HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,594
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 13
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, 2 invisible), 2,949 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15
Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49883
02/05/06 01:02 PM
02/05/06 01:02 PM
zyph  Offline
Dedicated Member
Australia
Pilgrim's Progress is allegorical, with the journey being the allegory part. The names of the characters and situations are not veiled, and are things every Christian encounters. There is no way to enjoy this as a novel. The only way to truly enjoy this work is from the point of view of a practising Christian. It is not a ripping good yarn. In fact, it's really pretty tame by itself. As Mrs White said, getting excited by fictional stories interferes with one's ability to concentrate on things of scripture. She also said people would be as addicted to reading exciting novels as they would to drink. Addicts regularly defend their behaviour, justifying it and denying there is any problem. I believe someone who wants to follow Jesus askd how far from the edge they can go, not how close to the edge before they risk toppling over. I wonder if there is a punishment reserved for us if we "put the cup to the lip" of those who then become addicted to exciting novels? There is an abundance of wonder in nature, great bible stories, lots of little lessons to be learned by children that don't involve electronic media. Give them a taste for that which is not artificial. Narnia is a science fiction story.

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49884
02/05/06 01:26 PM
02/05/06 01:26 PM
Redfog  Offline OP
Michigan, USA
Zyph have you ever read one of the Chronicles? If you did you would realize they are not science fiction. Fiction yes. Maybe some would consider them fairy tale/fantesy in nature but there is no science in them at all. They are set in a very technically backward world.

Now maybe for some they are just a good yarn. For me they were much more than that, they opened my eyes to certain aspects of Christianity that I'd not seen before, or at least had not fully considered. Are they for everybody? Likely not. For a small child or those not well versed in Christian principles they would just be a tale to read, rather like the Hobbit or some other work of fantasy, however for any discerning Christian the parallels with Christianity are not only obvious but prominent through out the whole series.

If a person choose to not read them that's fine. I do not believe they should ever be in a Christian school libary. The choice should be left up to a parent or, if a young adult, to the person themselves to read or not to read. I first read them in my 20's and was thankful I did. And once again I'll say they should never ever take the place of the Bible or SOP, however like most books that teach Christian principles I feel that they have their place in some homes.

Redfog

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49885
05/01/06 06:44 PM
05/01/06 06:44 PM
K
Kay Sullivan  Offline
Posting New Member
Mt.Home NC
To me there is no point in teaching the plan of salvation by way of witches and mystical nonsense.

Whatever happened to the plain "Thus saith the Lord?"

Since when are movies necessary anyway?

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49886
05/04/06 12:24 AM
05/04/06 12:24 AM
D
D R  Offline
Charter Member
SDA
Active Member 2020

East Coast Canada
...meanwhile, back at "Little house on the Prairie"...

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49887
06/02/06 11:45 PM
06/02/06 11:45 PM
Avalee  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
....Meanwhile back to God and His true Words to us:

Quote:

There is another class of books--love stories and frivolous, exciting tales--which are a curse to everyone who reads them, even though the author may attach a good moral. Often religious statements are woven all through these books, but in most cases Satan is but clothed in angel robes to deceive and allure the unsuspicious. The practice of story reading is one of the means employed by Satan to destroy souls. It produces a false, unhealthy excitement, fevers the imagination, unfits the mind for usefulness, and disqualifies it for any spiritual exercise. It weans the soul from prayer and from the love of spiritual things.

The above words are taken from:

Chap. 15 - What Shall Our Children Read?
Councils to Parents, Teachers, and Students
Page 132-135

Praise God for His Word to us to warn us about books like Chronicles of Narnia. Amen

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49888
06/03/06 10:15 PM
06/03/06 10:15 PM
Redfog  Offline OP
Michigan, USA
I've always found it a little amusing, and sad, that there are those within the SDA church who will not set foot in a movie theater but will gleefully watch prime time on TV for two or three hours every single night. They will schedule things around "their shows", discuss plots with others etc but won't be caught dead in a public theater. The same movie is fine to be showed at a church school, academy or home but it's wrong to see it at a theater? How much more hypocritical can we get?

Redfog

If at first you don't succeed.....destroy all evidence you ever tried.
Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49889
06/10/06 08:47 PM
06/10/06 08:47 PM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
I seem to remember that EGW liked the tails of King Arthur. Now there was a King Arthur, but I highly doubt the true story was anything like the myths. I believe she even had a fire place with depictions of the stories around it for the last 15 years of her life. It seems an odd thing to have if we are to avoid all fiction.

As for theaters, I like to have the luxury of having the ability to turn off the programming. I am shocked at some of the filth that is slipped into movies that are rated G here in America. I am not in control of what is presented on a screen in a theater, although I could walk out but that is a huge waste of money, but I do control what appears on the screen in my house. I am not trying to pass judgment here; I am only saying I need to have control and not someone else.

Oh Happy Day!
Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49890
06/13/06 03:21 AM
06/13/06 03:21 AM
D
D R  Offline
Charter Member
SDA
Active Member 2020

East Coast Canada
It would be wise then to avoid and do not read or listen to the "stories" that George W Bush is spreading around the world, he is a modern day King of Fiction!

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49891
06/15/06 12:20 AM
06/15/06 12:20 AM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
I made a couple posts closer to the beginning that mildly endorsed the Tales of Narnia. You're posts Avalee and Zyph are leaning me towards your view. I borrowed and watched the first of the Lord of the Rings trilogy last week. One reason I did was because I know Tolkien (sp?) was a good friend of Lewis. It convinced me that the good elements of the plot and the breathtaking scenery don't compensate for the toll the movie exacts on your imagination. The movie was full of violence. Lewis' material is not as objectionable, but I can certainly see why parents would want to think twice about giving the books to their kids. Of course if the kids are already reading and watching things that are lower in value then Lewis is an improvement, but shouldn't we be giving out kids nothing but the best?

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49892
06/15/06 12:05 PM
06/15/06 12:05 PM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
I wonder if this applies here?

Quote:

You guide the people, but you are blind! You are like a person who picks a fly out of a drink and then swallows a camel!
Matthew 23:24 NCV

If we do not like Narnia, I am sure that Lewis wrote other books that all Adventists could appreciate. I find that his writing is a lot better than many of the Adventist authors we have today.

I would also not recommend judging Lewis' work by those who kept company with him. Judas Iscariot kept company with Jesus, but that did not lesson the effect of Jesus' ministry.

Oh Happy Day!
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!