What is the Bible Definition of Marriage?

Posted By: Daryl

What is the Bible Definition of Marriage? - 03/10/19 07:20 PM

What is the Bible definition of marriage?
Posted By: kland

Re: What is the Bible Definition of Marriage? - 03/11/19 06:31 PM

I'm guessing you have a reason of asking rather than this:

Genesis 2:22 And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her to the man. 23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man. 24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall join to his wife: and they shall be one flesh. 25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.
Posted By: Daryl

Re: What is the Bible Definition of Marriage? - 03/11/19 10:21 PM

That's a good beginning and is one verse that goes towards answering this question.
Posted By: The Wanderer

Re: What is the Bible Definition of Marriage? - 03/12/19 03:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Daryl
There are a number of texts that deal with marriage. The really interesting one, to me is the one in Gen where it says "they shall become one flesh." I dont hear that talked about too much; except when the couple is at the altar, sometimes.
Posted By: James Peterson

Re: What is the Bible Definition of Marriage? - 03/12/19 09:20 PM

The Bible definition of marriage is sexual intercourse: the one to whom you join yourself is the one to whom you are bound. That is why it is written:
  • "You shall not commit adultery." -- God, Exod. 20:14

• "I say to you that whoever divorces his wife for any reason except sexual immorality causes her to commit adultery; and whoever marries a woman who is divorced commits adultery." -- Jesus Christ, Mat. 5:32

• "Or do you not know that he who is joined to a harlot is one body with her? For 'the two,' He says, 'shall become one flesh.' But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him." -- Paul, 1 Cor. 6:16-17
Marriage is not the ceremony, the signing of papers before witnesses. It was designed for procreation and therefore is enacted, consummated, sealed -- not by signatures -- but by the act of being joined together: two people drawn into each other's arms in love that the child born out of this would find a home of boundless peace, happiness and encouragement, safety and stability for as long as s/he may live.

///
Posted By: His child

Re: What is the Bible Definition of Marriage? - 03/14/19 03:06 PM

Doe it really matter to folks that go along with the "state's edict" that contradicts the Bible?

God's definition of marriage is about to put faithful Christians at odds with the state.

Re: What is the Bible Definition of Marriage? - 03/15/19 07:10 AM

That's a good beginning and is one verse that goes towards answering this question.
I agree; this is the one from Genesis that I was talking about:
Quote:
Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.(Gen 2:24)
The Fundamental Belief on Marriage reveals the following:
Quote:
"Marriage was divinely established in Eden and affirmed by Jesus to be a lifelong union between a man and a woman in loving companionship. For the Christian a marriage commitment is to God as well as to the spouse, and should be entered into only between partners who share a common faith. Mutual love, honor, respect, and responsibility are the fabric of this relationship, which is to reflect the love, sanctity, closeness, and permanence of the relationship between Christ and His church. Regarding divorce, Jesus taught that the person who divorces a spouse, except for fornication, and marries another, commits adultery. Although some family relationships may fall short of the ideal, marriage partners who fully commit themselves to each other in Christ may achieve loving unity through the guidance of the Spirit and the nurture of the church. God blesses the family and intends that its members shall assist each other toward complete maturity. Parents are to bring up their children to love and obey the Lord. By their example and their words they are to teach them that Christ is a loving disciplinarian, ever tender and caring, who wants them to become members of His body, the family of God. Increasing family closeness is one of the earmarks of the final gospel message. -Marriage and the Family, Fundamental Belief 23

Re: What is the Bible Definition of Marriage? - 03/15/19 07:16 AM

Originally Posted By: James Peterson

The Bible definition of marriage is sexual intercourse: the one to whom you join yourself is the one to whom you are bound. That is why it is written:
  • "You shall not commit adultery." -- God, Exod. 20:14
    Or do you not know that he who is joined to a harlot is one body with her? For 'the two,' He says, 'shall become one flesh.' But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him.[/i]" -- Paul, 1 Cor. 6:16-17

///
you bring up some good points. What is your take on the phrase "one flesh?" Above I enclosed an OT verse which also uses that phrase. IMO that phrase goes well-beyond "procreation." Im not saying you are "wrong" about anything, just wondering what your take is on that? smile
Posted By: kland

Re: What is the Bible Definition of Marriage? - 03/15/19 05:40 PM

Gametes from the male and gametes from the female come together to create one flesh.
Posted By: His child

Re: What is the Bible Definition of Marriage? - 03/16/19 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: kland
Gametes from the male and gametes from the female come together to create one flesh.

I suspect: we know the biology. We know the Bible definition of marriage. BUT the real issue is that the state (America) has overruled the Bible and we must choose to comply with the state or stay true to the Bible.

It is an entering wedge to exalt the law of the land against the law of God. How we respond to this encroachment in the realm of spirituality is going to impact how we react when other issues arise that slowly chip away at God's authority. "Creeping Compromise" is what Joe Crews called it.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church