Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State

Posted By: Linda Sutton

Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 12/24/03 04:47 AM

A report in New York Newsday says:
quote:
Washington -- A single Holstein on a Washington state farm has tested positive for mad cow disease, marking the disease's first suspected appearance in the United States, the Bush administration announced Tuesday as it assured Americans their food is safe. . . .

Veneman said the Holstein, which could not move on its own, was found at a farm in Mabton, Wash., about 40 miles southeast of Yakima, and tested preliminarily positive for the brain-wasting illness on Dec. 9. Parts of the cow that would be infected -- the brain, the spinal cord and the lower part of the small intestine -- were removed before the animal went to a meat processing plant. . . .

Veneman said the Agriculture Department has had safeguards in place since 1990 to check for mad cow disease and 20,526 cows had been tested in 2003 in the United States.

Testing 20,526 cows is supposed to make people feel better? I checked the USDA reports and found that 2.43 million cows were slaughtered in the US in November of this year, 3 million in October and 3.14 million the month before. Over one year that comes to about 36 millions cows. If I did my math correctly, that means only one cow in about 1800 is tested for BSE. I wouldn't want to trust that kind of odds. Those who continue to eat meat are taking a huge risk.
Posted By: John H.

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 12/24/03 04:51 AM

Dairy users too --

http://www.notmilk.com/m.html
Posted By: Daryl

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 12/24/03 05:19 AM

The CBC TV News is talking about it from a Canadian perspective.

It looks like Canada and Japan and others will be closing its borders to beef import from the USA in the same way that Japan and the USA and others did to Canada.

The USA is saying the same thing that Canada said in that it is an isolated case, however, the USA still closed its borders to Canadian exports in the same way that Canada will now be closing its borders to USA exports.

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 12/24/03 06:59 AM

Interesting timeline --

http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/12/23/madcow.chronology.reut/index.html
Posted By: Brandi

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 12/24/03 10:15 AM

quote:
The USA is saying the same thing that Canada said in that it is an isolated case, however, the USA still closed its borders to Canadian exports in the same way that Canada will now be closing its borders to USA exports.

What's that saying?

What goes around, comes around? I believe that if the USA can close it's borders to Canada when something like that happens, so should Canada be able to and should close it's doors to USA for the very same reasons. K ser rah ser rah.

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 12/24/03 05:34 PM

Yes, Canada should rightfully have the same health concerns that the USA claimed.

It will be interesting to see how this all unfolds.

One thing for certain, Japan seems to be treating both countries the same in relation to their own health concerns.

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 12/25/03 07:19 AM

I found the following quote from the following CNN web site link very interesting:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/12/24/mad.cow/index.html

quote:

The sick animal came from a farm in Mabton, Washington, about 40 miles southeast of Yakima. It was a so-called "downer" animal, meaning it was unable to walk when it reached the slaughterhouse, which under USDA rules triggers automatic testing.

Congress considered but rejected legislation this year that would have banned the use of any "downed animal" parts for human consumption.

I suspect that Congress now wishes it didn't reject that legislation which may now cost them billions of dollars in loss beef exporting revenu.

I am also surprised that for health reasons Congress would even allow such an obviously sick animal to be slaughtered and processed for meat consumption.
Posted By: rhammen

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 12/25/03 07:58 AM

I just hope all this mad cow stuff will inspire people all over the place to consider a vegetarian regimine and that our church will respond and give them answers to their questions. I couldn't care less about the political aspects, but rather see this as a great chance to share the right arm of the gospel with those who don't know better. In our church we along with two others are the only vegetarians there.

Greetings to all the church in the Maritimes.

Dick Hammen
Posted By: Wendy F

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 12/25/03 12:50 AM

Daryl, all the US cares about is money. Period.

wf [Mad]

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 12/25/03 06:35 AM

It really is pretty hypocritical how the U.S. slams the borders shut whenever another nation has a case of BSE, but now that we have one here the gov't. scrambles to assure everyone that "everything's OK, the meat supply's safe".

Yeah right. Just how do they know this for certain? (The answer is, they don't. They can't.)

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 12/26/03 06:39 AM

It has been confirmed that the USA has its first case of Mad Cow Disease.

It will be interesting to see how this now affects the beef importing and exporting between Canada and the USA.
Posted By: Avalee

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 12/27/03 03:02 PM

Listening to the news talk about this (and they are sure doing alot of it) what I hear coming out the loudest is that no ones needs to worry about eating meat. They keep saying over and over that the meat supply is ok and not to worry. Yea right!!! All they are afraid of is losing all that money because of this. What a shame.
Posted By: J. R. Layman

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 12/27/03 08:05 PM

Daryl, before you get tired, over your GLOATING over the discomfort of the United States, about one cow we’ve found with “mad cow disease.” re:”Yes, Canada should rightfully have the same health concerns that the USA claimed.”

You may wish to consider the following report!

Investigators Trace Diseased Cow to Canada

Dec 27, 11:28 AM (ET)

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Holstein infected with mad cow disease in Washington state was imported into the United States from Canada about two years ago, federal investigators tentatively concluded Saturday.

Dr. Ron DeHaven, chief veterinarian for the Agriculture Department, said Canadian officials have provided records that indicate the animal was one of a herd of 74 cattle that were shipped from Alberta, Canada, into this country at Eastport, Idaho.

"These animals were all dairy cattle and entered the U.S. only about two or two-and-a-half years ago, so most of them are still likely alive," DeHaven said.

He emphasized that just because the sick cow was a member of that herd, it does not mean that all 74 animals are infected.

Based on the Canadian records, the cow was 6 1/2-years-old - older than U.S. officials had thought,

DeHaven said. U.S. papers on the cow said she was 4- or 4 1/2-years-old.

The age is significant because the United States and Canada have banned feed that could be the source of infection since 1997.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20031227/D7VMR6I80.html

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 12/27/03 08:43 PM

I am not gloating, however, the fact still remains that a cow has been diagnosed with Mad Cow disease within the continental USA.

And yes, both Canada and the USA and the rest of the world should have the same health concerns.

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 12/27/03 10:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Daryl Fawcett:
I am not gloating,

Hmmmmm, one might have guessed differently. As each of your 4 post on this subject appear to somehow be either comparing the U.S. vs. Canada...or remarking about internal American politics. (leaving un-said, comparable political decisions made by Canada)

The Americaphobia you demonstrate IMO is quite palatable (but then, that's so TYPICALLY Canadian!)

[Big Grin] [Razz] [Big Grin]

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 12/28/03 12:26 AM

Yes, I was doing some comparing, especially where the USA was so quick to close its border with Canada saying it was only an isolated case, and now the USA is saying the same thing, hoping that Canada and other countries wouldn't do to the USA as the USA did to Canada.

What is good for the goose is also good for the gander. [Big Grin]
Posted By: Dora

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 12/28/03 10:33 AM

I, personally, saw Daryl's comments as simply information and concern, he certainly did not seem to be "GLOATING!" I appreciate the information, especially to a group of people who hopefully, are mostly vegetarians, or, if not, will soon decide to be with this news!!

It would be pretty ignorant and/or cruel for ANYONE, ANYWHERE, to be "GLOATING" about such a potentially dangerous situation.

I was also reading that the amount of money "gained" by using this suspect cow, can actually snowball into more financial loss than can be imagined. And, that is not even taking into account the danger to health and life. The USA, or any country is so wrong to knowingly put the majority of people at risk.

I have heard a few "meat eaters" state, though, that they were not eating any more beef. (Of course, that is for now, anyway!)
Posted By: rhammen

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 12/28/03 06:53 PM

Politics, right or wrong, tends to divide, doesn't it?

If we are going to fight, it should be about moral issues not whether or not the US or Canada are just interested in self preservation. All countries are basically fueled by one thing-- money.

It's about time the beef, pork, poultry and all other meat industries take a big hit. We spend billions (some countries) on cleaning human waste, but most animal waste goes untreated and runs off into our rivers and lakes.

If are poultry factory moves into your neighborhood, you better plan on selling your home.

I feel sorry for the individual farmers who suffer when these things happen, but I rejoice
when the meat industry looses a little prestige.

Mad cow disease is no joke. Ask the British families who have suffered its ill effects. E-coli poisoning is no joke either.

Let's look at the positive side. EGWhite said that if flesh eating was ever safe, it isn't now. How about 100 years after her statements? We should be saying, "We told you so?" But we can't because we haven't.

When I get a chance to talk about this issue I'll just say, "Chalk up one more for vegetarianism."

Richard
Posted By: Andrew Marttinen

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 12/28/03 10:58 PM

I have worked as a pastor out West (Manitoba and Saskatchewan) where most of the members are cattle farmers. Their profit margins are razor thin. They have had to endure drought, the cutting down of the bigger trees in the forest (many work in the bush during the winter months), emptying towns and now this. One year in Hudson Bay Junction, Saskatchewan, we had several suicides. They were farmers who saw no hope...

Of course, we're here to give them hope. But churches depend on strong, basically balanced and happy members to keep them going. Unfortunately they were and are falling over like dominoes because the members become too old and the younger ones move out West or go to the States where the jobs are. (While I'm complaining, let us not forget part of my job was to make sure the teenagers and young adults who are being groomed to take over chruch leadership left for the our Western boarding school). The conference president in the 1990's called some of us pastors together and brought up the idea of home churches because the buildings were emtying so quickly. My local ministerium said that all of their members and denomination leaderships were dealing with the same thing--so it can't be doctrine or lack of vision in the local church that can be blamed for the general trend.

Mad Cow may be the straw that breaks the camel's back--ironically in Iraq and Iran, the land of the camel (and falafel vendors), they're dealing with some of their own problems...

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 12/29/03 08:29 AM

FWIW Dora, when someone says “What is good for the goose is also good for the gander.” In an UNCALLED for remark, comparing their individual countries…it certainly sounds like “GLOATING” over the difficulties that may be encountered by the United States! I can’t recall anyone here putting down Canada, when Canada had a “mad cow disease” scare several months ago.

Actually I’m not surprised by Daryl’s demeanor….it’s a TYPICAL Canadian response in some quarters. . For some reason, some Canadians seem to enjoy seeing the United States have difficulties. And the theme of Daryl’s several remarks on this subject clearly indicated his rather inept attempts to “rub it in” so to speak.

OTOH….he should have taken into consideration the apparent FACT, that this sole incident…..ORIGINATED IN CANADA, before he opened his trap and inserted his foot!

Andrew…..good to see you and hear your well seasoned remarks.

Likewise, although this region isn’t heavy on cattle, (although we do have several feed lots around). Primarily we’re a cotton (the largest cotton growing region in the United States!) and now (in the last 20 years) peanut growing region. It’s amazing to pass by the countryside and see every section or so, a group of trees, and perhaps even the remnants of a farmhouse. These indicate the previous economy of almost subsistence farming on 180 acres…….

I did note an article in today’s paper. A “farmer” out in California’s Central Valley, is selling out his farm for 1.5 million dollars. Seems that selling the “water rights” which his family attached to his farm 90 some years ago, makes it more productive to sell his water rights to the city of Los Angeles and cease farming!

Now with large machinery, one farmer around here can make a solid living, raising cotton on 500 to 2500 acres, with perhaps only one helper.

I’m not saying it’s good or bad, simply that it’s a fact of life, that farming is changing along with the total economy. Whilst it is thought that our local economy is dependent on aquaculture, the fact remains that in raw new dollars coming into this city of 200,000. That Medical Services is the largest generator of new $$$, and that a second generator is telephone call service centers. Manufacturing, wholesale and retail commerce probably come in, in equal proportions to agriculture.. And your right….the small towns are simply drying up……there aren’t any population centers of significance for 150 miles either north or south, and for almost 350 miles to the east or west!
Posted By: Ikan

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 12/29/03 04:02 PM

Future Citizens of Heaven:

Put down your earthly flags!
There will be no borders in the New Earth, nor love of country,race or class there.

Ditch these sentiments before He comes or you will be left with your sins of nationalistic pride. Don't make your arm of flesh your downfall.

ALL pride in human institutions is faulty.

Cling to His country, "The Promise of the New Earth."

As for meat:

"Flesh was never the best food; but its use is now doubly objectionable, since disease in animals is so rapidly increasing. Those who use flesh foods little know what they are eating. Often if they could see the animals when living and know the quality of the meat they eat, they would turn from it with loathing. People are continually eating flesh that is filled with tuberculous and cancerous germs. Tuberculosis, cancer, and other fatal diseases are thus communicated. {CG 382.3}
The effects of a flesh diet may not be immediately realized, but this is no evidence that it is not harmful. Few can be made to believe that it is the meat they have eaten which has poisoned their blood and caused their suffering. Many die of diseases wholly due to meat eating, while the real cause is not suspected by themselves or by others." {CG 382.4}

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 12/30/03 05:36 AM

AMEN! Ikan! A very timely post, as to where to put our priorities. Also, if that quote was observed by all of us, we would not have to fear for the disease for ourselves. And, we very well might be an influence on our loved ones who still eat meat.

I was so thankful to read that your Mother is better, perhaps this will even have a bearing on her thinking.

In His Love,
Dora

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 12/30/03 05:54 AM

I hope she does wake up, Dora, thank you.

As for nationalism:

"The Holy Spirit operates the same the world over. When it is received into the heart, the whole character is changed. "If any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new." [2 COR. 5:17.] Old habits and customs and national pride and prejudice are broken down. "The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance." [GAL. 5:22, 23.] When these are abiding in the soul, there will be unity of thought and action." {GW92 364.2}

Sad that Advent believers will let meat and nationalism cause a rift between them even for a second.

-

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 12/30/03 06:49 AM

I am not going to spar with you, J.R. Layman.

My comments were in relation to how quickly the USA shut its borders to Canada when one isolated diseased cow with Mad Cow Disease was discovered in Canada, however, when one was discovered within the borders of the USA itself, the USA was giving reasons why Japan shouldn't close its borders to the USA as the US had done to Canada.

My comments had nothing to do with being a Canadian. If I were an American, I would have had the same concerns.

After saying all that, we should be looking at the ramifications of Mad Cow disease, and both the reaction of Canada and now the USA in relation to it. This tells me that both Canada and the USA are more concerned in the economic loss than in the health of its own citizens. The problem is that money speaks louder than the health concerns of its respective citizens. I do commend both Canada and the USA for recalling the beef that they fear may have come from the respective affected diseased cows.

The Mad Cow disease is only one reason of many reasons why it is better and safer to be a vegetarian. What we see happening, first overseas, then in Canada, and now in the USA gives credence in what Ellen White wrote about animal food in these last days. It is definitely as sign of the times that we are in.

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 12/30/03 09:04 AM

Amen, once again! In the church where we attend, there are so many who still eat meat, and seem to just shut their ears and eyes to what is happening.

I mentioned recently to a church member about a neighbor buying a load of chicken manure to mix with the cow feed. The member was shocked. I believe even more shocked than when we first learned that cows were fed to other cows! It is awful to think what all the animals are fed which are being raised for human consumption.

It is certainly time to go back to God's plan for us, and to leave the meat, dairy products and eggs at the store.

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 12/30/03 09:41 AM

The odd myth among Adventists who talk about eating "clean" meat is shackling the Health Reform Message in non-SDA eyes. How can we claim freedom from ceremonial laws when we talk like and eat like this?? Sounds Jewish to everyone.

However, I am against any form of force among us concerning diet. One must decide from love and knowledge, not peer pressure.

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 12/30/03 02:28 PM

Some of the remarks posted on this thread border on the ludicrous. Some folks should stop embarrassing themselves ….by making statements which have no relationship to established SCIENTIFIC FACT! The chances of becoming ill with Creutzfeld-Jacobs Disease (CJD), due to eating bovine meat are so infinitesimal that some here have as much credibility as Chicken Little when she is shouting “The Sky is falling“

quote:
“Regardless of the cause, since first identified in the 1980s CSFAN reports that as of May 2003 there have been in total approximately 139 cases of vCJD worldwide, with only 1 case in 2000. Diarrhea diseases, in contrast, cause 2.2 million deaths every year.

Those fretting about mad cow probably think nothing of taking a bath (which kills 320 Americans a year), walking downstairs (which kills 1,421 Americans annually) or driving their car (which kills 42,000 of us each year). Our odds of getting vCJD from eating British beef, said the CDC, is about one in ten billion

Excerpts from
Tech Central Station
From http://www.techcentralstation.com/122903F.html

Don't Have a Cow, Man
By Sandy Szwarc, RN, BSN, CCP

quote:
If it's biologically implausible for humans to get mad cow from beef, why the alarm? "Because you don't let the facts get in the way of a good story," said Venter. "The mad cow disease story would be a non-story in the U.S. if it were not for the propaganda efforts of vegetarian groups," said the National Council Against Health Fraud. "EarthSave, PETA, PCRM, and the Seventh-day Adventist website have seized upon the opportunity to frighten people into behaving in ways they find ideologically delightful."

We can be assured of one thing when it comes to the safety of our food: media hysteria will be inversely proportional to actual risks.

Alfred Hitchcock knew a shadowy figure was far more terrifying than a well-lit known villain. Nothing haunts us more than our own imaginations, said Frank Furedi, sociologist at the University of Kent in Canterbury and author of The Culture of Fear (Continuum Publishing, 2002). Likewise today's newspapers and television networks have found that fictitious, sensationalized, "what-if?" scares of hidden dangers lurking in our foods make the juiciest stories guaranteed to capture audiences and sell papers.

The mania surrounding mad cow is already proving this point.
Since one aged dairy cow in Washington state was discovered last week to have bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), or "mad cow disease," there's been an explosion of news stories panicking about the safety of our beef.

What is known is that BSE is not contagious and cows cannot give it to each other or other animals just by living together. Nor can they give it to people. There's never been a single case. Despite that fact, 4.5 million innocent healthy cows were destroyed in England during the peak of their mad cow hysteria, devastating beef and dairy farms and creating an environmental disaster in disposing of all those dead carcasses. (Who needs terrorists when citizens can destroy their own food system?) With hope, reason will prevail, as it has in Canada since their BSE case last May, and the unnecessary mass slaughter of healthy animals won't be repeated.

Cows with BSE act like animals and people with other spongiform encephalopathies -- they lose muscle control, waste away and die. Creutzfeld-Jacobs Disease (CJD), one of the human spongiform encephalopathies, occurs spontaneously in about 1 in a million people, according to the World Health Organization. It appears to have a genetic component 5 to 10% of the time, with a small percentage iatrogenic. CJD is unrelated to mad cow as evidenced by the fact it occurs in England about the same frequency as the rest of the world, reports the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and APHIS. CJD has been around a long, long time -- long before mad cow ever hit the news, according to Konrad Eugster, MD, executive director of the Texas Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory at Texas A&M University.

In light of British panic over mad cow, their Spongiform Encephalopathy Advisory Committee has been closely studying and monitoring these diseases since 1990. On March 20, 1996 it noted 10 cases of human CJD that occurred in younger people and lasted longer than typically seen. Besides the fact that most variant-CJD victims had eaten beef at some time -- although no one had eaten brain tissue and one of the ten patients had been a vegetarian since 1991 -- they could find no scientific evidence linking BSE and vCJD.

That didn't stop vCJD from being labeled the human form of mad cow. A popular orthodoxy has evolved, fueled by media frenzy, that meat contaminated with the brain prions of mad cows could give people the disease. "It's all been much ado about nothing," said Scott C. Ratzan, director of the Emerson College/Tufts University School of Medicine Program in Health Communications and editor of the Journal of Health Communications. "Based on available scientific evidence, we can be virtually certain that mad cow disease poses no threat to humans."

The simple FACT is, that while it make’s a lot of good health sense to not eat “meat.” THERE IS NO SCRIPTURAL PROHIBITION against doing so. And to suggest that some SDA’s are not as good as other SDA’s because they eat “clean meat” and haven’t reached a decision as to not eating “meat.” HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THEIR SPIRITUAL CONDITION!!!!!!!!! Ellen White never said so, indeed she didn’t give up “meat eating” till 1890’s, a full 40 years AFTER her “Health Reform Vision!” And indeed she was eating even OYSTERS, as late at 1881!

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 12/30/03 02:48 PM

Well, you can trust "science" or you can trust God's Messenger. Or you can pretend to do both.

However, let's look at the SOP FACTS:

"Greater reforms should be seen among the people who claim to be looking for the soon appearing of Christ. Health reform is to do among our people a work which it has not yet done. There are those who ought to be awake to the danger of meat eating, who are still eating the flesh of animals, thus endangering the physical, mental, and spiritual health. Many who are now only half converted on the question of meat eating will go from God's people to walk no more with them." {CD 382.1} This was 1902.

Plain enough?

Frankly, I don't care how long it took EGW, you or anyone else to see the FACT that meat-eating effects the whole person. I will face the music spiritually alone, not being able to blame others for any of my disobedience.

This was God's Message to us, right? Or was it just Sister White's opinion?

Let's get spiritually honest, not culturally biased, Adventist or Canadian or Texan or Chinese!

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 12/30/03 10:07 PM

Ikan

Ellen White said so elegantly
quote:
There are those who ought to be awake to the danger of meat eating, who are still eating the flesh of animals
A idea I totally agree with it!

She SAID “THE DANGER OF MEAT EATING” She DID NOT SAY, “THE SIN OF MEAT EATING“!!!!!!

My PROBLEM is with folks like YOU, who will take the meaning and context OUT OF PROPORTION to what Ellen White wrote. Making the issue of eating meat an OBEDIENCE issue, subject to the penalties of SIN...in using words such as "DISOBEDIENCE." Both making the issue of meat eating and Ellen White an EXTRA BIBLICAL issue!

Remember
quote:
Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way. Romans 13:14
Your condemnation of any Adventist who don't see things your way, reminds me of the following quotation from the words of inspiration
quote:
A legal religion is insufficient to bring the soul into harmony with God. The hard, rigid orthodoxy of the Pharisees, destitute of contrition, tenderness, or love, was only a stumbling block to sinners. They were like the salt that had lost its savor; for their influence had no power to preserve the world from corruption. The only true faith is that which "worketh by love" (Galatians 5:6) to purify the soul. It is as leaven that transforms the character.Thoughts From the Mount of Blessing, page 53, paragraph 2

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 12/30/03 10:41 PM

JR, I do not mean this as being argumentative. But, I do feel that vegetarians have a right to state their reasons for their choice.

You speak of it not being a sin to eat meat...it would be for me now, if I ate it, when I know there are all kinds of other things much better for me.

But..I wouldn't choose now to eat meat,although I ate it for years. In fact, I cannot now stand to smell it cooking. I have no quarrel with you eating meat if you like, for that is up to each individual. But, no, I don't think anyone is being very smart if they continue to eat meat, with all the knowledge we have about it. Nor do I believe they are going by what we know to be God's ideal diet, if they continue to choose to eat meat. But, those are just my observations and beliefs.

Also, God won't force you or anyone else to not eat meat. Nor will I get "brownie points" for my choice. We do make choices everyday, and when we choose wrong, and later see that wrong, and ask God to forgive us, He does, but doesn't usually remove the consequences.

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 12/31/03 01:59 AM

Dora:

RE:
quote:
I do not mean this as being argumentative................ I have no quarrel with you eating meat if you like,
I DON'T, I'm a VEGIN, and one thing I really DON'T LIKE is dead cow! (unless I go to Seattle or Victoria B.C. on a visit, then I'm a seafood nut [Big Grin] .........I hope no one here has the stupidity to suggest that Christ didn't eat FISH!)

I just get a tad TIRED when someone uses BAD SCIENCE, QUOTES OUT OF CONTEXT, to come up with BAD THEOLOGY, and make things into SINS.....when they have NO SCRIPTURAL or SOP basis for doing so!

[ December 30, 2003, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: J. R. Layman ]

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 12/31/03 05:18 AM

JR: read the whole quote:
"Greater reforms should be seen among the people who claim to be looking for the soon appearing of Christ. Health reform is to do among our people a work which it has not yet done. There are those who ought to be awake to the danger of meat eating, who are still eating the flesh of animals, thus endangering the physical, mental, and spiritual health. Many who are now only half converted on the question of meat eating will go from God's people to walk no more with them." {CD 382.1} This was 1902.

Now her term "half converted" could mean part time vegans, right? She says meat, not beef.
Sin is also doing things that you like when you know God has instructed that for your generation (in our case the last highly polluted and toxic generation) that eating dead animals is dangerous, even spiritually.

If you wish to pick and choose what you want to believe, you have every right to live your life as you like. Only you have you to answer for.

However, for me not to side with the FACTS in the Advent Message just to justify my own tastes would be for me sin.

Oh, I have read your forum, understand your reasonings and do not wish to joust, spar,duel, or debate with you. If that makes me "chicken" in your eyes, so be it.

(fixed "joist" to "joust"...I would never make a feudal carpenter, would I?)

[ January 01, 2004, 12:22 AM: Message edited by: Ikan ]

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 12/31/03 06:50 AM

We're supposed to be preparing to go to heaven, right? In heaven there will be no meat eating. So it's a great idea to get accustomed to that lifestyle now, isn't it?

Years ago when I was a new SDA I had this same question, Is it a sin for an SDA to eat meat. So I wrote to the late Bro. Joe Crews of Amazing Facts, a man I admired (and still admire) greatly, about this and some other questions I had.

Part of his response:

quote:
A final statement about Sister White's counsel on meat eating. Neither she nor the Seventh-day Adventist church have made meat eating a moral issue involving sin. In other words, to eat it per se does not involve an act of sin; but I think we need to remind outselves that with the additional light available to Seventh-day Adventists and the additional knowledge of the contamination of meat, etc., it certainly would be a sin for me to eat it, and probably for most of our people who have this knowledge. I would not call meat eating a sin for anyone, but I would call it a sin for myself, because of my convictions about its affect on the body.
That advice from Pastor Joe seems totally in line with the Bible and SOP to me.

"Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin." James 4:17.
Posted By: Edwin O Owino

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 12/31/03 09:44 PM

Regarding health reform, a recent survey in Kenya found out that meat and milk contain unacceptable levels of antibiotics, though I have very little knowledge of medicine, the residual antibiotics apparently increases the resistance of the bacteria to medicine and therefore makes the bacteria deadlier.

Blessings,
EDWIN

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 01/01/04 07:38 AM

Great publicity for Seventh Day Adventist here in the Baltimore Sun, [Big Grin]

Better then spouting off BAD SCIENCE.....BTW did any of you notice that it's TWICE as likely to kill you in the United States in taking a bath in a bathtub...then eating DEAD COW and geting CJD? [Big Grin]

Sportsmen enjoy rare Sunday of deer hunting
One-day reprieve granted, lifting state ban imposed during the Colonial era

Baltimore Sun
Chris Guy
Published on December 1, 2003
© 2003- The Baltimore Sun

quote:
WITTMAN (Md.) -- Michael Spencer and his 16-year-old son, Sean, weren't looking to make history when they drove down to the Eastern Shore from their Montgomery County home yesterday. But if the first Sunday of deer hunting in Maryland in 280 years was designed for anyone, it seemed perfect for them.

As Seventh-day Adventists, who celebrate the Sabbath on Saturdays, the Spencers, who live in Silver Spring, went to church on the opening day of deer season. This year though, like thousands of other hunters, they got in weekend shooting by taking advantage of a one-day reprieve from a state law that has banned Sunday hunting since the Colonial era.

"Ordinarily, we'd have to hunt on a weekday," said the elder Spencer, who stopped for breakfast at Wittman's Market in this Talbot County crossroads. "I bought a share of a lease to hunt on some private property down here this year, so this was ideal. It's really a great opportunity for us to come down and do something together."

The change in rules, sought for years by sportsmen, was approved by state lawmakers last spring.

For the Rev. Robert Kirkley, a Methodist minister since 1952 and an avid hunter for nearly 60 years, the Sunday hunting ban represented the last vestige of Maryland's blue law restrictions on Sunday activities, rules that were all but eliminated in the 1980s. Kirkley was preaching yesterday, after spending all day Saturday in an unsuccessful attempt to bag a deer.

"I think it's an antiquated idea," said Kirkley, who at age 74 serves three small congregations in rural Dorchester County. "I think it discriminates against anyone who doesn't observe the Sabbath on Sunday. Everybody else is allowed to pursue their hobby -- fishing, boating, golf, whatever -- on Sundays. Why not hunters?"

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 01/02/04 05:51 AM

J.R.,

The numbers about bathtub deaths vs. Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease cases coming from BSE in cows are, as you should know, meaningless.

"Junk science" includes drawing definite conclusions about a subject when there is insufficient data upon which to base such conclusions. And there is absolutely not enough data to draw firm conclusions about the causes and prevalence of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in humans.

The London Times, on August 23, 1997, reported that "A 24-year-old vegetarian has been diagnosed with Cruetzfeld-Jakob disease. Scientists fear that milk and cheese may be the source of infection."

More and more scientists are starting to think that many cases of the disease commonly diagnosed as Alzheimer's disease may in fact be undiagnosed cases of CJD.

The bottom line is, there's no rationale for coming to a verdict here; there's not enough reliable information. The jury's still out. All this 'peace and safety' talk from the CDC is not scientifically sound.

[edit - spelling]

[ January 02, 2004, 02:39 AM: Message edited by: John ]

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 01/02/04 09:02 AM

quote:
there's no rationale for coming to a verdict here; there's not enough reliable information
Thank you John, that is EXACTLY the point I've been trying to make all along!!!!!!

-----------------------------------------------------

http://www.local6.com/news/2737117/detail.html
"Frozen French Fries Prefried In Beef Tallow Sit In Limbo"

POSTED: 11:15 PM EST January 1, 2004
Excerpted

quote:
KENNEWICK, Wash. -- Fallout from the mad cow scare in Washington state has hit the potato industry, with more than $500,000 worth of frozen French fries -- prefried in beef tallow -- held in limbo at ports.

The delay raises concerns that other exports containing beef products could be affected by the bans countries have imposed on U.S. beef because of mad cow disease.

French fries and other potato products are prefried in beef tallow or vegetable oil by the manufacturer before they are frozen and shipped. They are then fried again before being served.

Most products fried in beef tallow are exported, while vegetable oil is used domestically, said Pat Boss, executive director of the Washington State Potato Commission.

YUCK

Around here the problem is with Mexican food....they use lard in it. Recently I chatted with the owner of a restaurant, and he told me that they do it for the taste, YUCK. Although he was quite proud that they use only about 1/3 as compared to when his grandmother owned the restaurant. I told him 1/3 or not, I'm not eating it. Bottom line, it's basically unsafe (non-kosher) to eat Mexican food unless you KNOW the national chain doesn't use lard (particularly in the beans). And it's really bad to eat from any "Moma's....homestyle" Mexican Restaurant along the road!

[ January 02, 2004, 02:45 AM: Message edited by: J. R. Layman ]

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 01/02/04 09:48 AM

quote:
Thank you John, that is EXACTLY the point I've been trying to make all along!!!!!!
That's a two-edged sword there J.R.; on the one hand there's not enough information to justify going into a panic over Mad Cow disease in the U.S.; but on the other hand there's not enough information to say that we're more at risk from drowning in our bathtubs than from getting CJD from cow products, either.

In the early days of the AIDS epidemic scientists were basically burying their heads in the sand, saying there was nothing for the general public to worry about. (Sounds a lot like the CDC's present stance doesn't it...) History could be replaying itself, as it has a tendency to do. Maybe not. But why take chances.

I do know this -- the best way to keep from getting animal-carried diseases is to refrain from using animal products. That's not a matter of committing sin or not, per se; it's a matter of being just plain smart....or not.

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 01/02/04 04:53 PM

Some other people are getting the veggie idea out of all this too --

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/toons/brown/resolutions_dec29.gif

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 01/02/04 06:56 PM

I foresee a "Mad Chicken" and "Mad Fish" discovery in the near future.

As a scuba diver, I know what fish and sea creatures eat! No thanks.

Spend a day at a chicken farm; pick an organic free range one, if you are squimish. A large percentage of chicken pecking is "used" chicken feed.

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 01/03/04 07:26 AM

I have been doing a bit of research about this question about meat eating among Adventists being a sin.
While no man or group of men is allowed by the Lord to dictate to other saints what they should do with their bodies, there is equal wrongdoing in me if I do not show my brothers and sisters what the Lord has revealed via His appointed Messenger for the Last Days, Sister White.

What anyone does concerning this is their own choice, and no intention to bully, browbeat or coerce is intended.

"The Lord's curse is upon the earth, upon man, upon beasts, upon fish in the sea; and as transgression becomes almost universal, the curse will be permitted to become as broad and as deep as the transgression. Disease is contracted by the use of meat. The diseased flesh of these dead carcasses are sold in the market places, and disease among men is the sure result.
The Lord would bring His people into a position where they will not touch nor taste the flesh of dead animals. Then let not these things be prescribed by any physician who has a knowledge of the truth for this time. There is no safety in eating the flesh of dead animals, and in a short time the milk of the cow will also be excluded from the diet of God's commandment- keeping people. In a short time it will not be safe to use anything that comes from the animal creation. Those who take God at His word and obey His commandments with the whole heart will be blessed. He will be their shield of protection. But the Lord will not be trifled with. Distrust, disobedience, and alienation from God's will and way will place the sinner in a position where the Lord cannot give him His divine favor." {18MR 354.1}

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 01/16/04 10:18 AM

As chicken cholera and flu wipe out millions of farmers in Asia right now (have you not heard?), in hometown USA folks are salivating over a trully horrible-sounding dish...at least to me.{PS: Mad Fish disease is not far away.}

Peek at this:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=816&e=3&u=/ap/20040115/ap_on_fe_st/brain_sandwiches
Posted By: Will

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 01/16/04 06:37 PM

Yummy deep fried cowbrains looks like the chicken burger from mcdonalds hehe. What is the horible sounding fish you are referring to Ikan?
I was wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for a soya based cheese.

God Bless,
Will

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 01/17/04 02:36 AM

Will:

I was talking about the cow brain sandwich when I said "are salivating over a trully horrible-sounding dish".....not fish. Heehehehe...

There is a great homemade cheese book using all veggie ingrediants called "The Un-cheese Book". Maybe a google search will find it for you.

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 01/17/04 02:39 AM

I get Tofutti brand 'American cheese' slices from the health food store here. They have other brands of block soy cheese too, but they all have casein (a milk protein) in them, so I avoid. The Tofutti doesn't have the casein in it.
Posted By: Will

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 01/17/04 04:22 AM

I cant believe I said fish lol!! [Eek!]
I will look for the uncheese book, and see if Tofutti is available locally, but what is really strange is that if you do not want to eat cheese and remove dairy produicts from your diet why on earth add casein to the "vegan" cheese?! It defeats the purpose. Thanks for the info.
God Bless,
Will

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 01/17/04 06:48 AM

It does seem kinda silly doesn't it. Casein is an emulsifier in such cases; helps hold the 'cheese' together. But lecithin can do the same thing, other vegetable-based substances can too.

Casein's also used as furniture glue, and as the glue that's used to stick labels on beer bottles, according to Robert Cohen.

Don't want it in my tummy any more! Or anything else from a cow, mad or otherwise.
Posted By: BusyBob

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 01/18/04 10:34 AM

I have just read an AP article with the lates numbers given in their search for other cattle from the host herd.

Kingman, KS U.S.A. - Officals have tracked 5 more animals from the host herd of Canadian cattle. This brings the total number of cattle identified to 19 of the known 81 head of cattle that entered the United States. Read More At:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&nicd=519&=e1&u=/ap/2004117/ap_on_re_us/mad_cow_search

Here are more associated articals on the latest information coming from government sources.

Full Coverage
More about
Mad Cow Disease
Related News Stories
• High-Tech Tools Needed to Track Cows AP (Jan 17, 2004)
• More Cows of Infected Canadian Herd Found AP (Jan 17, 2004)
• Cows From Herd With Mad Cow Found in U.S. AP (Jan 16, 2004)
Opinion & Editorials
• Thoughts about mad cows Washington Times (Jan 16, 2004)
• Markets advance grass-fed beef Seattle Post-Intelligencer (Jan 14, 2004)
Feature Articles
• Meat industry has resisted cleaning up its act for decades LA Weekly (Jan 16, 2004)
• Ranchers tout safe beef options Denver Post (Jan 14, 2004)
Related Web Sites
• Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE)
• BSE Fact Sheet
• vCJD and BSE - The Link

To me, this makes me very happy that I am a vegetarian. I know that being a vegetarian does not make me safe from some sort of outbreak of sorts, but with the help of Our Lord Jesus Christ we will all be safe.

Why do others shrug this out break off so lightly and continue to order up their favorite burger, or order their sausage and eggs? Just does not make much sense to me.

God Bless!

BusyBob

==========

URL typo correction only. - Daryl [Smile]

[ January 18, 2004, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: Daryl Fawcett ]
Posted By: debbie

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 01/19/04 07:30 AM

Bob I live only a few hours away from Mabton, Washington where the first mad cow disease was discovered on a farm there. In the newspaper a few days ago it showed a picture of all the people in Mabton gathering for a big celebration of farming and especially cow-farming. It showed them chomping down their burgers and saying they were banding together to support one another in a neighborly way, to show the world they were not afraid of mad cow disease, etc. and etc.

I thought to myself how foolish they were. How can people let their little children eat beef knowing that this disease is a possibility. It made me think of the train where Sister White saw the world traveling together at high speeds to perdition.
Posted By: Chris Williams

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 01/19/04 03:44 AM

Ikan,

There is an article you might be interested in reading. The Development of Adventist Thinking on Clean and Unclean Meats by Ron Graybill . I have upoaded it to one of my websites you can access it at http://gold_prospector.tripod.com/adventistthinking.htm

It's a long article so I decided not to post it here. Those who want to view it can go to the site those who don't will not have to scroll down page after page.

It is quite interesting and well documented.

Enjoy,

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 01/20/04 04:22 AM

Fish Fish Fish.......I just follow Ellen White's example......

All this talking about fish, has me salivating....Remembering an evening at Elliot’s, on Pier 57 on the Seattle waterfront, back in November. To be truthful it's considered one of the 10 best seafood places in the United States. Two day's later, I was up on Vancouver Island, BC. and the "Fish And Chips" at the Malahut Inn were simply out of this world. Then the next day, I attempted to get some seafood gumbo at the Front Street Ale House, in Friday Harbor, San Juan Islands Washington, it was closed till late evening so I had to go out to Roche Harbor for some good FISH!. Last time I was there at the Front Street Ale House, their Gumbo was simply out of this world, and I thought I'd died and gone to heaven!

Anyway, with the apostle Peter and all his friends being fishermen. And Christ clearly eating their fish, even providing FISH to thousands of people through a miracle (one of several I can recall involving FISH).

I just don't know about this extra-biblical call to not eat FISH. Indeed our Prophet, Ellen White specifically once wrote her daughter-in-law Mary, requesting Mary to purchase her "some boxes of good herring". (not to mention the OYSTERS she also requested in the same letter!)

My only problem is that I live down here on the flatlands of W. Texas...where we simply can't get good FISH....I'd die for the opportunity to live on Puget Sound and east some fresh FISH....that's...hmmmm, almost as close as one can get to heaven, here on earth
[Wink] [Smile] [Wink]
Posted By: Gary

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 01/20/04 04:47 AM

I can sympathize with you J.R. I love to eat clean fish too, but have given up all meat. The fish in Jesus' day were not swimming in water loaded with pollutants. Like DDT, Mercury and other toxins which are all in the fish. I live near San Antonio and have gone to the Texas beaches quite a bit in my life but the coastal waters are not clean like they once were and the fish live in these pollutants and I just can't eat fish from polluted waters.
Posted By: Charlene Van Hook

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 01/20/04 05:34 AM

Counsels on Diet and Foods---- Flesh Meats (Proteins Continued)==-PG- 394
Fish Often Contaminated
(1905) M.H. 314, 315
698.” In many places fish become so contaminated by the filth on which they feed as to be a cause of disease. This is especially the case where the fish come in contact with the sewage of large cities. The fish that are fed on the contents of the drains may pass into distant waters, and may be caught where the water is pure and fresh. Thus when used as food they bring disease and death on those who do not
suspect the danger.”

Counsels on Diet and Foods--- Flesh Meats (Proteins Continued)----PG- 411
“Meat eating should not come into the prescription for any invalids from any physicians from among those who understand these things. Disease in cattle is making meat eating a dangerous matter. The Lord's curse is upon the earth, upon man, upon beasts, upon the fish in the sea; and as transgression becomes almost universal, the curse will be permitted to become as broad and as deep as the transgression. Disease is contracted by the use of meat. The diseased flesh of these dead carcasses is sold in the market places, and disease among men is the sure result.”
Posted By: Charlene Van Hook

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 01/20/04 05:47 AM

Counsels on Diet and Foods--CT- Flesh Meats -PG- 382
Perfecting Holiness-- [R. & H., MAY 27, 1902] C.H. 575, 576 Greater reforms should be seen among the people who claim to be looking for the soon appearing of Christ.
Health reform is to do among our people a work which it has not yet done. There are those who ought to be awake to the danger of meat eating, who are still eating the flesh of animals, thus endangering the physical, mental, and spiritual health. Many who are now only half converted on the question of meat eating will go from God's people to walk no more with them.

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 01/20/04 07:11 AM

The news reported just in the last week about farmed salmon having such high amounts of mercury that the recommendation was to eat it only ONCE A MONTH!! And pregnant women are to stay way from it completely!!! The high amount of pesticides (I actually can't remember what it was called...PCB's?) would actually harm a growing baby.

Farmed salmon are a joke. The "wild" salmon live in their normal environment and become adult salmon in 2-4 years to migrate back to have their young. But the farmed salmon are fed huge amounts of hormones/antibiotics and even bits of fish.(They are cannibals too like the cows) These farmed salmon grow to adulthood in ONE year!! They are FORCED to grow faster. Their flesh is not the nice salmon pink color but ugly unappetizing gray so now they must use red dye to try to make it look like people would want to eat it. It is revolting!!

I have no problem with the stated quotes above to keep away from all meat! Praise the Lord for good delicious fruits and vegetables!! And praise the Lord that God, through Ellen G. White, gave us instruction on how to stay healthy.

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 01/20/04 07:28 AM

You will remember, J. R., that when Ellen White first became an SDA christian, she ate not just clean meat, but unclean meat. God showed her in time when it was better for her to leave off this kind of diet. And it benefitted her and she steadily went forward rather than backward in her spiritual experiences.

Also she didn't keep the Sabbath at first. You must remember that she was a person like you and me. She accepted truth as it came to her. She struggled with meat-eating too. It wasn't easy for her to give it up.

God expects us too to live up to the light we have. He doesn't care for our measly excuses. He won't force you or I to become vegetarian. I happen to like fish too and was raised eating clean meats. When I was 15 I knew God wanted me to give up all meat. It was not an easy thing for me to do because I liked it, especially chicken and fish. It was the substitute "meats" that God provided for me that helped me to get away from all meat. But I still had a problem with fish. I didn't eat it, but was tempted and a few times would buy it, only to throw it away as the Holy Spirit worked on my heart.

Then I married a fisherman.(God knew what He was doing!!) My husband is an Alaska commercial fisherman of wild salmon. He is also vegan. Seeing how the fish were canned in the packing houses settled the issue once and for all for me never to eat it again. Even in the pristine waters of Alaska, many of those salmon have small white worms throughout their flesh. These are all canned together...(need I say more?)

It reminds me of an important announcement I heard on the Paul Harvey Commentary News one day many many years ago. He was warning housewives (there were more of them in those days) to please be sure to cook their pork well. He even gave a certain temperature to cook it at so as to "kill the trichinosis worms" (excuse spelling please). And Mr. Harvey said it several times. At the time I remembered thinking, "I wonder if these housewives are THINKING women and realize he is telling them to eat cooked worms?" I heard this myself on his radio program.

J. R. don't you think it is time to give fish up?

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 01/20/04 10:15 AM

Debbie

RE;
quote:
You will remember, J. R., that when Ellen White first became an SDA christian, she ate not just clean meat, but unclean meat. God showed her in time when it was better for her to leave off this kind of diet. And it benefitted her and she steadily went forward rather than backward in her spiritual experiences.
Actually her request of her DIL Mary, for Herring and Oysters was a full 25 years AFTER her vision on "health Reform!" (1857) As far as God "showing her." it was a Roman Catholic woman who took her to task for eating the flesh of animals, in the 1890's before she FINALLY gave up flesh eating, long AFTER she told others to do so, and claimed to have done so! I simply think we need to keep certain claims in perspective and FACTUAL

As I've said before. It's clear that Christ ate FISH.....And it is ONLY extra biblical suggestions that it is unwise to eat FISH. I think that if we're to slyly suggest that those who eat fish, or red meat will not be in heaven, That words to that effect should come from the BIBLE, and not from elsewhere! And since the Bible makes absolutely NO SUGGESTION that FISH are somehow sinful to eat, leading to one's utter damnation in hell. Anyone "Judging" another, for eating "FISH", even by sly innuendo (or quote) had better review the verse about judging others!!!!!!

Frankly I'll stick with the FISH, although not the Oysters (ever liked them anyway!) that our prophet Mrs. Ellen White continued to eat a FULL 25 years AFTER receiving her vision on health! They are, BTW quite delicious...Fish that is [Smile]

FWIW…I’ve thrown out wheat, rice, crackers and apples that ALSO were wormy…….Although it seems rather silly to suggest that since one finds WORMS in organic foodstuffs, we ought to cease eating that also! Perhaps we should also cease eating breakfast cereals too, as there have been cases of sever rodent infestations known in grain elevators. e.g. some of the anecdotal “stories” about contamination in various food factories doesn’t prove anything, other then that or this particular factory (INCLUDING GRAIN/BREAKFAST CEREALS) had a hygiene problem!

Frankly I’d be more then a little worried about eating only a soybean based diet

quote:
FARGO - North Dakota State University's Foundation Seed-stocks Program has been contaminated with genetically modified crops and cannot be trusted to segregate GM and non-GM wheat seed, a group critical of genetically modified crops said.

Theresa Podoll, executive director of the Northern Plains Sustainable Agriculture Society, sent out a news release Monday, saying NDSU's non-GM, Natto-type soybeans planted in 2002 may have been contaminated with GM beans.

Natto beans are specialty soybeans destined for premium food grade markets in Japan, typically unwelcoming to genetically modified products.

Podoll's group has been a strong opponent of commercialization of GM wheat, which also would have to be marketed to some countries and buyers who don't want it.

NDSU officials acknowledge a problem occurred but say it was properly handled.
Rogue seeds

Two lots of non-GM Natto beans were found contaminated with Monsanto's Roundup Ready soybean genetics, Podoll said.

NDSU officials say that sufficient steps have been taken to minimize the problem and avoid repeating it.

"In soybeans, we make every effort to prevent contamination and - if it occurs - we correct it," said M. Dale Williams, director of NDSU Foundation Seedstocks.

"Roundup Ready are two different animals," Williams said. "Roundup Ready soybeans are not regulated. Small amounts of it, or tolerances of amounts, are allowed in most markets.

It's not approached with the same amount of diligence as Roundup Ready wheat."
The soybean contamination occurred in the winter of 2000 when the Natto beans were planted in Chile for seed increase.

The seeds then were harvested and shipped to North Dakota in 2001 and planted at

NDSU's Agronomy Seed Farm near Casselton, N.D. Those fields produced some off-type plants, but GMO was not suspected, Williams said. Soybeans contaminated

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 01/20/04 05:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by J. R. Layman:

RE;
quote:
Actually her request of her DIL Mary, for Herring and Oysters was a full 25 years AFTER her vision on "health Reform!" (1857) As far as God "showing her." it was a Roman Catholic woman who took her to task for eating the flesh of animals, in the 1890's before she FINALLY gave up flesh eating, long AFTER she told others to do so, and claimed to have done so! I simply think we need to keep certain claims in perspective and FACTUAL

J.R. Sounds like you have been reading the EGW Bashers propaganda. The above statement you made is untrue. I suggest you get her writings on CD-Rom and read things for yourself in context and not rely on the EGW hate sites to do your thinking for you.

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 01/20/04 06:03 PM

These quotes from Sister White settled my question if it is ok just to only eat the clean meats.

The Course of Those Awaiting Christ's Coming.-- Among those who are waiting for the coming of the Lord, meat eating will eventually be done away; flesh will cease to form a part of their diet. We should ever keep this end in view and endeavor to work steadily toward it. I cannot think that in the practice of flesh eating we are in harmony with the light which God has been pleased to give us. {CG 383.2}

Many who are now only half converted on the question of meat eating will go from God's people, to walk no more with them.--RH May 27, 1902.

Those who are half converted? If you still eat clean meat you are only half converted on the meat eating issue.

What happens to those who are half converted? They will go from God's people, to walk no more with them. Strong words from Sister White we would do well to heed.

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 01/21/04 07:06 AM

Gary
When you state to someone that
quote:
The above statement you made is untrue
You are in effect calling them a LIAR

I would suggest that before you call me a "LIAR" that you get your duckies in order!

quote:
Manuscript Release No. 852: The Development of Adventist Thinking on, page 2, paragraph 3
ONCE WHEN ELLEN WHITE WAS ILL, HER SON, W. C. WHITE, REPORTS THAT SHE WAS ENCOURAGED TO DRINK A LITTLE OYSTER BROTH TO SETTLE HER STOMACH. SHE IS SAID TO HAVE TRIED A SPOONFUL OR TWO, BUT THEN REFUSED THE REST. THERE IS HOWEVER, EVIDENCE THAT AT ONE POINT IN HER LIFE MRS. WHITE MOST LIKELY ATE SOME OYSTERS. IN 1882, WHEN SHE WAS LIVING AT HEALDSBURG, CALIFORNIA, SHE WROTE A LETTER TO HER DAUGHTER-IN-LAW, MARY KELSEY WHITE, IN OAKLAND, IN WHICH SHE MADE THE FOLLOWING REQUEST: ["Mary, if you can get me a good box of herrings, fresh ones, please do so. These last ones that Willie got are bitter and old. If you can buy cans, say, half a dozen cans, of good tomatoes, please do so. We shall need them. If you can get a few cans of good oysters, get them."]

Please note the SOURCE of the above statement is directly from http://www.egwtext.whiteestate.org/cgi-bin/egw2html?C=154756969&K=104211012010413340 The White Estate......producers of your CD....and hardly one of the "the EGW hate sites!"

Next time you choose to call someone a LIAR, be it in whatever manner, please get your FACTS right first!!!!!

You here who wish to judge others so willingly and consign them to hell, since some of us don't share your view on the eating of flesh foods. Might bear in mind another quote from Sister White!
quote:
In 1895 she noted, "I have never felt that it was my duty to say that no one should taste of meat under any circumstances. To say this . . . would be carrying matters to extremes I have never felt that it was my duty to make sweeping assertions. What I have said I have said under a sense of duty, but I have been guarded in my statements, because I did not want to give occasion for anyone to be conscience for another" (Counsels on Diet and Foods, pp.462, 463).

FWIW, the above ALSO was researched and sourced from the White Estate

Apparantly there are more then a few "EXTREMIST" around here, as according to the discription of our prophet!

[ January 20, 2004, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: J. R. Layman ]

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 01/21/04 07:37 AM

Oysters

Fannie Bolton, a former literary assistant, wrote that Ellen White, at a rail depot, ate “big white raw oysters with vinegar, pepper and salt. . . . I was overwhelmed with this inconsistency and dumb with horror. Elder Starr hurried me out and made all sorts of excuses and justifications of Sister White’s action; yet I kept thinking in my heart, ‘What does it mean? What has God said? How does she dare eat these abominations?’”

When G. B. Starr heard of this letter he was astounded. He responded to W. C. White: “I can only say that I regard it as the most absurdly, untruthful lot of rubbish that I have ever seen or read regarding our dear Sister White.

“The event simply never occurred. I never saw your mother eat oysters or meat of any kind either in a restaurant or at her own table. Fannie Bolton’s statement . . . is a lie of the first order. I never had such an experience and it is too absurd for anyone who ever knew your mother to believe. . . .

“I think this entire letter was written by Fannie Bolton in one of her most insane moments. . . .

“When we visited Florida in 1928, Mrs. Starr and I were told that at a camp meeting, Fannie Bolton made a public statement that she had lied about Sister White, and that she repented of it.”

Though Fannie Bolton’s report was false, Ellen White did request oysters in 1882 in a letter to Mary, her daughter-in-law: “If you can get me a good box of herrings, fresh ones, please do so. These last ones that Willie got are bitter and old. If you can buy . . . half a dozen cans of good tomatoes, please do so. We shall need them. If you can get a few cans of good oysters, get them.”

What shall we make of this request for oysters? Aren’t oysters considered unclean according to Leviticus 11? The answer to that question was not clear to Seventh-day Adventists in the 1880s any more than their attitude toward pork was clear in the 1850s.

In 1883 W. H. Littlejohn, pastor of the Battle Creek Tabernacle, conducted a question/answer column in the church paper. In answering whether oysters are included among the unclean foods of Leviticus 11, Littlejohn said: “It is difficult to decide with certainty whether oysters would properly come under the prohibition of Leviticus 11:9-12. . . . It would, however, seem from the language, as if they might.”

Where no direct vision insight was given, Adventists like anybody else had to work their way through such dietary matters.

Ellen White was a hypocrite. This charge is based on the fact that Ellen White was lucid and forthright regarding the danger of meat eating but occasionally ate flesh foods.

Her son W. C., wrote to G. B. Starr in 1933 that the White family had been vegetarians but not always “teetotalers” (total abstainers from flesh foods).

In 1894, Ellen White wrote to a non-Adventist active in the temperance cause in Australia who had asked about the Adventist position on being “total abstainers”: “I am happy to assure you that as a denomination we are in the fullest sense total abstainers from the use of spirituous liquors, wine, beer, [fermented] cider, and also tobacco and all other narcotics. . . . All are vegetarians, many abstaining from the use of flesh food, while others use it in only the most moderate degree.” Many of Ellen White’s strongest statements against meat were written after she had renewed her commitment to total abstinence in 1894.

Here we note that for Ellen White a vegetarian was not necessarily a “teetotaler,” that is, a total abstainer, but one who did not eat flesh foods as a habit. Here we have a clear example of the difference between a principle and a policy. Vegetarianism was a policy based upon principle: we should eat the best food obtainable under the circumstances. Principles are clear statements, always true under all circumstances. Policies may change, due to time, place, and circumstances. Policies work out the principles by always doing the best possible under the circumstances. Only the individual’s conscience knows when those decisions of doing “one’s best” have been made.

http://www.whiteestate.org/books/mol/Chapt27.html

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 01/21/04 07:41 AM

Gary:

quote:
Spalding and Magan Collection, page 38, paragraph 4
I have a large family which often numbers sixteen. In it there are men who work at the plow, and who fell trees. These have most vigorous exercise, but not a particle of the flesh of animal is placed on our table. Meat has not been used by us since the Brighton Campmeeting. It was not my purpose to have it on my table at any time, but urgent pleas were made that such an one was unable to eat this or that, and that their stomach could take care of meat better than it could anything else. Then I was enticed to place it on my table. The use of cheese began to creep in, because some liked cheese; but I soon controlled that. But when the selfishness of taking lives of animals to gratify a perverted appetite was presented to me by a Catholic woman, kneeling at my feet, I felt ashamed and distressed. I saw it in a new light, and I said, I will no longer patronize the butcher; I will not have the flesh of corpses on my table. http://www.egwtext.whiteestate.org/cgi-bin/egw2html?C=165730102&K=112334012010414638&M=P

quote:
Many of Ellen White's strongest statements against meat were written after she had renewed her commitment to total abstinence in 1894. http://www.egwtext.whiteestate.org/issues/faq-egw.html#faq-section-a7
Again the source of the above is directly from the White Estate!
Your apology for essentially calling me a LIAR, Gary, is hereby accepted! (wither offered or not)

[ January 20, 2004, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: J. R. Layman ]

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 01/20/04 08:41 PM

I apologize for insinuating that you are a liar, the facts you present are true, but I think your conclusion or interpretation of these facts are flawed.

From my studies I concluded that Ellen White's Christian Walk was a learning experience just as all of our walks are. Before I became an Adventist I ate Shrimp, Pork, oyster and other unclean food and continued to do so even a little while after I became an Adventist. After studying Scripture and SOP I became convinced not to eat unclean meats, I only ate clean meats. Now after more study I conclude that it is clear we should eat now meat or fish at all because of the diseases in them.

Again and again I have been shown that God is trying to lead us back, step by step, to His original design--that man should subsist upon the natural products of the earth. Among those who are waiting for the coming of the Lord, meat eating will eventually be done away; flesh will cease to form a part of their diet. We should ever keep this end in view, and endeavor to work steadily toward it. . . . {CH 450.1}

I see the above quote from EGW as saying those that are waiting for the coming of the Lord will not be eating meat at all. I also see that Ellen White steadily worked toward giving up meat entirely.
Posted By: Laurie Mosher

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 01/20/04 11:42 PM

Here's something for y'all to "munch" or "mull"on.

The Chronicle Herald- Halifax, Nova Scotia ,Canada Monday, January 19, 2004

Mad cow dangers may be understated, new tests indicate- By Chris Morris- The Canadian Press

New research suggests that the human form of mad cow disease is a lot more complicated than originally thought, and, potyentially, nuch scarier.
Scientists have long agreed that eating cattle tissue infected with bovine spongiform encephalopathy- mad cow disease- can cause the human form of the disease known as Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease.
But recent animal tests indicate that eating infected beef may also cause another form of the disease, classical CJD, forcing scientists to re-examine assumptions about the nature of the deadly disease and raising fears that it may be more widespread than previously thought.
"We have to be a little bit more open-minded about this," says Dr. Laura Manuelidis, professor and head of neuroppathology at Yale University in Conneticut.
"There are certain things we don't know and we can't be absolute about. We can't make believe it's a cut-and-dried situation."
The accepted wisdom has been that classical CJD has nothing to do with mad cows. It affects older people, those over 55, and generally occurs spontaneously at the rate of about one person per million per year.
It has been confused with Alzeimer's disease and there is some concern that because of misdiagnosis, it may be more widespread than the confirmed numbers indicate.
"The fact is in the United States, the autopysy rate has gone way down from when I was a medical student, even in academic centres," says Manuelidis.
"If you don't examine the brains, how can you possibly know what you are missing?"
New variant CJD, the form that has ravaged Britain since 1995, affects younger people at a much younger age, normally in their 20's and 30's. It is widely believed that only this form can be triggered by consuming infected meat.
Both forms riddle the brain with holes, causing dementia and, ultimately, death.
Manuelidis says a recent study in Britain involving mice whose brains were genetically engineered with human genes gives weight to herlong-held theory that classical CJD may be more insidious than assumed.
The mice were injected with tissue from mad cows. One set of mice fell sick with the human form of mad cow, or variant CJD.
But, in a finding that shocked researchers, a few of the mice developed what looked like classical CJD, the form scientists have long believed had no relationship to mad cows or eating meat.
Dr. Neil Cashman, a professor of medicine at the University of Toronto, describes the findings as "striking and worrisome."
The question is, could an epidemic of classical CJD be dormant in the brains of people who have eaten infected cattle products- specifically those containing brain or spinal cord matter?
Cashman says data from Britain shows the incidence of classical CJD remained stable during the variant , which killed 146 people.

JR, you can keep eating the fish, but any I've seen on THIS East Coast, isn't fit for human consumption...hmmm , course when you pull the worms out of the cod fish (IF you can find a codfish), on second thought, I guess you could get added protein, EH? [Smile]

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 01/20/04 11:46 PM

Here is an excellent site on this topic and other related topics:

http://www.madcowboy.com/

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 01/21/04 12:37 AM

Laurie

re:
quote:
"course when you pull the worms out of the cod fish (IF you can find a codfish), on second thought, I guess you could get added protein,"
Are you saying that the various WORMS, RAT and MICE parts that are found in my breakfast cereals from Kellogg’s or Sunbelt (McKee's...SDA) are OK as protein, as their from VEGAN (SDA) WORMS, RATS, & MICE? [Razz] [Razz] [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 01/21/04 01:25 AM

FWIW

Here are a few of the ALLOWABLE WORM and RODANT contamination on a few VEGAN foods! [Razz]

The Food Defect Action Levels Levels of natural or unavoidable defects in foods
that present no health hazards for humans

from the FDA @ http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/dalbook.html

CORNMEAL
Insects
(AOAC 981.19) Average of 1 or more whole insects (or equivalent) per 50 grams Insect filth

(AOAC 981.19) Average of 25 or more insect fragments per 25 grams Rodent filth
(AOAC 981.19) Average of 1 or more rodent hairs per 25 grams
OR
Average of 1 or more rodent excreta fragment per 50 grams

POPCORN
Rodent filth
(AOAC 950.91) 1 or more rodent excreta pellets are found in 1 or more subsamples, and 1 or more rodent hairs are found in 2 or more other subsamples
OR
2 or more rodent hairs per pound and rodent hair is found in 50% or more of the subsamples
OR
20 or more gnawed grains per pound and rodent hair is found in 50% or more of the subsamples

TOMATOES, CANNED
Drosophila fly
(AOAC 955.46) Average of 10 or more fly eggs per 500 grams
OR
5 or more fly eggs and 1 or more maggots per 500 grams
OR
2 or more maggots per 500 grams

Hmmmmm, I guess it's better to get our protein from VEGAN rodents and Worms, eh? [Roll Eyes]

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 01/21/04 03:17 AM

J.R., what's your point in that last post? That we should live in hermetically sealed biodomes, grow all our own food, or what? We live in an imperfect world, and some things must be accepted as a part of normal life. If we're going to worry about every little impurity that could possibly be present in anything that goes into these present bodies, we might as well forget about breathing air.

Except that would make living for more than a few minutes pretty difficult.

We can minimize risks, but not eliminate them entirely, in this present world.

Nothing you've posted refutes the need to lessen/remove animal products from the diet.
Posted By: BusyBob

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 01/21/04 12:35 PM

I am enjoying the debate on our health laws and clean and unclean foods, i.e., meats. Whether this is in the form of fish or cows, there is a certain risk that one takes when injesting these foods. What gets me is the lack of concern, by many, to follow any of the reports concering the contamination of their favorite cut of fish or cow.

God is the author of the food laws both before and after the flood, the way this was explained to me is as follows. God gave the clean meats that we could eat because the ground could not be planted, it is my futher understanding that the people were to revert back to the herb and vegetable diet He imparted to us.

Also as the Mad Cow situation continues to grow, in fact, more cattle have been discovered and are being classified as host cows and added to the original 81 known cows. The number now stands at 98 as of 01/20/2004. Here is the article that supports this:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=564&e=2&u=/nm/20040120/ts_nm/madcow_quarantine_dc_2

Here is a portion of the article: by Rutgers

The USDA said its newest information showed at least three herdmates of the infected cow were sent to a dairy farm in Tenino, Washington and at least six went to a farm in Connell, Washington. That means investigators have found 23 of the 81 Canadian cattle they sought, a USDA spokeswoman said.

However, the total number of Canadian animals the USDA is trying to track increased to 98 on Monday after officials said they confirmed a second group of cattle had been imported from the same Alberta farm where the infected cow was born. The second group came to the United States at a later time, but the USDA has not yet identified the specific date.

DNA tests have confirmed that the infected cow was born in Alberta, Canada, more than six years ago. The farm where the animal was born went out of business in 2001 and sold off the herd in several transactions.

Of the second group of imported cattle, three were found at a farm in Quincy, Washington, which is already under quarantine, the USDA spokeswoman said. Investigators are still trying to locate the remaining 14 cattle that were part of the second group shipped across the border

It just makes very good sense to remove yourself from the roles of meat eater extraordinaire. I think that we have only just been shown a small picture of this new disease, and we haven't a clue where this will all end.

Still I am Glad to be a vegetarian.

God Bless

BusyBob

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State - 01/23/04 07:51 AM

In our newspaper tonight was a big story about how another cow was found (only an hours drive from where we live, in Oregon, that belong to a large dairy herd,) who belongs to the group of cows that came from Canada, where the Mad cow was disease was found. This cow doesn't have MadCow disease but it came from the same group.

What was interesting was the media said over and over that this was a "dairy" cow and its milk was sent to Tillamook, Oregon where the famous cheese and ice-cream is made, BUT it was very safe to consume!!

This is snow-balling and will continue to get worse and worse!!
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church