HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 15
Rick H 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,970 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 103 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 102 103
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Daryl] #85083
02/08/07 09:09 PM
02/08/07 09:09 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Daryl Fawcett
I base what I say on the following text:

Quote:

Luke 1:37 For with God nothing shall be impossible.

Nothing is impossible with God is what the text says, therefore, why do you limit God by saying that it is impossible for God to know what choice we will make even before we make it?
First, Luke 1 talks about the promise of Jesus birth to Mary and the background and birth of John the baptist. Thus it does not adress wether God is able to do two mutually exclusive things at the same time or not.
Secoundly, it is possible that God knows everything that will happen between now and eternity and that He has always done so. What I am saying is that if this is true, then the doctrine of free will of man joins with the doctrine of mans eternal soul and the doctrine of hell and the doctrine of the Pope being Jesus auctorised representative on earth and the doctrine of Abraham and Lazarus sitting in heaving looking down at a rich man and his brothers burn in hell.
Quote:

Let us also look at the following text:

Quote:

Matthew 26:34 Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
35 Peter said unto him, Though I should die with thee, yet will I not deny thee. Likewise also said all the disciples.

Christ prophesied to Peter that Peter would deny him three times this very night before the cock crows. Peter said he would not. Christ told Peter what he would choose to do. Peter said he wouldn't make such a choice.

Who was correct? Was it Christ, or was it Peter?
The question is not if Christ or Peter was right. The question is if Peter after hearing this could have choosen to stay away from any opportunity to deny Jesus or if Peter had no choise but to deny Jesus as soon as Jesus had prophesied it.

In a hypotetical situation. Tonight while you sleap, Jesus in a dream tells you that before the week is over, you will have left your wife for a younger woman and moved to Tahiti. If this happen, what do you do? Do you take it as a warning and to the outmost of your ability stay away from younger women for the rest of the week, or do you start a quest to find the most likeable young woman to run away with since Jesus now prophesied that you would do so?
Quote:

Quote:

Matthew 26:69 Now Peter sat without in the palace: and a damsel came unto him, saying, Thou also wast with Jesus of Galilee.
70 But he denied before them all, saying, I know not what thou sayest.
71 And when he was gone out into the porch, another maid saw him, and said unto them that were there, This fellow was also with Jesus of Nazareth.
72 And again he denied with an oath, I do not know the man.
73 And after a while came unto him they that stood by, and said to Peter, Surely thou also art one of them; for thy speech betrayeth thee.
74 Then began he to curse and to swear, saying, I know not the man. And immediately the cock crew.
75 And Peter remembered the word of Jesus, which said unto him, Before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice. And he went out, and wept bitterly.

This is a good example of a choice Christ said Peter would make even when Peter himself said he would never make such a choice. The above text tells us that Peter chose to do exactly what Christ prophesied he would do.
And as soon as Jesus had said the last sylable, Peter was forced to deny Him that very night?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: vastergotland] #85084
02/08/07 09:22 PM
02/08/07 09:22 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted By: västergötland

And as soon as Jesus had said the last sylable, Peter was forced to deny Him that very night?

No. Peter wasn't forced to do anything that very night, and neither was Judas. Both freely chose to do what they did.

You and Tom both forget that Christ knew beforehand what they would choose to do. He didn't make it happen. He only knew beforehand what freewill choice each would make, just as He knows what choices we will make even before we know ourselves.

Why do you limit God in this area?

I can see you limiting God in the senseless example that was posted earlier, but there isn't anything senseless about limiting God in this area.

God never claimed that He could make a rock so heavy that He couldn't lift it, however, Christ in the already provided text did claim that He could know beforehand what a person would choose to do.

It is in this sense that God said that nothing is impossible for Him to do.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Daryl] #85089
02/08/07 10:07 PM
02/08/07 10:07 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
You and Tom both forget that Christ knew beforehand what they would choose to do.

We're not forgetting this. This isn't the relevant fact. The relevant facts are the following:

a)If God's knowing that A will happen means that A will happen and not B, then it's not possible for B to happen.
b)If a person has free will mean he can do either A or B, then we have a contradiction.

Either it's true that only A can happen, or it's true that A or B can happen. Both cannot be the case.

Now I've asked you if the fact that God has seen that A will happen means that A must happen, and you've answered yes, which is a) above, meaning that A must happen, not B.

I've also asked if free will means that a person can do B and not A, and you've said yes.

Well, this is a contradiction! On the one hand, the person can't do B because B can't happen, because A must happen, because God has foreseen that this is what will happen. On the other hand, the person supposedly can to B because he has free will.

Well either he can do B (because he has free will), or he can't (because God has seen that he won't), but not both!

Which is it? Can the person do B or not?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #85090
02/08/07 10:13 PM
02/08/07 10:13 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I should add that many bring up the fact that God's foreseeing what will happen does not force a person to do what God has foreseen. This is of course true from the sense of physical force. God is not forcing a person to do what he has seen (and force isn't a principle of God's government anyway).

The "forcing" that takes place is of the logical variety. If God has foreseen that A will occur and not B, the person is "forced" to do A not because of anything God does, but by the logic of the situation. If it is the case that A must happen, then obviously the person cannot do B. That's just logic. It's not dependent upon anything that God is doing.

So what you should be asserting is not that God's foreseeing the future does not force a person to do what God has seen, but that logic does not force this to happen. But logic *does* "force" this to happen.

Quote:
It is important that in defending the doctrines which we consider fundamental articles of faith we should never allow ourselves to employ arguments that are not wholly sound. These may avail to silence an opposer but they do not honor the truth. We should present sound arguments, that will not only silence our opponents, but will bear the closest and most searching scrutiny.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Daryl] #85092
02/08/07 10:31 PM
02/08/07 10:31 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Daryl,

As for myself (and I guess Tom aswell), I have not forgotten about knowing beforehand. You and Mike keep minding about that.
If Peter wasn't forced to do anything that very night, the there was a posibility that he could have gone home instead of going to the high priests house and thereby could have avoided denying Jesus? Yes or no?

As for the rock example. I agree that it is totally senseless. And my point in giving it was to show that I think the idea of Gods absolute foreknowledge and mans absolute free will both being true at the same time is exactly as senseless as is the idea that God could or would create such a rock.

What I believe is that in creating intelligent beings such as ourselves, and giving us a free choise, God by this act surrendered some of His absolute power by His own choise.
I believe that God created humans because He wanted to have communion with Him. He wants us to love Him. Now, it is impossible to force love. Many things can be forced but love cannot be forced. It can only be given. So for God to recieve something from His created beings that must be given by free will, God surrendered controll over humans in the sence that we can choose for ourselves what we will do. (Though humans have been known to try and force our will over other humans, and at other times to surrender our will to someone else.) Now, if Jesus by telling Peter that he would deny Him, and thus leaving Peter without the choise not to deny Jesus. Then Peter no longer had the free choise to do what He wanted.

Is this making any sence at all? I do not think you are at all understanding what I am writing. Am I wasting my time here? Maybe we should just agree to disagree and be done with that. This effort appears to have to many things in common with Sisyfos struggle for comfort.

Carry on y'all.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: vastergotland] #85101
02/08/07 11:51 PM
02/08/07 11:51 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
You're making sense to me! I have a friend, who sees things similarly to I do, who thinks that we have a different gene than others who don't see the problem. It is, to us, a very obvious one, but apparently there are others who have trouble seeing it. It's very frustrating. Anyway, I appreciate your chiming in. I've tried to present things as clearly as possible, with the A and B bit, and am curious to see how that goes, if the point is understood.

When I've had this discussion in the past, the response that keeps coming back is "The fact that God knows what we will do does not interfere with our free will," but actual dealing with the logical problems involved.

Your point about love and free will and surrendering a bit of His sovereignty (my choice of words here, but the idea you shared) is right on! God has given us power to will and to do, so that His will is not always done (in fact, is seldom done), which is why we are enjoined to pray, "Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven."

Hope you keep posting!

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #85115
02/09/07 02:59 AM
02/09/07 02:59 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: Assuming God knows what choice we will make doesn't explain how we can make a choice He has seen we won't make.

MM: You make it sound like God’s foreknowledge is the reason why we won’t or can’t choose differently than He has foreseen, as if His foreknowledge somehow prevents us from choosing another way. This makes no sense to me whatsoever.

God’s foreknowledge is based on His divine ability to see the end from the beginning. God is simply reporting the facts. Foreknowledge and hindsight are, in God’s case, one and the same thing. From God’s divine perspective there is no difference between history and the future.

The future, for God, is like watching a rerun. His divine ability to see the future like history in no way affects the choices we have made or will make. To insist that God’s divine ability to see the future like history means we cannot choose differently than He has foreseen is ludicrous. It ignores the fact God views the future as if it were a rerun.

No one would accuse someone who is watching a rerun of preventing the actor from choosing another way simply because they report what will happen before it happens. Nobody accuses historians of preventing the people they write about from making different choices. They are simply reporting what has already happened.

Explaining what a person will do, before they do it, based on divine foreknowledge or hindsight, has nothing to do with whether or not that person can't or won't do something else. It has nothing to do with it. God is simply reporting what, from His divine perspective, has already happened - before it happens. He is God, therefore, He can report the future like it was history.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #85130
02/09/07 07:42 AM
02/09/07 07:42 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
It ignores the fact God views the future as if it were a rerun.
That is the question, if what you here claim to be fact indeed is a fact. I say no. You say yes. And this means we do not have enough common ground to have this discussion.

Galatians 2

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: vastergotland] #85139
02/09/07 11:54 AM
02/09/07 11:54 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
TE: Assuming God knows what choice we will make doesn't explain how we can make a choice He has seen we won't make.

MM: You make it sound like God’s foreknowledge is the reason why we won’t or can’t choose differently than He has foreseen, as if His foreknowledge somehow prevents us from choosing another way. This makes no sense to me whatsoever.

I've never done this, even once! I've denied this countless times, very likely, hundreds of times I've explained to you that the problem has nothing to do with God's foreknowledge, but rather with the nature of the future, as to whether it's fixed or not. The logical contradictions exist without God's foreknowledge being discussed at all.

I've explained this many times, but you keep coming back to this point. I don't know why.

The contradiction lies in the fact that, on the one hand, you assert something which implies that only one thing can happen in the future, and on the other hand something else which implies that more than one thing can happen in the future. Which is it? Is the future comprised or possibilities or is it an actuality which we simply can't see? It can't be both.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #85140
02/09/07 12:01 PM
02/09/07 12:01 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Explaining what a person will do, before they do it, based on divine foreknowledge or hindsight, has nothing to do with whether or not that person can't or won't do something else.

It depends upon whether or not the person can actually do something else. For example, I know my wife well enough to know that if I say something in certain circumstance she will respond in a certain way. But can she actually do something different? Yes she can.

However, if our future history is recorded in a book, can we do something different than what's recorded? No.

I asked you earlier if the fact that God has seen us doing A in the future means that A will happen, and you responded "yes." Now if A must happen, then I can't do anything other than A. God's foreknowledge doesn't force me to do A, however. What "forces" me to do A ("force" is really the wrong word, but it's the word you have been using, so I'll go along with it) is that fact that I can't do anything other than A.

Again, God's foreknowledge isn't the problem. The problem is that only A can happen and not B.

God's foreknowledge doesn't force us to do anything. Everyone knows this. Please don't keep making this point. No one is saying otherwise.

Page 10 of 103 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 102 103

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!