Is Apple Cider Vinegar With The Mother In It Good For Us To Take Internally?

Posted By: Daryl

Is Apple Cider Vinegar With The Mother In It Good For Us To Take Internally? - 12/08/03 06:18 PM

Is Apple Cider Vinegar with The Mother in it good for us to take internally as a type of medicine?

[ December 08, 2003, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: Daryl Fawcett ]
Posted By: debbie

Re: Is Apple Cider Vinegar With The Mother In It Good For Us To Take Internally? - 01/14/04 06:36 AM

I seriously question whether apple cider vinegar is good for us. However, they use it quite a bit on 3ABN in their recipes. I've heard Linda Shelton say that it is okay to use. So they use the Vegenaise and Nayonaise as a mayonaise as they don't have eggs or regular vinegar in them.

But for some reason I have questions about apple cider vinegar...I've read what Mrs. White says and she just says "vinegar." She does not put a distinction on it, that I know of.
Posted By: Wendy F

Re: Is Apple Cider Vinegar With The Mother In It Good For Us To Take Internally? - 01/14/04 06:38 AM

What is apple cider vinegar with "the mother" in it? What is "the mother" part?

wf [Confused]

Re: Is Apple Cider Vinegar With The Mother In It Good For Us To Take Internally? - 01/14/04 06:39 PM

I have a bottle of it and this is how it reads on the bottle:

BRAGG
RAW - UNFILTERED
ORGANIC
APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
With the Mother
Product of U.S.A.

Ingredients:
Certified raw organic Apple Cider Vinegar is unfiltered, unheated and 5% acidity. Contains the amazing and naturally occurring Mother of Vinegar.

It also says on the bottle:

Loving care is taken in the growing and preparing of Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar for your body. It is never heated or filtered. It contains the important Mother, which occurs as molecules of protein connected in strand-like chains....Brag Apple Cider is made from the best organically grown apples.

Does this answer your question, Wendy?
Posted By: John H.

Re: Is Apple Cider Vinegar With The Mother In It Good For Us To Take Internally? - 01/15/04 07:10 AM

More info at

http://www.bragg.com/company/faq_applecider.html
Posted By: Linda Sutton

Re: Is Apple Cider Vinegar With The Mother In It Good For Us To Take Internally? - 01/15/04 08:30 PM

Vinegar, regardless of how it is processed, is still "sour wine," that is, it is the final result of firmentation. The firmentation process is started and alcohol is formed by the action of bacteria in the fruit juice (be it apples, grapes, etc.). For wines, this process of firmentation is halted while there is still an alcohol content and this results in the alcoholic beverage. When the firmentation process is allowed to continue until all the alcohol is gone, you have vinegar. Now I have to ask, if we don't use wine, why would we use vinegar? Vinegar is not good for the body as it is an irritant. It interfers with digestion and is harmful to the stomach. It was discovered years ago that people who have ulcers weren't in need of a soft diet as used to be recommended, but to eliminate such things as vinegar and spices, which irritated the stomach lining, from their diet so their ulcers could heal.

As for Linda Shelton and Barbara Kerr on 3ABN, it should be noted that these two women are not trained in medicine or in nutrition. When they get on the air and pronounce something (vinegar or hot spices) OK, even helpful, to use when we have been told by God through His prophet we are not to use them, I see that as being unfaithful to Him in this area, instead allowing the desires of the flesh to overrule God's pronouncement that it is harmful.

I found this information at the Uchee Pines website.
quote:
VINEGAR/GASTRIC MUCOSA
Vinegar irritates the gastric mucosa (Japanese Journal of Pharmacology 41:101-108, 1986) ED - Many cases of gastritis and peptic ulcer need look no further for the cause of their problem than to vinegar (remember salad dressings!) Some other causes are drinking little water, eating too fast and chewing food poorly, eating between meals and at night, using irritating foods and beverages, and smoking.

ACETIC ACID/VINEGAR/STOMACH FUNCTION
A German study reveals that a solution of acetic acid (found in vinegar) one-tenth normal strength decreases hydrochloric acid secretion, lessens normal stomach motions, causes return of material from the duodenum back into the stomach, and causes the stomach to produce a watery secretion which diluted digestive stomach fluid. (Medizinische Clinic, Berlin 20:997, July 20, 1924)

PEPPER [Since I brought up spices, I am adding this in]
A Houston, Texas study reveals that both red and black pepper induce bleeding of the stomach mucosa, increase shedding of parietal cells, and increase potassium loss. (Gastroenterology 90(5 Pt 2)1561, May 1986)

Posted By: debbie

Re: Is Apple Cider Vinegar With The Mother In It Good For Us To Take Internally? - 01/16/04 07:52 AM

Linda, thanks so much for your information. I totally agree with us. I believe lemon juice makes a wonderful substitute for vinegar if we need it in a recipe.

Re: Is Apple Cider Vinegar With The Mother In It Good For Us To Take Internally? - 01/31/04 09:44 PM

Would this also apply to the apple cider vinegar with the mother in it?
Posted By: Doug Meister

Re: Is Apple Cider Vinegar With The Mother In It Good For Us To Take Internally? - 04/18/04 05:35 AM

Lemon juice and citrus juice in general is bad for those with Candida.

Ulcers are caused by a bacteria: Helicobacter pylori. Kill the bacteria and the ulcers are gone. One of the best foods for the stomach is hot peppers. I hate em, but they're good fer ya.
--Ðøug  - 2004.4.17.19.34.23 PT
Posted By: Jayme

Re: Is Apple Cider Vinegar With The Mother In It Good For Us To Take Internally? - 04/18/04 07:32 AM

I understand that folks in Utah take capsicum (sp?) capsules for ulcers.
Posted By: John H.

Re: Is Apple Cider Vinegar With The Mother In It Good For Us To Take Internally? - 04/19/04 02:39 AM

Hot pepper??

"In this fast age, the less exciting the food, the better. Condiments are injurious in their nature. Mustard, pepper, spices, pickles, and other things of a like character, irritate the stomach and make the blood feverish and impure. The inflamed condition of the drunkard's stomach is often pictured as illustrating the effect of alcoholic liquors. A similarly inflamed condition is produced by the use of irritating condiments. Soon ordinary food does not satisfy the appetite. The system feels a want, a craving, for something more stimulating."
{MH 325.2}
Posted By: zyph

Re: Is Apple Cider Vinegar With The Mother In It Good For Us To Take Internally? - 04/25/04 11:34 AM

quote:
Ulcers are caused by a bacteria: Helicobacter pylori. Kill the bacteria and the ulcers are gone.
No, only some ulcers are caused by this bacteria. Others are caused by a variety of things, including sudden emotional trauma and chronic alcohol use.

Ellen White was very clear on the harmfulness of vinegar. Adventists put too much faith in Naturopaths and herbalists. We should be using the information we already have, as well as proper medical research. Herbalists and Naturopaths make many incorrect claims, based on tradition and not on facts. Hence the leaning towards belief in these harmful things as being life-enhancing.

I think John and Linda's posts are accurate, and can't agree with them more.
Posted By: Jayme

Re: Is Apple Cider Vinegar With The Mother In It Good For Us To Take Internally? - 05/03/04 06:04 AM

Daryl,

Does this bottle of vinegar you have look any different that other bottles of vinegar without the mother??

Sometimes bottles like that have things in them that can be seen with the naked eye, besides the liquid. So am wondering if this bottle has anything like that.

[Confused]

EDIT:
Ok, so I didn't visit the website posted by John above BEFORE asking my question.
quote:
When mature, it contains a web-like substance, called "mother", which becomes visible when the rich brownish liquid is held to the light. The mother can be used to add to other vinegar to hasten maturity for more Apple Cider Vinegar.

What is the nature of the Mother?
The mother is the dark, cloudy substance in the ACV ú formed from naturally occurring pectin and apple residues - it appears as molecules of protein connected in strand-like chains. The presence of the mother shows that the best part of the apple has not been destroyed. Vinegars containing the mother contain enzymes and minerals that other vinegars may not contain due to overprocessing, filtration and overheating.

So Daryl, you don't need to answer this unless you wish [Smile]
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church