HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,091 guests, and 20 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 22 of 47 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 46 47
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #96934
03/14/08 08:34 PM
03/14/08 08:34 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
U = what God knows about His kingdom and character

C = what we "can" and "need" to know about God now

R = what Jesus revealed about God while here

TE: Christ revealed R, so Christ revealed *more* than what man can know about God, but not as much as there is to know about God.

MM: Where did this assumption come from?

This is obvious. Christ revealed all that man can know about God, but there's no reason to think that Christ revealed exactly this and nothing else. That wouldn't make any sense.

Secondly, besides being obvious, we are told by the Spirit of Prophecy that what Christ revealed settled the Great Controversy for angels and unfallen worlds. So Christ didn't simply reveal all that man can know, but, in addition to that, revealed things to holy angels and unfallen worlds.

Quote:
It makes more sense to me, in light of what Jesus said, "I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now", to conclude C and R represent the same truths about God's character and kingdom.

This doesn't follow.

Quote:
TE: What Christ revealed settled the Great Controversy ....

MM: Not entirely; otherwise, heaven and earth would be celebrating over 2,000 years of life without sin or sinners.

From EGW:

Quote:
Christ alone can do this. His gospel in the hearts and hands of His followers is the power which is to accomplish this great work. "O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God!" By Himself becoming subject to Satan's misrepresentations, Christ made it possible for the work of redemption to be accomplished. Thus was Satan to show himself to be the cause of disloyalty in God's universe. Thus was to be forever settled the great controversy between Christ and Satan.(6T 238)

The GC has been settled. It hasn't ended yet, because of man, but it's been settled for holy angels and unfallen worlds.

Quote:
TE: So you think there will be new things to learn about God that we have no idea what they even are now, and that Christ did not reveal. Is this what you're saying?

MM: I get the feeling if I simply answer, Yes, you're going to say, How can you be sure we won't learn something about God's character and kingdom we find objectionable?

No, this idea would not enter my mind. Why would you think we would find something objectionable about God? Your statements didn't address my question, I don't think. I was just curious as to if what I said is how you were interpreting the statement, and why you were saying that not everything that man can know about God was revealed by Christ. IOW, you were making the point that not everything that man will ever know about God was revealed by Christ.

However, I take it you would agree that everything that man can know about God now, at the very least, was revealed by Christ.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #96972
03/16/08 12:11 AM
03/16/08 12:11 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: This is obvious.

MM: Not to me.

TE: The GC has been settled.

MM: Aren't you leaving out an important quote?

TE: IOW, you were making the point that not everything that man will ever know about God was revealed by Christ.

MM: Correct. Jesus only revealed what we "can" and "need" to know. I'm not buying the idea that He also revealed things unfallen beings needed to know.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #96984
03/16/08 04:34 AM
03/16/08 04:34 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
What I said regarding the Great Controversy being settled by the cross is true without or without a quote. But since you asked for one, here's a couple:

Quote:
By Himself becoming subject to Satan's misrepresentations, Christ made it possible for the work of redemption to be accomplished. Thus was Satan to show himself to be the cause of disloyalty in God's universe. Thus was to be forever settled the great controversy between Christ and Satan. (6T 238)

Another one on a similar theme:

Quote:
Shall we not then exalt the cross of Christ? The angels ascribe honor and glory to Christ, for even they are not secure except by looking to the sufferings of the Son of God. It is through the efficacy of the cross that the angels of heaven are guarded from apostasy. Without the cross they would be no more secure against evil than were the angels before the fall of Satan. Angelic perfection failed in heaven. Human perfection failed in Eden, the paradise of bliss. All who wish for security in earth or heaven must look to the Lamb of God. The plan of salvation, making manifest the justice and love of God, provides an eternal safeguard against defection in unfallen worlds, as well as among those who shall be redeemed by the blood of the Lamb. (ST 12/30/89)

Quote:
Jesus only revealed what we "can" and "need" to know.

There's simply no reason to think that Jesus only revealed what human beings can or need to know. It's not even possible that He could do such a thing. For example, there are things that angels can see in Christ that we can't see, simply by virtue of the fact that they are angels and we aren't, in addition to being more intelligent than we are.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #96989
03/16/08 02:25 PM
03/16/08 02:25 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: What I said regarding the Great Controversy being settled by the cross is true without or without a quote.

MM: If all the issues and accusations were "settled" at the cross, why are we still here, why is the GC still going on, why hasn't Jesus returned yet? Also, why haven't you quoted the following:

"Yet Satan was not then destroyed. The angels did not even then understand all that was involved in the great controversy. The principles at stake were to be more fully revealed. And for the sake of man, Satan's existence must be continued. Man as well as angels must see the contrast between the Prince of light and the prince of darkness. He must choose whom he will serve. {DA 761.3}

---

TE: There's simply no reason to think that Jesus only revealed what human beings can or need to know.

MM: Why not? It's exactly what she said. "All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son. {8T 286.1}

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #96993
03/16/08 03:37 PM
03/16/08 03:37 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
TE: What I said regarding the Great Controversy being settled by the cross is true without or without a quote.

MM: If all the issues and accusations were "settled" at the cross, why are we still here, why is the GC still going on, why hasn't Jesus returned yet? Also, why haven't you quoted the following:

Although the issues have been settled for holy angels and unfallen worlds, man still has not made a decision.

Quote:
TE: There's simply no reason to think that Jesus only revealed what human beings can or need to know.

MM: Why not? It's exactly what she said. "All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son. {8T 286.1}

No, it's not. If I say to you, "every state of the U.S. is part of U.S. territory" that's does not mean the same thing as saying "any part of U.S. territory is a state."

She didn't say "Only that which can be known by man about God was revealed."

I suggest you reconsider the following:

Quote:
There's simply no reason to think that Jesus only revealed what human beings can or need to know. It's not even possible that He could do such a thing. For example, there are things that angels can see in Christ that we can't see, simply by virtue of the fact that they are angels and we aren't, in addition to being more intelligent than we are.

This is correct, and should be understandable.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #97001
03/16/08 04:58 PM
03/16/08 04:58 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: Although the issues have been settled for holy angels and unfallen worlds, man still has not made a decision.

MM: But it isn't settled in their minds. Not yet. Please read the DA 761 quote I posted above. Thank you.

---

TE: For example, there are things that angels can see in Christ that we can't see, simply by virtue of the fact that they are angels and we aren't, in addition to being more intelligent than we are.

MM: There is no evidence this is true. Her statement doesn't say so. It simply says Jesus revealed all we can know and need to know about God. She didn't include the angels in this statement.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #97015
03/17/08 03:34 AM
03/17/08 03:34 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
TE: Although the issues have been settled for holy angels and unfallen worlds, man still has not made a decision.

MM: But it isn't settled in their minds. Not yet. Please read the DA 761 quote I posted above. Thank you.

That quote doesn't say it's not settled in their minds.

Quote:
TE: For example, there are things that angels can see in Christ that we can't see, simply by virtue of the fact that they are angels and we aren't, in addition to being more intelligent than we are.

MM: There is no evidence this is true. Her statement doesn't say so. It simply says Jesus revealed all we can know and need to know about God. She didn't include the angels in this statement.

Just simple logic and a little common sense is enough to see that what I wrote is true. I gave you a simple example: "All states are a part of U. S. territory" does not mean "All U.S. territory is comprised of states."

That Christ revealed all that man can know simply does not mean, and cannot mean, that Christ only revealed what man can know. I explained one reason why. Angels, by virtue of being angles and not men, can see things revealed in Christ that men cannot see.

I don't know why you're wanting to argue about this. It doesn't really have anything to do about what we were talking about, does it? At any rate, if you can't see this is true, after these explanations, I think we'll just have to drop it.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #97026
03/17/08 03:29 PM
03/17/08 03:29 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: Just simple logic and a little common sense is enough to see that what I wrote is true.

MM: Tom, this may be enough for you, but please understand it isn't enough for me. I need a plain "Thus saith the Lord" upon which to build my faith and hope.

Also, it is obvious to me in the context of DA 761 that something is not settled in the minds of angels. Yes, they are convinced Satan is messed up and wrong about God, but they still have questions that need to be answered. The fact the GC did not end at the cross is evidence there are still issues and accusations that need to be addressed, that need to be settled. Check it out:

DA 761-763 (selected sentences)

1. The last link of sympathy between Satan and the heavenly world was broken.

2. Yet Satan was not then destroyed. The angels did not even then understand all that was involved in the great controversy.

3. The principles at stake were to be more fully revealed. And for the sake of man, Satan's existence must be continued.

4. Another deception was now to be brought forward.

5. Here will come the last conflict of the great controversy between Christ and Satan.

6. That the law which was spoken by God's own voice is faulty, that some specification has been set aside, is the claim which Satan now puts forward.

7. By substituting human law for God's law, Satan will seek to control the world. This work is foretold in prophecy.

8. Men will surely set up their laws to counterwork the laws of God. They will seek to compel the consciences of others, and in their zeal to enforce these laws they will oppress their fellow men.

9. There will be but two classes.

10. Then the end will come.

11. God will vindicate His law and deliver His people.

12. Satan and all who have joined him in rebellion will be cut off.

13. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

14. At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this.

15. But not so when the great controversy shall be ended.

16. Then the extermination of sin will vindicate God's love and establish His honor before a universe of beings who delight to do His will, and in whose heart is His law.

It appears that there are still unsettled questions about the law and the extermination of sin and sinners. Had Jesus destroyed the evil angels at the cross, before these questions are settled, they would not have understood the justice of God. They would have feared Him, and their fear would have turned into rebellion and their eventual destruction.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #97034
03/17/08 05:02 PM
03/17/08 05:02 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding the first point, the statement says, "All that man can know about God was revealed in the life and character of His Son." This *is* a "Thus saith the Lord."

At first, you seemed to be disputing that "all" means "all." Now you are wanting to add an "only" to the sentence which is not there. She did not write "Only that which man can know about God was revealed". There's no "only" in the sentence. You are adding that. Simple logic and common sense are enough to see that your added "only" doesn't fit.

Regarding the GC being settled, she wrote that the angels had things to learn, not that there was anything unsettled in their mind. The GC was about whether or not Satan's accusations had any merit. The holy angels have no doubt about that. Satan's deceptions were laid open. This is made clear in the same chapter you've been quoting from:

Quote:
"And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night." Rev. 12:10.

Satan saw that his disguise was torn away. His administration was laid open before the unfallen angels and before the heavenly universe. He had revealed himself as a murderer. By shedding the blood of the Son of God, he had uprooted himself from the sympathies of the heavenly beings. Henceforth his work was restricted. Whatever attitude he might assume, he could no longer await the angels as they came from the heavenly courts, and before them accuse Christ's brethren of being clothed with the garments of blackness and the defilement of sin. The last link of sympathy between Satan and the heavenly world was broken.(DA 761; emphasis mine)

Note that the last link of sympathy was broken. There was no more doubt regarding who was telling the truth, and thus the GC was settled. The only party for whom it is unsettled, and the only reason that time goes on, is because of man.

However, though the last link of sympathy has been broken, and the universe has been eternally secured by the sacrifice of Christ, this does not mean there are not things the angels can learn.

Quote:
By Himself becoming subject to Satan's misrepresentations, Christ made it possible for the work of redemption to be accomplished. Thus was Satan to show himself to be the cause of disloyalty in God's universe. Thus was to be forever settled the great controversy between Christ and Satan. (6T 238; emphasis mine)

Quote:
To the angels and the unfallen worlds the cry, "It is finished," had a deep significance. It was for them as well as for us that the great work of redemption had been accomplished. They with us share the fruits of Christ's victory.

Not until the death of Christ was the character of Satan clearly revealed to the angels or to the unfallen worlds.(DA 758;emphasis mine)

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #97042
03/17/08 06:21 PM
03/17/08 06:21 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: Regarding the first point, the statement says, "All that man can know about God was revealed in the life and character of His Son." This *is* a "Thus saith the Lord."

MM: Tom, do you have a reference this quote? I can't find it in my database. Thank you.

---

TE: Note that the last link of sympathy was broken. There was no more doubt regarding who was telling the truth, and thus the GC was settled. The only party for whom it is unsettled, and the only reason that time goes on, is because of man.

MM: That's not what it means to me. Yes, the last link of sympathy was severed; but this doesn't also mean that all of the accusations he raised were settled in their minds. According to DA 761-763 they still have questions about the law and the extermination of sinners with their sins in the lake of fire.

---

The following quote does not teach that these things were settled or accomplished at the cross. It is written in the future tense. Surely you agree our redemption was not completed at the cross.

"Christ alone can do this. His gospel in the hearts and hands of His followers is the power [1] which is to accomplish this great work. "O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God!" By Himself becoming subject to Satan's misrepresentations, Christ made it possible for the work of redemption [2] to be accomplished. [3] Thus was Satan to show himself to be the cause of disloyalty in God's universe. [4] Thus was to be forever settled the great controversy between Christ and Satan. {6T 238.1}

The holy angels were ready and willing for the GC to end long before the death of Christ on the cross. On several occasions they were ready and willing to destroy the evil angels along with evil humans. At the cross, though, they were even more ready and willing to do it. But, Father knows best. They will not be truly ready for the extermination of sinners with their sins in the lake of fire until after the 144,000 make their final stand.

Page 22 of 47 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 46 47

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!