Ocean Spray Juices

Posted By: Angie S

Ocean Spray Juices - 08/25/00 04:06 PM

I just found out something from my pastor's wife and a doctor's wife, as well. I'm not even sure this is where I should post this, but I had to post it somewhere, because everyone deserves to know. In the Ocean Spray Ruby Red Grapefruit Juices, there is an ingredient that isn't fit to partake of. It is called Cochineal Extract. I learned that this is boiled beetles. Not just any beetles, but beetles from the cockroach family. Now, we all know that cockroaches are unclean to eat, and I think that it is imperative that we stop using these juices. Not all juices that are red/pink have this extract, just certain ones. I know for sure of the Ocean Spray juices. This extract gives the juices their pink color. You can call the Ocean Spray company and ask them about it. They will tell you that it's not from the cockroach, but the beetle they say it's from IS. I don't have the toll-free number, but you can get it off of any Ocean Spray juice bottle. I'm sorry if this causes problems for anybody, but I think it needs to be put out in the open.

------------------
God bless!

Angie

Posted By: Daryl

Re: Ocean Spray Juices - 08/26/00 06:07 AM

This is a good place to post it.

Is this ingredient listed on the container itself?

I wonder if this also applies in Canada?

When I get a chance I will check it our here and let you all know.

------------------
In His Love, Mercy & Grace

Daryl Fawcett :)

Re: Ocean Spray Juices - 08/25/00 09:08 PM

Yes, Daryl, it is listed right in the ingredients. It is spelled just the way I spelled it. Like I said, I'd give you the 800 number for it, but I don't have it. I would imagine that it applies everywhere, because Ocean Spray isn't limited to the US as far as I know. Anywho, I encourage anyone who feels impressed to, to check it out for themselves. I don't want anyone to take my word for anything, investigate, please! God bless and have a wonderfully Happy Sabbath! I know I will, I get to visit family this weekend! YAY!!!

Angie

Posted By: Linda Sutton

Re: Ocean Spray Juices - 08/26/00 12:19 AM

Chocineal extract is used in more juice brands than just Ocean Spray. It is a coloring agent that gives a red or pink color. Read the ingredient label of any juice that has a red or pink color as it may have cochineal in it. It may not be listed as cochineal but as carmine or carminic acid. I haven't found a ruby red grapefruit juice drink in any brand that does not use cochineal as its coloring agent.

------------------

Re: Ocean Spray Juices - 08/28/00 04:26 PM

"It may not be listed as cochineal but as carmine or carminic acid." - Linda Sutton

I didn't know that the carmine or carminic acid is the same thing. I have seen those listed instead of cochineal, but I didn't know they were the same thing. This limits us even more with drinking juices! Thank you, Linda, for letting us know about that, as well.

------------------
God bless!

Angie

© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church