HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,566
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 11
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, Daryl, dedication, 3 invisible), 2,215 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16
True Conversion Described #86472
03/15/07 07:59 PM
03/15/07 07:59 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
The following description of true conversion disproves the idea advocated by certain members on MSDAOL that people are converted and born again with their their sinful habits unrevealed, unconfessed, and uncrucified.

AA 445-447
At the time of their conversion and baptism the Colossian believers pledged themselves to put away beliefs and practices that had hitherto been a part of their lives, and to be true to their allegiance to Christ. In his letter, Paul reminded them of this, and entreated them not to forget that in order to keep their pledge they must put forth constant effort against the evils that would seek for mastery over them. "If ye then be risen with Christ," he said, "seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God." {AA 475.3}

"If any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new." 2 Corinthians 5:17. Through the power of Christ, men and women have broken the chains of sinful habit. They have renounced selfishness. The profane have become reverent, the drunken sober, the profligate pure. Souls that have borne the likeness of Satan have become transformed into the image of God. This change is in itself the miracle of miracles. A change wrought by the Word, it is one of the deepest mysteries of the Word. We cannot understand it; we can only believe, as declared by the Scriptures, it is "Christ in you, the hope of glory." {AA 476.1}

When the Spirit of God controls mind and heart, the converted soul breaks forth into a new song; for he realizes that in his experience the promise of God has been fulfilled, that his transgression has been forgiven, his sin covered. He has exercised repentance toward God for the violation of the divine law, and faith toward Christ, who died for man's justification. "Being justified by faith," he has "peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ." Romans 5:1. {AA 476.2}

But because this experience is his, the Christian is not therefore to fold his hands, content with that which has been accomplished for him. He who has determined to enter the spiritual kingdom will find that all the powers and passions of unregenerate nature, backed by the forces of the kingdom of darkness, are arrayed against him. Each day he must renew his consecration, each day do battle with evil. Old habits, hereditary tendencies to wrong, will strive for the mastery, and against these he is to be ever on guard, striving in Christ's strength for victory. {AA 476.3}

Re: True Conversion Described [Re: Mountain Man] #86474
03/15/07 08:09 PM
03/15/07 08:09 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I think you're not phrasing the area of dispute well. You believe that no non-SDA's were converted. So you are converted, but Luther, and Wycliffe, and Jerome weren't, to name just a few. I think a definition of conversion that leads to this conclusion is suspect.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: True Conversion Described [Re: Tom] #86612
03/18/07 10:15 PM
03/18/07 10:15 PM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
I'm glad you're persistant MM on this topic. I recently read Colin Standish's booklet, Perfection. He has a chapter in it on sanctification which is close to your view. He quoted the last sentence of the following passage (also from AA) but the earlier part of the paragraph gives more of the context. Overall, Standish's book is very good.

Quote:
Sanctification is not the work of a moment, an hour, a day, but of a lifetime. It is not gained by a happy flight of feeling, but is the result of constantly dying to sin, and constantly living for Christ. Wrongs cannot be righted nor reformations wrought in the character by feeble, intermittent efforts. It is only by long, persevering effort, sore discipline, and stern conflict, that we shall overcome. We know not one day how strong will be our conflict the next. So long as Satan reigns, we shall have self to subdue, besetting sins to overcome; so long as life shall last, there will be no stopping place, no point which we can reach and say, I have fully attained. Sanctification is the result of lifelong obedience. {AA 560.3}

I agree that God does not see our imperfections and that if we abide in Christ, we are perfect in every stage of growth. I agree that the one who abides in Christ can't sin intentionally.

Scriptural sanctification is abiding in Christ. As a child doesn't fully reproduce the works and character of the parent, we are not a full reflection of Christ. How can we fully reflect God when we see in a glass darkly? But we will share all of the same traits of character - the fruits of the Spirit.

Few theologians or laymen have a correct balance regarding sanctification in my view. It is not an easy subject to describe accurately. Ellen White is the best we have outside of scripture.

Re: True Conversion Described [Re: Charity] #86619
03/19/07 02:06 AM
03/19/07 02:06 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Mark, a couple of questions, followed by a comment.

a)Do you agree with MM that he, and you(?), are converted, but Martin Luther was not?
b)What do you mean by saying that God does not see our imperfections? This sounds like some sort of voluntary divine self-induced blindness. If He can't see our imperfections, how can He help us overcome them? I assume you don't mean your statement to be taken literally(?). That what you mean is something along the lines that God chooses not to take them into account(?)
c)The following statement doesn't really say anything helpful, does it: "I agree that the one who abides in Christ can't sin intentionally." If it does, I don't see what it is. The reason I say this is because to abide in Christ, means by definition, to choose Christ over sin, doesn't it? So isn't this simply saying that as long as one chooses not to sin intentionally, one will not sin intentionally?

I think an issue that would be helpful to identify is what the actual problem is. I believe Ellen White does an excellent job of this here:

Quote:
The earth was dark through misapprehension of God. That the gloomy shadows might be lightened, that the world might be brought back to God, Satan's deceptive power was to be broken. This could not be done by force. The exercise of force is contrary to the principles of God's government; He desires only the service of love; and love cannot be commanded; it cannot be won by force or authority. Only by love is love awakened. To know God is to love Him; His character must be manifested in contrast to the character of Satan. This work only one Being in all the universe could do. Only He who knew the height and depth of the love of God could make it known. Upon the world's dark night the Sun of Righteousness must rise, "with healing in His wings." Mal. 4:2. (DA 22)

Love is the fulfilling of the law. Obedience to the Ten Commandments is summed up by the one word "love." There is the love of God, and the love of one's neighbor.

Now since love cannot be commanded, and since love is the fulfilling of the law, it follows that commandment keeping can no more be commanded than love can. Only by love is love awakened. Similarly, only by love is obedience awakened.

It is as we behold the love of God, especially as revealed at the cross, that love within us is kindled, and, above all, an appreciation of *His* love awakens within us. This heartfelt appreciation and gratitude has motivating power, such as was manifested in the life of Paul, who stated that he would even be anathema (lost, cursed), if that would mean the salvation of those who were persecuting him. This is the spirit of Christ, and the work of the Spirit of Christ.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: True Conversion Described [Re: Tom] #86636
03/19/07 10:27 PM
03/19/07 10:27 PM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Yes Tom, we certainly need to have a fresh revelation of the life and death of Christ. God help us and grant us grace to think on Him.

The idea that God views us as though we had never sinned was one of the 1888 elements - based, I suppose, on texts like the one that says our life is hid with Christ.

I don't know about MM, but my own view is that Luther was converted as a young man and stayed true to his calling. One of the less glorious chapters of his life is his encounter with Zwingle on the doctrine of transubstitution. But what a great soldier of Christ. If I could be one tenth as effective, I'd be grateful and of course anyone who is that effective will give the credit to God.

Re: True Conversion Described [Re: Charity] #86657
03/20/07 05:09 AM
03/20/07 05:09 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
" So long as Satan reigns, we shall have self to subdue, besetting sins to overcome ..."

Mark, I understand this phrase to mean we must labor daily to resist owning or acting out the unholy desires of our flesh. I do not take it to mean we will continue to sin and repent until Jesus returns. What is your take on it?

Regarding Luther's conversion: I believe he was in the process of converting from darkness to light, from not obeying everything Jesus commanded to obeying everything He commanded. But he died before he completed converting. See Mat 28:19, 20. Do you see what I mean?

Re: True Conversion Described [Re: Mountain Man] #86681
03/20/07 02:49 PM
03/20/07 02:49 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
It sounds like we're on the same page here, Mark. I have a small quibble:

Quote:
The idea that God views us as though we had never sinned was one of the 1888 elements - based, I suppose, on texts like the one that says our life is hid with Christ.

The small quibble is I would say that God *treats* us as though we had never sinned. He views us as we are, but treats us graciously, which is an accordance to His gracious character.

Thoughts?

Re: True Conversion Described [Re: Tom] #86682
03/20/07 02:55 PM
03/20/07 02:55 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
" So long as Satan reigns, we shall have self to subdue, besetting sins to overcome ..."

Mark, I understand this phrase to mean we must labor daily to resist owning or acting out the unholy desires of our flesh. I do not take it to mean we will continue to sin and repent until Jesus returns.

I agree with this.

Regarding conversion, here's a statement from the Spirit of Prophecy, speaking of the work of Wesley:

Quote:
As members of the Church of England, they were strongly attached to her forms of worship, but the Lord had presented before them in his Word a higher standard. The Holy Spirit urged them to preach Christ and him crucified. The power of the Highest attended their labors. Thousands were convicted and truly converted. It was necessary that these sheep be protected from ravening wolves. Wesley had no thought of forming a new denomination, but he organized them under what was called the Methodist Connection. (GC 257)

I don't expect you to admit to having erred, but this demonstrates that "converted" does not require being a Seventh-day Adventist.

Re: True Conversion Described [Re: Tom] #86688
03/20/07 03:41 PM
03/20/07 03:41 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
You're right, Tom, "converted" can mean living up to the light they have received. But I am referring to "converted" in the ultimate, completed sense, in the Matthew 28:19, 20 sense. Do you see a difference?

Re: True Conversion Described [Re: Mountain Man] #86693
03/20/07 04:01 PM
03/20/07 04:01 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Hmm, I dont think there nessessarily is a difference to be viewed. As was concluded in another thread, some of the things on the SDA sin list never where sins before until Ellen told us they where... So Luther may have observed all things which Jesus commanded without making it to the SDA list...

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/11/24 12:20 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!