HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,795 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Lesson Study # 7 - Boaz and Ruth: Firm FOUNDATIONS #91316
08/11/07 10:19 PM
08/11/07 10:19 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Here is the link to the study material for this week's topic:

http://www.ssnet.org/qrtrly/eng/07c/less07.html

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson Study # 7 - Boaz and Ruth: Firm FOUNDATIONS [Re: Daryl] #91352
08/13/07 10:29 PM
08/13/07 10:29 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
 Quote:

Memory Text: "'Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried' " (Ruth 1:16, 17).

The book of Ruth is one of very few books of the Bible written by a Gentile, a Moabite.

Isn't it interesting that the first solid or firm relationship in this quarter's study comes from a Gentile and not from a Jew.

Daryl smile

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson Study # 7 - Boaz and Ruth: Firm FOUNDATIONS [Re: Daryl] #91365
08/14/07 05:35 AM
08/14/07 05:35 AM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
Who wrote the book of Ruth?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson Study # 7 - Boaz and Ruth: Firm FOUNDATIONS [Re: crater] #91367
08/14/07 06:22 AM
08/14/07 06:22 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
In my study Bible, they say that it could have been Samuel, but the reality is that no one knows, at least that is what it says in the intro.
God Bless,
Will

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson Study # 7 - Boaz and Ruth: Firm FOUNDATIONS [Re: Daryl] #91371
08/14/07 05:00 PM
08/14/07 05:00 PM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
 Originally Posted By: Daryl Fawcett
 Quote:

Memory Text: "'Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried' " (Ruth 1:16, 17).

The book of Ruth is one of very few books of the Bible written by a Gentile, a Moabite.

Isn't it interesting that the first solid or firm relationship in this quarter's study comes from a Gentile and not from a Jew.
Daryl, apparently, it has been thought by some that Samuel wrote the book of Ruth, or did a Moabite write the book?

Is there several thoughts on who wrote the book?

What is your source? \:\)

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson Study # 7 - Boaz and Ruth: Firm FOUNDATIONS [Re: crater] #91396
08/16/07 01:41 PM
08/16/07 01:41 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I actually assumed that Ruth wrote it, however, I now realize that she didn't write it.

I looked at the intro in my It Is Written Bible. Nobody seems to really know who wrote the book of Ruth, however, they seem to think it was written during the time of King David, perhaps by King David himself.

Daryl smile

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson Study # 7 - Boaz and Ruth: Firm FOUNDATIONS [Re: Daryl] #91406
08/16/07 07:12 PM
08/16/07 07:12 PM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
It would make since for David to write it as Ruth was one of his progenitors.

Matt 1:

"5And Salmon begat Booz of Rachab; and Booz begat Obed of Ruth; and Obed begat Jesse;

6And Jesse begat David the king; and David the king."

Ruth 4:

" 17And the women her neighbours gave it a name, saying, There is a son born to Naomi; and they called his name Obed: he is the father of Jesse, the father of David.

18Now these are the generations of Pharez: Pharez begat Hezron,

19And Hezron begat Ram, and Ram begat Amminadab,

20And Amminadab begat Nahshon, and Nahshon begat Salmon,

21And Salmon begat Boaz, and Boaz begat Obed,

22And Obed begat Jesse, and Jesse begat David."

What I don't understand is, wasn't there a law pertaining to the offspring from the union of an Israelite and a non-Israelite? Deuteronomy 23. Yet apparently, biologically, David's grandmother, Ruth (Moabite) as well as his great grandmother, Rachab (Canaanite?") were non-Israelite. So how does David get away with being king. And Solomon built the temple. Solomon had his share of foreign wives as did kings of both Judah and Israel.

Quote:
Deuteronomy 23: 3An Ammonite or Moabite shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to their tenth generation shall they not enter into the congregation of the LORD for ever:

And this is also the lineage of Jesus, being: 28 generations descended from David.

One other thing that I have noted is that the purpose of Boaz marrying Ruth; "And Boaz said unto the elders, and unto all the people, Ye are witnesses this day, that I have bought all that was Elimelech's, and all that was Chilion's and Mahlon's, of the hand of Naomi.

10Moreover Ruth the Moabitess, the wife of Mahlon, have I purchased to be my wife, to raise up the name of the dead upon his inheritance, that the name of the dead be not cut off from among his brethren, and from the gate of his place: ye are witnesses this day."

Yet it is Boaz whose name is given in the genealogies. What happened to the raising up the name of Mahlon?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson Study # 7 - Boaz and Ruth: Firm FOUNDATIONS [Re: crater] #91437
08/17/07 02:04 PM
08/17/07 02:04 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
What I don't understand is, wasn't there a law pertaining to the offspring from the union of an Israelite and a non-Israelite? Deuteronomy 23. Yet apparently, biologically, David's grandmother, Ruth (Moabite) as well as his great grandmother, Rachab (Canaanite?") were non-Israelite. So how does David get away with being king. And Solomon built the temple. Solomon had his share of foreign wives as did kings of both Judah and Israel.

Today, Orthodox Judaism (whose norm is followed by the State of Israel) and Conservative Judaism adopt the matrilineal descent (the offspring is Jewish if the mother is Jewish), Reform Judaism the bilineal descent (the offspring is Jewish if either parent is Jewish), and some minor groups the patrilineal descent (the offspring is Jewish if the father is Jewish).
You can find a good analysis of the problem in the Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrilineal

However, the evidence we have is that the original rule of Jewish descent was patrilineal.

“On one occasion the son of an Israelitish woman and of an Egyptian, one of the mixed multitude that had come up with Israel from Egypt, left his own part of the camp, and entering that of the Israelites, claimed the right to pitch his tent there. This the divine law forbade him to do, the descendants of an Egyptian being excluded from the congregation until the third generation. A dispute arose between him and an Israelite, and the matter being referred to the judges was decided against the offender.” {PP 407.4}

So, if just the mother was Jewish, the offspring was not considered Jewish.

But on the other hand, as you said, we have the example of many of the Israelite kings marrying foreign princesses. This did not prevent the children of these marriages from succeeding to the throne, as was the case of Rehoboam, the son of Solomon by the Ammonite princess Naamah. Another example is the Book of Ruth, which claims such ancestry for King David himself. We also have the example of Joseph, who marries an Egyptian woman and the children, Ephraim and Menashe, are Jewish. For this to have happened, it means that if just the father was Jewish, the offspring was considered Jewish.

As to your last question, I also don't know what happened to the raising up of the name of Mahlon.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson Study # 7 - Boaz and Ruth: Firm FOUNDATIONS [Re: Rosangela] #91439
08/17/07 02:22 PM
08/17/07 02:22 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
The main application of the lesson for us today:

"Of Christ's relation to His people, there is a beautiful illustration in the laws given to Israel. When through poverty a Hebrew had been forced to part with his patrimony, and to sell himself as a bondservant, the duty of redeeming him and his inheritance fell to the one who was nearest of kin. See Lev. 25:25, 47-49; Ruth 2:20. So the work of redeeming us and our inheritance, lost through sin, fell upon Him who is 'near of kin' unto us. It was to redeem us that He became our kinsman. Closer than father, mother, brother, friend, or lover is the Lord our Saviour. 'Fear not,' He says, 'for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art Mine.' 'Since thou wast precious in My sight, thou hast been honorable, and I have loved thee: therefore will I give men for thee, and people for thy life.' Isa. 43:1, 4." {DA 327.3}

Reply Quote
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!