cor. 4:6. When "the earth was without form, and void, and darkness was upon the face of the deep," "the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God said, Let there be light; and there was light." Gen. 1: 2, 3. So in the night of spiritual darkness, God's word goes forth, "Let there be light." To His people He says, "Arise, shine; for thy light is come, and the glory of the Lord is risen upon thee." Isa. 60:1. {COL 415.1}
"Behold," says the Scripture, "the darkness shall cover the earth, and gross darkness the people; but the Lord shall arise upon thee, and His glory shall be seen upon thee." Isa. 60:2. {COL 415.2}
It is the darkness of misapprehension of God that is enshrouding the world. Men are losing their knowledge of His character. It has been misunderstood and misinterpreted. At this time a message from God is to be proclaimed, a message illuminating in its influence and saving in its power. His character is to be made known. Into the darkness of the world is to be shed the light of His glory, the light of His goodness, mercy, and truth. {COL 415.3}
This is the work outlined by the prophet Isaiah in the words, "O Jerusalem, that bringest good tidings, lift up thy voice with strength; lift it up, be not afraid; say unto the cities of Judah, Behold your God! Behold, the Lord God will come with strong hand, and His arm shall rule for Him; behold, His reward is with Him, and His work before Him." Isa. 40:9,10. {COL 415.4}
Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love. The children of God are to manifest His glory. In their own life and character they are to reveal what the grace of God has done for them. {COL 415.5}
The light of the Sun of Righteousness is to shine forth in good works--in words of truth and deeds of holiness. {COL 416.1}

Some points that really jumped out at me from this quote are:

1. We must be in just about the “darkest period of this earths history”, as it seems the coming of Jesus is right around the corner. And yet, we have all this wonderful technology, learning, etc. It isn’t like the Dark Ages of before…so what makes it so “dark”? It has to be the fact that even with all the knowledge available today, we have lost the knowledge of God’s character.

2. God’s character “has been misunderstood and misinterpreted.” Then she says, “At this time a message from God is to be proclaimed, a message illuminating in its influence and saving in its power. His character is to be made known.” I believe this is our commission…what an awesome responsibility we have…

3. This is the last message to be given to the world! But, do we really know what God’s character is like? How can we give this message, if we don’t really know it?

4. We are told that this misrepresentation of God’s character started in Heaven.
quote:
"He (Satan) sought to gain control of heavenly beings, to draw them away from their Creator, and to win their homage to himself. Therefore he misrepresented God. (DA 21).
5. Then we are told that,
quote:

“The Pharisees and the religious teachers so misrepresented the character of God that it was necessary for Christ to come to the world to represent the Father. Through the subtlety of Satan, men were led to charge upon God Satanic attributes.” (ST, August 20, 1894.)

History repeats itself….how do we know that the “Pharisees and the religious teachers” of our day, have not done the same thing as those of old did? I believe they have.

Re: Is The Character of God Being Misrepresented? #48226
03/12/06 04:31 AM
03/12/06 04:31 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Thanks Tammy for starting this topic. This is the controversy between good and evil; between Christ and Satan.
That statement you quoted was written by me, but Tom will be willing to own it too. [Smile]

Is it not rather a profound thought that so much; life or death; is constituted in knowing God. The Lord said:
Joh 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent. So the true knowledge of God is “life eternal”. It is easy to see then that, since Satan holds one in bondage through fear of death, his strength is in the false picture of God.

The point you raised in #4 is at the heart of the matter. That point would establish that what one perceives as God is actually Satan; and what one perceives as Satan is only a distraction.

I hope we will really open this subject.

2Co 4:6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

Re: Is The Character of God Being Misrepresented? #48227
03/11/06 08:30 PM
03/11/06 08:30 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I was quoting John in that quote. I agree with the sentiment.

Re: Is The Character of God Being Misrepresented? #48228
03/11/06 08:44 PM
03/11/06 08:44 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
This is my motivation for discussing two subjects I discuss a lot, which are the satisfaction theory of the atonement and the destruction of the wicked. I perceive that these ideas present God's character in a way which is diametrically opposed to how it is in truth, presnting Him to be one who is arbitrary, severe, and cruel.

What many call "justice" is in reality arbitrary creulty. God is neither arbitrary nor cruel. He will not torture those who have rebelled against Him in molten lava either for a few days or for all eternity. He doesn't need to torture His Son in order to forgive us.

quote:
It is Satan's constant effort to misrepresent the character of God, the nature of sin, and the real issues at stake in the great controversy. (GC 569)
What are the issues of the Great Controversy? How did it begin? What is it God is trying to accomplish? These are good questions to consider in relation to this topic.

Here's another good character of God quote:

quote:
The earth was dark through misapprehension of God. That the gloomy shadows might be lightened, that the world might be brought back to God, Satan's deceptive power was to be broken. This could not be done by force. The exercise of force is contrary to the principles of God's government; He desires only the service of love; and love cannot be commanded; it cannot be won by force or authority. Only by love is love awakened. To know God is to love Him; His character must be manifested in contrast to the character of Satan. This work only one Being in all the universe could do. Only He who knew the height and depth of the love of God could make it known. Upon the world's dark night the Sun of Righteousness must rise, "with healing in His wings." Mal. 4:2.

Re: Is The Character of God Being Misrepresented? #48229
03/11/06 11:07 PM
03/11/06 11:07 PM
Tammy Roesch  Offline OP
North East OHIO
Tom, have you ever read a book called, "Behold Your God", by Fred Wright? Some of the things you say, make me think perhapas you have...let me know...

Re: Is The Character of God Being Misrepresented? #48230
03/12/06 12:31 AM
03/12/06 12:31 AM
Tammy Roesch  Offline OP
North East OHIO
quote:
Thanks Tammy for starting this topic. This is the controversy between good and evil; between Christ and Satan.
That statement you quoted was written by me, but Tom will be willing to own it too.

Sorry I got you two mixed up... [Roll Eyes]

quote:
I hope we will really open this subject.
I hope we can, too. I believe it is very important....

I'm not sure we are coming from the same perspective...but...hopefully, with the help of the Holy Spirit, it will all fit together.

I think better in the morning, so don't want to get into it too much tonight. Al and I go to bed early, usually about 8, and we are up at 3:30. My mind is so much clearer in the morning... Have a good night!

Re: Is The Character of God Being Misrepresented? #48231
03/12/06 02:02 AM
03/12/06 02:02 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I believe the pendulum has swung the other way. The picture people are painting of God nowadays is one that portrays Him as too kind and loving to punish and destroy unsaved sinners in the lake of fire. It insists that God has never punished or destroyed anyone, that He merely ceased holding back the inevitable results of sin and sinning. I believe this idea is just as dangerous as the other end of the pendulum.

Re: Is The Character of God Being Misrepresented? #48232
03/12/06 02:33 AM
03/12/06 02:33 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, the following statement brings out the wicked will be destroyed by the inevitable results of sin:

quote:
At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. (DA 764)
Regarding God's destroying people, it is true that God will destroy the wicked:

quote:
The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked. (DA 106)
The thing to notice is that it is the same thing which gives life to the righteous that slays the wicked, not some arbitrary action on God's part. The same sun which melts the ice bakes the clay. What is the light of the glory of God? It is the revelation of the truth of His character. The wicked will not be able to bear this. However it will be life itself for the righteous, because to know God is life eternal.

Regarding the lake of fire, explain to me how you think this works. Well maybe I'll explain how I think you think it works, and you can correct me if I'm wrong.

God records the sin of each one in books. Each sin requires a certain amount of punishment, to be infliced by God upon the sinner, because God is just. God inflicted Christ with the necessary punishment, so that anyone who accepts Christ can avoid the punishment. Those who choose not to accept Christ must face the infliction of the punishment.

The punishment is to be case into a lake of fire, which is something akin to molten lava. There's a problem in that if one were to be cast into a lake of fire, one would die with a matter of seconds. I doubt any person could survive even 10 seconds. But some suffer for many days. So God must supernaturally keep them alive so that they can suffer the pain from the molten lava which they deserve because of their sins. God must thus punish them because He is just.

Is this an accurate representation of your view?

Re: Is The Character of God Being Misrepresented? #48233
03/12/06 05:11 AM
03/12/06 05:11 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
quote:
I believe the pendulum has swung the other way. The picture people are painting of God nowadays is one that portrays Him as too kind and loving to punish and destroy unsaved sinners in the lake of fire...I believe this idea is just as dangerous as the other end of the pendulum.
If it is just the pendulum swinging; oh well it will swing back and forth, and back and forth, and nothing really changes except the passing of time since everything still hangs on the same axis. God is mean; God is nice-nice; God is in-between. I don’t know why you should be concerned about pendulum swings anyway since they all rest on the same axis, and keep the clockwork going.

This, what we are talking about is enough to dismantle that clock forever. This is about the realization of where the problem and solution really is; where there is victory and growth. This has to do with eternal life vs. death; between righteousness and sin; and I hope you don’t see those as just a pendulum swing.

There is the sinner’s way of seeing God, which is sinful and false.
There is Christ’s way of seeing God, which is righteous and true.

And these are not pendulum swings.

Re: Is The Character of God Being Misrepresented? #48234
03/12/06 06:29 AM
03/12/06 06:29 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
What we are talking about is enough to dismantle that clock forever.
Cool.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!