HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,850 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Life lists #53323
12/18/01 01:34 AM
12/18/01 01:34 AM
B
BELLE  Offline OP
Posting New Member
Canada
I added a new bird to my life list today. I didn't find anyone to tell about it. (although you can be sure I WILL). Then when I got home and checked my mail Darrell suggested I return to Maritime like the prodigal and see what's on.

So I jumped at the opportunity to tell you about the greater black backed tern I saw with the herring gulls this morning.

I have seen a single tern in late summer before and maybe this was one of them, but today I had the opportunity to identify this one. All the other times they were flying and I didn't have my book handy.

There is a bridge we cross going to work with lights on it. Often there will be a gull standing on each one and I look for them when we pass by. I call it Gull Hotel and sometimes I'll mention there is a vacancy or not. So today there was this larger gull-like bird but black on it's back. Luckily I had the book beside me and identified it quickly. Probably you maritimers see terns all the time and it won't impress you.

Re: Life lists #53324
12/18/01 07:29 AM
12/18/01 07:29 AM
Zita  Offline
Christchurch, New Zealand
Belle, welcome to our lovely site. Glad for your contribution here.
I am on hold at the moment with posting a lot as I have broken my wrist and in plaster for 6 weeks.

So I welcome anyone who cares to post here or on the nature site.
For my birthday I was given a neat book about Canterbury, and I look forward to sharing it.

I loved your post Belle, thanks, and welcome back!

Re: Life lists #53325
12/30/01 12:50 AM
12/30/01 12:50 AM
zyph  Offline
Dedicated Member
Australia
Zita, you poor thing! I wish you a speedy recovery, and I hope you aren't in too much pain.

BELLE, I think terns are interesting birds. I'm not good at the official identification of birds, and I have no idea if the g. black-backed one ever graces our waters, but I have lived close to the sea at times, and there have been all sorts of fascinating avian visitors.

Your description of the bridge made me laugh. I was driving across a long bridge in my city - a fair distance away, and near a coastal suburb. I thought they'd decorated the lamp posts with statues, until one of them preened itself! Every lamp post had a great big pelican perched neatly on it!

Your post has reminded me that last week I saw a new bird in my front yard. There were two, actually. They were just a bit smaller than a pigeon, had greenish-grey wings, a grey underbelly, and splashes of red over their eyes and cheeks. They were plucking and eating the petals off the flowers on some sort of native fig tree I have growing. Other birds do this, too. It must be the means of pollinating it, because it doesn't harm the fruit. I've never seen birds eat petals before I moved here. I'll try to find out what these birds were, as I've never seen them before, and they were very talky, busy creatures that attracted my attention. It IS exciting when you see a creature new to you or your area, isn't it?

Re: Life lists #53326
12/31/01 09:00 AM
12/31/01 09:00 AM
Zita  Offline
Hi Zyph, pleased to report the pain is starting to lesson now. Another week and it will be greatly improved. Would have been a lot better not waiting 15 hours before it was set - the doctor I saw didn't think it needed setting simply because he couldn't read an xray.

I was walking the dogs 7am this morning whem I came upon a blackbird huddled on a berm. I told my dogs to 'sit', and approached it. As it tried to run I realized it had a problem with a leg. I was able to scoop it up with one hand and put it in the plastic shopping bag I was carrying, turn tail and walk back home, scoping up a plum that the birds had been eating.Installed in the spare cage, it did enjoy the plum until I took it to the Animal and Bird Hospital on the way to get my cast changed.
Wonderful to be able to rescue it, as I had made other plans for my morning walk that didn't work out.

On our Estuary we have Caspian terns from down the bottom of the Island.

I loved the description of the birds you saw, sound real pretty.

Thanks for your good wishes. I don't recommend pulling the hose backwards,gets one into unexpected trouble!

Re: Life lists #53327
01/01/02 03:34 AM
01/01/02 03:34 AM
zyph  Offline
Dedicated Member
Australia
No speak New Zealandish. What's a berm?

Re: Life lists #53328
01/04/02 08:33 AM
01/04/02 08:33 AM
Zita  Offline
A berm is the strip of grass along the footpath 8 ft wide and the length of your frontage, which is owned by the City Council, but for which the owner of the property is expected to maintain.
It very often has a tree planted on it. We have a very large flowering cherry tree, magnificent in October.

Re: Life lists #53329
01/04/02 10:51 AM
01/04/02 10:51 AM
zyph  Offline
Dedicated Member
Australia
Oh, a nature strip! I thought it must be a gnarled branch or something. But you DO call them JANDALS, so New Zealandspeak is different. God allowed you one of the most beautiful countries on earth, so to balance it, you talk funny! (lol - just joking) Zita, I hope your arm continues to mend swiftly. I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts.

Re: Life lists #53330
01/04/02 03:11 PM
01/04/02 03:11 PM
Amelia  Offline
Portland,Oregon USA
quote:
A berm is the strip of grass along the footpath 8 ft wide and the length of your frontage, which is owned by the City Council, but for which the owner of the property is expected to maintain.
It very often has a tree planted on it

Here in my part of states its called a median strip. Handled the same way as in NZ. It never fails that you plant something beautiful there and along comes the city, tearing it up for a sewer project. So most homeowners just leave it grassy.

Amelia

Re: Life lists #53331
01/04/02 11:32 PM
01/04/02 11:32 PM
zyph  Offline
Dedicated Member
Australia
Amelia, There is so much planted on our neighbourhood median strips that in some places the footpaths are impassable! On mine, I have a paw-paw (papaya) tree - a prolific bearer, though passers-by and flying foxes are the usual beneficiaries! There are three native trees - all flowering. There are two stands of a breed of aloe vera that are many decades old, according to my landlord. There used to be lavender, and even sweet potatoes growing there! But it was untidy and like a jungle, so I had to clear a lot out. The lavender died of thirst.

Re: Life lists #53332
01/05/02 09:02 AM
01/05/02 09:02 AM
Zita  Offline
Now, instead of grass, in some areas the Council are planting in native grasses, or groundcover roses. Sure beats getting the lawn mower out.

Under my tree I built a rockery and planted grasses and suculents.No more weeding.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!