HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,595
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, 2 invisible), 2,951 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 36 of 39 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 39
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: vastergotland] #97556
03/31/08 06:04 PM
03/31/08 06:04 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Ok. As I pointed out, I was just pointing something out it looked to me like you might have missed. I'll let David respond to your comment that responded to his post if he wishes.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: vastergotland] #97558
03/31/08 07:41 PM
03/31/08 07:41 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
I think some clarifications would be in order about points which were raised.

Ellen White’s parallels between the disciples and Miller in The Great Controversy are the following:

Both the disciples and Miller were preaching about the same prophecy. The disciples were preaching about the end of the 70 weeks – the first period of the prophecy.
Miller was preaching about the end of the 2300 days – the last period of the prophecy.

Jesus told the disciples He would establish the kingdom of God at the middle of the 70th week. They interpreted it to mean that He would establish it by becoming a king, but in fact He would establish it by dying on the cross.
The prophecy of Dan. 8 said that after the 2300 days the sanctuary would be cleansed. Miller interpreted this as meaning the earth would be cleansed by Christ’s coming, but in fact the prophecy referred to the cleansing of the heavenly sanctuary.

Many rejected the message of the disciples, not because they didn’t want a Messiah-King, but because they didn’t want a Messiah-King like Jesus (see John 19:15). He didn’t fit their profile, because He associated Himself with sinners and did not agree with the rules of the dominant class.
In the case of Miller, many rejected his message, not because they saw any error in Miller’s exposition of the prophecy (notice that there is no account of anyone saying he was wrong on this point), but because the message Miller was preaching didn’t fit their profile of the coming of Christ. They didn’t want His coming to occur immediately, but expected a millennium of peace and the conversion of the world before it.

“Adventists did not discover the error, nor was it discovered by the most learned of their opponents. The latter said: ‘Your reckoning of the prophetic periods is correct. Some great event is about to take place; but it is not what Mr. Miller predicts; it is the conversion of the world, and not the second advent of Christ.’" (GC 373, 374).

What Ellen White said about the shut door:

"For a time after the disappointment in 1844, I did hold, in common with the advent body, that the door of mercy was then forever closed to the world. This position was taken before my first vision was given me. It was the light given me of God that corrected our error, and enabled us to see the true position.
I am still a believer in the shut-door theory, but not in the sense in which we at first employed the term or in which it is employed by my opponents.
There was a shut door in Noah's day. ...
There was a shut door in the days of Abraham. Mercy ceased to plead with the inhabitants of Sodom. ...
There was a shut door in Christ's day. The Son of God declared to the unbelieving Jews of that generation, ‘Your house is left unto you desolate’ (Matt. 23:38).
I was shown in vision, and I still believe, that there was a shut door in 1844. ... Those who did not see the light, had not the guilt of its rejection. It was only the class who had despised the light from heaven that the Spirit of God could not reach.” {1SM 63, 64}

Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: tall73] #97559
03/31/08 07:57 PM
03/31/08 07:57 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
And yet that is how the author represents it in Hebrews. And in fact we see God specifically say to David that his sin is forgiven--then--not many years later, in the account with Bathsheba.

Forgiven, yes. Although the figure of God blotting out sins does occur in the OT, the idea certainly is not literal, or at least it does not apply to that time, for later Christ would still die "for the redemption of the transgressions under the old covenant" (Heb. 9:15).

Quote:
And as to the cleansing before the sin was committed, you have the same issue in the sacrifice. Were sacrifices offered for sins not yet committed? The sacrifice came AFTER the sin.

Because the sacrifice was presented only after the sinner had repented. However, on the cross, Christ paid the penalty for the sins of the whole world, independently of the individual acceptance of this sacrifice. Thus, forgiveness through the sacrifice of Christ was provisional, and that’s why it could have been done in advance. But His mediation – the application of the blood - involves the personal appropriation of this sacrifice by the sinner. It couldn’t have been done corporately and in advance. There is, indeed, an aspect in which Christ is bearing the sins of all people, preventing the wrath of God to fall upon the world. But this is different from His intercession in behalf of His people.

Quote:
It was a corporate cleansing.

How can sins be blotted out in advance? After sins are blotted out, they virtually cease to exist – there can be no registry of them in the heavenly books.

Quote:
Now, let's look at your questions. Do you not hold that the inauguration was a cleansing as you indicated? From what? If there were no sacrifices yet how were the sins transferred?

Cleansing here just meant inauguration, or dedication. I don’t think there were any sins on the mosaic tabernacle before its dedication.

Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: Rosangela] #97564
03/31/08 09:39 PM
03/31/08 09:39 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding post #97558, these were the thoughts I had in mind. I was asking questions to try to get to the points that Rosangela detailed. In particular, she brings out the issue of what it is that people were disagreeing with in regards to Miller's preaching. As in the case of the disciple's preaching (and any messenger sent of God), this is an important point to consider.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: vastergotland] #97640
04/02/08 03:31 PM
04/02/08 03:31 PM
D
djconklin  Offline
S. St. Paul, MN
 Quote:
 Quote:
 Quote:

That is your prophet's claim and up to you to show.

_I_ do NOT have a prophet. EGW did not call herself a prophet and neither should anyone else.

Semantics. Let's look at what she said:

It is actually quite simple: you said "your prophet," I noted that I do not have a prophet. It is not a question of semantics but of fact. I do not call EGW a prophet.

Quote:
And indeed many people do refer to her with the common designation of prophet.

Now whether you personally hold her to be inspired I can't say.

Two different things and you don't find truth by counting noses.

Quote:
 Quote:
I think you meant 1840's.

No, I meant 1840 when his book was published.

Ah, I can't read minds. Your original statement said "I have already quoted one minister who seemed quite sincere and seemed to love Jesus who referenced the definite time in 1840." which to me implies that they believed Jesus would return in 1840.

Quote:
Is your position that EVERY minister who objected based on the Scripture was false?

I don't make the assumption that their objection was based on Scripture.

Quote:
 Quote:
 Quote:

But in the final analysis they were right. The time set was wrong.

Yes and no. The time was right, the event was wrong.

Even Adventist don't claim anything happened in 1843,

That's not standard SDA teaching.

Quote:
 Quote:
 Quote:

And rather than accepting that rebuke Ellen blamed God and said He was behind the time, using it as a test to judge all those who were right when she and her group were wrong.

The conclusion is false.

What conclusion is false?

bolded for you

Quote:
The other quote was apparently for someone else, so I will let them address it.

Correct. I thought the "===" was a sufficient hint.

David J. Conklin

When the critics have been proven to be so wrong, on so many points, and some are quite simple, why should we listen to them on anything?
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: vastergotland] #97641
04/02/08 03:34 PM
04/02/08 03:34 PM
D
djconklin  Offline
S. St. Paul, MN
 Quote:
 Quote:
 Quote:

Throughout Scripture, there has always been a denominated, or visible, body of Christ, and an invisible one. The true descendants of Abraham (true Jews, one could say) were the ones who accepted Christ, even if they were Gentiles. The purpose God had in mind for the Jewish nation, a denominated body, was to give a message to the world to prepare the way for the coming Messiah.

Similarly, the SDA church is a denominated body, with a given purpose to likewise give a message.

That is the theory. The truth? Not in the same ball court.

History has already shown otherwise.

History has shown that SDA rather than christianity as a whole is Gods organised body on earth?[/quote]

I didn't make any reference to Christianity as a whole, nor was there any reference in what was quoted to Christainity as a whole.

Quote:
You have to do more than merely state it for there to be any weight to your words.

You didn't.

David J. Conklin

When the critics have been proven to be so wrong, on so many points, and some are quite simple, why should we listen to them on anything?
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: djconklin] #97642
04/02/08 03:35 PM
04/02/08 03:35 PM
D
djconklin  Offline
S. St. Paul, MN
Kai Arasola notes in his dissertation The End of Historicism that "most of Miller's opponents agreed with his method" and that they recognized his "Scriptural and historical information." (page 169, footnote 2).

David J. Conklin

Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: djconklin] #97666
04/02/08 09:43 PM
04/02/08 09:43 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: djconklin
 Quote:
 Quote:
 Quote:

Throughout Scripture, there has always been a denominated, or visible, body of Christ, and an invisible one. The true descendants of Abraham (true Jews, one could say) were the ones who accepted Christ, even if they were Gentiles. The purpose God had in mind for the Jewish nation, a denominated body, was to give a message to the world to prepare the way for the coming Messiah.

Similarly, the SDA church is a denominated body, with a given purpose to likewise give a message./quote
That is the theory. The truth? Not in the same ball court.

History has already shown otherwise.

History has shown that SDA rather than christianity as a whole is Gods organised body on earth?

I didn't make any reference to Christianity as a whole, nor was there any reference in what was quoted to Christainity as a whole.
And that is exactly where the error is. Tom wrote in the first quoted post of our list about the heirs of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, the tribes of Israel being the denominated, visible body of Christ. Then following Jesus the true descendants were those who accepted Jesus. Then he compared this, the position and inheritance of Israel with, not christianity as he ought have done but with the SDA church which he ought not have done. Thus not saying, but non the less implying that SDA is carrying the fallen mantle of Israel as Elisha carried Elijahs. This is the problem which you to all appearances support. IMO you are both wrong for this.
 Quote:

Quote:
You have to do more than merely state it for there to be any weight to your words.

You didn't.
I shared my view and you objected to it. On who is the burden of proof really?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: vastergotland] #97677
04/03/08 12:50 AM
04/03/08 12:50 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Then he compared this, the position and inheritance of Israel with, not christianity as he ought have done but with the SDA church which he ought not have done.

I think this is not putting what I said in its proper context. But setting that aside, the position of the SDA church has been, I think always, that in Revelation, where it speaks of a people that "have the commandments of Jesus and the testimony of Jesus Christ" that this refers to a denominated, or visible, body that keeps the commandments of God. Christianity as a whole does not recognize the Sabbath commandment. Much of Revelation is concerned with this fact.

SDAism has taught that the SDA church has been given a special message to give to the world, which is represented by 3 angels. You can see the 3 angels in front of many churches. So I'm not saying anything unusual, in regards to SDAism, am I? Maybe your point is that SDA's have it wrong. If that's your point, I disagree. I think God has given this church a special task to give the world a message to prepare for the coming of Christ.

Now if you were to question how well the church has done in regards to this, I would agree, but as to the question of whether or not SDA's have been given a special task, I believe they have, and that the usual arguments to demonstrate this point are sound.

I wasn't raised an SDA, and had to consider carefully all these things before coming one.

Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: Tom] #97691
04/03/08 06:56 AM
04/03/08 06:56 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Wether SDA has been given a special message for the world is not the same question as saying that SDA is God's only organised body on earth today. That SDA is not the sum of the body of Christ organised but only a part does not negate that SDA has a message to deliver. It does however negate that SDA would be the only ones with a message to deliver or even being the only ones with this particular 3 angels message.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Page 36 of 39 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 39

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!