HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,594
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 13
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, 2 invisible), 2,798 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 14 of 47 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 46 47
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: vastergotland] #95656
02/14/08 05:42 PM
02/14/08 05:42 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
My evidence is your introduction of the word "arbitary" into your post. I wrote: "He will administer to each a reward in accordance with their verdict". That you then feel a need to qualify between the rewards calling one set "arbitary" is clear enough I think.

That's pretty flimsy evidence! Your claim is this:

Quote:
I remember that we have pointed out where Jesus thaught about the judgement of the wicked and their painfull demise (remember, they will be outside crying and gnashing teeth because they were thrown out), but you have disregarded it because it does not fit your view of God.

and your evidence is that I use the word "arbitrary"?

Actually, Ellen White used the word "arbitrary" in the DA quote I provided (DA 764), and I'm simply repeating it, because I think it's accurate.

As I recall, I'm the one who brought out the statements from Jesus regarding the weeping and gnashing of teeth! I'm certainly not disregarding something I myself brought out.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #95681
02/15/08 03:33 PM
02/15/08 03:33 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
This is how I have understood the situation. If I for instance say that God will judge the wicked by burning them in fire, based for instance on Jesus saying that an unfruitfull tree will be cast in fire, or on Peter writing that God will in the end judge the world in fire as He in anicent days judged it in water. Then you will say something like, 'surely God would do no such thing. Just look at Jesus, never harmed a fly did He'. This is in my opinion in disregard of what we know about Jesus comming in a different mission the first time than the one He will have the second time.

Therefore, when I say "He will administer to each a reward in accordance with their verdict", and you feel the need to qualify it with a "arbitary", I understand you to be saying as follows. My statement means that God will come in glory and in power and finally answer the questions "why does bad things happen to good people and why does good things happen to bad people" by giving rewards of life to those whom are His children, and giving punishments to those whom have rejected Him and spit on His offer to be their Father. God will do each of these by His choise and design. What I understand your objection to mean is that God comes in power and in glory to give eternal life to His children, and outch, the unlucky rebells died in action. Thus that God gives rewards to the saints by design and choise while whatever happens to the rebells is just an unlucky accident on God's part, though not so on the part of those who chose to stay rebells of course.

Therefore, if I have understood your part correctly, there is nothing flimsy in using your word "arbitary" as evidence. Just like the comma in Luke 23:43 it takes a sentence and changes its contents from one thing to something very different.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: vastergotland] #95685
02/15/08 05:06 PM
02/15/08 05:06 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
This is how I have understood the situation. If I for instance say that God will judge the wicked by burning them in fire, based for instance on Jesus saying that an unfruitfull tree will be cast in fire, or on Peter writing that God will in the end judge the world in fire as He in anicent days judged it in water. Then you will say something like, 'surely God would do no such thing. Just look at Jesus, never harmed a fly did He'. This is in my opinion in disregard of what we know about Jesus comming in a different mission the first time than the one He will have the second time.

There's a number of issues to consider here. First of all, I've not disputed that the wicked will be cast into fire, so your first assertion here is wrong. There is no doubt the wicked will be destroyed by fire, and I have asserted this very thing many times. So there's a misunderstanding which is taking place here, and I'm not sure why. You're attributing something to me I've never said, whereas I've said the reverse many times.

Secondly, the issue I've been dealing with is one of *character*. One can perform different missions, which will result in one doing different things, but one's character does not change. I have been arguing that Jesus Christ is a full revelation of God's *character*. Thus God, or Jesus Himself, will not do, nor ever has done, anything which reveals a different character than what Jesus Christ revealed while here with us in the flesh.

Quote:
Therefore, when I say "He will administer to each a reward in accordance with their verdict", and you feel the need to qualify it with a "arbitary", I understand you to be saying as follows. My statement means that God will come in glory and in power and finally answer the questions "why does bad things happen to good people and why does good things happen to bad people" by giving rewards of life to those whom are His children, and giving punishments to those whom have rejected Him and spit on His offer to be their Father. God will do each of these by His choise and design. What I understand your objection to mean is that God comes in power and in glory to give eternal life to His children, and outch, the unlucky rebells died in action. Thus that God gives rewards to the saints by design and choise while whatever happens to the rebells is just an unlucky accident on God's part, though not so on the part of those who chose to stay rebells of course.

I don't think what happens to either the saints or the wicked is arbitrary.

Quote:
"But to sit on My right hand, and on My left," He continued, "is not Mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of My Father." In the kingdom of God, position is not gained through favoritism. It is not earned, nor is it received through an arbitrary bestowal. It is the result of character. The crown and the throne are the tokens of a condition attained; they are the tokens of self-conquest through our Lord Jesus Christ. (DA 549)

This treats what happens to the righteous. The DA 764 quote treats what happens to the wicked, and points out that their destruction is not due to an arbitrary act of power on God's part, but is rather the result of their own choice. Similarly the rewards of the righteous are not due to an arbitrary act of God, but are the result of their own choice, the result of character.

In Isaiah we read:

Quote:
Who among us shall dwell with the devouring fire? who among us shall dwell with everlasting burnings? He that walketh righteously, and speaketh uprightly; (Isa. 33:14, 15)

God does not change, but is fire for both groups. The wicked, by ruining their character, unfit themselves to abide in His presence. The righteous, by not ruining their character, but rather responding to God's grace and His Spirit, walk righteously and are able to abide in God's presence, and, indeed, desire nothing more than to do so.

From the Spirit of Prophecy:

Quote:
The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked.(DA 108)

This presents the same idea. God is not acting differently, arbitrarily favoring one group over another, arbitrarily destroying one group but not another. Rather, one group receives life from the light of God's glory, while the other group is slain by it.

The meaning of "arbitrary" as I am using the word (and as Ellen White was using it in the quotes I cited) is Webster's primary definition for it, which is:

Quote:
depending on individual discretion (as of a judge) and not fixed by law

Quote:
Therefore, if I have understood your part correctly, there is nothing flimsy in using your word "arbitary" as evidence. Just like the comma in Luke 23:43 it takes a sentence and changes its contents from one thing to something very different.

Again, the use of the word "arbitrary" is not mine, in regards to both the righteous and the wicked, but borrowed by me from Ellen White, whom I believe was using the word properly and accurately. Also, it does not appear to me that you have understood my position correctly. I hope this post will help in that regard.

I think, rather than make accusations like this:

Quote:
I remember that we have pointed out where Jesus thaught about the judgement of the wicked and their painfull demise (remember, they will be outside crying and gnashing teeth because they were thrown out), but you have disregarded it because it does not fit your view of God.

it would be better to *first* understand what the position with which you are finding fault actually is.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #95694
02/15/08 09:10 PM
02/15/08 09:10 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
 Quote:

There's a number of issues to consider here. First of all, I've not disputed that the wicked will be cast into fire, so your first assertion here is wrong. There is no doubt the wicked will be destroyed by fire, and I have asserted this very thing many times. So there's a misunderstanding which is taking place here, and I'm not sure why. You're attributing something to me I've never said, whereas I've said the reverse many times.
In that case, what is your disagreement with Mike and Rosangela all about? Hot air?
 Quote:

Secondly, the issue I've been dealing with is one of *character*. One can perform different missions, which will result in one doing different things, but one's character does not change. I have been arguing that Jesus Christ is a full revelation of God's *character*. Thus God, or Jesus Himself, will not do, nor ever has done, anything which reveals a different character than what Jesus Christ revealed while here with us in the flesh.
So what character did Jesus reveal on earth? It is popular these days to think of Jesus as the teddy bear saviour. Hugg him when you feel bad and everything will be all right. Is this His true character? What would you suggest?
 Quote:

Quote:

I don't think what happens to either the saints or the wicked is arbitrary.

Quote:
"But to sit on My right hand, and on My left," He continued, "is not Mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of My Father." In the kingdom of God, position is not gained through favoritism. It is not earned, nor is it received through an arbitrary bestowal. It is the result of character. The crown and the throne are the tokens of a condition attained; they are the tokens of self-conquest through our Lord Jesus Christ. (DA 549)

Is it not so that the boldened phrase can not be true at the same time as the underlined sentence is true for the reason that a good character is earned.
 Quote:

This treats what happens to the righteous. The DA 764 quote treats what happens to the wicked, and points out that their destruction is not due to an arbitrary act of power on God's part, but is rather the result of their own choice. Similarly the rewards of the righteous are not due to an arbitrary act of God, but are the result of their own choice, the result of character.
I am begining to think that the entire issue here is that you are arguing as if the rest of us were calvinists. This use of arbitary would have a meaning if someone here was arguing in favour of the reformed version of divine election and predestination. None of us is doing that. Maybe that is why we are talking past each other?
 Quote:

In Isaiah we read:

[quote]Who among us shall dwell with the devouring fire? who among us shall dwell with everlasting burnings? He that walketh righteously, and speaketh uprightly; (Isa. 33:14, 15)

God does not change, but is fire for both groups. The wicked, by ruining their character, unfit themselves to abide in His presence. The righteous, by not ruining their character, but rather responding to God's grace and His Spirit, walk righteously and are able to abide in God's presence, and, indeed, desire nothing more than to do so.
I notice that in Peters version, not only humans but all of earth will be burned clean by this fire. You can argue that God's presence will burn away sin, but to say that God's mere presence would cause sulphuric acid to disappear from our lakes and heavy metals to disapear from our farm soil and our pesticides to disapear from everywhere between the two poles is different. (And considering the flood thread, you would be arguing that God's presence would burn away the thorns on roses and all the thistles in the world while leaving the rest of the plants unharmed).
 Quote:

From the Spirit of Prophecy:

Quote:
The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked.(DA 108)

This presents the same idea. God is not acting differently, arbitrarily favoring one group over another, arbitrarily destroying one group but not another. Rather, one group receives life from the light of God's glory, while the other group is slain by it.

The meaning of "arbitrary" as I am using the word (and as Ellen White was using it in the quotes I cited) is Webster's primary definition for it, which is:

Quote:
depending on individual discretion (as of a judge) and not fixed by law

10Now when Jesus heard this, He marveled and said to those who were following, "Truly I say to you, I have not found such great faith with anyone in Israel.
11"I say to you that many will come from east and west, and recline at the table with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven;
12but the sons of the kingdom will be cast out into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

41"The Son of Man will send forth His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all stumbling blocks, and those who commit lawlessness,
42and will throw them into the furnace of fire; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

49"So it will be at the end of the age; the angels will come forth and take out the wicked from among the righteous,
50and will throw them into the furnace of fire; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Friend, how did you come in here without wedding clothes?' And the man was speechless.
13"Then the king said to the servants, 'Bind him hand and foot, and throw him into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'
14"For many are called, but few are chosen."

In each parable or other teaching, God is active in what is going on. The sons of Israel do not want to be cast out, the stumbling blocks and the lawless ones do not want to make closer aquintance with the furnace of fire, the man did very much want to participate in the wedding feast. If I take your sentence above and remove the word "arbitarily", then its direct opposite becomes true.

"God is acting differently, favoring one group over another, destroying one group but not another. "
 Quote:

Quote:

Again, the use of the word "arbitrary" is not mine, in regards to both the righteous and the wicked, but borrowed by me from Ellen White, whom I believe was using the word properly and accurately. Also, it does not appear to me that you have understood my position correctly. I hope this post will help in that regard.

I think, rather than make accusations like this:

Quote:

it would be better to *first* understand what the position with which you are finding fault actually is.
I told you what your position looks like from my vantage point. Now I think that maybe we are not talking about the same thing at all, when the surface coating is removed.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: vastergotland] #95708
02/15/08 10:44 PM
02/15/08 10:44 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
In that case, what is your disagreement with Mike and Rosangela all about? Hot air?

No, Thomas, and there's no need for sarcasm. We've all three written quite a lot on this, so you could read it and see.

My take on things is that I don't see a lot of difference between Rosangela's position and mine. I see a great deal of difference between MM's position and mine, and between MM's position and hers. Rosangela views her position as being between MM's and mine. MM hasn't voiced his opinion on this.

The thing that I must strenuously disagree with is the idea that God will supernaturally keep the wicked alive so that he can burn them to make them suffer in punishment for their sins.

Another issue that has been discussed (regarding which both MM and Rosangela disagree with me) has to do with whether the punishments of the wicked are natural consequences or are imposed upon them by God. I view them as natural consequences. Rosangela seems to view them as imposed, although when you get down to the nitty gritty of what actually happens to the wicked, it seems to me that we are in agreement.

Quote:
So what character did Jesus reveal on earth? It is popular these days to think of Jesus as the teddy bear saviour. Hugg him when you feel bad and everything will be all right. Is this His true character? What would you suggest?

I'm not seen a Teddy Bear Savior being suggested by anyone. Where have you seen this? Can you quote something?

To give a brief answer regarding the character that Jesus revealed, I would say take a look at how He treated His enemies.

Quote:
I notice that in Peters version, not only humans but all of earth will be burned clean by this fire.

I agree with this. John seems to say the same thing.

Quote:
You can argue that God's presence will burn away sin, but to say that God's mere presence would cause sulphuric acid to disappear from our lakes and heavy metals to disapear from our farm soil and our pesticides to disapear from everywhere between the two poles is different.

I haven't suggested this, but Rosangela has (or something similar) and her ideas seem reasonable to me.

Quote:
(And considering the flood thread, you would be arguing that God's presence would burn away the thorns on roses and all the thistles in the world while leaving the rest of the plants unharmed).

You seem to have very confused ideas in regards to what I'm saying. I don't know why. Why do you think I would argue such a thing as you are suggesting? Rather than just heap up accusations one upon another, perhaps you could form some sort of argument or foundation for the things you are claiming. Like, for example, quote something I wrote, and make some sort of argument, with steps of reasoning, and the there would be something with some meat that I could respond to.

Failing that, all I can do is comment that you seem to be confused as to what I'm saying.

Quote:
In each parable or other teaching, God is active in what is going on. The sons of Israel do not want to be cast out, the stumbling blocks and the lawless ones do not want to make closer aquintance with the furnace of fire, the man did very much want to participate in the wedding feast. If I take your sentence above and remove the word "arbitarily", then its direct opposite becomes true.

These are good points, and will take some time to address adequately. I'll try to do so later tonight.

Quote:
I told you what your position looks like from my vantage point. Now I think that maybe we are not talking about the same thing at all, when the surface coating is removed.

Your telling me what my position looks like from your vantage point is well and good. I have absolutely no problem with your not agreeing with me. However, to write something like this:

Quote:

is completely uncalled for, especially without any evidence for such an accusation.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #95709
02/15/08 11:00 PM
02/15/08 11:00 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden

Quote:

I'm not seen a Teddy Bear Savior being suggested by anyone. Where have you seen this? Can you quote something?
Have you read Bonhoeffers "Dicipleship"? The contrasts that he paints in this book might illuminate some on this question.
 Quote:

To give a brief answer regarding the character that Jesus revealed, I would say take a look at how He treated His enemies.

Quote:
(And considering the flood thread, you would be arguing that God's presence would burn away the thorns on roses and all the thistles in the world while leaving the rest of the plants unharmed).

You seem to have very confused ideas in regards to what I'm saying. I don't know why. Why do you think I would argue such a thing as you are suggesting? Rather than just heap up accusations one upon another, perhaps you could form some sort of argument or foundation for the things you are claiming. Like, for example, quote something I wrote, and make some sort of argument, with steps of reasoning, and the there would be something with some meat that I could respond to.
It was previously argued that God did not create thorns and thistles but that these were a consequence of sin. If they are not part of God's creation but a result of sin, then naturally they would have to be removed just like all other things caused by sin. My view that God created roses with thorns and thistles was challenged then, but maybe things are different now.
 Quote:

Failing that, all I can do is comment that you seem to be confused as to what I'm saying.

Quote:

Your telling me what my position looks like from your vantage point is well and good. I have absolutely no problem with your not agreeing with me. However, to write something like this:

Quote:

is completely uncalled for, especially without any evidence for such an accusation.

Look, to provide you with a full case of this, I would have to read the discussions you have had with others on this topic one or two years back. I have neither the time nor the inclination to do such a laborous work with less than a good payment for my efforts.

Galatians 2

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: vastergotland] #95718
02/16/08 12:49 AM
02/16/08 12:49 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
It was previously argued that God did not create thorns and thistles but that these were a consequence of sin. If they are not part of God's creation but a result of sin, then naturally they would have to be removed just like all other things caused by sin. My view that God created roses with thorns and thistles was challenged then, but maybe things are different now.

I'm not really following what this has to do with anything, but I agree with EGW's comments on this:

Quote:
Christ never planted the seeds of death in the system. Satan planted these seeds when he tempted Adam to eat of the tree of knowledge which meant disobedience to God. Not one noxious plant was placed in the Lord's great garden, but after Adam and Eve sinned, poisonous herbs sprang up. In the parable of the sower the question was asked the master, "Didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares?" The master answered, "An enemy hath done this" (Matthew 13:27, 28). All tares are sown by the evil one. Every noxious herb is of his sowing, and by his ingenious methods of amalgamation he has corrupted the earth with tares. (2SM 288)

This makes perfect sense to me.

Quote:
Look, to provide you with a full case of this, I would have to read the discussions you have had with others on this topic one or two years back. I have neither the time nor the inclination to do such a laborous work with less than a good payment for my efforts.

Just don't make groundless accusations, and you can save yourself work. If you do make an accusation that is without merit, admit you were wrong, and retract your statement. To say you're too lazy to back up an accusation like this is not a reasonable course of action. If you just avoid accusations in the first place, that avoids the whole issue.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #95720
02/16/08 12:58 AM
02/16/08 12:58 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:

One of the basic principles in interpreting a parable is that a parable is given to make some specific point, and the rest of the parable should not be used to make theological arguments. For example, we have the parable of Lazarus and the Rich Man. The point of this parable had to do with there being consequences in the hereafter to one's actions in this life. There are those who would prove that the soul is immortal because of this parable, but that is not a proper interpretation.

Similarly, in the parables that you cite, the point is that there are consequences in the hereafter to one's actions in this life.

I agree with your point that God is active in the judgment, and that the parable teaches this. After all, it is God who resurrects the wicked, so it is pretty obvious that God is actively involved.

The question I have been raising has to do with whether the punishments that befall the wicked are imposed or not, and I don't think the parables you cited can be properly cited to support this point.

I would once again bring up Isaiah 33:14, 15 which brings out that the "everlasting burnings" is God Himself. As Ellen White points out, these everlasting burnings ("the light of the glory of God" are her actual words) impart life to the righteous, while slaying the wicked. Thus it is clear that the death of the wicked is caused not by some imposed action by God, but as a consequence of their own decisions.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #95735
02/16/08 10:42 AM
02/16/08 10:42 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Quote:

One of the basic principles in interpreting a parable is that a parable is given to make some specific point, and the rest of the parable should not be used to make theological arguments. For example, we have the parable of Lazarus and the Rich Man. The point of this parable had to do with there being consequences in the hereafter to one's actions in this life. There are those who would prove that the soul is immortal because of this parable, but that is not a proper interpretation.
Yes, parables teach specific points. I would like to point out, that the quoted passages are specificly from the part in the end where Jesus sums up what he is teaching. This is especially apparent in this case:

49"So it will be at the end of the age; the angels will come forth and take out the wicked from among the righteous,
50and will throw them into the furnace of fire; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Jesus tells a parable and then says the quote above. This is not a peripherical point, it is The point of the parable.
 Quote:

Similarly, in the parables that you cite, the point is that there are consequences in the hereafter to one's actions in this life.
No, the point is not simply a vague comment on there being consequences for what one does. It is much more specific into the nature of the consequences than that. There will be fire involved, and people in the fire will be suffering. That there will be suffering is the common thread in all of these examples. We can argue that immortality of the soul is peripherical to the Lazarus parable, but had this been something Jesus had returned to regularily, then our case would have been much, much weaker, maybe nonexistant.
 Quote:

I agree with your point that God is active in the judgment, and that the parable teaches this. After all, it is God who resurrects the wicked, so it is pretty obvious that God is actively involved.

The question I have been raising has to do with whether the punishments that befall the wicked are imposed or not, and I don't think the parables you cited can be properly cited to support this point.
And this is where paradigms come in. You chose to see the parables as not supporting an imposed judgement while many others chose to see them as supporting an imposed judgement, all based on what presuppositions one brings to it. We have come another full round in this but I predict that you will deny this being the case this time aswell.
 Quote:

I would once again bring up Isaiah 33:14, 15 which brings out that the "everlasting burnings" is God Himself. As Ellen White points out, these everlasting burnings ("the light of the glory of God" are her actual words) impart life to the righteous, while slaying the wicked. Thus it is clear that the death of the wicked is caused not by some imposed action by God, but as a consequence of their own decisions.
Let me then bring up Isaiah 2:
12For the LORD of hosts will have a day of reckoning
Against everyone who is proud and lofty
And against everyone who is lifted up,
That he may be abased.
13And it will be against all the cedars of Lebanon that are lofty and lifted up,
Against all the oaks of Bashan,
14Against all the lofty mountains,
Against all the hills that are lifted up,
15Against every high tower,
Against every fortified wall,
16Against all the ships of Tarshish
And against all the beautiful craft.
17The pride of man will be humbled
And the loftiness of men will be abased;
And the LORD alone will be exalted in that day,
18But the idols will completely vanish.
19Men will go into caves of the rocks
And into holes of the ground
Before the terror of the LORD
And the splendor of His majesty,
When He arises to make the earth tremble.
20In that day men will cast away to the moles and the bats
Their idols of silver and their idols of gold,
Which they made for themselves to worship,
21In order to go into the caverns of the rocks and the clefts of the cliffs
Before the terror of the LORD and the splendor of His majesty,
When He arises to make the earth tremble.
22Stop regarding man, whose breath of life is in his nostrils;
For why should he be esteemed?

66: 15For behold, the LORD will come in fire
And His chariots like the whirlwind,
To render His anger with fury,
And His rebuke with flames of fire.
16For the LORD will execute judgment by fire
And by His sword on all flesh,
And those slain by the LORD will be many.

Galatians 2

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: vastergotland] #95744
02/17/08 03:18 AM
02/17/08 03:18 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
And this is where paradigms come in. You chose to see the parables as not supporting an imposed judgement while many others chose to see them as supporting an imposed judgement, all based on what presuppositions one brings to it. We have come another full round in this but I predict that you will deny this being the case this time aswell.

Relying on parables to establish theology is the weakest possible argument. As to you comment that we have come another full round in this, I don't know what you're trying to say.

Perhaps you would be kind enough to spell out for me what it is you think will happen in the judgment. Do you think that angels will cast humans into fire so that they will suffer? That seems to be what you are saying. If so, I have a few questions.

1)Do the people cast in fire by angels suffer for long periods of time, or do the die right away?
2)If they do not die right away, why not? Since they don't have resurrection bodies, they should.

Rather than bringing up new points, would you please address the points I've brought up first?

You accused me of disregarding Jesus' teaching because it didn't fit in with my view of God, and when I asked for evidence, you cited my use of the word "arbitrary." However, I demonstrated that I simply borrowed the word from Ellen White, who used it in pointing out that neither the suffer of the wicked nor the reward of the righteous is arbitrary. So it seems your accusation is totally without merit. You have not addressed either the quotes I brought up from Ellen White, nor Isaiah 33.

You cited some Scripture with no commentary, so I don't know what point you are trying to make, so I cannot comment.

Page 14 of 47 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 46 47

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!