What Do You Eat?

Posted By: me again

What Do You Eat? - 04/11/01 01:38 AM

What Do You Eat?

My daily diet varies, so what I'm eating this month, I'll get sick and tired of and will completely change by next month. Anyways, I'm curious: What do you eat?

Here is a sample of my what I'm on now:

5:30 a.m. -- Stiff cup of black coffee (I am an addict & I know it is unhealthy. Chorus: Hi forum members ! )

8:30 a.m. -- Freshly squeezed grapefruit juice mixed with soy protein isolate, green tea extract, grape seed extract & water soluable fiber.

Noon -- Vegetarian burrito, a plain red potato, vegetarian link sausage.

Dinner -- Soy milk mixed with grape seed extract, red potatos and another vegetarian burrito.

How bout you? What do you survive on? (just curious)

Re: What Do You Eat? - 04/11/01 01:44 AM

I know I'm going to get hammered about the coffee. I can't quit it. I've tried several times, only resulting in severe headaches that last over three days. Trust me, you've never experienced a headache like this kind (and some kind come not out, except by prayer & fasting -- LOL)
Posted By: DrD

Re: What Do You Eat? - 04/11/01 04:59 AM

Wow! No wonder you have to change every month!

My menu is not that standard, but it generally goes something like this:

Breakfast - NEVER! Unless I have a morning meeting, then its usually oatmeal with real cream and brown sugar.

Lunch - When there is a meeting - whatever the special is at the restaurant, unless it is pig products. (I get some friendly harassment when the special is of that variety!) When no meeting, whatever is in the refrig - usually some kinda cold sandwich.

Dinner - When there is a meeting - whatever they serve, with the same above reservation. Rotary night - usually at least one or two chicken legs, plus whatever else is on the buffet. No meeting, whatever is left in the refrig, or on a "good" nite, a tv dinner, nuked to perfection.

Sabbath - that's special, last week had angel hair with olive oil and roasted garlic. Sometimes Oriental. Sometimes Mexican. Sometimes just good ole American.

Sabbath evening - whatever is in the refrig, again!

When I travel, a lot of coffee in the morning, (see not everyone will chastise you!) and most often an omlet, with lots of Hollandaise sauce. Lunch, usually a carryin lunch at the church I am visiting, and dinner, if I'm alone, room service at the hotel.

I"ll bet you don't get any other replies close to being similar to this one!!!

Posted By: Linda Sutton

Re: What Do You Eat? - 04/11/01 05:38 AM

Gentlemen, this forum is about healthy eating and healthful diet. Seventh-day Adventists have had a health message for nearly 140 years. Today science is proving that what that little lady, Ellen White, wrote those many years ago was correct.

The Bible says that our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit, that we are bought with a price, an infinite price. We are not our own. When we mistreat and abuse our bodies through an unhealthy diet, we are sinning against God. (see 1 Cor. 6:19, 20)

This is especially true for whose who are SDA, for they have the benefit of the health message. Some continue to eat meat, even in the face of overwhelming evidence that it is full of disease, and causes disease. Some are vegetarian, but they still eat a junk food diet. A vegetarian diet is healthy only if a person chooses to make it healthy.

This forum is not the place to flaunt the unhealthy diet that one eats. If anyone is seeking information and help in changing to a healthier diet, that can be found here. It is the reason for this forum. If you don't see what you want to know, ask a question. We will be glad to help you. But please let no one continue this discussion in the track that it is now going in.

Thank you.

------------------
For I know that my redeemer liveth,
and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth.

Linda

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: What Do You Eat? - 04/11/01 08:53 AM

Hi Me Again!

Just have a tip on how to kick the coffee habit. I was as addicted as you are. To Latte's and Mochas and regular coffee. I tried to quit several times and ended up with headaches that would blind me, make me throw up, and feel like fainting. Well, in my search for thyroid help, I came across Kelp capsules. I started taking them, and as my energy came up I gradually lost the desire and need for coffee. The clincher? I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms! I feel so much better now that I am off of coffee. My energy is incredible and I dropped 23 pounds in 6 weeks. (Not just from the coffee, other factors as well). But my body was so full of toxins from the coffee and other unhealthful foods, that when the kelp started cleansing my system, I lost all the toxins as well as the fluid my body was retaining.
I take 3000mg of Kelp a day in vegetarian capsules and not irradiated. The irradiation destroys the good effects the iodine in the kelp has on your thyroid.

Well, I hope you give it a try. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

God bless,
Wendy

Re: What Do You Eat? - 04/11/01 04:34 PM

quote:
Posted by Linda Sutton:
Some continue to eat meat, even in the face of overwhelming evidence that it is full of disease, and causes disease.

I don't eat meat, although I confess that I do backslide and pig out on it every so often. I usually fall back into daily healthful habits.

quote:
Posted by Linda Sutton:
Some are vegetarian, but they still eat a junk food diet.

You mean I have to give up the bag of chocolate covered M&M peanuts at night (after eating healthy all day)?

(That was a rhetorical question - of course too much candy is unhealthy).

quote:
Posted by Linda Sutton:
This forum is not the place to flaunt the unhealthy diet that one eats.

Actually, I was curious as to what kinds of daily diets that others are eating. Hopefully, people are eating healthy. On a personal level, I eat extremely healthy (probably more healthy than most others). But, maybe I backslide more than others too.

Re: What Do You Eat? - 04/11/01 04:44 PM

quote:
Posted by WendyForsyth:
Just have a tip on how to kick the coffee habit. I was as addicted as you are. I tried to quit several times and ended up with headaches that would blind me.

Yep, you're describing my symptoms. I've been scared to try and quit (again) for fear of the pain returning (again) from the withdrawl symptoms.

quote:
Posted by WendyForsyth:
In my search for help, I came across Kelp capsules. My energy came up. I gradually lost the desire and need for coffee. I feel so much better now that I am off of coffee.

The clincher? I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms! My energy is incredible.

Yes, I have a hunch that ridding the diet of caffeine would give a person greater energy (even though coffee gives a temporary surge of energy).

quote:
Posted by WendyForsyth:
I take 3000 mg of Kelp a day in vegetarian capsules and not irradiated.

I guess I should try it. When I'm at the health store, I'll look for it. You're dose (3000 mgs.) is high --- Guess I'd need a high dose to quit --- I've been addicted for many years.

Thanks for the tip !

Posted By: Gerry Buck

Re: What Do You Eat? - 04/11/01 05:06 PM

I guess I was one of the lucky ones, then.
I drove a truck, and truck drivers live, yeah right, on coffee.
When I embraced the adventist faith, I accepted the health message and quit.

I should mention that I was drinking from 3-6 quarts a day.Depending on where I went and the availability.
The only real problem I had was about 2 months after I quit.
I wanted to lose weight [ Linda forguve me ] so took Dexatrim.
Didn't read the lable, it had caffeine, I spent a week in the hospital, the first 28 hours in the CCU.
I had become allergic to caffeine.
Heart went nuts.
Still does if I drink or eat anything with caffeine in it.
Other than that, no problems.
I think I'll check out the kelp idea and see if it will give me energy.
I'm on a diet now because of my diabetes and overweight, energy level went into the basement.

[This message has been edited by Gerry Buck (edited April 11, 2001).]

Posted By: Edward F Sutton

Re: What Do You Eat? - 04/11/01 05:07 PM

Hi guys,

I been there done that. When I get strong cravings for meat, here's what works for me.

I get in the kitchen & make more of my brand of gluten steaks in bulk. I can only guess that the combo of taste, smell, color, toughness (I like nawing on tough food at a time like that), food yeast & possible hot stuff in the recipe seem to satisfy the cravings.

What scares me about my personal reaction if I should return to eating meat. Sabbath breaking. Yup ,Sabbath breaking .

It seems than when I cross bridges spiritually to allow my self to rebel and eat meat, Sabbath breaking & a lot of other things involving my personal appitites start burning bridges inside & acting that out externally.

I guess I am one of those polorized intense folks who does few things half-way.

I see what I eat for me, as a tug of war between my ok limits and natural appetites and worship. For me meat eating seems to be a big no no. The last time I got back into that (early 80's) it was one of the main ways I pulled my family down & me as the front runner. It took six years and a literal "act of God" to get us back. Pushing my own envelope is for me not wise.

1. I got information that convicted me.
2. That conviction created in me, desire to follow that information.
3. That desire I acted out on the strength of that information .
4. That action was in accepting Jesus and His teachings, and that's what made me an Adventist. A strong part of those teachings are dietary subbordination to His authority & teachings on the subject. For me that has been quite a process . I had to travel in stages. Some were very fast, once I found pork & the other unclean is a no no, pork and the unclean went bye bye pronto. Others took lots more time.

The family reaction was portracted & often intense. Pork Chops were high among my pre-SDA favorites. My memory & taste buds did not drown in the baptistry. They had to be step by step brought under subjection to my Master to prepare for baptism, and guess what - I still have to corral them. It is not as strong as it always used to be, but sometimes it is. Especially with pumping iron & craveing protein, but He said follow Him & grow. Some things I get to add as I go, some things I learn to leave behind.

For me I guess I see what I eat & drink as a major part of my personal worship & subordination to Jesus. It ain't always easy to tell myself no, but it's worth it & when I have problems - He's not just an after the fact Saviour when I need His strength before the fact (as well as after the fact.)

For some giving up unclean is mucho tough, for some not.

Only with & by the presence of Jesus in a person are any kind of changes desired, made, and for the spiritually right reasons. There was never a spiritual reason for my giving up any kind of things I did not like. I quit cause I didn't like them.

Lot's of stuff would still taste good, but in the things that are no no's that His information given has revealed, He matters more than the good taste in the eating & drinking of what He said was no no's in His world. He doesn't twist my arm, but He touches my heart.

Battles with caffeine, been there & done that & have to read labels. Since it's a stimulant it hits the entire central nervous system, heart, brain, kidneys, & every where.

To a person with a bad heart it packs a merciless wallop. it can cause tachycardia (uncontrolable much too rapid heart beat which can kill depending on condition & amount of OD levels of caffeine.) it causes the body to extra strongly release it's reserves of adreniline, blood sugar, chemical energy stores, change fat metabolism, and cause the body to go into artificial overdrive and uses up the emergency reserves. Then the levels of chemical stimulation leaves & so are the reserves. Caffeine causes the blood vessels to constrict un naturally, then as it's worst effects die away the blood vessels swell & in the brain cause a "bull goat" head ache. It takes 72 hours to detox & then the headache is gone.

Some folks are able to endure it till it passes, others stairstep down till they can quit all the way. Caffeine is a drug & it is the most available drug that can gateway for some. It ain't fair, but it's the world we live in. When we use it, it grabs us back.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

[This message has been edited by Edward F Sutton (edited April 11, 2001).]

Re: What Do You Eat? - 04/11/01 07:04 PM

Hi guys!

Glad to hear you are going to try it. It really is a miracle food. The high levels of iodine in the kelp with no sodium do wonders for your thyroid function. If you get a brand that has high amounts of the kelp in each capsule, you don't have to take too many. For 100-175 pounds, you need the 3000. If you are over that, the amount goes up. But don't go by the bottle on some of these. Some will tell you to only take one a day. This is no where near the level you need to get a therapeudic dose. I lost so much fluid, I was able to see the bones in my hands, feet and back, for the first time in 4 years. I can't recommend it enough. Let me know how it goes.

God bless,
Wendy

Re: What Do You Eat? - 04/11/01 08:21 PM

Linda

I am sorry you became offended at a discussion of the type of food that forum members eat. I rather hope you are not of the opinion that all members of the Seventh-day Adventist church are convicted in the manner you are regarding diet.

If this area of the forum is limited to discussion as you described, than it is obvious that my comments and beliefs are not appropriate here, and I will not visit it again.

It is interesting, however, that it is appropriate to "flaunt" "sinless" vegetarian diet lifestyles, but when someone else indicates that such is not the only lifestyle available to members of the Seventh-day Adventist Church, it is not appropriate. Nowhere in the 27 fundamental beliefs do I find any statement as you set forth in your post, nor do I find it in the baptismal vows. I don't find it in scripture either. You may interpret certain scriptures that way, and I may not. God is leading in my life too.

God bless you in your travel along this life's pathway, and I guess we can request Jesus for an interpretation when we meet at the River of Life, if anyone still cares.

I hope that you live many more years than I do. But when I compare those years to eternity, it is difficult to compute a percentage of additional longevity.

------------------
And the second is like it . . .

Posted By: Linda Sutton

Re: What Do You Eat? - 04/12/01 06:24 AM

DrD,

First, I was not offended by what you or "me again" wrote. As a moderator of the Healthy Diet and Recipes Forum, I, like the other moderators, have a responsibility to keep the topics close to what that forum is about. That is why people occasionally find topics moved to other locations. It has nothing to do with whether or not I am offended. I considered moving the topic to a different forum, but chose to leave it here, hoping to channel into a more productive conversation more in keeping with the theme of this particular forum.

I moderate this forum because it is a favorite subject of mine. I enjoy cooking and I enjoy eating. No, I do not believe that all Seventh-day Adventists are convicted on eating a vegetarian diet. I know quite a number of them who don't. And guess what? I don't preach to them about diet either. If they come to me with questions, I try to answer as truthfully as I can. When I have an opportunity to promote a healthy vegetarian diet, I do. But I've observed that people don't respond very well when they are choking on what people are trying to cram down their throat.

But if I may ask, were you offended by what I wrote? The following sentences quoted from your last post seen to indicate that to me. But of course, I could be wrong. Words, without body language and voice inflection, do not always properly convey what one really means.

It is interesting, however, that it is appropriate to "flaunt" "sinless" vegetarian diet lifestyles, but when someone else indicates that such is not the only lifestyle available to members of the Seventh-day Adventist Church, it is not appropriate. Nowhere in the 27 fundamental beliefs do I find any statement as you set forth in your post, nor do I find it in the baptismal vows. I don't find it in scripture either. You may interpret certain scriptures that way, and I may not. God is leading in my life too.

I find this statement of yours interesting. But another question first. What do you mean about the 27 fundamental doctrines not containing any statement as I set forth in my post or in the baptismal vows? As I recall, they both contain a reference to the body being the temple of the Holy Spirit. But sir, is not our faith based upon the Bible? The whole Bible? Is our faith limited to 27 doctrines, no more, no less? If something is not spelled out specifically in the 27, is it therefore invalid?

"Flaunt" a "sinless" vegetarian diet lifestyle? Am I correct in assuming that a "vegetarian diet lifestyle" seems to be distasteful to you? If you choose to eat meat, following the lists of clean animals (you stated that you don't eat pork so I assume that you eat only clean meats), I wouldn't call that a sin. I have, however, met some health fanatics who would.

If you will more closely read my post, I think you will find that I did not say that those who eat meat are sinners. I said that those who abuse their bodies by eating an unhealthy diet are sinning. A person can never touch a piece of meat, and still be abusing their bodies with an unhealthy diet. I remember a letter written by a teen to the magazine Vegetarian Times calling herself a vegetarian junk food junkie. She certainly wasn't eating a healthy diet and knew it!

God was gracious is sending us the health message through the inspiration of Ellen White. We would all benefit by following that counsel, but no one, not even God, will force us to. I could offer quote after quote from the SOP on the question of vegetarianism, healthy diet, appetite, and meat eating, but I won't.

A couple of texts come to mind that pertain to appetite:

Meats for the belly, and the belly for meats: but God shall destroy both it and them. 1 Corinthians 6:13

Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things. Philippians 3:19

And finally one quote that has stuck with me:
Greater reforms should be seen among the people who claim to be looking for the soon appearing of Christ. Health reform is to do among our people a work which it has not yet done. There are those who ought to be awake to the danger of meat eating, who are still eating the flesh of animals, thus endangering the physical, mental, and spiritual health. Many who are now only half converted on the question of meat eating will go from God's people, to walk no more with them. {CH 575.2}

A solemn statement and one that deserves some serious consideration.

------------------
For I know that my redeemer liveth,
and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth.

Linda

Re: What Do You Eat? - 04/12/01 02:43 PM

quote:
Posted by Linda Sutton:
I was not offended by what you or "me again" wrote.

I too thought you were offended, based upon what you wrote:

quote:
Posted by Linda Sutton:
Gentlemen, this forum is about healthy eating and healthful diet.

This forum is not the place to flaunt the unhealthy diet that one eats.

If anyone is seeking information and help in changing to a healthier diet, that can be found here. It is the reason for this forum.

Please let no one continue this discussion in the track that it is now going in.

Oh well...

Posted By: Edward F Sutton

Re: What Do You Eat? - 04/12/01 03:34 PM

Guy's I would assume that Linda is trying to nip any possible bragging about boasting about variations in diet that go 180% degrees away from what her forum is about as far as the type of food eaten.

However it does open up the real question of why do any of us eat what we eat? When we eat ? How much or how little we eat ? Is our food our intentions counted unto us a righteousness, or is it just the thing we do to be the scourge of the carrot world ???

Personally I think that why, when, how much or little we eat & if we lead or mandate is right up there with the what we eat. Who are we pleasing, ourselves alone, ourselves & Satan, or ourselves & God ? Good questions all. Since this is the real issue in eating - to please one of the three groups listed & most folks don't bring this deeper issue up. Why not a thread, "why do we eat & who do we please. I gotta see the dentist in 10 min, so does someone want to start that kind of a thread ??? See ya later with a numbbbbbb mouth, bye .

------------------
Edward F Sutton

Re: What Do You Eat? - 04/13/01 02:36 AM

Okay, so what are you chewing on to survive in this fast paced world? Chicken legs? Burritos?

My burritos are vegan -- they have lots of stuff in them.

Posted By: Tom Wetmore

Re: What Do You Eat? - 04/23/01 09:55 PM

Wendy,

Do you suppose that the energy boost from kelp is another stimulant like caffeine or perhaps a natural source of caffeine? It could explain your lack of caffeine withdrawal symptoms and increased energy!

There is a fruit in the Amazon region that the natives eat for an energy boost, guaranara (or something like that). Civilization in Brazil has adopted it and makes drinks, soda, suppliments, etc. to help give you an energy boost. Turns out that this natural product of the Amazon jungle is packed with a well recognized stimulant, Caffeine. You don't suppose kelp is the sea's source of caffeine?

Tom

Posted By: Sarah Moss

Re: What Do You Eat? - 04/23/01 11:21 PM

While we are on the subject of Kelp, I want to note that my doctor recommended it to me because it apparently helps reduce breast cancer. Keeps the tissue from becoming fibrous or something. Anyway, it's definitely good for the ladies! Just an FYI, and yes, I have (finally) begun taking it - if I can remember to!

------------------
Sarah Moss
*Prayer Changes Things!*

Re: What Do You Eat? - 04/24/01 12:30 AM

Kelp is not a natural source of caffeine.

Methinks you are harassing me.

I used to drink Guarana in Brazil as a child. Maybe that's why my mom....hmmmm.Nah!

Actually it is the high doses of iodine in the kelp that boost the thyroid function. Your thyroid cannot function without appropriate levels of iodine. Our soils are so depleted of minerals that we are probably more deficient than we realize. Also, eating lots of sodium is not beneficial therefore is not a good source of iodine. So, Kelp is the perfect solution. I have a boost because my poor, abused thyroid finally is getting what it needs.

God bless,
Wendy

ps~I'm glad to hear you are trying it Sarah! Think of how healthy Asian people are. What do they eat? Lots of Kelp and Soy. Little or no meat, and no dairy. (Until we corrupted them.)

Posted By: Tom Wetmore

Re: What Do You Eat? - 04/24/01 10:18 PM

Wendy,

Yeah, I was just giving you a hard time, for old times sake! Had you started to miss me yet?

Actually, before I posted I did a little research and found that the iodine in the kelp is at least part of the benefit. Skeptic that I am, I question some of the grandeous cure-all claims, but I think I ought to try some myself and get my wife started on it. It could help energy-wise in my big bike ride this summer. I was impressed by your experience with it in kicking the caffeine addiction. About a third of caffeine users apparently don't have any withdrawal symptoms, but for those who do this may be a real benefit.

I was exposed to Guarana a few years ago while in Rio staying with relatives. One person in the household even laced his coffee with the Guarana powder! There was an attempt to import to this area the Guarana soda from Brazil, but it apparently didn't take off because I only saw it for a short time in the grocery store.

Carry on!

Tom

Re: What Do You Eat? - 04/24/01 11:49 PM

Tom

Hmmm, was I missing you? Hmmm. Hmmmm.

I truly hope that your experience with Kelp will be as much of a blessing as mine. I have lost about 30 pounds now and am down from a size 14 pants(sometimes 16 ) to a size 8-10. Very much more comfortable. I can do so much more now, and it is helping me exercise more. I actually miss Guarana. I saw it on the shelves as well, but it went away toooo quickly.

Always good to hear from you Brother Tom

God bless you,
Wendy

Re: What Do You Eat? - 05/11/01 06:15 AM

I was informed by a friend that you had responded to me, and I promised that when I was ready I would read it. I have now kept that promise. In response to your question, yes, I was offended by your response. I felt it was out of line and improper. No response is necessary. I do not anticipate that I will look into this section again, now that I have kept my promise. We both will more than likely be better off that way. Thank you.

------------------
And the second is like it . . .

Re: What Do You Eat? - 05/15/01 09:45 PM

I find that all these self help cures are wonderful. I have discovered the Joe Crews Trusting Plan Bible Plan, with any unhealthy practice.

1)
Mt 7:11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

2)

1Co 15:57 But thanks [be] to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

3)

Ro 6:11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

4)
Ro 13:14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to [fulfil] the lusts [thereof].

It seems that this plan always works and for healing with symptoms.

Ex 15:26 And said, If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the LORD thy God, and wilt do that which is right in his sight, and wilt give ear to his commandments, and keep all his statutes, I will put none of these diseases upon thee, which I have brought upon the Egyptians: for I [am] the LORD that healeth thee.

GOd may remove the craving or not. We need to turn away and resist the temptation. This is a part of growing into a spiritual Christian. Amen. Amen.

Re: What Do You Eat? - 05/15/01 11:52 PM

-------------

I have edited out Wendy's post as it needs to be worded differently, however, I do not want to put my own words in Wendy's typing finger, therefore, I am asking her to edit it again by wording it in a way that will still nicely and lovingly convey the message she wishes to present.

[This message has been edited by Daryl Fawcett (edited May 16, 2001).]

© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church