HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,173 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 32 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 31 32
Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #99439
05/17/08 08:00 PM
05/17/08 08:00 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, thank you for that enlightening study on the light of the glory of God. I appreciate all the time and effort you invested. I did a similar search. In many cases the word “light” refers to the truth. In other cases it refers to godly traits of character. And in some cases it refers to a divine physical form of light, and has been witnessed in different settings – in the air, around the throne, or reflected on people’s faces, as in the cases of Jesus, Moses, Stephen, etc.

It is evident in Scripture that God must regulate the intensity of the divine light that radiates from His physical form; otherwise, sinful flesh cannot endure it, cannot survive in its presence. The best example of this is the following passage:

Quote:
Exodus
33:17 And the LORD said unto Moses, I will do this thing also that thou hast spoken: for thou hast found grace in my sight, and I know thee by name.
33:18 And he said, I beseech thee, show me thy glory.
33:19 And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy.
33:20 And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live.
33:21 And the LORD said, Behold, [there is] a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock:
33:22 And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by:
33:23 And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.

34:5 And the LORD descended in the cloud, and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the LORD.
34:6 And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth,
34:7 Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear [the guilty]; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth [generation].
34:8 And Moses made haste, and bowed his head toward the earth, and worshipped.

34:29 And it came to pass, when Moses came down from mount Sinai with the two tables of testimony in Moses' hand, when he came down from the mount, that Moses wist not that the skin of his face shone while he talked with him.
34:30 And when Aaron and all the children of Israel saw Moses, behold, the skin of his face shone; and they were afraid to come nigh him.
34:31 And Moses called unto them; and Aaron and all the rulers of the congregation returned unto him: and Moses talked with them.
34:32 And afterward all the children of Israel came nigh: and he gave them in commandment all that the LORD had spoken with him in mount Sinai.
34:33 And [till] Moses had done speaking with them, he put a veil on his face.
34:34 But when Moses went in before the LORD to speak with him, he took the veil off, until he came out. And he came out, and spake unto the children of Israel [that] which he was commanded.
34:35 And the children of Israel saw the face of Moses, that the skin of Moses' face shone: and Moses put the veil upon his face again, until he went in to speak with him.

The interesting thing about this story is the effect that the light that radiates from God’s physical person had upon Moses’ exposed skin, his face. It made the skin on his face shine. And the light was so intense he had to wear veil to prevent it from hurting those around him.

From this I am encouraged to conclude that the light that radiates from God’s physical person is so intense that it causes sinful flesh to consume away like wax. “Their flesh shall consume away while they stand upon their feet, and their eyes shall consume away in their holes, and their tongue shall consume away in their mouth.” Thus, God is forced to hide the full intensity of radiant glory or we shall melt in His presence.

The following passages represent the different forms and effects of the light that radiates from God's physical person:

DA 137
The next day John sees Jesus coming. With the light of the glory of God resting upon him, the prophet stretches out his hands, declaring, "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world! {DA 137.1}

EW 198
As Stephen stood before his judges, the light of the glory of God rested upon his countenance. "And all that sat in the council, looking steadfastly on him, saw his face as it had been the face of an angel." {EW 198.1}

LHU 78
Direct from the throne proceeded the light of the glory of God. The heavens were opened, and beams of light and glory proceeded therefrom and assumed the form of a dove, in appearance like burnished gold. {LHU 78.5}

ML 33
Let us raise our eyes to the open door of the sanctuary above, where the light of the glory of God shines in the face of Christ, who "is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by Him." {ML 33.5}

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #99440
05/17/08 08:05 PM
05/17/08 08:05 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
 Quote:
TE: Everything I've seen about God's being a consuming fire has to do with sin, but Jesus was sinless, so why should He be consumed? I guess because He had flesh, but why should having flesh cause Him to be consumed by God's physical presence?

MM: Jesus became sin for us; thus, His sinful flesh humanity wold have consumed in the unveiled physical presence of God.

You've argued in other posts that the flesh of itself cannot sin. When she writes about God's glory consuming, she speaks of Jesus Christ as being the one who exemplifies this!!

Quote:
The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked.

In the time of John the Baptist, Christ was about to appear as the revealer of the character of God. His very presence would make manifest to men their sin. Only as they were willing to be purged from sin could they enter into fellowship with Him. Only the pure in heart could abide in His presence. (DA 108)

See, this is speaking of Jesus Christ as the revealer of the character of God. He is the light of the glory of God that gives life to the righteous but slays the wicked, because He is the revealer of God's character. Notice it says that only the pure in heart could abide in His presence.

And yet Judas abode in the unveiled presence of Jesus without ill effect. Not so with Moses. God was forced to veil His face because it would have consumed the flesh right off Moses; as it was, seeing God's "back parts" caused the skin on Moses' face to shine so brightly that those around him could not bear to behold it.

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #99442
05/17/08 10:10 PM
05/17/08 10:10 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: God reveals the truth to them, and that stops them in their tracks. You claim that the truth does not cause the wicked to desire death, but it's easy to see that it does.

MM: Not according to the passage I quoted above. It says the exact opposite. Neither the truth nor the brightness of God's glory causes the sinners to die or to desire death. Instead, they are motivated to marshal their forces to take the New Jerusalem by force. It's right there in black and white, Tom.

Later on, in the same chapter, after the Great White Throne judgment is ended, they turn upon one another. In the throes of this slaughter, God causes fire from above and below to engulf the planet. Sinners suffer in duration and in proportion to their sinfulness. The same fires burn up the rubble of earth along with the wicked dead. The truth, therefore, is far from what you wrote. Instead, everything that happens to them after the second resurrection causes them to fight - not desire death.

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #99443
05/17/08 10:11 PM
05/17/08 10:11 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: The whole Great Controversy is about making clear the truth about God's character. The whole purpose of Jesus' mission was the revelation of God's character.

MM: Not at the end of time. By then the GC will have been settled. The only thing left to do is to execute the death penalty on those sinners who rejected Jesus. Common phrases like "the execution of judgment" and "the execution of the death penalty" make it clear that resurrected sinners will not die of natural causes. When someone dies of natural causes nobody says, God executed the death penalty on them.

For example, here's how Sister White uses the phrase: "Under the Roman rule the Sanhedrin could not execute the sentence of death." (DA 698) It should be obvious from the context that executing the death sentence means killing someone - not allowing them to die of natural causes. Here it is again:

GC 299
"Behold," he declared, "the Lord cometh with ten thousands of His saints, to execute judgment upon all." Jude 14, 15. {GC 299}

EW 52
Said the angel, "It is the wrath of God and the Lamb that causes the destruction or death of the wicked. At the voice of God the saints will be mighty and terrible as an army with banners, but they will not then execute the judgment written. The execution of the judgment will be at the close of the one thousand years." {EW 52.1}

---

TE: Everything I've seen about God's being a consuming fire has to do with sin, but Jesus was sinless, so why should He be consumed? I guess because He had flesh, but why should having flesh cause Him to be consumed by God's physical presence?

MM: Jesus became sin for us; thus, His sinful flesh humanity wold have consumed in the unveiled physical presence of God. "To sin, wherever found, 'our God is a consuming fire.'" Of course, Jesus' divinity would not have been consumed.

"Their flesh shall consume away while they stand upon their feet, and their eyes shall consume away in their holes, and their tongue shall consume away in their mouth." (Zech 14:12) This is what happens to sinful flesh when it is exposed to the unveiled brightness of God.

---

TE: I didn't see anything in the passage about this. I looked a little bit in EGW's writings, and couldn't find anywhere that made this assertion. Do you have some passage in mind that talks about the wicked wanting to gain access to the tree of life say they can live forever?

MM: Again, the passage posted above describes what happens after Jesus raises the wicked at the end of time:

1) they see the glory of God without being consumed by it,

2) the force of truth causes them to acknowledge Jesus without it causing them to seek death,

3) they prepare to take the New Jerusalem by force, and

4) the brightness of God's glory encompasses the earth and sinners without causing them to die.

First of all, please notice that neither the truth nor the brightness of God's glory causes the sinners to die or to desire death. This totally refutes your assertions, right? Next, in spite of being exposed to the truth and the light of God's brightness, they marshal their forces to take the New Jerusalem by force. Thus, again, disproving your claims.

Now, why are they motivated to take the New Jerusalem by force? Why do they want to occupy it? Inside the city is the tree of life, right? Is it stretching the truth too much to imagine them wanting free access to the tree of life in order to live forever? I don't think so. In light of the following insights, it makes perfect sense to me:

SR 27
His followers were seeking him, and he aroused himself and, assuming a look of defiance, informed them of his plans to wrest from God the noble Adam and his companion Eve. If he could in any way beguile them to disobedience, God would make some provision whereby they might be pardoned, and then himself and all the fallen angels would be in a fair way to share with them of God's mercy. If this should fail, they could unite with Adam and Eve, for when once they should transgress the law of God they would be subjects of God's wrath, like themselves. Their transgression would place them, also, in a state of rebellion, and they could unite with Adam and Eve, take possession of Eden, and hold it as their home. And if they could gain access to the tree of life in the midst of the garden, their strength would, they thought, be equal to that of the holy angels, and even God Himself could not expel them. {SR 27.3}

EW 51
I was pointed to Adam and Eve in Eden. They partook of the forbidden tree and were driven from the garden, and then the flaming sword was placed around the tree of life, lest they should partake of its fruit and be immortal sinners. The tree of life was to perpetuate immortality. I heard an angel ask, "Who of the family of Adam have passed the flaming sword and have partaken of the tree of life?" I heard another angel answer, "Not one of Adam's family has passed that flaming sword and partaken of that tree; therefore there is not an immortal sinner. The soul that sinneth it shall die an everlasting death--a death that will last forever, from which there will be no hope of a resurrection; and then the wrath of God will be appeased. {EW 51.2}

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #99451
05/18/08 02:52 AM
05/18/08 02:52 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, thank you for that enlightening study on the light of the glory of God. I appreciate all the time and effort you invested. I did a similar search. In many cases the word “light” refers to the truth. In other cases it refers to godly traits of character. And in some cases it refers to a divine physical form of light, and has been witnessed in different settings – in the air, around the throne, or reflected on people’s faces, as in the cases of Jesus, Moses, Stephen, etc.

Regarding Moses' face shining, here are some SOP statements:

Quote:
Soon we heard the voice of God like many waters, which gave us the day and hour of Jesus' coming. The living saints, 144,000 in number, knew and understood the voice, while the wicked thought it was thunder and an earthquake. When God spoke the time, He poured upon us the Holy Ghost, and our faces began to light up and shine with the glory of God, as Moses' did when he came down from Mount Sinai. Christian Experience and Teachings of Ellen G. White (1922), page 58

Note the faces of the 144,000 shine with the glory of God, as did Moses', because of being filled by the Holy Ghost.

Quote:
During that long time spent in communion with God, the face of Moses had reflected the glory of the divine Presence; unknown to himself his face shone with a dazzling light when he descended from the mountain. Such a light illumined the countenance of Stephen when brought before his judges; "and all that sat in the council, looking stedfastly on him, saw his face as it had been the face of an angel" (Acts 6:15).” (To Be Like Jesus 35)

Note that Stephen's face shone like Moses' did. What is it that causes this shining of the face? Clearly it's not a physical manifestation of God, but a spiritual one.

Quote:
By this brightness God designed to impress upon Israel the sacred, exalted character of His law, and the glory of the gospel revealed through Christ. While Moses was in the mount, God presented to him, not only the tables of the law, but also the plan of salvation. He saw that the sacrifice of Christ was prefigured by all the types and symbols of the Jewish age; and it was the heavenly light streaming from Calvary, no less than the glory of the law of God, that shed such a radiance upon the face of Moses. That divine illumination symbolized the glory of the dispensation of which Moses was the visible mediator, a representative of the one true Intercessor. (ibid 35)

This explains further the spiritual nature of this light of glory reflected on Moses' face.

Quote:
The glory upon the face of Moses was exceedingly painful to the children of Israel because of their transgression of God's holy law. This is an illustration of the feelings of those who violate the law of God. They desire to remove from its penetrating light which is a terror to the transgressor, while it seems holy, just, and good to the loyal. (1SM 232)

This ties into our discussion regarding the destruction of the wicked. Notice the similarity to the statement in DA 107, 108. To the righteous, the light is desirable. But to the unrighteous, the light is painful. Why? Because they have sinful flesh? No, since the righteous also have sinful flesh. It is a "penetrating light" which is a terror to the transgressor.

Do you see what's going on, MM? This light is light which opens the soul.

Quote:
As soon as the books of record are opened, and the eye of Jesus looks upon the wicked, they are conscious of every sin which they have ever committed. They see just where their feet diverged from the path of purity and holiness, just how far pride and rebellion have carried them in the violation of the law of God. The seductive temptations which they encouraged by indulgence in sin, the blessings perverted, the messengers of God despised, the warnings rejected, the waves of mercy beaten back by the stubborn, unrepentant heart--all appear as if written in letters of fire. (GC 666)

This is the same thing. This is the light of the glory of God. It's a revelation of the truth by Jesus Christ. Notice that what Christ reveals "all appear as if written in letters of fire."

Jesus Christ is the light of the glory of God, who gives life to the righteous, but slays the wicked. Notice the revelation of truth "all appear as if written in letters of fire." This is the fire that comes down from heaven that destroys the wicked.

This is a spiritual truth, MM. The fire, the light of the glory of God, are spiritual things, spiritual manifestations.

How can God communicate spiritual truths in a vision? He does so by physical symbols. It's up to us to interpret these symbols. God has certainly given us more than an ample amount of material to do so.

Jesus Christ is the light of the glory of God. It is He who gives life to the righteous. Notice when the unrighteous are advancing upon the city, what happens to stop them?

Quote:
At last the order to advance is given, and the countless host moves on--an army such as was never summoned by earthly conquerors, such as the combined forces of all ages since war began on earth could never equal. ... With military precision the serried ranks advance over the earth's broken and uneven surface to the City of God. By command of Jesus, the gates of the New Jerusalem are closed, and the armies of Satan surround the city and make ready for the onset.

Now Christ again appears to the view of His enemies. Far above the city, upon a foundation of burnished gold, is a throne, high and lifted up. Upon this throne sits the Son of God, and around Him are the subjects of His kingdom. The power and majesty of Christ no language can describe, no pen portray.

It is the uplifting of Jesus Christ! Not force, but light. Not physical light, but spiritual light, namely the "light of the world."

Let's go back to DA 108 for a moment:

[quote]The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked.In the time of John the Baptist, Christ was about to appear as the revealer of the character of God. His very presence would make manifest to men their sin.[quote]

See how this all ties together? Jesus Christ, the revealer of the character of God, is the light of the glory of God. "light" = "revealer"; "character" = "glory." It all fits together wonderfully.

I hope you see the light. \:\)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #99452
05/18/08 03:12 AM
05/18/08 03:12 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
And yet Judas abode in the unveiled presence of Jesus without ill effect. Not so with Moses. God was forced to veil His face because it would have consumed the flesh right off Moses; as it was, seeing God's "back parts" caused the skin on Moses' face to shine so brightly that those around him could not bear to behold it.

First of all, regarding Jesus:

Quote:
So Christ was to come in "the body of our humiliation" (Philippians 3:21, R. V.), "in the likeness of men." In the eyes of the world He possessed no beauty that they should desire Him; yet He was the incarnate God, the light of heaven and earth. His glory was veiled, His greatness and majesty were hidden, that He might draw near to sorrowful, tempted men.(DA 23)

Jesus' glory was veiled.

Regarding Moses, I've dealt with most of this in detail, but I'll make one more point. The glory of God is His character. I'm not understanding how you're missing this in regards to Moses. This can be plainly seen from Scripture. Moses asked God to reveal His glory, and the Lord caused His goodness to pass before him. The Lord revealed His character to Moses. This is very clear.

EGW explains the same thing.

Quote:
The glory of God is His character. While Moses was in the mount, earnestly interceding with God, He prayed, "I beseech Thee, show me Thy glory." In answer God declared "I will make all My goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the Lord before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy."

The glory of God--His character--was then revealed: "The Lord passed by before him, and proclaimed, The Lord, The Lord God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth, keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty."

This character was revealed in the life of Christ. That He might by His own example condemn sin in the flesh, He took upon Himself the likeness of sinful flesh. Constantly He beheld the character of God; constantly He revealed this character to the world. (ST 9/3/02)

That Moses could only see the backside of God is signifying that He could only receive a partial revelation of God's character. It's not talking about God's literal backside. What Moses saw was God's character. What caused his face to shine, was the revelation of God's character.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #99453
05/18/08 03:18 AM
05/18/08 03:18 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding #99442, you said that it is only literal fire from heaven that stops the wicked from advancing upon the city. But this is wrong. It is the uplifting of Jesus Christ which stops them.

What caused rebellion in the first place was confusion regarding the character of God. The revelation of the God's character stops it.

That the wicked choose death is stated in DA 764. GC 543 also tells us that their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves, while DA 759, and many other passages, tell us that force is not a principle of God's government, but rather of Satan's, and that the rebellion is not overcome by force.

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #99454
05/18/08 03:33 AM
05/18/08 03:33 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
First of all, please notice that neither the truth nor the brightness of God's glory causes the sinners to die or to desire death.

According to DA 108, the light of the glory of God "slays the wicked." According to DA 764 and GC 543, the unrighteous chose death, and voluntarily choose to be excluded from heaven.

Quote:
This totally refutes your assertions, right?

No, it doesn't. My assertions are clear from DA 764 and GC 543.

Quote:
Next, in spite of being exposed to the truth and the light of God's brightness, they marshal their forces to take the New Jerusalem by force. Thus, again, disproving your claims.

You've got the events backwards. The revelation of truth and light comes *after* they marshal their forces to take the New Jerusalem by force, not before.

Quote:
Now, why are they motivated to take the New Jerusalem by force? Why do they want to occupy it? Inside the city is the tree of life, right? Is it stretching the truth too much to imagine them wanting free access to the tree of life in order to live forever? I don't think so. In light of the following insights, it makes perfect sense to me:

It looks like GC 663 explains why the New Jerusalem is attacked.

Quote:
The wicked are Satan's captives. In rejecting Christ they have accepted the rule of the rebel leader. They are ready to receive his suggestions and to do his bidding. Yet, true to his early cunning, he does not acknowledge himself to be Satan. He claims to be the prince who is the rightful owner of the world and whose inheritance has been unlawfully wrested from him. He represents himself to his deluded subjects as a redeemer, assuring them that his power has brought them forth from their graves and that he is about to rescue them from the most cruel tyranny. The presence of Christ having been removed, Satan works wonders to support his claims. He makes the weak strong and inspires all with his own spirit and energy. He proposes to lead them against the camp of the saints and to take possession of the City of God. With fiendish exultation he points to the unnumbered millions who have been raised from the dead and declares that as their leader he is well able to overthrow the city and regain his throne and his kingdom.

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #99466
05/18/08 02:37 PM
05/18/08 02:37 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:

Regarding Moses' face shining, here are some SOP statements:

Quote:
Soon we heard the voice of God like many waters, which gave us the day and hour of Jesus' coming. The living saints, 144,000 in number, knew and understood the voice, while the wicked thought it was thunder and an earthquake. When God spoke the time, He poured upon us the Holy Ghost, and our faces began to light up and shine with the glory of God, as Moses' did when he came down from Mount Sinai. Christian Experience and Teachings of Ellen G. White (1922), page 58

Note the faces of the 144,000 shine with the glory of God, as did Moses', because of being filled by the Holy Ghost.

Quote:
During that long time spent in communion with God, the face of Moses had reflected the glory of the divine Presence; unknown to himself his face shone with a dazzling light when he descended from the mountain. Such a light illumined the countenance of Stephen when brought before his judges; "and all that sat in the council, looking stedfastly on him, saw his face as it had been the face of an angel" (Acts 6:15).” (To Be Like Jesus 35)

Note that Stephen's face shone like Moses' did. What is it that causes this shining of the face? Clearly it's not a physical manifestation of God, but a spiritual one.

Quote:
By this brightness God designed to impress upon Israel the sacred, exalted character of His law, and the glory of the gospel revealed through Christ. While Moses was in the mount, God presented to him, not only the tables of the law, but also the plan of salvation. He saw that the sacrifice of Christ was prefigured by all the types and symbols of the Jewish age; and it was the heavenly light streaming from Calvary, no less than the glory of the law of God, that shed such a radiance upon the face of Moses. That divine illumination symbolized the glory of the dispensation of which Moses was the visible mediator, a representative of the one true Intercessor. (ibid 35)

This explains further the spiritual nature of this light of glory reflected on Moses' face.

Quote:
The glory upon the face of Moses was exceedingly painful to the children of Israel because of their transgression of God's holy law. This is an illustration of the feelings of those who violate the law of God. They desire to remove from its penetrating light which is a terror to the transgressor, while it seems holy, just, and good to the loyal. (1SM 232)

This ties into our discussion regarding the destruction of the wicked. Notice the similarity to the statement in DA 107, 108. To the righteous, the light is desirable. But to the unrighteous, the light is painful. Why? Because they have sinful flesh? No, since the righteous also have sinful flesh. It is a "penetrating light" which is a terror to the transgressor.

Do you see what's going on, MM? This light is light which opens the soul.

Quote:
As soon as the books of record are opened, and the eye of Jesus looks upon the wicked, they are conscious of every sin which they have ever committed. They see just where their feet diverged from the path of purity and holiness, just how far pride and rebellion have carried them in the violation of the law of God. The seductive temptations which they encouraged by indulgence in sin, the blessings perverted, the messengers of God despised, the warnings rejected, the waves of mercy beaten back by the stubborn, unrepentant heart--all appear as if written in letters of fire. (GC 666)

This is the same thing. This is the light of the glory of God. It's a revelation of the truth by Jesus Christ. Notice that what Christ reveals "all appear as if written in letters of fire."

Jesus Christ is the light of the glory of God, who gives life to the righteous, but slays the wicked. Notice the revelation of truth "all appear as if written in letters of fire." This is the fire that comes down from heaven that destroys the wicked.

This is a spiritual truth, MM. The fire, the light of the glory of God, are spiritual things, spiritual manifestations.

How can God communicate spiritual truths in a vision? He does so by physical symbols. It's up to us to interpret these symbols. God has certainly given us more than an ample amount of material to do so.

Jesus Christ is the light of the glory of God. It is He who gives life to the righteous. Notice when the unrighteous are advancing upon the city, what happens to stop them?

Quote:
At last the order to advance is given, and the countless host moves on--an army such as was never summoned by earthly conquerors, such as the combined forces of all ages since war began on earth could never equal. ... With military precision the serried ranks advance over the earth's broken and uneven surface to the City of God. By command of Jesus, the gates of the New Jerusalem are closed, and the armies of Satan surround the city and make ready for the onset.

Now Christ again appears to the view of His enemies. Far above the city, upon a foundation of burnished gold, is a throne, high and lifted up. Upon this throne sits the Son of God, and around Him are the subjects of His kingdom. The power and majesty of Christ no language can describe, no pen portray.

It is the uplifting of Jesus Christ! Not force, but light. Not physical light, but spiritual light, namely the "light of the world."

Let's go back to DA 108 for a moment:

Quote:
The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked.In the time of John the Baptist, Christ was about to appear as the revealer of the character of God. His very presence would make manifest to men their sin.

See how this all ties together? Jesus Christ, the revealer of the character of God, is the light of the glory of God. "light" = "revealer"; "character" = "glory." It all fits together wonderfully.

I hope you see the light. \:\)

TE: How can God communicate spiritual truths in a vision? He does so by physical symbols. It's up to us to interpret these symbols. God has certainly given us more than an ample amount of material to do so.

MM: There is nothing symbolic about the light that radiates from God's physical person. Neither was there anything symbolic about the light that radiated from Moses' face. Light is real; it is not symbolic.

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #99467
05/18/08 02:54 PM
05/18/08 02:54 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:

First of all, regarding Jesus:

Quote:
So Christ was to come in "the body of our humiliation" (Philippians 3:21, R. V.), "in the likeness of men." In the eyes of the world He possessed no beauty that they should desire Him; yet He was the incarnate God, the light of heaven and earth. His glory was veiled, His greatness and majesty were hidden, that He might draw near to sorrowful, tempted men.(DA 23)

Jesus' glory was veiled.

I was responding to what you wrote, not to the SOP. Here's what you posted:

"See, this is speaking of Jesus Christ [in the time of John the Baptist, DA 108] as the revealer of the character of God. He is the light of the glory of God that gives life to the righteous but slays the wicked, because He is the revealer of God's character. Notice it says that only the pure in heart could abide in His presence."

The way you worded things it made me think you were saying only the pure in heart could abide Jesus' presence without being slain by the light of His glory and brightness. But now you are making it clear this didn't happen while Jesus was here in the flesh. And, of course, I agree.

Originally Posted By: Tom
Regarding Moses, I've dealt with most of this in detail, but I'll make one more point. The glory of God is His character. I'm not understanding how you're missing this in regards to Moses. This can be plainly seen from Scripture. Moses asked God to reveal His glory, and the Lord caused His goodness to pass before him. The Lord revealed His character to Moses. This is very clear.

EGW explains the same thing.

Quote:
The glory of God is His character. While Moses was in the mount, earnestly interceding with God, He prayed, "I beseech Thee, show me Thy glory." In answer God declared "I will make all My goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the Lord before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy."

The glory of God--His character--was then revealed: "The Lord passed by before him, and proclaimed, The Lord, The Lord God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth, keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty."

This character was revealed in the life of Christ. That He might by His own example condemn sin in the flesh, He took upon Himself the likeness of sinful flesh. Constantly He beheld the character of God; constantly He revealed this character to the world. (ST 9/3/02)

That Moses could only see the backside of God is signifying that He could only receive a partial revelation of God's character. It's not talking about God's literal backside. What Moses saw was God's character. What caused his face to shine, was the revelation of God's character.

God didn't "show" His character to Moses on the mount; instead, God expressed it in words. He named several of His traits of character, which was by no means is an exhaustive list of His character traits. And, it wasn't the words that God spoke that made the skin on Moses' face shine so brightly that it hurt people around him; rather, it was light radiating from His physical person that caused Moses' skin to shine.

So, yes, I disagree with the idea that the expression "the glory of God" always and only refers to His many different traits of character. Depending on the contect, it can mean one of many different things.

Page 8 of 32 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 31 32

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!