What Do You Know About Anorexia?

Posted By: Daryl

What Do You Know About Anorexia? - 06/16/02 05:14 AM

What causes anorexia? Is it a chemical problem in the brain, or what?
Posted By: Edward F Sutton

Re: What Do You Know About Anorexia? - 06/17/02 07:56 AM

It is the chronic self hatred from depression, (which is anger turned within), manifested in self starvation accompanied by various body image perceptions/delusions. It is definite mental illness, that is strongly physically carried out.
Posted By: Lorelei Grecian

Re: What Do You Know About Anorexia? - 06/17/02 04:41 PM

Hi!

Once upon a time, my thinking was that anorexia was disorder that teen-age girls and young women experienced because they were afraid of being rejected by their peers- they thought it would make tehm look "good". Either more information is available or I was disillusioned because this is no so today.

How do children as young as four years old develop this disorder?

Lorelei:)

Re: What Do You Know About Anorexia? - 06/17/02 05:18 PM

Yes, how does the mind of a four year old develop this disorder? [Confused]
Posted By: Linda Sutton

Re: What Do You Know About Anorexia? - 06/19/02 12:16 AM

I haven't really explored this site, but it seems to offer a lot of information about the different eating disorders, one of which is anorexia nervosa.

Anorexia and Related Eating Disorders, Inc.

You might also check out these sites:

The National Women's Health Information Center

Internet Mental Health

[ June 18, 2002, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: Linda S ]

Re: What Do You Know About Anorexia? - 06/19/02 12:28 AM

quote:
Eating Disorders Definitions

Anorexia Nervosa

Anorexia nervosa literally means loss of appetite but this is a misnomer: A person with anorexia nervosa is hungry, but he or she denies the hunger because of an irrational fear of becoming fat. Anorexia nervosa is often characterized by self-starvation, food preoccupation and rituals, compulsive exercising, and often an absence of menstrual cycles. Untreated, anorexia can be fatal. It is not a "fad" which the victim will outgrow if left alone. The death of pop singer Karen Carpenter at age 32 was attributed to heart failure, following her eight-year battle with anorexia. The most common cause of death in a long-time anorexic is low serum potassium, which can cause an irregular heartbeat.

Bulimia Nervosa

Bulimia nervosa is characterized by recurring periods of binge eating, during which large amounts of food are consumed in a short period of time -- sometimes as many as 20,000 calories during the course of a single binge. The bulimic is aware that his or her eating is out of control. He or she is fearful of not being able to stop eating, and is afraid of being fat. The bulimic usually feels depressed and guilty after a binge. Frequently, the binges are followed by purging, through self-induced vomiting, abuse of laxatives and/or diuretics, or periods of fasting. The bulimic's weight is usually in a normal or somewhat above normal range; it may fluctuate more than 10 pounds due to alternating binges and fasts.

Compulsive Overeating (Binge Eating Disorder)

A compulsive overeater (binge eater) is an individual who compulsively eats but does not purge and usually becomes overweight. The overeater may eat three meals a day plus frequent snacks. He or she may overeat continually throughout the day, rather than consume large amounts of food during binges.

These definitions are from the official website of the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders.

Re: What Do You Know About Anorexia? - 06/19/02 01:02 AM

I appreciate all the information, but what is the cause?

Is it a virus, a chemical imbalance, or what?

Re: What Do You Know About Anorexia? - 06/19/02 04:23 AM

Hi!

I found this on the Anorexia Nervosa and Related Eating Disorders, Inc. website.

Infection-triggered, auto immune subtype of anorexia nervosa in young children

-Not an official eating disorder, but the topic has gathered the interest of researchers.

-May be related to a type of obsessive-compulsive disorder triggered by an auto immune process involving bacteria or viruses and parts of the nervous system.

-May be related to pediatric infection-triggered auto immune neuropsychiatric disorders (PITANDS) and pediatric autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorders associated with streptococcus (PANDAS)

-Suspected when symptoms and behaviors typical of anorexia nervosa appear suddenly in a young child, or when symptoms and behaviors in a young child worsen quickly with no other explanation

-And when the child has had a recent respiratory, throat, or other infection.

-Antibiotics, antivirals, and/or vaccines may be part of the treatment, either after refusal to eat appears or as prevention.

-The first step in treatment is a thorough evaluation done by a pediatrician who is familiar with PITANDS and PANDAS research.

-Reference for physicians: Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Volume 36, Number 8.

Anorexia Nervosa and Related Eating Disorders, Inc.
© 2002 All rights reserved

Re: What Do You Know About Anorexia? - 06/19/02 05:15 AM

I noticed that the words "may" and "suspect"are prominent in Lorelei's quote.

Can't they be more definite then that?

Don't or can't they really know whether or not it "is" rather than it "may"???

[ June 18, 2002, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: Daryl Fawcett ]

Re: What Do You Know About Anorexia? - 06/19/02 05:58 PM

It's not always easy to track down the causes of diseases and disorders, especially when the cause many be many faceted. Most mental illnesses have many facets and tracking them down takes time. Sometimes researchers have to wait for technology to develop the needed instruments/procedures before discoveries can be made. Sometimes its necessary to carry out experiments that cannot be ethically done on living people, and animals are not satisfactory research subjects. That's usually why they can "suspect" but can't prove.
Posted By: Sarah Moss

Re: What Do You Know About Anorexia? - 06/20/02 02:08 AM

It wouldn't surprise me if it is or can be a combination of both. I believe that some anorexia, etc., is caused by feelings of low self-esteem, societal views, etc., while others can be genuinely caused by chemical imbalance or mental or physical impairment. I Pray that a child of 3 would not be anorexic due to self-esteem issues, if they are, I would be checking for abuse issues. Sometimes a problem begins by being one of choice (sub-conscious or otherwise) and becomes a very real problem in terms of chemical imbalance. Not the same problem, but I know someone who began having anxiety attacks, and as they progressed untreated, it became a full-blown chemical imbalance that has taken about 2 years to overcome. A simple case of how an issue can turn into a medical problem. Perhaps anorexia (etc.) can be the same way... It is also possible that a physical disorder could cause a person to appear to have anorexia when in actuality they are medically ill......

Forgive my turns of phrase if they are inappropriate or too vague. You would think that I would be able to express myself more clearly, but sometimes I have difficulty connecting my brain to my fingers - I tend to do too much editing between the thinking and the typing.... [Smile] (I think mainly because I am used to thinking with someone else's words and editing those as they are spoken in my ear)

[ June 19, 2002, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: Mrs Sarah Moss ]

Re: What Do You Know About Anorexia? - 06/20/02 03:13 AM

HI!

I asked a friend last summer to what degree could Satan infiltrate our being. He said in every way possible. So when another friend told me that anorexia was demonic, I swallowed in fear, knowing that he was probably right. I did not want to post it right away because sometimes you think it can not be, but when I thought about the disease and how hard it is to overcome, why would not it be?

I could see how this fits in with sin, selfishness and death. Since the Garden of Eden eating and women have had mixed terribly. It is not surprising that Satan would take something like fasting, which is supposed to bring us closer to God, and take it to the extreme such that it would cause people to turn inward to such a point that they hate themselves, and "surely" end with death.

Isaiah 55:8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.

It is very difficult to overcome anorexia with purely medicinal ie. psychological treatment possibly due to the lack of spiritual support which is what needs to be present for victory.

1 Corinthians 15:57 But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

In answer to your question of "why?", Daryl, because for Satan "why not"- why not allow people to loathe their physical appearance, to feel inferior- isn't that what he felt? It is very unfortunate that such infiltration can happen to small children but because they are being exposed to things of the world at younger and younger ages and because, like Sarah mentioned, they are abused, they are vulnerable. Our only protection is God. Our minds are so complicated; only God knows how they work. Only He can protect them.

I hope this provides some insight.

Lorelei
Posted By: zyph

Re: What Do You Know About Anorexia? - 06/29/02 04:58 PM

I work with mentally ill people every day, and in large numbers. While the consequences of sin are satanic, mentall illness is not demon possession. I know there is real demon possession, but it doesn't have regular symptoms like, say, schizophrenia. Anorexia and bulimia are related to OCD - obsessive compulsive disorder - and as such are illness, and must be treated as a brain thing, and not purely behavioural.

I once worked with a young woman who was a classic anorexic/bulimic. She would hoe into chocolate cake, disappear to throw up, then return, with her breath constantly smelling of acetone. She was waiflike, pale, and completely obsessive in her work, burning out quickly because she had no "brakes" to apply for self preservation. It was very tragic. She'd had a traumatic past, but so have millions of people who don't become anorexic, so that's not the only factor.

I agree that exposing our children to awful media and images breaks down their minds and wills, and can have devastating consequences.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church