The Frontal Lobe and Health

Posted By: Suzanne

The Frontal Lobe and Health - 08/21/09 02:02 AM

One of our members posted this on another forum. I feel that it warrants as much exposure as possible:

Quote:
As I prepare to graduate and receive my Masters Degree this June, from the mentoring of A. Graham Maxwell and the late, great Robert P. Iacono, I really learned the "Why's" that are behind our health message, especially, as it applies to the frontal lobes. It is ironic, that as soon as we reach puberty and the "Age of Accountability" as our brain chemistry is "reshuffling the deck" we are more vulnerable to silent trauma than when we were at twelve days old. All of the guys that Iacono and I talked to in maximum security at Chino Central Prison-- all had endured major silent trauma at the age of 12, which thrust them into undiagnosed, untreated, teen depression; i.e. "I was riding on the back of my father's motorcycle when a car cut us off and I saw the rear tire of the car roll over my father's head." The prefrontal cortex does NOT fully develop until age 25, and in my research for my thesis, in regards to circadian rhythm, our adolescent youth are staying up until 1:30 a.m. on average, throwing their circadian rhythm out by two time zones, this results in ADHD, adolescent anti-social personality disorder (which it is so common now that it is almost considered normal), and bi-polar. All have a tendency to self-medicate, which harms the frontal lobes even more--further impairing the development of the frontal lobes, leaving it easy prey for Satan.

It is not surprising to read EGW in Volume 7A of the Bible Commentary on Peter's Ladder page 944 (II Peter 1:3-11) "6. Temperance Precedes Patience.---'And to temperance patience.' An intemperate man never can be a patient man. 'Temperance comes first, and then patience.'" Patience is the cornerstone to 1 Corinthians 13, Love is patient... and Revelation 14:12, Here is the patience of the saints..without frontal lobes it is almost impossible to be patient.

Prior to coming into the church, my sons were 4 and 5, hyperactive, impatient, aggressive, with the runny noses, etc. Then I heard of the Fiengold Diet, "No artificial colorings, flavorings, preservatives, and sugars." He instructed parents to drastically change the children's diet, reducing it down to basics and then adding one thing at a time and wait four to eight hours to see if there was a reaction. By doing this I found my sons becoming patient, obedient, docile, and less sickly. It was almost like we detoxed them. They would go to their little friend's house next door or across the street and come home bouncing off the walls and I would ask if they ate or drank anything while they were visiting? They would tell me they had some Hi-C orange drink. We would have to wait three days, before sanity was restored in the house. My sons became very trusting to what I would tell them about what they should eat or drink. Wouldn't God have loved that experience? "Daddy can I have this?" and then I would read the ingredients and we would discuss it. They enjoyed feeling good. Feingold said, "Everybody's body is different, some have higher reactions and the additives and sugars impact people differently." While going through a divorce, I took the youngest (the wild one-the one his mother could not control) to an Angel game with a friend and his young son. I shared about the diet and my friend thought I was becoming fanatic. He said that his son was a regular, red-blooded All-American boy. His son was running on 220 when he slept!!! At the game, all of the vendors would come by, selling hot dogs, cokes, cotton candy, peanuts, etc. All of the children around us were gorging, along with my friend's son. My little guy would see all of the other kids eating everything, and he was asking if he could have some and I would say, "No." and then I began to feel guilty for doing the Right Thing. Finally, I broke down and bought him a Carnation Frosty Malt. (A name I thought I could trust) My friend finally thought I was coming to my senses. After only one spoon full, my little guys detonated. My friend's eyes lit up as I grabbed my son and ran for the restroom. I found an empty stall and sat there holding him while he cried. His body was so clean that one bite, when under the tongue and straight to his brain. I held him there for about thirty minutes and he finally feel asleep in my arms. If anybody from the Food and Drug would have been near by, I would have been found guilty of murder, but I was even madder at myself. When I returned, my friend began asking me about foods, because he was now a witness. (Upon my return, I read the ingredients and saw that it had the stuff used in making antifreeze.)

Our health message has been given to prepare the frontal lobes for the SEALING. Satan is doing all that he can to disrupt our ability to resist, by having our rebellious nature fight proper sleep habits for the synthesis of melatonin so that we can enter REM. In order for this to occur, we must be sure to ingest tryptaphan and B-6 for the synthesis of serotonin, because it takes serotonin, darkness, sleep, and silence to produce the melatonin. Both neurotransmitters are essential in order to have the prefrontal cortex and the temporal lobes in maximum operating condition. This is essential in order to have the fruit of the spirit, because without frontal lobes we lack the ability to care and experience the warm, sympathetic emotions and feelings. It is difficult to make good decisions and to modulate behaviors without the frontal lobes.

My thesis project is to SPECT brain scan 10 individuals, of all five races, both genders, with a history of substance abuse, feed them a vegan diet for three months, half will also receive vital supplements, test their urine and blood to track oxidative stress, and then post SPECT the brain again to evaluate whether there has been any restoration in their prefrontal cortex and temporal lobes, while taking the supplemental group through my Socratic Pedagogy/Kohlberg/Agape class, to also attempt to discern if there has been any moral maturity.

Our health message is vital and nothing can come close to it in restoring and ensuring that the frontal lobes are operative, Daniel and his three friends have provided ample evidence. I am a voice in the wilderness, crying "make straight the way" for the BRIDEGROOM COMETH.

Suzanne
Posted By: Tom

Re: The Frontal Lobe and Health - 08/21/09 02:52 AM

Any follow up to this? It would be interesting to know how his thesis project went.

Re: The Frontal Lobe and Health - 08/26/09 01:48 AM

Tom, I was unable to find any follow-up info from the gentleman who posted the article. I did Google "frontal lobe" and found other info on this important subject:

* The frontal lobe is located at the front of the brain (right behind the forehead) and is associated with reasoning, motor skill, higher level cognition and expressive language. At the back of the frontal lobe, near the central sulcus, lies the motor cortex. This area of the brain receives info from various lobes of the brain and utilizes this info to carry out body movements..

* The frontal lobe is the center of reasoning. The study of this area of the brain is described as the study of the qualities that differentiate a human being from animals.

* This area is also responsible for higher cognitive functions, such as speech, problem-solving, planning, organizing, awareness, motor activity memory storage and intelligence. Is also involved in emotions and other aspects of personality.

* Science Daily - "Study pinpoints region in frontal lobes as "essence" of what makes us human. This study found the strongest evidence yet that what sets humans apart from animals may be found in the brain's frontal lobes, particularly in an area the size of a "billiard ball" called the right prefrontal cortex.

Understanding the mental processes of others--mentalizing--is the basis of our socialization and what makes us human. It gives rise to our capacity to feel empathy, sympathy, understand humor and when other are being ironic, sarcastic or even deceptive.... These hugher cognitive functions in humans are "localizable" to a specific region within the frontal lobes.

*Alcohol induced brain damage usually includes extensive shrinkage in the cortex of the frontal lobe, which is the site of higher intellectual functions. This area controls the capacity to plan, reason, conduct higher level thinking and connect what we know about the world to how we behave.

* "Unfeeling Moral Choices Traced to Damaged Frontal Lobes." ...the lack of empathy and compassion.

* Marijuana smokers had brain abnormalities similar to those of schizophrenics...affects the left-frontal lobe.

* Brain scans of 25 convicted killers...many had abnormalities in the front sections of the brain--the frontal lobes. This is one of the most highly active areas of the brain. The frontal lobes are the part of the brain that put a brake on impulses and drives, according to Dr. Jonathan Pincus, a psychiatrist at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. It's the part of the brain that allows us to say, don't do that! Don't say that. It's not appropriate. There's going to be consequences.!

* The frontal lobes comprise about one-third of the brain.

* "TV May Be Doing Your Thinking." Similarities between hypnosis and the effects of watching TV in Dr. Aric Sigman's book: "Remotely Controlled." In hypnosis the frontal lobe is altered becoming less connected with the brain so that we switch off. This area also alters in the brain when watching TV.

* In autism, The frontal lobe is not connected well between left and right side of brain.

* Being overweight linked to faster brain aging....changes in the frontal lobes.

* The brain is the computer that controls the body. The frontal lobes are the largest section of the brain.

* The chemicals produced by negativity slows and renders some portions of the frontal lobes inactive, this area will physically become smaller as the inactivity grows....Can result in psychiatric problems.

* Alzheimer's Disease... - Begin an exercise program. Exercise helps the body to produce healthy chemicals. These healthy chemicals act as a coat of protection for the brain against diseases.

* "Social Drinking Can Cause Brain to Shrink." The daily wine habit you've adopted for the sake of your heart may be harming your brain...shrinkage of the frontal lobes, the center for emotions, planning and other higher behavior, particularly as individuals age. This area is highly susceptible to alcoholic brain damage.

* Medical research supports the value of studying the Scriptures. ...affects the frontal lobes.

* ADHD drugs been proven to cause stunted growth and brain shrinkage in children and teens.

* Women's Brain Shrunk by HRT Drugs. Women using HRT drugs are increasingly being diagnosed with dementia and Alzheimer's Disease. ...the dumbing down of America, it seems is being accomplished in part through the mass medication of women and children with brain strinking drugs. Mass chemical lobotomization of the population by drug companies....

* "The brain nerves which communicate with the entire system are the only medium through which heaven can communicate to man and affect his inmost life." --Ellen White, Testimonies, Vol. 2:347.

Suzanne
Posted By: teresaq

Re: The Frontal Lobe and Health - 08/26/09 05:11 AM

* "Unfeeling Moral Choices Traced to Damaged Frontal Lobes." ...the lack of empathy and compassion.

choices would seem to produce the same effects, if we consider such cases as the pharisees.

Re: The Frontal Lobe and Health - 08/26/09 09:20 PM

Pork, too, has a negative effect on the brain. Consider this statement from Ellen White regarding the use of pork as an article of food: "...Especially would the fine, sensitive nerves of the brain become enfeebled and so beclouded that sacred things would not be discerned, but be placed upon the low level with common things. Light showing that disease is caused by using this gross article of food has come just as soon as God's people could bear it. Have you heeded the light? Testimony for the Church, Vol. 2:96.

Jean Carper, writing the the well-researched Food--Your Miracle Medicine, notes that "rats fed lard cannot find their way through mazes as easily as rats fed soybean oil. The spatial memories of the lard eaters are simply not as good, dooming them to make more mistakes."

Comment: A word to the wise.

Suzanne

Re: The Frontal Lobe and Health - 08/28/09 02:02 AM

"The Crazy Makers" How the Food Industry Is Destroying Our Brains and Harming Our Children

In the book, The Crazy Makers, Carol Simontacchi points out that our brains are the product of what we eat--and feed our children--for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Food scientists have warned us many times that our food choices contribute to degenerative diseases such as cancer, diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, etc. However we are just beginning to understand the impact these manufactured "foods" have on our mental abilities. Its time we explore the possibility that the major American convenience "foods" are destroying our brains too....

Simontacchi takes a hard look at what is no less than a national nutritional epidemic. Here are some of her findings:

* Our babies are restless, our children are unmanageable, our adolescents are suicidal, and we adults are so stressed out we can't think straignt. Meantime, we are eating nutrient-dead food and feeding it to our children. This food is missing the structural materials we need to maintain brain function and to nurture the developing brains of our babies and children. Yet few are making the association between what we eat and the effects that our foods have on our thinking and behavior.

Further, much blame belongs on the food manufacturers, who rather than producing products that nourish our brains, and provide the essential building blocks we need, they are cranking out millions of pounds of toxic food artifacts stripped bare of the nutrients that feed our brains.

One example is baby food. Many of our most popular baby foods contain high levels of insecticide residues that are toxic to our nervous and glandular systems. The Environmental Working Group, a watchdog environmental organization, notes that 9 out of 10 children under 5 are exposed to 13 different neurotoxic insecticides in their baby foods.

* Many food manufacturers are slipping toxic substances into our cereals, soups, breads, etc. and calling it progress. One example: MSG, the flavor enhancer, found in scores of convenience foods. MSG has the potential for inflicting permanent damage on growing brains and nervous systems. For this reason, it is prohibited in baby foods. Unnatural substances such as MSG leave us less able to cope with stress and more susceptible to mental illness. The result is that we are being robbed of our sanity, our ability to reason and to be healthy and happy.

* In our quest for convenience we have almost completely lost sight of what constitutes a normal meal. We used to eat brilliantly colored, deliciously flavored fresh fruits and vegetables, rich brown grains, etc....As a fundamentally holistic experience, eating nourished us body and mind.

Compare that with the food we eat now. Many pre-packaged meals are deficient in the healthy fats that feed the brain, they contain very little in the way of vitamins and minerals, and are loaded with excess sodium. This excess can lead to restlessness, lethargy, irritability, panic attacks and even longterm neurological damage.

* The products we eat may be colorful and flavorful, but not from natural goodness. They come from dyes and unpronounceable chemicals. Chicken, beef, and pork are laced with hormones, etc. that wreak havoc with our own hormonal systems.

* Artificial flavors compromise our tastebuds so that we come to prefer them. but, they doh't provide the materials we need to build and maintain our brains.

* All 10 trillion neurons in the brain deserve our care. Even the most sophisticated computer system on earth pales in comparison with the simplest human brain. Receptor sites throughout the body allow the hormonal system (the endocrine system) and neuroloical system to "talk" to each other. But these sites are not selective, they can be activated or shut down by chemicals produced outside of the body. Infenitestimal amounts of the wrong substance can cause a misfiring of the brain's signals or cause a message to be lost.

(Continued in next posting).

Suzanne

Re: The Frontal Lobe and Health - 08/28/09 02:57 AM

The Crazy Makers, con't.

* The brain is the body's hungriest organ. During periods of malnutrition, it is fed preferentially, at the expense of other organs. From the beginnings, it requires a constant flow of nutrition to function properly. Remember the brain's physical structure is built from physical nutrients. To be healthy, it must have fats, proteins, carbohydrates, water vitamins and minerals. If these nutrients have been removed from the food or if it is made of materials for which the brain has no use, the brain cannot remodel itself.

During the fetal stage, large amounts of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids are embedded into brain tissue. After birth, the requirements for fatty acids remain high until about 2 years of age. Healthy fats are likewise necessary to hormone production and continue to be important during each state of growth....Omega-3 fatty acids from flaxseeds, etc. and omega-6 from other seeds and nuts are also involved in brain health.

Unfortunately, most of the fats used to prepare convenience foods are processed vegetable oils which have been saturated with hydrogen to guarantee shelf life and maintain stability under long hours of sustained heat for frying. These trans fats are harmful to the heart, and are implicated in hardening of the arteries.

* Americans eat many meals away from home. The vast majority of these are purchased at fast food franchises. This indicates a diet filled with refined white flour, sugary sodas, and unhealthy fats. Indeed, sugar alone accounts for over 20% of teenagers' caloric intake. Even more frightening, rancid, processed fats account for another 50% of all the calories teens eat. Essentially they are living on grease and simple (refined) carbohydrates.

* The consumption of fresh fruits and veggies has plummeted. The average American eats less than 2 servings of both fruits and veggies per day. Of that, 25% is greasy, nutrient-dead french fries.

* Simontacchi has collected hundreds of food diaries from clients of all ages. It isn't uncommon to see a 7-day diary containing 21 meals with almost no vegetables, no fruit, no protein, and no water.

* The average teenager guzzles twice as much soft drinks as milk. Boys frequently drink over 42-ounces daily--39 teaspoons of sugar. Worse, young adults (20 to 30) drink nearly 3 times that much. We're drowning in liquid candy.

* A high sugar diet can lead to hyperactivity, depression, fatigue, inability to concentrate, and more. typically, this type of diet is grossly inadequate in most vitamins and minerals. In particular, the B-complex vitamins are needed to metabolize the sugar. symptoms of B-complex deficiency include fatigue, confusion, indigestion, anorexia, lethargy, memory loss, skin eruptions, anemia, muscular weakness, depression and disorientation.

* A typical adult lunch of a bagael with cream chese and a diet soda is a meal so stripped of nutrition that laboratory rats have perished on it.

* "Our food is driving us crazy." Millions of folk cannot get themselves together. Random acts of violence are so commonplace that the term "going postal" has become idiomatic. As one researcher noted, "thinking is as biological as digestion." This implies that a disturbance in the capacity to think is directly related to a defect in the brain. However, we don't link the fake, nutritionless food we put in our bodies on a daily basis with the depression, the anger, the aberrant behavior, and the heartbreaking assortment of mental illnesses that beset us.

* It is estimated that 25% of us suffer from mental disorders each year. Over $7 billion is spent on antidepressants yearly. 7 to 14% of children will experience an episode of major depression before the age of 15. Over 20% of students have seriously considered suicide during the previous 12 months, while teen suicide continues to escalate.

* Nutrition to the rescue! We must turn away from the "American food culture and establish eating behavior that resemble a "traditional" whole food diet as closely as possible. Fresh vegetables are emphasized, as well as fresh fruit. One protein food with each dinner is suggested. Water should be the only beverage, however herb teas are permitted. Reduce the amount of sugar you are using. Stop purchasing all cookies, candies, cakes, and ice cream. Make your own, using only half the sugar called for in most recipes. Nutritional supplements are recommended, including the B-complex vitamins, vitamins C, E, the minerals - magnesium citrate, and a daily miltivitamin-mineral that provides an adequate amount of all essential micro-nutrients. --adapted from Nutrition News.

Suzanne

Re: The Frontal Lobe and Health - 09/02/09 09:15 PM

Vitamin D Key to Healthy Brain

Sufficient vitamin D intake may play a critical role in maintaining brain function later in life, according to a study conducted by researchers from the University of Manchester and published in the Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry.

"This is further evidence from observational studies that vitamin D is likely to be beneficial to reduce many age-related diseases," notes Tim Spector of King's College London, who was not involved in the study. "Taken together with similar data that shows its importance in reducing arthritis, osteoporotic fractures, as well as heart disease and come cancers, this underscores the importance of vitamin D for humans...."

Researchers measured blood levels of vitamin D in over 3,000 European men between the ages of 40 and 79 then had the men undergo various tests of mental function, including memory and information processing. They found that the men with the highest blood levels did best on the test, while those with the lowest levels performed worst.

Another study earlier this year also found that higher levels of vitamin D appeared to protect against age-related cognitive decline.

The researchers were unable to determine which biological pathways vitamin D might act through to protect the aging brain, but they hypothesized that it might increase levels of protective antioxidants, increase key hormone levels, or suppress a hyperactive immune system that can lead to brain degeneration.

The researchers warned that vitamin D deficiency is widespread, especially among the elderly, who have decreased absorption from both food and sun sources.

Vitamin D is synthesized by the body when the skin is exposed to the sun's ultraviolet rays. The average light-skinned person can get enough vitamin D from roughly 15 minutes of sun on their face and hands per day, significantly less than the time it takes to burn. Darker skinned folk, the elderly, and those living far from the equator (particularly during the winter) may need more sun to synthesize the same amount. --news.bbc.co.uk. and NaturalNews.com.

Suzanne

Re: The Frontal Lobe and Health - 09/02/09 09:42 PM

While the statements in The Crazy Makers involve Amrican sources, etc., most if not all the information applies to Canada as well.

Suzanne
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church