Where Can I Find????

Posted By: Linda Sutton

Where Can I Find???? - 07/14/00 08:01 PM

Have you seen a product in a recipe that you can't find? Ask if anyone knows where to find it. If you don't even know what a product is, ask that too? Do you know where to find items that others are searching for? List your source here along with the name, address, phone number and web address (if applicable) where others may obtain the product. If listing a local store in your area, please be certain they are willing to take phone or mail orders and ship products. Otherwise please state that they only serve local customers and only list it if someone from your area has made a request and lives within driving distance.

Linda
The moderators have the descretion of checking out each source listed and deleting that source if it is found unacceptable.

Posted By: Gerry Buck

Re: Where Can I Find???? - 07/21/00 02:46 PM

Where can I find a recipe for a 'cream sauce' to use in place of the cream sauce used in soups, i.e. cream of mushroom soup?

------------------
Is what you're living for worth Christ dying for?

Gerry B.

Re: Where Can I Find???? - 07/24/00 12:07 AM

Gerry, I haven't forgotten your request. I'll post a recipe and some suggestions soon.

Linda

Re: Where Can I Find???? - 07/24/00 05:38 AM

I have put a recipe for mushroom soup in the vegan recipes thread.

I have found a good substitute for cream in a recipe is Rich's Farm Rich Non-dairy Creamer. It is available in orginal and fat free in the diary case at the local grocery. It is the only non-dairy creamer that is truly non-dairy. However, I don't believe that it will whip like real cream.

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Where Can I Find???? - 08/17/00 04:30 AM

Okay, I've got one for you. I need to get Agar flakes - but can only find Agar powder so far. Anyone know where I can get the flakes as opposed to the powder?

Re: Where Can I Find???? - 08/17/00 06:23 AM

I checked the "Something Better" catalog and they only carry the powder. There are two possibilities: health food stores, and oriental food stores. If neither of these has agar flakes, you may need to use the powder in place of the flakes. I don't know what the ratio of flakes to powder is.

I don't use agar since it is very expensive. I use two different thickeners instead. I am able to buy instant clear jel at a local market. This is the stuff they use in instant puddings, etc. It thickens instantly when added to any liquid. Using a little expermenting I found that it is best to add to the liquid in the blender to prevent lumps. I also use Kosher Jel, plain. It is a replacement for gelatin which comes from animal sources. Emes Kosher Jel is available through mail order.

Linda

Re: Where Can I Find???? - 08/18/00 12:48 AM

Thanks Linda. I know I can get Emes through ABC, but that's just as expensive as the Agar (as far as I've found!)

Anyone know the ratio of powder to flakes? I'll need to know regardless of what I substitute!

Thanks.

Re: Where Can I Find???? - 08/26/00 01:05 AM

Believe it or not, I don't have a banana bread recipe that doesn't call for eggs! Does anyone have one or know what I can substitute for the eggs?

------------------
Sarah Moss
*Prayer Changes Things!*

Posted By: Daryl

Re: Where Can I Find???? - 08/26/00 01:49 AM

Hi Sarah!

Did you ever receive an answer to the following question you posted earlier?

Anyone know the ratio of powder to flakes? I'll need to know regardless of what I substitute!

------------------
In His Love, Mercy & Grace

Daryl

Re: Where Can I Find???? - 08/27/00 07:26 PM

No, I didn't get an answer to that question, so far I'm just avoiding those recipes One day I'll get to try them! Hmmm, I wonder if the ABC would order in for me . . . I'll have to phone and find out. Would still love an answer if anyone knows!

------------------
Sarah Moss
*Prayer Changes Things!*

Re: Where Can I Find???? - 08/27/00 08:08 PM

Sarah, for now why don't you try using the same amonut of the powdered as what the recipe calls for in flakes, or just a tiny bit less. See how it works and adjust the amount if need be the next time.

Another suggestion: Buy the flakes and blend in a blender about 1/4 cup at a time to turn into powder. Then use the amount called for in the recipe.

For egg substitutes-- there are some commercial egg substitues on the market available in health food stores. A few other substitutes are:

1 tsp commercial egg replacer + 2 tbls water
    1 tbls arrowroot, 1 tbls soy flour + 2 tbls water
    2 tbls flour, 1/2 tbls vegetable shortening, 1/2 tsp baking powder + 2 tbls water
    1/4 cup tofu blended with the recipe's liquid
    1 tbls tapioca starch or potato starch + 2 tbls water
    1 banana in cakes, pancakes, etc.

Linda

[This message has been edited by Linda Sutton (edited August 27, 2000).]

Re: Where Can I Find???? - 08/27/00 09:58 PM

Hi Sarah,

My wife, Beth, told me that she isn't even sure whether eggs are even necessary in a banana bread recipe. In other words, try it as the recipe shows without any eggs or egg replacements.

------------------
In His Love, Mercy & Grace

Daryl

[This message has been edited by Daryl Fawcett (edited August 27, 2000).]

Re: Where Can I Find???? - 08/30/00 07:40 PM

Here's the egg replacement I ALWAYS use in absolutely everything that calls for eggs (and I haven't had any bad results yet):

2 cups water
6 Tbsp flax seed
Bring this to a boil. Just as it starts to boil, remove from heat and immediately pour through strainer removing seed and reserving the liquid. The liquid is what you're after. 1/4 cup of this liquid (best if cooled before using) equals 1 medium egg.

Good luck. Crystal

Posted By: Catherine

Re: Where Can I Find???? - 09/16/00 04:34 AM

Many years ago I tried using agar powder in a recipe that called for agar flakes. I used the same amount of powder that the recipe called for of flakes, and my "jelly" turned out as hard as a bar of soap! So it takes much less powder than it would of flakes, but I have no idea what the proportion should be. I can get agar flakes from either the health food stores in our area, or from the co-op I belong to, but they only come in a one-ounce bag, nothing larger, and it is rather expensive.

------------------
The Lord is the strength of my life and my portion forever.

Re: Where Can I Find???? - 09/18/00 03:28 AM

Does anyone have a good recipe for lemon juice French dressing that uses tomato paste instead of tomato soup, and tastes good? The only non-vinegar French dressing recipe I have that tastes good (and I have lots of them that don't taste good) uses tomato soup, but I don't want to use any processed foods that have ingredients I don't want.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Cathy Sears (edited September 17, 2000).]

Posted By: Gerry Buck

Re: Where Can I Find???? - 09/25/00 03:56 PM

Where might I find videos showing how to prepare a menu, shop for it and then prepare them?
I need to see it done to do it.
Thanks,
Gerry

Re: Where Can I Find???? - 09/25/00 08:09 PM

Cathy, I noticed that Linda posted a recipe for Tomato Soup in the "Recipes from an early vegetarian cookbook" forum. Maybe try that one.

------------------
Sarah Moss
*Prayer Changes Things!*

Re: Where Can I Find???? - 09/28/00 06:26 AM

Gerry, I'm still trying to think of who may have the kind of videos that you are wanting. I have some cooking videos, but none of them actually talk about menu planning or shopping. I guess they just take those things for granted. I have some things that might be of help that I'll post in a new topic.

Cathy, I have found two French Dressing recipes that I will post under a new topic, Sauces, Dressings, and Spreads.

[This message has been edited by Linda Sutton (edited September 27, 2000).]

Re: Where Can I Find???? - 09/28/00 12:17 AM

Thanks, Linda. That first one looks like just what I was looking for!

Re: Where Can I Find???? - 10/17/00 01:14 AM

Anyone have a good pumpkin pie recipe? I have one, but it uses a lot of eggs, and I'd like a different one!

Thanks!

------------------
Sarah Moss
*Prayer Changes Things!*

Re: Where Can I Find???? - 10/17/00 03:16 AM

Hi Sarah,

Here is a recipe that my wife gave me in answer to your post.

Eggless Pumpkin Pie

Ingredients:

3 1/4 c. mashed pumpkin

2 c. evaporated milk or thick soy milk

1/4 c. cornstarch

1/4 c. margarine

1/2 c. honey

1/4 c. brown sugar

1 Tbsp. vanilla

1/2 tsp. maple flavouring

1 Tbsp. ground coriander

1 1/2 Tbsp. molasses

1/2 tsp. salt

Method:
Blend all ingredients.
Pour into pie shell.
Bake at 425 F for 15 minutes, then at 250 F for 1 1/4 hours.
Is nice and firm when cooled.

Yield:
2 deep pies.

If you try it, let us know if you like it.

Daryl

Re: Where Can I Find???? - 10/17/00 03:32 AM

Here is a very good, totally vegan pumpkin pie recipe. You may need to adjust a bit to the slight difference in taste, due to the use of different spices than are usually used in pumpkin pies, before you fully appreciate the flavor.

Pumpkin Pie

3 ¼ cup cooked pumpkin, mashed smooth
2 cup soy milk
¼ cup cornstarch
¼ cup honey
½ cup date, raw, or brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 tablespoon coriander
1 ½ tablespoon molasses
½ teaspoon salt

Blend smooth. Pour into unbaked pie shell. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, then at 250 for 1 ¼ hour. Chill to set.

Here is a carrot pie that you might enjoy trying too. People always think it is pumpkin pie when they see it.

Carrot Pie

3 cups soy milk
4 cups cooked carrots
6 tablespoons soy or oat flour
¼ cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
5 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt

Whirl in blender. Pour into baked pie crust. Bake at 300 for 1 hour. Cool and serve.

------------------

Re: Where Can I Find???? - 10/17/00 03:38 AM

I see Daryl came along while I was typing my recipes and posted an almost identical one. Maybe we use some of the same cookbooks? But I guess my pie pans must be bigger than his wife's, since mine takes the whole recipe for one pie.

------------------

© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church