HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,593
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, dedication, TruthinTypes, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 15 of 16 1 2 13 14 15 16
Re: True Conversion Described [Re: Tom] #88641
05/05/07 05:48 AM
05/05/07 05:48 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Just a quickie.

Quote:
But the blood of Christ will never atone for a sin unrepented and unconfessed. {ST, March 7, 1878 par. 22}

Do you believe the IJ is for God to gather information? I don't. I think it is for all non-divine beings, who can't read the heart, to see the evidence of transformation for themselves. By their fruits, you will know them.

Quote:
Ezekiel 33:13 - When I shall say to the righteous, that he shall surely live; if he trust to his own righteousness, and commit iniquity, all his righteousnesses shall not be remembered; but for his iniquity that he hath committed, he shall die for it.

I made a new topic with subject occasional good deeds and occasional misdeeds. See you there.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: True Conversion Described [Re: asygo] #88649
05/06/07 12:03 AM
05/06/07 12:03 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
If Satan was in the dark about something that later came to light, then why would that coming to light be any more healing for you than for anyone else, including Satan.

Of course. God knows everything. It can't be for Him. Primarily it serves as evidence regarding God Himself, that He has been fair and just in all His actions. Satan has accused Him of being untrustworthy, unjust, and not having the best interests of His creatures in mind. The judgment will show the truth about God.

I made a new topic with subject occasional good deeds and occasional misdeeds. See you there.

OK

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: True Conversion Described [Re: Tom] #88652
05/06/07 01:25 AM
05/06/07 01:25 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
But the blood of Christ will never atone for a sin unrepented and unconfessed. {ST, March 7, 1878 par. 22}

I wanted to comment about this. The "atonement" is the "at-one-ment." For example:

Quote:
The whole world needs to be instructed in the oracles of God, to understand the object of the atonement, the at-one-ment, with God. (7SDABC 471)

The at-one-ment brings as at-one with God. In other words, we are reconciled to God. How? The following brings this out:

Quote:
Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God. (ST 1/20/90)

Satan has misrepresented God's character, leading men to be at odds with God, by believing his lies. Jesus Christ came to reveal the truth. When we believe the truth, we are set right, or reconciled, with God, which is the object of the atonement.

Quote:
(M)an was deceived; his mind was darkened by Satan's sophistry. The height and depth of the love of God he did not know. For him there was hope in a knowledge of God's love. By beholding His character he might be drawn back to God.(DA 762)

We have hope how? By a knowledge of God's love. By beholding God's character, we can be drawn back to Him (or reconciled, set right).

There was a reason I brought out the blood was not required in order for Satan to be pardoned. This is because the meaning of the blood is often misunderstood. The blood was not for God, but for us. God has no need of blood. God, because He is merciful and compassionate, freely offers pardon to us, just as He did to Satan. However, without the blood (which is the life of Christ), we could not see the goodness of God, or perceive His love.

Quoting the above, with a little more context:

Quote:
But even as a sinner, man was in a different position from that of Satan. Lucifer in heaven had sinned in the light of God's glory. To him as to no other created being was given a revelation of God's love.

Understanding the character of God, knowing His goodness, Satan chose to follow his own selfish, independent will. This choice was final. There was no more that God could do to save him. But man was deceived; his mind was darkened by Satan's sophistry. The height and depth of the love of God he did not know. For him there was hope in a knowledge of God's love. By beholding His character he might be drawn back to God.

Satan chose to rebel with an understanding of God's goodness and love. So all God could do for Satan was to freely offer Him pardon, which is what He did. "Again and again" God offered Lucifer pardon. There was no need for blood, because Satan already had an understanding of the love and character of God.

Back to your quote:

Quote:
But the blood of Christ will never atone for a sin unrepented and unconfessed.

What is sin? Sin is the transgression of the law. What is the law? It is a transcript of the character of God. The underlying principle of the law is self-sacrificing love. It the underlying principle of God's government.

Therefore sin which is unrepented and unconfessed refers to the purpose of choosing to live contrary to the principles of God's government. It is to prefer living for self to living for others, or, above all, to live for God.

Given the purpose of the blood is the at-one-ment, it should be clear that the blood cannot have this purpose if one chooses to live contrary to the principles of God's government. As long as we are intransigent, set against God, we cannot be set right with Him.

However, this does not refer to falling into a sin. To be deceived into sin, or to fail in a moment of weakness does not mean that one has purposed in one's heart to live contrary to God and the principles of His government.

Remember that the choice of those who take part of the second resurrection no to go to heaven *is voluntary*.

God simply reveals Himself and the principles of His government. He gives everyone what they choose. Those who have chosen to live contrary to God and His purposes will hate heaven.

Quote:
A life of rebellion against God has unfitted them for heaven. Its purity, holiness, and peace would be torture to them; the glory of God would be a consuming fire. They would long to flee from that holy place. They would welcome destruction, that they might be hidden from the face of Him who died to redeem them. The destiny of the wicked is fixed by their own choice. Their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves, and just and merciful on the part of God. (GC 543)

What enables us to desire the purity, holiness and peace of heaven is a revelation of the truth about God, seen in Jesus Christ.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: True Conversion Described [Re: Tom] #88694
05/08/07 03:26 PM
05/08/07 03:26 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
MM: Also, I agree with you that Moses would not have been lost had he died before he was able to repent. I believe God imputes repentance in cases where people would have repented had they not died immediately.

TE: Good! I'm glad we agree on this. …

MM: I didn't realize we agreed on God imputing repentance in cases involving people who would have repented had they not died.

TE: You’re right. I missed the second sentence. I agree with the first sentence.

Do you disagree that God imputes repentance and salvation in such cases based on the general trend of their lives?

Quote:
MM: Also, the "occasional good deeds" Sister White wrote about in SC 58 seems to refer to the fruits of the Spirit, rather than worldly good deeds.

TE: Good deeds are deeds that are good. “Worldly” doesn’t enter into it. Calling them fruits of the Spirit seems like it could be misleading, since that phrase usually applies to people who are saved.

The SC 58 quote concerning “good deeds” is clearly a reference to fruits of the Spirit, not ordinary deeds that appear good on the surface but are nothing more than beautiful sin. The “character” that she speaks of, which is revealed, is that of a born again believer abiding in Jesus. The “misdeeds” is what happens when believers are not abiding in Jesus. Such “misdeeds” include “all our righteousnesses” or worldly good deeds.

SC 57, 58
If the heart has been renewed by the Spirit of God, the life will bear witness to the fact. While we cannot do anything to change our hearts or to bring ourselves into harmony with God; while we must not trust at all to ourselves or our good works, our lives will reveal whether the grace of God is dwelling within us. A change will be seen in the character, the habits, the pursuits. The contrast will be clear and decided between what they have been and what they are. The character is revealed, not by occasional good deeds and occasional misdeeds, but by the tendency of the habitual words and acts. {SC 57.2}

Quote:
TE: So to put this in the abiding language, what causes one to move out of abiding in Jesus is to cherish sin, not simply to commit it. One could commit a sin of ignorance, which would have no conscious effect on the one committing it, or commit a known sin, without cherishing it. If one refuses to respond to the wooing of the Holy Spirit to repent, that's where I think the abiding in Jesus part stops. So in Moses' case, he never stopped abiding in Jesus.

MM: I'm not sure about this. Neglecting to abide in Jesus is as much as sin as the sins that follow. I suppose it would fall under the category of sins of omission. What do you think?

TE: People don’t normally think in terms of doing something to abide in Jesus. If one loves God, it’s natural to think about Him, to want to know Him better, to do His will and so forth. It’s not so much that Moses did something to not abide in Jesus, but he got tempted, and lost his temper. That’s what I think.

Moses did not choose to continue to abide in Jesus and that’s why he struck the rock twice in anger. Abiding in Jesus requires a conscious, deliberate, continuous choice, which we must make every second of every day.

Neglecting to continue to choose to abide in Jesus is choosing not to abide in Him. It’s our default choice. Abiding in Him requires diligence and choice. It is not by default, as you seem to be implying. There is nothing natural about it. Sinning is natural.

Therefore, if we neglect to choose to abide in Jesus, we separate ourselves from Him. Being separated from Jesus means we are sinning. There is no neutral time period between separating from Jesus and committing a known sin where we are not sinning. Consequently, neglecting to continue to choose to abide in Jesus is a sin itself. I’m surprised you disagree.

Re: True Conversion Described [Re: Tom] #88695
05/08/07 03:48 PM
05/08/07 03:48 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
MM: Also, I agree with you (Tom) that Moses would not have been lost had he died before he was able to repent.

A: I disagree with both of you on this point. Repentance is necessary. If one does not repent, one is not forgiven. Plus, if there is still hope for a sinner to repent, God would not allow him to die.

Does God know ahead of time if they will repent? If so, then what’s wrong with Him letting them die first and imputing it afterwards?

“Moses had sinned, and his past fidelity could not atone for the present sin.” (CC 109) I agree. But it does not mean God cannot impute repentance and salvation based on the general trend of their lives, based on the choices He knows they would have made had He not allowed them to die first.

Re: True Conversion Described [Re: Mountain Man] #88696
05/08/07 04:53 PM
05/08/07 04:53 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
MM: I guess we see things differently. I believe a person must experience the miracle of rebirth in order to begin abiding in Jesus, to begin partaking of the divine nature, to begin walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man, to begin maturing in the fruits of the Spirit.

That's why I believe a person doesn't instantly stop being born again when they cease to consciously choose to abide in Jesus, especially as it relates to committing a known sin unintentionally, spontaneously. However, as it relates to intentional, premeditated sinning I suspect they have stopped being born again. They certainly have stopped abiding in Jesus.

What do you think about these distinctions?

A:
  • rebirth
  • begin partaking of the divine nature
  • begin walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man
  • begin maturing in the fruits of the Spirit

These are not all the same thing, but they always go together. They are distinct, but never separate.

I agree.

Quote:
A:
  • partaking of the divine nature
  • walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man
  • maturing in the fruits of the Spirit

These, OTOH, continue forever.

How do you mean?

Quote:
A: As for committing a known sin unintentionally, I'm not sure that's really possible. Whoever is Christ's is led by the Spirit of God. The Spirit does not lead into sin. Rather, He leads into all truth.

Do you see a difference between intentional and unintentional sinning (as described above) as it relates to staying born again or not?

Quote:
A: I thought you believe that even sins of ignorance must be eradicated before rebirth. If so, how could known sins even exist at that point?

I'm sorry I gave you the impression I believe even sins of ignorance must be eradicated before a person can experience the miracle of rebirth. I believe people experience rebirth the moment they confess and crucify their moral imperfections as they relate to the what is known instinctively from birth (the last six commandments). Sins of ignorance cannot involve things that are prohibited by the last six commandments because they are known instinctively from birth. Nobody is ignorant of them.

Re: True Conversion Described [Re: Mountain Man] #88708
05/08/07 09:36 PM
05/08/07 09:36 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
 Quote:
A:
  • partaking of the divine nature
  • walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man
  • maturing in the fruits of the Spirit

These, OTOH, continue forever.

How do you mean?

I was pretty unclear there. I had to go back and review my own post. \:\)

Anyway, what I mean is that these things are not instantaneous events, unlike rebirth. They all start at rebirth, but they must be experienced continually.

Furthermore, they are all present if one is truly converted. If any one of these is missing, that is proof that the person has not crucified self, and is therefore not born of God.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: True Conversion Described [Re: asygo] #88727
05/09/07 01:21 AM
05/09/07 01:21 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
If I'm understanding what you just wrote correctly Arnold (and I think I am), I agree.

Re: True Conversion Described [Re: Tom] #88728
05/09/07 01:25 AM
05/09/07 01:25 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
I'm sorry I gave you the impression I believe even sins of ignorance must be eradicated before a person can experience the miracle of rebirth. I believe people experience rebirth the moment they confess and crucify their moral imperfections as they relate to the what is known instinctively from birth (the last six commandments). Sins of ignorance cannot involve things that are prohibited by the last six commandments because they are known instinctively from birth. Nobody is ignorant of them.

Sure they are! The seventh commandment forbids adultery. This means having relations with someone who is not your wife. This is not something known instinctively from birth.

This is just one example.

Another is covetousness. Paul explictly says that he would not have known this was sin but for the law. This means he did not know it instintively, or he could not have said he would not have known it except for the law, since he would have known it already, without the law.

If the last six commandments were known instinctively, God would have just given four. That would have been sufficient.

Re: True Conversion Described [Re: Tom] #88730
05/09/07 01:42 AM
05/09/07 01:42 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
A: Anyway, what I mean is that these things are not instantaneous events, unlike rebirth. They all start at rebirth, but they must be experienced continually.

MM: I agree. Rebirth is instantaneous. We begin experiencing the other things listed above at that time, and we must choose moment by moment to keep on experiencing them.

A: Furthermore, they are all present if one is truly converted. If any one of these is missing, that is proof that the person has not crucified self, and is therefore not born of God.

MM: True. They cannot begin experiencing them before they born again. They do not help us discover and confess and crucify moral imperfections prohibited by the last six commandments. We are instinctively aware of them. Instead, they help us develop the sinless traits of character God implanted within us the moment we were born again. Do you agree?

However, if born again believers spontaneously commit a known sin it proves they are not experiencing the things listed above, but it does not prove they never were truly born again or converted in the first place. Do you agree?

PS - Are you planning to address the other points I raised in my last two posts? I would like to discuss them with you.

Page 15 of 16 1 2 13 14 15 16

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 10:58 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!