HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,566
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 11
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, Daryl, dedication, 3 invisible), 2,160 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Characteristics of true revival and reformation #80409
10/28/06 05:16 PM
10/28/06 05:16 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Below are some quotes from Ellen White on revival. Notice the last one especially and how she describes the best revival she had seen up until that time.

I have been deeply impressed by scenes that have recently passed before me in the night season. There seemed to be a great movement--a work of revival--going forward in many places. Our people were moving into line, responding to God's call.--General Conference Bulletin, May 29, 1913, p. 34. {ChS 42.3}

When churches are revived, it is because some individual seeks earnestly for the blessing of God. He hungers and thirsts after God, and asks in faith, and receives accordingly. He goes to work in earnest, feeling his great dependence upon the Lord, and souls are aroused to seek for a like blessing, and a season of refreshing falls on the hearts of men. The extensive work will not be neglected. The larger plans will be laid at the right time; but personal, individual effort and interest for your friends and neighbors, will accomplish much more than can be estimated. It is for the want of this kind of labor that souls for whom Christ died are perishing. {ChS 121.1}

If the lay members of the church will arouse to do the work that they can do, going on a warfare at their own charges, each seeing how much he can accomplish in winning souls to Jesus, we shall see many leaving the ranks of Satan to stand under the banner of Christ. If our people will act upon the light that is given in these few words of instruction, we shall surely see of the salvation of God. Wonderful revivals will follow. Sinners will be converted, and many souls will be added to the church.--Testimonies, vol. 8, p. 246. {ChS 184.1}

A wrong conception of the character, the perpetuity, and the obligation of the divine law, has led to errors in relation to conversion and sanctification, and has resulted in lowering the standard of piety in the church. Here is to be found the secret of the lack of the Spirit and power of God in the revivals of our time. . . . {FLB 326.4}

Before the final visitation of God's judgments upon the earth there will be among the people of the Lord such a revival of primitive godliness as has not been witnessed since apostolic times. . . . The enemy of souls desires to hinder this work, and before the time for such a movement shall come, he will endeavor to prevent it by introducing a counterfeit. In those churches which he can bring under his deceptive power, he will make it appear that God's special blessing is poured out; there will be manifest what is thought to be great religious interest. . . . {LDE 158.2}

In setting aside the claims of the law of God, the church has lost sight of the blessings of the gospel. Bible conversion and sanctification,--a radical change of heart and transformation of character,--is the great need of the churches of today. Revivals in which men become members of the church without real conviction of sin, without repentance, and without acknowledging the claims of the law of God, are a cause of weakness to the church, and an occasion of stumbling to the world. {4SP 306.1}

"The interest awakened by his lectures is of the most deliberate and dispassionate kind; though this is the greatest revival I ever saw, yet there is the least passionate excitement about it. It seems to take a deep hold on the main part of the community. What produces the effect is this: Bro. Miller simply takes the sword of the Spirit, unsheathed, and lays its sharp edge on the naked heart, and it cuts; that is all. Before the edge of this mighty weapon, infidelity falls and Universalism withers; false foundations vanish, and Babel's merchants wonder. It seems to me that this must be a little the nearest to apostolic revivals of anything that modern times have witnessed." {RH, November 25, 1884 par. 14}

I have never seen a revival work go forward with such thoroughness, and yet remain so free from all undue excitement. [She is referring to the revival that occurred among Adventists at South Lancaster, Massachusetts, at meetings that started Thursday, January 10, 1889 and lasted about two weeks.] There was no urging or inviting. The people were not called forward, but there was a solemn realization that Christ came not to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance. {3BIO 427.3}
The honest in heart were ready to confess their sins, and to bring forth fruit to God by repentance and restoration, as far as it lay in their power. We seemed to breathe in the very atmosphere of heaven. Angels were indeed hovering around. {3BIO 427.4}

Reply Quote
Re: Characteristics of true revival and reformation [Re: Charity] #80410
10/28/06 05:51 PM
10/28/06 05:51 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
I should clarify that the second to last quote was written by one of William Miller's contemporaries, not Ellen White. Ellen White witnessed Miller's preaching and took part in that movement. But her last quote describes a revival among Adventists 45 years later that she felt was an even more impressive manifestation of the power of God. There are strong similarities between the two though.

Reply Quote
Re: Characteristics of true revival and reformation [Re: Charity] #80411
10/28/06 07:27 PM
10/28/06 07:27 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
I was trying to find a quote by Ellen White on revival where she says something to the effect that the final revival will start in the east. My memory is quit fuzzy on it, but I have a vague memory that it implies the final revival that fulfills the prophecy of Revelation 18 of the angel that lightens the whole world with the glory of the gospel will take root in the New England states. I could have that wrong. Does anyone remember that or have it handy?

One of the reasons I believe that's correct is that New England has been the location of the greatest revivals on this continent since the pilgrims first settled the thirteen colonies. The first and second Great Awakenings were centred there, and the South Lancaster Adventist revival took place there. She says the final revival will take place in many locations but it seems like the fire of the Holy Spirit ignites first in New England.

Another aspect or characteristic of all genuine revivals since the Reformation I've noticed recently is humility. In all of the great revivals people returned to the views of Luther and Calvin on the limits of human strength. The people achieved a more balanced view on the role of the will - that our wills are not helpful unless they are first submitted to God, and only divine power can enoble and refine them. This was also a characteristic of the South Lancaster revival.

Reply Quote
Re: Characteristics of true revival and reformation [Re: Charity] #80421
10/28/06 09:07 PM
10/28/06 09:07 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
So are you saying that that a revival is better the more solemn it is?

If the next revival among SDA is to start in the east, well, nowhere in US is a geographical area Id think about when you say east. East would be somewhere in asia.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Reply Quote
Re: Characteristics of true revival and reformation [Re: vastergotland] #80424
10/28/06 09:14 PM
10/28/06 09:14 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
There is an Eastern part of the USA just as there is an Eastern part of Canada, which I should know as I live in the Eastern part of Canada.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Reply Quote
Re: Characteristics of true revival and reformation [Re: Daryl] #80441
10/29/06 09:58 AM
10/29/06 09:58 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Which is of course relevant if we are speaking of an all-american event. If we are speaking about an worldwide event, that would change the perspectives somewhat. But maybe this is just an american experience Mark is talking about, in which case my east coment is of course invalid.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Reply Quote
Re: Characteristics of true revival and reformation [Re: vastergotland] #80466
10/29/06 11:33 PM
10/29/06 11:33 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
The final revival is global, but normally a revival starts in some location first and spreads to others. Often it takes stonger hold in the original location(s). Jerusalem is historically a centre for revival as well as apostacy. We should expect to see both there too, possible at or about the same time as the early signs in N America. Perhaps a large part of Geneva will repent and seek God too, who knows.

Reply Quote
Re: Characteristics of true revival and reformation [Re: Charity] #80479
10/30/06 09:03 AM
10/30/06 09:03 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
How did you arrive at Geneva and N America?

Galatians 2

Reply Quote
Re: Characteristics of true revival and reformation [Re: Charity] #81735
11/27/06 09:27 PM
11/27/06 09:27 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Originally Posted By: Mark Shipowick
I was trying to find a quote by Ellen White on revival where she says something to the effect that the final revival will start in the east. ...

There seem to be some references to the rising of the sun - which is in the east.

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Reply Quote
Re: Characteristics of true revival and reformation [Re: Johann] #81737
11/27/06 10:04 PM
11/27/06 10:04 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Johann
Originally Posted By: Mark Shipowick
I was trying to find a quote by Ellen White on revival where she says something to the effect that the final revival will start in the east. ...

There seem to be some references to the rising of the sun - which is in the east.
Japans self identity is the land of the rising sun...

Galatians 2

Reply Quote
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/11/24 12:20 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!