Video game's religious wars stir debate

Posted By: Avalee

Video game's religious wars stir debate - 12/14/06 11:50 PM

The headlines of this article caught my eye after seeing a child sitting in front of me one Sabbath with what I thought was a new kind of camera but was actually a small video game. I was very surprised at this but then I thought well I guess he has named the little person running around killing people after one of the people in the Bible, and they are out there fighting for the Lord. After seeing this article maybe it was one of these games eh?

Quote:
Simpson, a Presbyterian Church USA pastor, said he was dismayed by the concept in "Eternal Forces" of using prayer to restore a player's "spirit points" after killing the enemy.

"The idea that you could pray, and the deleterious effects of one's foul deeds would simply be wiped away, is a horrible thing to be teaching Christian young people here at Christmas time," Simpson said......

"It becomes a tool of religious instruction," he said. "The message is. ... there will be religious warfare, and you will target your fellow Americans, people from other faiths, people who you consider to be sinners."

To read the complete article please go to:

Video game's religious wars stir debate
Posted By: Davros

Re: Video game's religious wars stir debate - 12/16/06 05:31 AM

Indeed there are bad religious video games, but there are also some good ones. I personally like the one that tells the story of David. There is no killing (except for Goliath and Saul), and it is very true to the Bible account. I just wish I could remember the name of it off the top of my head. Faith keeper or something like that maybe...

Anyway, my point is that if something is done in the right way (teaching the Bible truth and not embellishing the story), it can be quite a good thing, but when we create needlessly violent games that only teach a moral story in principal, we miss the mark. I am also fond of Bible trivia games for the computer, but then I love to fill my head with knowledge.
Posted By: vastergotland

Re: Video game's religious wars stir debate - 12/16/06 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Preacher Dee
Indeed there are bad religious video games, but there are also some good ones. I personally like the one that tells the story of David. There is no killing (except for Goliath and Saul), and it is very true to the Bible account. I just wish I could remember the name of it off the top of my head. Faith keeper or something like that maybe...

Anyway, my point is that if something is done in the right way (teaching the Bible truth and not embellishing the story), it can be quite a good thing, but when we create needlessly violent games that only teach a moral story in principal, we miss the mark. I am also fond of Bible trivia games for the computer, but then I love to fill my head with knowledge.
How do you make a computer game about Davids life and only Goliath and Saul die? I mean, we are talking about a warrior king here. How about the time when he married Sauls daughter and provided hundreds or philistin foreskins as wedding gift to Saul?

Re: Video game's religious wars stir debate - 12/17/06 12:03 AM

Simple, you create a gloss.

Re: Video game's religious wars stir debate - 12/17/06 01:15 PM

Gloss
1 : a surface luster or brightness : SHINE
2 a : a deceptively attractive appearance <selfishness that had a gloss of humanitarianism about it> b : bright often superficial attractiveness <show-biz gloss>

??

Re: Video game's religious wars stir debate - 12/19/06 06:25 PM

I was referring to the theological definition of a gloss – to gloss over a point.

Quote:
  • A brief explanatory note or translation of a difficult or technical expression usually inserted in the margin or between lines of a text or manuscript
  • An extensive commentary, often accompanying a text or publication

The American Heritage Dictionary

Basically, you move very quickly over the less pleasing points and get to the more “family friendly” parts of the story.

Re: Video game's religious wars stir debate - 12/19/06 11:15 PM

Is that what we do with the bible aswell?

Re: Video game's religious wars stir debate - 12/20/06 02:34 AM

Probably, but that's a bit beyond the scope of this topic.
Posted By: Avalee

Re: Video game's religious wars stir debate - 12/20/06 01:49 PM

I sure hope we do not do that with the Bible as well. Making videos games of Bible stories like this is not a tool that should be given to children or adults. This is so sad. Just another form of intertainment and will just feed the user for games like this. I am a firm believer in using new technology for further the gospel but not like this.

Re: Video game's religious wars stir debate - 12/23/06 07:28 PM

So how would this differ from Your Story Hour?

Re: Video game's religious wars stir debate - 12/23/06 07:30 PM

So how would this differ from Your Story Hour?
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church