HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 15
Rick H 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,868 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Guidelines For Keeping The Sabbath Holy #49150
10/11/03 03:17 AM
10/11/03 03:17 AM
Avalee  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
I was sent the following by email awhile back and thought others would like to read it also.

quote:
POSITIVE, PRACTICAL AND HELPFUL SUGGESTIONSAND GUIDELINES TO HELP YOU KEEP THE SABBATH HOLY

[From an old pamphlet see 6T: 356-368]

If thou turn away thy foot from the Sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the Sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honourable; and shalt honour Him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words: Then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it. Isaiah 58: 13, 14.

Merely resting is not keeping the Sabbath. Attendance at the services of the Lord s house does not constitute Sabbath keeping; we can do both of these and not keep the Sabbath; but to put away our things, including our thoughts and work, that we may enter into the thoughts of God, and renew our vows to do His will in all things this is Sabbath-keeping.

“The Christian’s Experience. Pg. 10, Julius Gilbert White”.

* House cleaning should be ended before sunset Friday.

* Cooking should be finished before sunset Friday so that it will only be necessary to warm up the food for eating on the Sabbath.

* All clothing and shoes to be worn for Sabbath should be prepared before sunset Friday and all washing and ironing should be avoided on God s holy time.

* Any gasoline needed for the car, as well as articles of food and other merchandise, should be purchased before sundown Friday.

* It would be best to take prep rational baths and showers before the Sabbath hours begin, thereby having more time Friday evening for personal Bible study or review.

* It would be well to lay aside and out of sight all secular books, magazines and newspapers. Also, your everyday secular mail should be read after and not during the Sabbath hours.

* Late Friday afternoon meals should be eaten and the kitchen cleaned up before Sabbath. Dishes and utensils that are used on Sabbath should be rinsed off and then washed thoroughly after the Sabbath hours.

* It would be well to have everything done and be ready for the Sabbath 30 minutes to an hour before the Sabbath.

* It is better to begin the evening worship before the Sabbath arrives than to wait until the Sabbath has begun.

* The Friday evening worship in your home should be brief a song or two, a short Scripture reading, and short prayers by all.

* On Friday evenings is a good time to review the Sabbath School lesson with all the family.

* It would be well for the family to retire early on Friday evenings in order to rise early on Sabbath morning.

* It would be well to let all secular radio and television programs wait until after the Sabbath hours.

* On Sabbath morning it would be excellent for every member of the household to have a brief personal worship before breakfast.

* Sabbath morning breakfast should be light.

* There should be special garments set aside specifically for Sabbath services. It would be well to avoid wearing the same common clothing you normally wear every day for work and other mundane activities.

* All members of the household should leave for the sacred house together when possible. It gives a sense of unity.

* As an aid to reverence in the sanctuary, it would be well for parents and children to all sit together. This is a good opportunity to train children on how to behave in church.

* We should avoid chewing gum or eating in the sanctuary.

* One s conversation, music and surroundings on God s day should be that which will direct the thoughts heavenward. (God s work, works, and word are the appropriate topics to dwell on, on God s holy time.)

* Sabbath afternoon meals should be attractive, well planned and tasty, but not an occasion for over-eating, over-indulgence.

* There is no sin in resting an hour or two on Sabbath afternoon. Disrespect to God lies in sleeping all Sabbath and refraining from worshipping at the house of God.

* Sabbath afternoons are excellent periods of time for youth and adults to go out into God s nature and meet Him there. Wonder in the glory, the love and the wisdom of God in the flowers and plant sand animals, and in all the works of His hands around you.

* If joy riding on the Sabbath is a problem with you, ask yourself is my joy riding contributing to my spiritual welfare and a betterment of my understanding of God s will for me on His day?

* Secular trips and vacations should be planned so as not to interfere with the holy Sabbath hours.

* Trips to the seashore or lakeside should not be occasions for such activities as swimming or horseplay; neither should a walkthrough a park or field be an excuse for playing games or kicking a ball. Such actions on the Sabbath do not honour God; neither do they lift thethoughts heavenward.

* Sabbath afternoons are excellent times to visit the sick, the jails, nursing homes, etc., and to give Bible studies.

* Although it is good to visit and give comfort and aid to the sick and shut-in on the Sabbath, this aid should consist of doing such personal things as bringing them a warm meal or giving them a simple health treatment. Menial tasks, such as cleaning or repairs, should be left for days other than on God s holy Sabbath day.

* On the Sabbath day it would be well for every Christian tospend one-half hour or more with his Bible getting better acquainted with the Creator of the Sabbath, Jesus Christ.

* Business transactions such as the payment of the rent or its collection, the payment of bills and other such matters, should wait until after the Sabbath hours are over.

* The studying of secular school lessons and all such school activities should be laid aside during the 24 hour Sabbath period.

* Picnics, gatherings, and other such social events, as well as the discussion of such, should wait until the Sabbath hours are over.

* Let your love affairs (admonition to the young and single) wait until after the Sabbath.

* Sabbath evening about 15 minutes to one-half hour before sunset, the family should be gathered for a short worship or vesper period, either in the home, or at the church. These worship or vesper periods should have a fitting song or two, short Scripture reading, and a few short prayers.

SUMMARY: Be happy and joyous on the Sabbath day! It's best to follow the principle to avoid doing or spending all of your time engaged in any one of the above items as all sleeping, all sitting in church, all staying out in nature, or all visiting the sick. Beloved, rejoice when the Sabbath day cometh!

This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24

Re: Guidelines For Keeping The Sabbath Holy #49151
10/10/03 06:32 PM
10/10/03 06:32 PM
S
Steve Claborn  Offline
Alabama
Wouldn't church attendance and the potluck afterwards constitute a "social gathering?" If the potluck is held outside on the church lawn, wouldn't that be a picnic?

Re: Guidelines For Keeping The Sabbath Holy #49152
10/10/03 08:13 PM
10/10/03 08:13 PM
Avalee  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
Hi Steve,

I guess it could be whatever you wanted it to be.

Re: Guidelines For Keeping The Sabbath Holy #49153
10/13/03 01:56 AM
10/13/03 01:56 AM
Cheri Fritz  Offline
Gloversville, NY, USA
Greetings Avalee,

I would like to share about keeping guidelines. In the past I followed all the rules, but something was missing. It troubled me that the Sabbath day was not a delight.

During my studies I found that I needed to daily pray in supplication before the Lord. What I further found was that I needed to pray for the Holy Spirit to guide me into all truth and learn how to be humbled. I needed to realize my condition. My condition was born the sinner that needs the good character of Christ placed on her.

It was difficult to find out that I was wrong because my heart was proud. But the Lord is great humbler if we are willing to have our hearts accept all truth.

Then with great delight I began having a day of rest rather than a day of law in obedience.

Also, found that God actually puts His laws in our minds and writes them in our hearts when we are His.

What a blessed God Amighty to make sure the way of salvation.

I encourage each one of you to pray daily with repentence and then convert to the will of the Father. And do not ever forget to ask for the Holy Spirit for He is the one that Christ sent to us to know all truth.

May the Lord lead and may we follow,
Sister Cheri

Re: Guidelines For Keeping The Sabbath Holy #49154
10/13/03 02:07 AM
10/13/03 02:07 AM
Cheri Fritz  Offline
Gloversville, NY, USA
Greetings Br. Steve,

Gathering together on the Sabbath day for fellowship during the lunch hour should not be a problem....

We must guard our conversations with those things which are about the Lord and His business.

If the "potluck" after church is used for sharing all about their financial and selfish delights of their weeks labor, then it is a social gathering.

Sister Cheri

Re: Guidelines For Keeping The Sabbath Holy #49155
10/13/03 02:59 PM
10/13/03 02:59 PM
Avalee  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
Amen Cheri..

If the things we do are not done from a love for God in our hearts they do not mean anything at all. Sabbath is a day of delight not a day for rules.

Whoever it was who wrote the above guidelines most likely wrote them maybe for new Sabbathkeepers to guide them. I know when I first became a Christian I did not now anything about keeping the Sabbath Holy. I would liked to have had something to guide me at first. Some ideas to read. I for one have never looked at any of God's commands as RULES...that just sounds so harsh don't you think? I look at them as what God has given us to give us a better and happier life with Him.

As far as potluck goes you are so right about the conversations we should have. I am sorry to say that there is alot of everyday talk done at them, however that can be done with or without a potluck. Whenever the ones I am around start to talk of everyday things I do my best to get the conversation back to spiritual things. Sometimes it works..sometimes it does not.

Re: Guidelines For Keeping The Sabbath Holy #49156
10/16/03 08:52 AM
10/16/03 08:52 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
quote:
Originally posted by Avalee:
Amen Cheri..

I for one have never looked at any of God's commands as RULES...that just sounds so harsh don't you think? I look at them as what God has given us to give us a better and happier life with Him.

Hi avalee,

I agree, the commandments of God are not RULES, someone told me that they should rather be translated, "will not" than "shall not", eg, they are promises, if you keep to me, you will not have other gods, take My name in vain, kill, etc.

The RULES in the list that start this thread on the other hand, thanks to it, I now know what a list of sabbath RULES looks like. Im sure the rabbis and pharisees of Jesus time would have thought it was a good start.

/Thomas

Re: Guidelines For Keeping The Sabbath Holy #49157
10/17/03 03:42 AM
10/17/03 03:42 AM
Avalee  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
quote:
Originally posted by västergötland:
[QUOTE]The RULES in the list that start this thread on the other hand, thanks to it, I now know what a list of sabbath RULES looks like. Im sure the rabbis and pharisees of Jesus time would have thought it was a good start.

/Thomas

What a strange thing to say....I do not see the word RULES anywhere...I do see Guidelines that are good for new Sabbathkeepers...and those of us who are not new..and there is nothing there that is so grievious is there? Which one of these hurts or makes anyone unhappy? If we love the Lord and His Sabbath as we like to say we do all these Guidelines will come from the heart of someone who wants to be ready to meet God at the appointed time....when the sun goes down on Friday night. It is so very sad to see that people are unhappy about being ready to meet the One and Only God.

Now if the the rabbis and pharisees had the love of the Sabbath in thier hearts like someone who wants to have everything ready BEFORE the Sabbath hour is here they would have surely been very happy and delighted in the Sabbath. But no...they did not. They had what you would call RULES. I can only think of a few but I know there are more. They tied their hankerchief onto their clothes so they would not be carrying a burden on the Sabbath Day....they counted out just how far you could walk on the Sabbath...now these are RULES. They do not even come close to the Guidelines posted...at least not in my heart. I for one want to have everything ready BEFORE the Sabbath in order to give ALL my time to God. Don't you?

I think any one truly wanting to be ready for the Sabbath hour by havaing everything ready for meeting God, can tell the difference between those kinds of RULES and what are very simple GUIDELINES to be done on PREPARATION DAY.

Mat 27:62 Now the next day, that followed the day of the preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate,

Mar 15:42 And now when the even was come, because it was the preparation, that is, the day before the sabbath,

Luk 23:54 And that day was the preparation, and the sabbath drew on

I wonder why it is called the preparation day?
Below is the very simple meaning of the word preparation in case someone does not know what it means to prepare ahead of time. [Heart] Notice the one I bolded...this is so simple. This is from a dictionary by the way....Really I did not make it up. [Big Grin]

quote:
prep·a·ra·tion ( P ) Pronunciation Key (prp-rshn)
n.
The act or process of preparing.

The state of having been made ready beforehand; readiness.

A preliminary measure that serves to make ready for something. Often used in the plural: preparations for the wedding.

Re: Guidelines For Keeping The Sabbath Holy #49158
10/17/03 02:15 AM
10/17/03 02:15 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally posted by Avalee:
What a strange thing to say....I do not see the word RULES anywhere...I do see Guidelines that are good for new Sabbathkeepers...

These are rules for the very simple reason that they try to tell you HOW you should be prepeared for and what you should or shouldnt do on sabbath, not just that you should be resting from labour as the bible do.

This RULE for instance tells you how you should do friday vespers, and that in a quite exact way, this doesnt look like a guideline or suggestion, it looks like a RULE "* The Friday evening worship in your home should be brief a song or two, a short Scripture reading, and short prayers by all."

and those of us who are not new..and there is nothing there that is so grievious is there? Which one of these hurts or makes anyone unhappy? If we love the Lord and His Sabbath as we like to say we do all these Guidelines will come from the heart of someone who wants to be ready to meet God at the appointed time....when the sun goes down on Friday night.

If someone in his or her heart feels that this is the best guide to how sabbath should be keept, then this person should follow it (let everyone be persuaded in his own mind as paul writes, right?), what this person should not do is to write down what this person feels is the right way to keep the sabbath and tell others to do likewise. God can teach every person who wants to know the appropriate way for this person, right? Why do I write "this person"? The reason for this is that I belive it to be possible that not everyone meets God by following the steps mentioned in the rule collection: #1 two songs, a short sermon and a short prayer on friday night, #2 one hour of biblestudy followed by a walk in the wild, followed by #3 another two songs with short sermon and short prayer just before sunset. One illustratin from my experience, a good way for me to meet God is to walk around in the park having a 1,5-2 hour conversation with Him. Now, there are many obvious and not so obvious reasons why this wouldnt work for everyone (like for instance the group of people that are unable to walk around in a forest or anywhere for 2 hours)

It is so very sad to see that people are unhappy about being ready to meet the One and Only God.

Now if the the rabbis and pharisees had the love of the Sabbath in thier hearts like someone who wants to have everything ready BEFORE the Sabbath hour is here they would have surely been very happy and delighted in the Sabbath.
...now these are RULES. They do not even come close to the Guidelines posted...at least not in my heart. I for one want to have everything ready BEFORE the Sabbath in order to give ALL my time to God. Don't you?

Interesting study on the word preparation and its implications, to bad it only applies to less than half of the points in the list. The other ones tell you how to behave on sabbath, not how to prepeare for it.

I think any one truly wanting to be ready for the Sabbath hour by havaing everything ready for meeting God, can tell the difference between those kinds of RULES and what are very simple GUIDELINES to be done on PREPARATION DAY.

And lastly, whats a sacred house anyway?
"* All members of the household should leave for the sacred house together when possible. It gives a sense of unity."
The author of this seems quite attached to the brick and wood that makes the building the church gathers in.

Re: Guidelines For Keeping The Sabbath Holy #49159
10/17/03 11:20 AM
10/17/03 11:20 AM
Avalee  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
This is so very very sad to see this from your heart...these GUIDELINES DO NOT say you have to do this or die. These are just simple GUIDELINES. I am so very very very sorry you feel like this towards being ready for God. I do not have sundown Vespers on Friday or Sabbath. Am I breaking a rule? No because there is not RULE to break. I am sorry but I have to tell you that you are being pretty silly here. These are just suggestions that someone long ago wrote up to guide people for being ready for the Sabbath. No where do they tell us we HAVE TO DO THESE THINGS. For some strange reason you want to turn this into something else and I am so sorry you feel that way. I have a suggestion NOT A RULE [Big Grin] .... Just ignore it. That way you can be happy in what every it is you want to do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!