HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,795 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
What is the full meaning of communion? #7945
05/01/01 11:29 PM
05/01/01 11:29 PM
Sarah Moss  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
I'd like us to really dig deep and find out the whole meaning of what communion is and what it stands for. I found something out that I will post later, once I have heard from others - have to see if I am the only one to make the connection!

------------------
Sarah Moss
*Prayer Changes Things!*

Re: What is the full meaning of communion? #7946
05/03/01 06:16 PM
05/03/01 06:16 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Great question. To be honest, I have a hard time with communion. I appreciate reality and symbolism tends to get lost on me. I can get a blessing meditating on Jesus' life, death, burial and resurrection without going through the ritual of communion. And more often than not the foot washing and the bread and the juice make it harder for me to focus on Jesus.

Can anyone else relate? Does anyone have suggestions to help me get a blessing out of the service itself?

Re: What is the full meaning of communion? #7947
05/03/01 07:54 PM
05/03/01 07:54 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
For a person who administered the communion service several times as the pastor in our own local church, I would like you to expand further on what you posted here.

Daryl

[This message has been edited by Daryl Fawcett (edited May 03, 2001).]

Re: What is the full meaning of communion? #7948
05/04/01 09:55 PM
05/04/01 09:55 PM
Sarah Moss  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
I know this is the Bible Study topic room, but I want to direct you to the Desire of Ages, pp. 384-386 and especially p. 386, para. 2.

Deut. 8:3 and Jer. 15:16 also direct our thoughts in the direction mine have taken. I could, of course, tell you where my thoughts have gone, but I would love some discussion about it before doing so, and I would like to know if others will also draw this conclusion before sharing mine and influencing the thought patterns. Just so you know why I am not posting all my thoughts just yet.

------------------
Sarah Moss
*Prayer Changes Things!*

Re: What is the full meaning of communion? #7949
06/19/01 08:36 PM
06/19/01 08:36 PM
F
frenchmon  Offline
Posting New Member
???
6And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body. 27And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it; 28For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. 29But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.
The King James Version,

The bread and wine of communion represents the blood and body of our Lord Jesus who was sacrificed for us upon Calvery.

To partake of this most holy service is to understand that we have one who died for us as our "Passover Lamb" who is saving us from our sins, and that His life is an offering for our sinful life and that we have enterd into the New covenant with God.

Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him. As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me. This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live for ever. (John 6:53-59)

To feast on Jesus is to obey His commands with loving obedience, why??? Because He is our Passover Lamb who first Loved us...

...--frenchmon

[This message has been edited by frenchmon (edited June 19, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by frenchmon (edited June 19, 2001).]

Re: What is the full meaning of communion? #7950
06/26/01 05:46 PM
06/26/01 05:46 PM
L
lisa  Offline
gwinn mich U.S.A.
Thank you Sarrah for this discussion. I recently had a wonderfull experience with my 8yr old daughter at a communion. I alloud her to take the bread and juice. I know where her heart stands with Jesus and I know that she did and does not think of it as "snack". she even was witnessing durring communion to a little friend next to her, way better than I would have. It melted my heart. One of those proud mommy moments. I was told afterword though that in order to take of communion, you need to be babtized. not necessarily a sda, just babtized. Now if that was the case, I think we are hypacritical in inviting people to a completly open communion. I understand that the ceramoney should not be split up, like wash feet but don't take the bread and juice or visa versa, but it really left hard feelings. with me at least. I do not want to have communion in this church anymore. by that I mean my home church. I really feel that people have no right to say who can and cannot have communion with an invitation that clearly states before hand that we as sda's have open communion. wasn't it Paul who wrote something about if you do this do it in rememberance of God and have a good heart and concience otherwise you do it to your own dambnation?

Re: What is the full meaning of communion? #7951
06/26/01 08:44 PM
06/26/01 08:44 PM
F
frenchmon  Offline
Posting New Member
???
Lisa...sorry to read about your problems at church over communion...

My wife and I had a meaningful discussion about communnion about this very thing... if it should be an open service or not...I myself think this service should be closed... that we need to be as whatchman over the importance of this sacrament.

We need to sort of know the people who take part in this, and those we don't know we need to ask them to give a testimony of their faith (privatly) in Christ before the service starts...

The bible says those who do this in an unworthy manner do this to their death, that many are sick for this same reason.

While I don't think you were out of line for letting you daughter take communion, many have no idea how important this service is. Please Lisa...let me encourage you to continue to fellowship and have communion at your SDA church and not let those whom have the wrong idea to chase you off...this is what the enemy of our souls would like...to divide us and discourage us out of the fellowship of the brethern...

Blessings to you and yours...--frenchmon

Re: What is the full meaning of communion? #7952
06/27/01 12:35 PM
06/27/01 12:35 PM
L
lisa  Offline
gwinn mich U.S.A.
Frenchmon, Thanks for the incouragement. I have no intention of leaving the church, just not partaking in communion at my church. I however do disagree with the theory of hearing someones testamony privatly, that goes into the area of judgement. we are called to give an account of ourselfs to God not anyone else. However, we do need to somehow let people know in a loving manor that we are called to give account and if we do so honestly and partake of this ceramony we will gain a special blessing and if we are not honest and partake of this we do so to our damnation. and then extent the invatation. As my daughter understands Jesus and what he did for us is truly something amazing for her age, and I have seen a change in her since she took part in the half ceramony, I do so want to wash her feet also and believe that it would help to set deeper our beliefe and knowledge in our Savior for her in a world that is getting more horrible by the minute.

Re: What is the full meaning of communion? #7953
06/27/01 08:35 PM
06/27/01 08:35 PM
F
frenchmon  Offline
Posting New Member
???
Hi Lisa...

You said:

"I however do disagree with the theory of hearing someones testamony privatly, that goes into the area of judgement. "

Lisa...The bible calls us to be as watchmen...there are many examples in the bible of this. Therefore we must ask in order to be as watchmen over what is holy, and communion is a holy sacrament for the believer in Christ. We need not know the personal history of strangers...only if they are in good standing with God through Jesus our Lord...After this, we have done our part and no blood is on us but the other person if he mis-uses the communion service.

As to your claim of passing judgment...the bible tells us we can know them by the fruit they bear...not that we are reading the heart, which would be judgment, but we see and hear the testimony of the person...you yourself said:

". I know where her heart stands with Jesus and I know that she did and does not think of it as "snack".

You did not pass judgment by claiming to know the motive of her heart but only saw the fruit of her heart...

Yes we are all accountable to God, but we also must be accountable for the things of God...

blessings Lisa...--frenchmon

Re: What is the full meaning of communion? #7954
06/28/01 01:45 AM
06/28/01 01:45 AM
L
lisa  Offline
gwinn mich U.S.A.
Frenchmon, I agree with the thought behind your idea, But I can also see the potential danger in that. Like if you feel your heart is right with the Lord and you have all kinds of good works, but if God see's something that we miss, and we say o.k. you can take communion with us, and they really are not in the right place with the Lord, do we or the person who said it was allright have to answer for that to God? or how about if there newer with the Lord, and they don't have much to show, and we say I'm sorry, But they really are able in Gods eyes to take communion, are we held responsable for that? You know it can be a very touchy thing. I agree with the theory, but the reality gets complicated. You know about not talking about something in anothers eye when you have a log in yours. and what about not allowing the right know what the left is doing? Me It has allways been a dream of mine to have communion with a husband I can call mine.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!