HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 15
Rick H 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,970 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Is There a Difference Between the 28 Fundamental Beliefs & The Pillars of the SDA Church? [Re: crater] #89013
05/20/07 04:06 PM
05/20/07 04:06 PM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
I will try and restate this, hopefully more clearly. \:\)

Daryl furnished a list of "Pillars" aligned with "Fundamental Beliefs" My question is: Do we see them being taught in "official SDA publications"?

Quote:
Here is what I discovered in comparing the pillars of our faith list to the 28 Fundamental Beliefs:

1 - The cleansing of the heavenly sanctuary = Fundamental Belief #24.
2 - The three angels' messages = Fundamental Belief #13.
3 - The law of God = Fundamental Belief #19.
4 - The seventh-day Sabbath = Fundamental Belief #20.
5 - The nonimmortality of the soul = Fundamental Belief #26.

Though the 28 Fundamental Beliefs & The Pillars of the SDA Church seem to be in tune to each other, I can see why certain "independent ministries" have emerged over the years.

I find that the majority of, "Our Pulpits" as well as, "Our Publishing" seem to be lacking when it comes to presenting the "Pillars of the Faith" as listed above.

Seems to me that the Review is neglecting the past, the pioneer teaching of the "Landmarks of the Faith". Especially in light of some illumination shed in the article that Daryl posted. Did you note the first paragraph, the first sentence (Chap. 3 - The Foundations, Pillars, and Landmarks, Early Workers to Speak.--God has given me light regarding our periodicals {CW 28.1}?) "God has given me light" and "The word given me is:" are used in the first paragraph! To me that is perhaps the most significant part of the whole article.

Quote:
God has given me light regarding our periodicals. What is it?--He has said that the dead are to speak. How?--Their works shall follow them. We are to repeat the words of the pioneers in our work, who knew what it cost to search for the truth as for hidden treasure, and who labored to lay the foundation of our work. They moved forward step by step under the influence of the Spirit of God. One by one these pioneers are passing away. The word given me is, Let that which these men have written in the past be reproduced.[/b] And in the Signs of the Times let not the articles be long or the print fine. Do not try to crowd everything into one number of the paper. Let the print be good, and let earnest, living experiences be put into the paper. {CW 28.1}

I can see why "independent ministries" are republishing the works of the "Pioneers" as there is neglect, of this from the SDA publishing house's.

Our Firm Foundation I just checked it out online and looked at the Jan 2007 issue. The "headlines" are:

Quote:
The Seventh-day Sabbath,
Christ Our Righteousness,
The Immutable Law of God,
The Non-Immortality of the Soul,
The Three Angels’ Messages,
and The Sanctuary.

I have noted that the "dead" usually "speak" in one or two articles per issue, either Ellen or one of the other "Pioneers".

How often do we even see one of this subjects addressed in the Adventist Review
"Or the dead speak"?

Now compare the titles for the articles of the same month of Adventist Review. (I picked both at random).

Quote:
Adventist Review January 11, 2007
5 • New—And Old—Directions
In his first editorial as editor, Bill Knott shares his vision for the Adventist Review.
6 • The New IdolatryMembers-only Article
Steve Chavez reminds us that God is not a problem to be solved; He is mystery to be experienced.
8 • Cyber Geeks and Jesus
Communicating the gospel in today's society often requires new technology--and the know-how to use it.
12 • Cyberspace Worship
Who says you can't have church online?
16 • A Different Kind of Love LetterMembers-only Article
A summer camp, a cabin full of girls, and a flash of inspiration.
22 • Toward an Adventist View of the UniverseMembers-only Article
The galaxies are vast and complex--just like their Creator.
26 • One Year for ChristMembers-only Article
Would you serve God for 12 months if you knew you would never be the same again?
29 • Why Is It so Hard to Change?Members-only Article
30 • Technology Goes to ChurchMembers-only Article
31 • God With UsMembers-only Article

Looking over the titles for the current issue of the Adventist Review, for just a second I was happy to see the heading, "Church Launch 'New Sanctuary' Movement. I thought oh, I'm glad to see I am wrong, here is an article on the "Sanctuary", then I read the next two words. Sorry the jokes on me!

Quote:
Church Launch 'New Sanctuary' Movement for Immigrants
The new movement will provide shelter for illegal immigrants. Adventist Review, May 17, 2007

My only further comment on "independent ministries" is that I can see why "independent ministries" are republishing the works of the "Pioneers," as there appears to be neglect of this from the SDA publishing house's. To discuss the independent ministries further in this thread would be .

Re: Is There a Difference Between the 28 Fundamental Beliefs & The Pillars of the SDA Church? [Re: crater] #89015
05/20/07 10:01 PM
05/20/07 10:01 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Good point Crater, very good points. Why is it that such things happen? I mean why aren't more articles whether they are 100 or 1 year old being published today? Personally I find it inspiring to see the object lessons taught in the sanctuary services which pointed to Christ, the plan of Salvation, forgiveness, the angels surrounding the throne, etc etc. Really wonderful truths and promises. I like some things that independent ministries write, but they are far and between, [EDIT]but will be reading HopeInt articles with a little more open mind i.e. disregarding anyone's bad behavior should not reflect on those which they claim to represent.
Maybe it's time to email the editor at Adventist Review to print an old article from yesteryear, one that speaks powerfully?
God Bless,
Will

Last edited by Will; 05/20/07 10:12 PM. Reason: added 1 sentence for clarity. it's emphasized
Re: Is There a Difference Between the 28 Fundamental Beliefs & The Pillars of the SDA Church? [Re: Rosangela] #89016
05/20/07 10:07 PM
05/20/07 10:07 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
MM,
I agree with your analogies, maybe the fundamental beliefs make up different parts of the building, but not what makes up the structural integrity? Does that sound, or would you think it to be correct to describe it as so?
I am just starting to read DA so thanks for that quote. I am hoping to learn a lot, and am trying to get back to the basics of my Faith.
God Bless,
Will

Re: Is There a Difference Between the 28 Fundamental Beliefs & The Pillars of the SDA Church? [Re: Will] #89017
05/20/07 10:10 PM
05/20/07 10:10 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Rosangela,
When you have some time can you expand abit on your post?
 Quote:

I think not any of them isolately, but all of them together is what distinguishes the SDA Church from other churches.

I understand what you said, but am thinking that the sanctuary doctrine, three angels message, Spirit of Prophecy, (Is that unique to us?), can be isolated as being unique, but together they paint a portrait that is beautiful and makes a truly unique doctrine pointing to Christ.
What do you think?
God Bless,
Will

Re: Is There a Difference Between the 28 Fundamental Beliefs & The Pillars of the SDA Church? [Re: Will] #89038
05/21/07 03:13 PM
05/21/07 03:13 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Yes, Will, they indeed paint a portrait that makes a truly unique doctrine pointing to Christ. The portrait of Christ’s mission is not complete without the emphasis on His mediatory ministry. Other churches focus mainly on the cross, forgetting that, without Christ’s intercessory ministry, the cross wouldn’t have saved us.

It’s interesting that the pillars were the truths rediscovered by our pioneers, and they are all intertwined. By October 23, 1844, Edson had already reached the conclusion that the sanctuary to be cleansed was the heavenly one. Then the Adventists related the perpetuity of the Law of God and of the Sabbath with the heavenly sanctuary, mainly through the text of Rev. 11:19. The Law and the Sabbath were also related to the third angel’s message, through Rev. 14:12. The Adventists also concluded that on October 22, 1844 Christ had entered the Most Holy Place to begin the cleansing of the heavenly sanctuary, which was understood as comprehending an investigative judgment. But the belief in the unconscious state of the dead was fundamental for their belief in an investigative judgment, since if the dead received their reward at death, there would be no need for an investigative judgment and for a final resurrection. Thus, these intertwined truths formed the core of our distinctive message as a church.

Re: Is There a Difference Between the 28 Fundamental Beliefs & The Pillars of the SDA Church? [Re: Will] #89039
05/21/07 03:58 PM
05/21/07 03:58 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec
 Originally Posted By: Will
MM,
I am just starting to read DA so thanks for that quote. I am hoping to learn a lot, and am trying to get back to the basics of my Faith.
God Bless,
Will

Hi Will,

Did you ever consider the earlier, original books?

• Spiritual Gifts, Vols. 1 - 4.
• Spirit of Prophecy, Vols. 1 - 4.
• Sketches from the Life of Paul.

These smaller, black, hardbound volumes are the fore-runners to the current Conflict Series. They are photofacsimile reprints of the original volumes, which were reasonably priced when bought some years ago from the Adventist Book Center. They may still be available. Spiritual Gifts also contains some Testimonies for the Church and the early health message. Compact, very readable, every bit inspired.

Gordon

Re: Is There a Difference Between the 28 Fundamental Beliefs & The Pillars of the SDA Church? [Re: gordonb1] #89124
05/24/07 02:35 AM
05/24/07 02:35 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Hi Gordonb1,
I have considered it, but I don't see a reason to get all of these editions, when I have the set my mom bought me many many years ago. Currently I have 3 versions of the Great Controvbersy, the little skinny one that is around 100 some odd pages, the thicker black book which I find valuable as it contains footnotes on verses, and the later one in a cream colored binding with a picture of Christ and His Angels on it.The message is still the same.
I did see them at the ABC not too long ago, so they are in circulation.
On a side note, the health message is not a pillar of our faith, many religions, and creeds adopt a health message, so it is not unique to us. I am looking more towards what we believed in.
Thanks for your input.
God Bless,
Will

Re: Is There a Difference Between the 28 Fundamental Beliefs & The Pillars of the SDA Church? [Re: Will] #89125
05/24/07 02:37 AM
05/24/07 02:37 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Thanks for that summary Rosangela, it really captures the essence of our faith as it is in Christ. Not long winded, but short, to the point and packs a punch!
God Bless,
Will

Re: Is There a Difference Between the 28 Fundamental Beliefs & The Pillars of the SDA Church? [Re: Will] #89126
05/24/07 03:39 AM
05/24/07 03:39 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Will
the health message is not a pillar of our faith

Very important, but not a pillar. Same goes for the nature of Christ? Trinity/Godhead?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Is There a Difference Between the 28 Fundamental Beliefs & The Pillars of the SDA Church? [Re: asygo] #89128
05/24/07 06:15 AM
05/24/07 06:15 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Very true asygo.
God Bless,
Will

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!