Where exactly are these statements in the writings of EGW and/or etc?

Posted By: NJK Project

Where exactly are these statements in the writings of EGW and/or etc? - 04/28/11 02:36 AM

Sometimes an SDA makes a statement about something they read in the writings of EGW but without citing the reference. When this is a paraphrase, or worse a mere thought expression, it is further hard to actually locate it even using a computer search of her writings. (This may also be applicable to the Bible, or other Biblical/Biblically pertinent works)

So this thread could help in this regards.

(1) My first two statements is the repeated claim by David Asscherick alongs the line that ‘EGW said in DA that soon after Moses’ death God suddenly so missed Moses that He raised Him up’. I have now heard it twice from Him but without any specific reference. [He also has not replied to my email requesting the specific reference] (His DA claim may also be an inaccuracy in terms of the actual SOP book.)

(2) My second request here is in regards to a statement by an SDA Pastor (or Elder?) during GYC 2010, Eric Walsh, if I recall exactly, that EGW said that: ‘it was because the Church did not pray as fervently for Paul during his last imprisonment in Rome, as they had for Peter at his earlier imprisonment when then an angel was sent to miraculously deliver him, that Paul died in that captivity,’ i.e., as he implied Paul actually died prematurely and because of this slighting by Church Members.

Hopefully someone here can locate these two specific references, if they are actually valid. My varied and many computer searches have revealed nothing.
Posted By: kland

Re: Where exactly are these statements in the writings of EGW and/or etc? - 04/28/11 04:40 PM

Something tells me you won't get any reference to either statement. The first sounds rather like, ____, but sometimes, people will hear something, then it becomes distorted and mixed with other things, so it may not be intentionally dishonest, but not what the original statement says nor even relate to it.

Re: Where exactly are these statements in the writings of EGW and/or etc? - 04/28/11 05:48 PM

Originally Posted By: kland
The first sounds rather like, ____,

Could you fill in that blank I don't understand what you are leaving out.

I could actually relocate the sermon audio for these statements from these two pastors which would show how confident they felt about these statements. (Perhaps I’ll do that relocating). Asscherick especially, with his two mentions, the second being, seemingly defensively, even more emphatic, stressing the word “missed”.

Re: Where exactly are these statements in the writings of EGW and/or etc? - 04/28/11 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By: NJK Project
(Perhaps I’ll do that relocating)

That specific relocating will potentially, possibly take way too much time, as I don’t even recall exactly in which specific sermons they were made. Eric Walsh (if it is was actually him, probably was) preached 3 sermons at that GYC, David Asscherick first of his two statements was made during a six sermon week of Prayer at Oakwood College and then during His 28 sermon evangelistic series in New Zealand.

By the way, if helpful, the import for me of these quotes are in relation to the “God and the Future” topic i.e., (why didn’t God foreknow that he would so “miss” Moses when he died and ‘Paul dying before his time’ (which also would explain the apparent translation of the book of Hebrew (written by Paul) from Hebrew to Greek by someone other than Paul; and also in regards to a possible (and known by revelation (see e.g., 2 Cor 12:1-5; Phil 1:19-26) resurrection and ascension of Paul soon after his death, as with Moses.

Re: Where exactly are these statements in the writings of EGW and/or etc? - 04/28/11 11:22 PM

An number of adjectives could go there. I'm trying to resist the temptation of saying bad things, even towards those I don't know.

No need to locate the sermon nor relocate it elsewhere, as I believe people say such things and may truly believe it. It may be they are repeating what they heard someone else say and hence the no response to you from them.

Re: Where exactly are these statements in the writings of EGW and/or etc? - 04/29/11 12:04 AM

An number of adjectives could go there. I'm trying to resist the temptation of saying bad things, even towards those I don't know.

No need to locate the sermon nor relocate it elsewhere, as I believe people say such things and may truly believe it. It may be they are repeating what they heard someone else say and hence the no response to you from them.

So I’ll assume you mean ‘the first sound like “a lie”’. If that is what you meant, you thus could have conveyed this in such an acceptable way.

I am not seeing why you are getting so quasi-offended/agitated here. If applicable in your case, I am not forcing you, or anyone else, to take/devote a substantial amount of time to find these statements. Its all an ‘either ones knows these statements and where they are found or not ‘.And from having heard them make this statement, it sounded clear to me that they were speaking of something that they were first handedly quite familiar with it. And even quite convinced of. Asscherick second mention, with more emphasis, though still no specific reference may have been in reaction to my email. His non-response and non-specification would however then be quite suspect.

Re: Where exactly are these statements in the writings of EGW and/or etc? - 04/29/11 12:27 AM

"A lie" wasn't the word which came to my mind, but it works.

I don't understand what made you you think I am getting so quasi-offended/agitated. All I'm saying is lots of people say things and even sincerely believe them true, but if you get forwards and ever check them out on Snopes, you'll find many or most aren't true. Same with many people quoting Ellen White. One even told me that just because I couldn't find what they couldn't exactly remember doesn't mean it's not true. That's true. However, just because they can't find a reference doesn't make it true, either.

So, I'm saying that with such statements which sound like these, you'll probably not get a reference. That's all. No "agitation". Just stating my opinion that you won't get anything from anyone. Just don't get your hopes up.

Re: Where exactly are these statements in the writings of EGW and/or etc? - 04/29/11 01:12 AM

It was your self-admitted manifest need to censor yourself, from apparently an expletive, that made me think you had become quasi-offended/agitated.

I had actually given these SDA pastors, preaching a prepared sermon, a benefit of the doubt here.

My views actually do not depend on these quotes, though they would greatly corroborate them. Indeed those views are easily and convincingly ascertainable from the Biblical and (known) SOP record.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church