HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,186 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 51 1 2 3 4 5 6 50 51
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. #79658
10/08/06 12:59 AM
10/08/06 12:59 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Mark, I believe everyone is born again perfect. Jesus implants within us the sinless seed of the mind and heart of the new man - which comes complete with all the fruit and righteous traits and attributes of God's character. Not one is missing.

In the same way Jesus began perfect and became perfect, so, too, every "truly" born again believer begins perfect and becomes perfect. Again, "perfecting holiness" is what we do as we walk in the Spirit and mind of the new man, as we daily abide in Jesus.

In Christ we are perfect. Now. Period. It's not something we ourselves "achieve" after years of trying real hard. It is a gift we receive the instant we complete the process of conversion, the moment we experience the miracle of rebirth, the second Jesus implants within us the mind and heart of the new man.

Washing our robes in the blood of the Lamb is a metaphor that means we are maturing daily in the fruits of the Spirit in exactly the same way Jesus grew and matured from childhood to manhood. I do not believe it means we gradually outgrow our more stubborn defective traits of character.

But there is the matter of the differences between instinctive knowledge and acquired knowledge - what I refer to as moral and mental perfection.

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. #79659
10/08/06 06:00 AM
10/08/06 06:00 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Mark, the law is useful insofar as it points us to Christ, but it would be a gross misunderstanding of her writings to suggest that she is making the law equal in importance to Christ. As John put it, the law came through Moses; grace and truth came to us through Jesus Christ.

The law is a transcript of God's character, but that's all it is -- a transcript. Jesus Christ is God Himself in human flesh; a real live being.

Jesus admonished the Jews, "You search the Scriptures because you think you have eternal life in them, but they are they which testify of Me."

The sacrifice of Christ as an atonement for sin is the great truth around which all other truths cluster. In order to be rightly understood and appreciated, every truth in the word of God, from Genesis to Revelation, must be studied in the light that streams from the cross of Calvary.

The law is made clear in Christ. We should study the law as it is in Christ. Apart from Christ, we can't possibly understand it.

To meditate upon the law should not be understand as a separate venture from meditating upon the life of Christ. It's not as if the law is one important thing, and Christ another.

Christ is all in all. *All* that can be know of God was revealed in Christ.

All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son. (8T 286)

Since *all* that we can know about God was revealed in Christ, it would certainly be a big mistake to think that we need to, or should, study God outside of Him.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. #79660
10/08/06 06:11 AM
10/08/06 06:11 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I was intrigued with your use of the phrase "borrowed righteousness." "Borrow" means "to receive with the implied or expressed intention of returning the same or an equivalent."

I'm not aware of any inspired reference from Scripture or the Spirit of Prophecy which expresses the idea that our righteousness is borrowed.

I think what you really mean is that our rightouesness is not of ourselves.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. #79661
10/08/06 06:18 AM
10/08/06 06:18 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

But Christ has given us no assurance that to attain perfection of character is an easy matter. A noble, all-round character is not inherited. It does not come to us by accident. A noble character is earned by individual effort through the merits and grace of Christ. God gives the talents, the powers of the mind; we form the character. It is formed by hard, stern battles with self. Conflict after conflict must be waged against hereditary tendencies. We shall have to criticize ourselves closely, and allow not one unfavorable trait to remain uncorrected. (COL 331)

This certainly doesn't sound like what you're saying, MM.

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. #79662
10/08/06 11:54 AM
10/08/06 11:54 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
It works both ways Tom. The law and the prophets testify of Christ, and Christ testifies of the law and the prophets. Christ constantly referred readers to the OT. It's true that of the two, Christ is the more complete revelation. Christ came though to 'magnify the law'. In the life of Christ the law is magnified. So we have the admonition to make a careful study of it. I urge all readers to start at Exodus 20 and read to the end and then read the entire book of Deuteronomy. You can't help but be charmed by the gracious and just character of God who repeatedly makes every provision for the weak and less fortunate, the widow, orphan and stranger, but who will by no means clear the guilty.

Anyone who suggests that God does not attach penalties to transgression and enforce the law personally does the opposite of magnifying the law, diminishing its immutability and importance. Christ's teaching in this regard is plain.

Regarding borrowed righteousness, haven't you read the phrase, "The Lord our Righteousness"? The first EGW quote on the thread that I posted also contains the phrase 'borrowed goodness'.

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. #79663
10/08/06 02:58 PM
10/08/06 02:58 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Hmm. . . I must have quoted that statement from Ellen White on another thread. Here is the one I meant -
Quote:

He tells us to be perfect as He is, in the same manner. We are to be centers of light and blessing to our little circle, even as He is to the universe. We have nothing of ourselves, but the light of His love shines upon us, and we are to reflect its brightness. "In His borrowed goodness good," we may be perfect in our sphere, even as God is perfect in His.

Jesus said, Be perfect as your Father is perfect. If you are the children of God you are partakers of His nature, and you cannot but be like Him. TMB 77 and 78.

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. #79664
10/08/06 05:44 PM
10/08/06 05:44 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
In the phrase you mentioned, "In His borrowed goodness good" EGW is quoting something it seems, since she put it in quotes. I don't know what she is referring to. I don't think she was intending to make a theological comment about it, do you? It looks like a quote of a poem. Certainly there is the idea that we are not good of ourselves, but I was asking about the "borrowed righteousness" idea you expressed. I'm not familiar with this concept.

We read, "God so loved the world that He gave His only Son" not "God so loved the world that He lent His only Son." The Lord is our righteousness because He was given to us, not lent to us.

Do you mean anything from the phrase "borrowed righteousness" other than simply that we have no inherent or innate righteousness? I did do a search in EGW's writings, and couldn't find her express this idea anywhere.

I agree that God's gracious character comes out despite all the fog in the O.T. However it's difficult to make sense of. Many see God as advocating genocide. It's much clearer to see God's true character by studying the life of Christ, IMO. Incomparably so. *All* that we can know about God was revealed in Christ. You can't get any clearer than that!

Regarding penalties being attached to the law, I think this comes from viewing the law as something arbitrary and the punishments for breaking it as arbitrary. But if instead we view the law as a hedge to protect us from the effects of breaking it, then we do not need to view it in an arbitrary way.

For example, there is a law against committing adultery. Can anything good come from committing adultery? Broken families and hearts; children raised without a happy home, without both parents; how can anything but misery result? Does God really need to attach an artificial penalty on top of this? It's hard to see that He does.

Rather the law was designed to protect against the misery that would surely follow from breaking it. For example, for a young child you might have a law which is, "Do not cross the street without Mommy or Daddy." Why the law? Because the child could be injured or killed, not understanding the danger of cars. There could even be an artificial penalty ascribed to is, such as spanking, until the child comes of age and can see the wisdom in the law. But the law only exists as a means to protect against the results of breaking it, which have nothing to do with the artificial penalty imposed, which is simply an accomodation to the child's immaturity. The real penatly for breaking the law comes from being hit from a car. Similarly the realy penalty for adultery is the misery which comes upon all those who are in the wake of its influence. Adultery is not bad because of some imposed action on God's part.

So far from making arbitrary requirements, God's law is given to men as a hedge, a shield. Whoever accepts its principles is preserved from evil. Fidelity to God involves fidelity to man. Thus the law guards the rights, the individuality, of every human being. It restrains the superior from oppression, and the subordinate from disobedience. It ensures man's well-being, both for this world and for the world to come. To the obedient it is the pledge of eternal life, for it expresses the principles that endure forever. (Ed 76)

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. #79665
10/09/06 11:55 AM
10/09/06 11:55 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:

In the phrase you mentioned, "In His borrowed goodness good" EGW is quoting something it seems, since she put it in quotes. I don't know what she is referring to. I don't think she was intending to make a theological comment about it, do you? It looks like a quote of a poem. Certainly there is the idea that we are not good of ourselves, but I was asking about the "borrowed righteousness" idea you expressed. I'm not familiar with this concept.

The phrase is from a poem:

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Andrew_Rykman's_Prayer

But the concept comes from much before, from the Reformers, who looked outside themselves for righteousness that inheres in their Substitute:

“For in this work [belief in the Savior] all good works exist, and from faith these works receive a borrowed goodness.” LW 44:24

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. #79666
10/09/06 03:02 PM
10/09/06 03:02 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Thanks for taking the time to look that up Rosangela.

Tom, you don't understand what she is referring to by 'borrowed goodness'? The sentence before in the quote says that we are to reflect the light of God to others. The light is not ours. In doing good we are reflecting His goodness. Our righteousness is borrowed in a real sense. The moon and planets that have no light of their own, yet next to the sun are the brightest objects in the sky.

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. #79667
10/09/06 05:54 PM
10/09/06 05:54 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Quote:

Quote:

But Christ has given us no assurance that to attain perfection of character is an easy matter. A noble, all-round character is not inherited. It does not come to us by accident. A noble character is earned by individual effort through the merits and grace of Christ. God gives the talents, the powers of the mind; we form the character. It is formed by hard, stern battles with self. Conflict after conflict must be waged against hereditary tendencies. We shall have to criticize ourselves closely, and allow not one unfavorable trait to remain uncorrected. (COL 331)

This certainly doesn't sound like what you're saying, MM.

Tom, please understand that I am making a distinction between Jesus' implanted "traits" of character and developing them into "character" thereafter. Do you see the difference?

DA 676
When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing. {DA 676.4}

COL 330
All righteous attributes of character dwell in God as a perfect, harmonious whole, and every one who receives Christ as a personal Saviour is privileged to possess these attributes. {COL 330.2}

COL 98, 99
New thoughts, new feelings, new motives, are implanted. ... We are endowed with traits of character that enable us to do service for God. {COL 98.3}

TDG 186
The heart must be cleansed from all impurity, man must be fitted with traits of character that will enable him to do service for God in any line. ... New thoughts, new feelings, new motives are implanted. {TDG 186.1}

Page 4 of 51 1 2 3 4 5 6 50 51

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!