Does the Bible Say that Moses' Previous Wife Was Murdered?

Posted By: Daryl

Does the Bible Say that Moses' Previous Wife Was Murdered? - 06/17/08 05:27 PM

I read something somewhere that caused me to ask and research the following question:

Does the Bible say anywhere that Moses' previous wife was murdered?

Re: Does the Bible Say that Moses' Previous Wife Was Murdered? - 06/17/08 05:35 PM

As far as I can determine, this is the first time Moses' wife is mentioned.
 Quote:

Exodus 2:21 And Moses consented to live with the man; and he gave his daughter Zipporah to Moses.

Re: Does the Bible Say that Moses' Previous Wife Was Murdered? - 06/17/08 05:49 PM

Was Zipporah the only wife that Moses ever had?

In other words, did Zipporah die, whether murdered or otherwise, and Moses married again?
Posted By: Mountain Man

Re: Does the Bible Say that Moses' Previous Wife Was Murdered? - 06/17/08 10:26 PM

There is no reason to believe Moses had more than one wife, Zipporah, in his lifetime. Here is what is said about her:

Yielding to the spirit of dissatisfaction, Miriam found cause of complaint in events that God had especially overruled. The marriage of Moses had been displeasing to her. That he should choose a woman of another nation, instead of taking a wife from among the Hebrews, was an offense to her family and national pride. Zipporah was treated with ill-disguised contempt. {PP 383.2}

Though called a "Cushite woman" (Numbers 12:1, R.V.), the wife of Moses was a Midianite, and thus a descendant of Abraham. In personal appearance she differed from the Hebrews in being of a somewhat darker complexion. Though not an Israelite, Zipporah was a worshiper of the true God. She was of a timid, retiring disposition, gentle and affectionate, and greatly distressed at the sight of suffering; and it was for this reason that Moses, when on the way to Egypt, had consented to her return to Midian. He desired to spare her the pain of witnessing the judgments that were to fall on the Egyptians. {PP 383.3}

The wife of Moses was not black, but her complexion was somewhat darker than the Hebrews (1SP 286). {1BC 1113.1}

Re: Does the Bible Say that Moses' Previous Wife Was Murdered? - 06/17/08 11:33 PM

That being the case, Moses only had one wife during his lifetime and never remarried after her death, assuming that she did die before he did.

Re: Does the Bible Say that Moses' Previous Wife Was Murdered? - 06/22/08 03:32 PM

I wonder where this idea that Moses' previous wife was murdered originated from?
Posted By: Rosangela

Re: Does the Bible Say that Moses' Previous Wife Was Murdered? - 06/22/08 04:32 PM

I found the following text in a Google search:

Quote:
After Zipporah's murder, Moses refuses the suggestion of retribution against the Midianites. "What good would that do? What she wanted was trust, respect, ...

Although this passage is not currently displayed in the link provided as reference,

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Zipporah-Wife-of-Moses/Marek-Halter/e/9781400052806

it is undoubtedly part of the fictitious novel Zipporah, Wife of Moses by Marek Halter. Perhaps this was the origin of the idea you mentioned. I didn’t find any other source mentioning this idea.
Posted By: Servant

Re: Does the Bible Say that Moses' Previous Wife Was Murdered? - 06/22/08 09:15 PM

Does anyone know if Josepheus has anything to say about this subject?
Posted By: Rosangela

Re: Does the Bible Say that Moses' Previous Wife Was Murdered? - 06/22/08 10:34 PM

This was a good clue, Servant!

I found this in the Wikipedia:

Quote:
Josephus relates several other incidents in connection with the Biblical account of Moses:
Before the incident in which Moses slew the Egyptian, Moses had led the Egyptians in a campaign against invading Ethiopians and routed them. While Moses was besieging one of the Ethiopians' cities, Tharbis, the daughter of the Ethiopian king, fell in love with Moses and wished to marry him. He agreed to do so if she would procure the deliverance of the city into his power. She did so immediately, and Moses promptly married her [Antiquities of the Jews page 61]. This marriage is also mentioned in Numbers 12:1 (Cushite meant Ethiopian; Zipporah was Midianite, definitely not Ethiopian). The account of this expedition is also mentioned by Irenaeus [Fragments from the Lost Writings of Irenaeus, XXXII], and the event would explain why St. Stephen refers to Moses as "mighty in his words and in his deeds" before Moses slayed the Egyptian.

This definitely is not supported by Ellen White.

“Though called a 'Cushite woman' (Numbers 12:1, R.V.), the wife of Moses was a Midianite, and thus a descendant of Abraham. In personal appearance she differed from the Hebrews in being of a somewhat darker complexion. Though not an Israelite, Zipporah was a worshiper of the true God.” {PP 383.3}
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church