HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,186 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Do we enter the strait gate first and then follow the narrow way? Or, is it the other way around? #93045
11/23/07 08:27 PM
11/23/07 08:27 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
The following post is imported from a different thread:

MM: From what you wrote above, I take it you believe the gate is entered at the end of traveling the way. Seems to me, though, Jesus described it the other way around. That we must first choose which gate we want to enter before we can begin traveling the way. Once on that way, our choices are many.

TV: I understand from this that you have not read Bunyans book. Please do, its a good story and is quite orthodox in its teaching.

MM: Thank you for the suggestion. I admit it has been about 3 years since I last read Pilgrim's Progress. I have it on MP3, so hopefully I can listen to it again soon.

But I'm still wondering about Jesus' words, "strait is the gate, and narrow is the way." If this "gate" refers to the Pearly Gates of Paradise, why does Jesus call it the "strait [difficult] gate"? If, at the end of our life, Jesus invites us to "enter thou into the joy of thy lord", why would the gate be difficult to enter?

Quote:
TMK 304
A strait gate means a gate difficult to enter. {TMK 304.2}

TDG 155
We must enter in through the strait gate of self-denial, if we follow the Master. This strait, self-denying path is too narrow for many to walk in who profess godliness. {TDG 155.4}

Also, the following passages describe entering the strait gate first and then following the narrow way of self-denial and sanctification which leads to the Pearly Gates of Paradise.

Quote:
UL 234
Gospel sanctification and transformation of soul, body, and spirit sends the feet of all such through the strait gate into the narrow way, the path cast up for the ransomed of the Lord to walk in. {UL 234.5}

5T 434
Self-love and selfish ambition cannot pass the strait gate and walk the narrow, upward way. {5T 434.3}

2T 479, 480
The agonizing ones are the only ones who will urge their passage through the strait gate and narrow way that lead to life eternal, to fullness of joy and pleasures forevermore. {2T 479.2}

So, I guess I'm not alone in believing Jesus' words mean we must first enter the strait in order to follow the narrow way. To enter the strait gate we must first die to self and experience the miracle of rebirth. Jesus Himself walked the narrow way, therefore, it cannot involve sinning or gradually outgrowing our known, defective traits of character.

Do you agree?

Re: Do we enter the strait gate first and then follow the narrow way? Or, is it the other way around? [Re: Mountain Man] #93069
11/24/07 07:35 AM
11/24/07 07:35 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
The gate was Christians first waymark on his way from Destruction in PP.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Do we enter the strait gate first and then follow the narrow way? Or, is it the other way around? [Re: vastergotland] #93092
11/25/07 04:42 PM
11/25/07 04:42 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Which "gate"? The one Jesus called the "strait gate"? Or, some other the gate? If the first "gate" Christian entered was the "strait gate" then Bunyan is agreeing with what I posted above.

Bunyan's allegory depicts Christian being on the narrow way one minute and then on the broad way the next, and yet he seems to always be traveling in the same general direction, always drawing closer to the Celestial City.

I wonder if his allegory comes short in this way? Seems to me, during those times when we are on the broad road, we are going in the exact opposite direction. Do you see what I mean?

1T 127
[The narrow and broad] roads are distinct, separate, in opposite directions. One leads to eternal life, the other to eternal death. I saw the distinction between these roads, also the distinction between the companies traveling them. The roads are opposite; one is broad and smooth, the other narrow and rugged. So the parties that travel them are opposite in character, in life, in dress, and in conversation. {1T 127.1}

Re: Do we enter the strait gate first and then follow the narrow way? Or, is it the other way around? [Re: Mountain Man] #93094
11/25/07 05:15 PM
11/25/07 05:15 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
I think you would do well to read the book if we are to discuss it.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Do we enter the strait gate first and then follow the narrow way? Or, is it the other way around? [Re: vastergotland] #93097
11/25/07 05:51 PM
11/25/07 05:51 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec
Hi Mike,

As I recall the two paths lie alongside one another, and appear to head in the same direction, especially at certain points. The travellers on each feel they are both headed for the Celestial City, but one party is deceived. Those travelling the broad, smooth way see little difference in the paths, except that their choice looks less fraught with trouble, thus supposedly the wiser choice.

But their deportment is quite different from the narrow way pilgrims. One road leads up, the other down

Re: Do we enter the strait gate first and then follow the narrow way? Or, is it the other way around? [Re: gordonb1] #93131
11/26/07 04:07 PM
11/26/07 04:07 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Gordon, thanx for the info. The two paths Jesus spoke of go in opposite directions, not, as in Pilgrim's Progress, generally heading in the same direction. Thus, in Jesus' analogy one would not, while traveling on the narrow way beyond the strait gate, encounter the wide gate. The wide gate would necessarily be in the opposite direction.

On this thread, however, I am hoping to study Jesus' analogy of the two gates and the two paths, instead of John Bunyan's allegory. With this in mind, what do you think?

1. Do we enter the strait gate first and then follow the narrow way? Or, is it the other way around?

2. Once on the narrow way, the way Jesus trod, what is life like?

3. Does treading the narrow way involve sinning? Or, does sinning happen while off the narrow way?

4. How do we stay on the narrow way? How do we get off the narrow? Where are we when we're off the narrow way? How do we get back on the narrow way?

Re: Do we enter the strait gate first and then follow the narrow way? Or, is it the other way around? [Re: Mountain Man] #93150
11/26/07 11:21 PM
11/26/07 11:21 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
I think in Bunyans allegory, there is the added dimension of the journey through life aswell as the journey from death to life. The two paths move in the same direction because everyone is today one day closer to his/her death than yesterday.

Galatians 2

Re: Do we enter the strait gate first and then follow the narrow way? Or, is it the other way around? [Re: vastergotland] #93264
12/05/07 05:37 PM
12/05/07 05:37 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Gordon, what do you think?

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!