Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God?

Posted By: Daryl

Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 10/29/12 01:05 AM

Are the writings of Ellen G. White inspired by God in the same or similar sense that the Bible is inspired by God?
Posted By: jamesonofthunder

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 10/29/12 02:11 AM

"The apostle (Paul) cautioned the Thessalonians not to despise the gift of prophecy, and in the words, “Quench not the Spirit; despise not prophesyings; prove all things; hold fast that which is good,” he enjoined a careful discrimination in distinguishing the false from the true. He besought them to “abstain from all appearance of evil;” and closed his letter with the prayer that God would sanctify them wholly, that in “Spirit and soul and body” they might “be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. Faithful is He that calleth you,” he added, “who also will do it.” {AA 263.3}

"But the scriptures, while foretelling this dreadful apostasy, also plainly teach that just before the second coming of Christ, many will be rescued from the darkness of error and superstition. Once more the earth is to be lightened by the glory of God. The pure truths of the Bible are to shine forth. And in this time of heavenly illumination marking the approaching end of the age, the gifts of the Spirit are again to be manifest in the true church. “It shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of My Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: and on My servants and on My handmaidens I will pour out in those days of My Spirit; and they shall prophesy.” Acts 2:17, 18; Joel 2:28, 29. {CET 242.2}
In clear terms the prophet John speaks of “the remnant,” or the last church, as those who “keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.” Revelation 12:17. In another passage the same writer gives a plain definition of what he means by the “testimony of Jesus.” When on one occasion John attempted to worship the angel who appeared to him in vision, the angel said: {CET 242.3}
“See thou do it not: I am thy fellow servant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God.” Revelation 19:10. {CET 243.1}
Under similar circumstances the same angel said, as recorded in another place: {CET 243.2}
“See thou do it not: for I am thy fellow servant, and of thy brethren the prophets.” Revelation 22:9. {CET 243.3}
The thought expressed is the same in both these passages. In one, however, John’s “brethren” are said to have “the testimony of Jesus;” in the other these “brethren” are called “the prophets.” {CET 243.4}
Therefore it is the prophets who have “the testimony of Jesus;” and the angel who appeared to John is evidently the special messenger who conveys instruction to all the prophets,—doubtless the angel Gabriel, who is mentioned as having appeared to Daniel. See Daniel 8:16; 9:21. The same angel further said to John, “the testimony of Jesus is the Spirit of prophecy.” Revelation 19:10. {CET 243.5}
Comparing the Bible expression, “the testimony of Jesus,” with the statement of Revelation 12:17 concerning the “remnant ... which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ,” we conclude that prior to Christ’s second coming His true church will be keeping His commandments, and that they will have the Spirit of prophecy. {CET 243.6}
The rapid fulfillment of the predictions of Holy Scripture regarding the signs and events which were to mark the closing scenes of earth’s history, is a sure evidence that we are now living in the last days. Therefore a company of Christian people who keep the commandments of God and who have the testimony of Jesus Christ—the Spirit of prophecy—should today be in existence. Where may they be found? {CET 243.7}

Our church must have the Spirit of Prophecy or it is not God's true end time church.
Posted By: Rick H

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/03/12 04:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Daryl F
Are the writings of Ellen G. White inspired by God in the same or similar sense that the Bible is inspired by God?
When God spoke to Samuel was it any diffent from Elijah or Isaiah, but every man has to let the Holy Spirit guide them on this, it cannot be proven by force of text.

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/04/12 01:15 AM

Yes let every man who has the Holy Spirit guide them in this, BUT it has to be proven by the word of God which came through men.

I they speak not according to this word then there is no light in them.

The force of the text is in God's word which is the ONLY way to prove the Spirit.
Posted By: Colin

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/04/12 03:24 AM

Basically, since all messengers of God were verbally inspired, and it is by personal conviction that it is recognised, so that's how we assemble for worship of Jesus as a church: personal conviction.

Yes, we can explain it, but we are personally convicted by the Spirit of Jesus.

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/04/12 04:48 AM

Yes Brother, but we have the Spirit of Prophecy that will PROVE who has truly been convicted by the Spirit.

When those who have been spreading lies see the fulfillment of the prophecies those who were truly entrusted with deep truth come to pass, then they will know they were deceived and their knees will knock, and their bowls be loosed.

We have a sure word of prophecy. When the fulfillment of what the true SDA Church has been proclaiming comes true it will also further strengthen our faith in those words to sustain us through what we know will come next.
Posted By: dedication

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/04/12 06:33 AM

What do you mean by "verbally inspired"?
Do you believe they sat down with quill and parchment and then God dictated the message word for word as they wrote it down?

The different styles of writing by the different Biblical authors show that was not the case.

As to testing the prophets, James is correct, it must be tested by scripture and be in agreement. Simply relying on our senses is not enough.

Even Jesus, instead of dazzeling the disciples with His brightness, took them through scriptures, from Moses through all the prophets to show them the mission of the Messiah (See Luke 24:27)
And Paul praised the Bereans as being noble, for they checked out what he said by comparing it with scripture. (Acts 17:11)

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/04/12 07:50 AM

Yes, exactly dedication.

But I think Colin was trying put into words something that is hard to explain.

The men of God were brought into scripture by so many different paths, but it is safe to say they were all inspired by the holy Spirit through the angel of prophecy.

Gabriel is constantly seen talking to his brethren the prophets in scripture.

Then what happens usually is they go on about their lives and then miraculous things happen associated with what God had told them and He inspires them to write these things so it becomes practical for use by others in their experiment of faith.

Moses listened to God at the burning bush then used the information verbally to other leaders for Israel, and some of it was written down immediately and placed next to the ark, and some eventually got written down, but it was not for many years. The Holy Spirit preserved the stories and brought it to mind perfectly while he was writing. Same with the Apostles, God inspired them exactly what to write through life experience.
Posted By: lucky

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/06/12 02:53 AM

I don't believe that the bible was inspired of God. However, I do believe that men were inspired of God to write books and those books can be found in the bible. Jesus tells us Himself that Moses wrote of Him thus proving inspiration. I do not believe that everyone who wrote letters which were chosen by men to become a part of the New Testament were inspired of God. Jesus never promised us a book with nothing but the truth in it. He did promise us that the Holy Spirit would guide us into all truth and that those with Wisdom would understand.

Neither do I believe that Ellen White was inspired by God or His Holy Spirit. God sent His Son into this world to tell us the Truth (John 18:37) and the Truth is good enough for me. What has Ellen White told us that Jesus Christ did not? Should we teach others information that Jesus never taught?

Jesus provided eyewitnesses to His ministry on earth and if anyone claims to speak to or for Jesus other than what has been provided by those who followed Him while He was in the world we need to weigh their words with the Word which was made flesh to prove them True.

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/06/12 03:40 AM

God has preserved His word perfectly and He brought the most inspired perfectly balanced elements of His faith together in the 66 books.

Even the flaws in that book were ordained by God.
Posted By: Mountain Man

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/06/12 05:46 PM

The SOP is the clearest revelation of truth. Without it, the SDA Church would not exist and could not confidently believe and proclaim the truth. Thank you, Jesus.
Posted By: Johann

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/06/12 06:29 PM

It takes humility to accept the revelation of truth. I read recently in the writings of Ellen White that if we search the divine writings to verify our opinions we will never discover the truth.

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/06/12 07:10 PM

That is exactly right brother Johann,

That is why when someone truly comes with an unction from God to get it right, it is ordained and not forced and this should be desired and embraced by the church.

1 Corinthians 14:1 "Pursue love, and earnestly desire the spiritual gifts, especially that you may prophesy".

I do not sit down and try to imagine something to claim in the truth, it comes to me like a gift.

Most people here see what I write as something I made up that they have to give permission to, in order for it to be from God.

My God shows me things and then brings me to the words that say the exact same thing, and leads me through experiences that test the knowledge and I receive great blessings in acknowledging these gifts from God so I KNOW it is from Him. He leaves no room for doubt and continually brings these things to mind in all of it's dimensions so I will not grow weary of the same view.

All of the issues God showed me are currently important so they are present truth.

Every day, more and more, Jehovah is leading my mind to new heights.

The advantage we gain over sin when we get here is tremendous!

I could never fathom these things before God showed me the Sabbath. At that moment it was like neural pathways were developed and I could perceive the effect immediately. God gave me these things for His pleasure, and I am so secure in this. But then I look at how I am viewed by the church, people who say they believe in our faith, and they deny the Spirit of Prophecy and see my belief in it as a sign of being mentally unstable. If they only knew...

This is how to develop faith also. God knows we are selfish when He comes calling our hearts, so He meets us where we are to break us of ourselves and He gives us gifts. The question is not "why do I, JT have these gifts" the question should be "why don't more men in our faith have them?"

When I hear a sermon from a truly ordained man of God, I hear the same voice that talks in my heart come from his mouth and it warms my soul. Men like Pastor Bohr and Bachelor have the anointing of God, but there are literally thousands of so called Adventist's who take them on too. Do you think Stephen Bohr pulls any punches when it comes down to talking about it? He tells it like it is and if you don't like it, THAT proves the Spirit of Elijah in him. Unable to back down to the point that women left his congregation because he said he would never be a part of women ordained into elder-ship!

Psalm 68:18 'Thou hast ascended on high, thou hast led captivity captive: thou hast received gifts for men; yea, for the rebellious also, that the Lord God might dwell among them.'

I can quote so many texts in scripture promising these gifts but I'm crazy to claim them in the faith? Shame on the church for this.

Then He reveals His love and it subdues us. But a wise man knows the secret to the FEAR OF THE LORD!
Posted By: kland

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/06/12 10:53 PM

Originally Posted By: jamesonofthunder
I wouldn't quite put it like that even if I think I understand what you mean.
Posted By: Harold Fair

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/06/12 11:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Johann
It takes humility to accept the revelation of truth. I read recently in the writings of Ellen White that if we search the divine writings to verify our opinions we will never discover the truth.

She said, somewhere, that if we studied the Bible on our own, she wouoldn't have been necessary.

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/07/12 08:07 AM

Originally Posted By: kland
I wouldn't quite put it like that even if I think I understand what you mean.

I'll gladly illustrate.

There are different types of scriptural flaws, most of which are related to how words were translated, but some are in relation to omissions from scripture. A certain body of believers made changes to translations that omitted certain verses. When these different translation are placed side by side it becomes apparent by the pattern which translations were translated by which texts and this helped identify which ones were corrupted, by who they were corrupted, and for what purpose in their false doctrines they developed.

When God presented the oldest manuscripts ever unearthed in the Red Sea scrolls we found out so much about how perfectly God kept His word, even in the corrupted texts but a light is shown on the sincerity of those who kept it pure. God used the sin of the false church from their false doctrines based off their flawed translation to prove where His truth lies.

Translational flaws hid elements of scripture that God "put His finger over" so it would not be discovered by the wrong people and for trials of the right people.

One very good example is the "Verily I say unto you, today you will be with me in paradise" text. This one text was used by nominal Christians to prove a false doctrine for years, but when it was discovered what the text really says, it powerfully shined the light, revealing the forgotten truth. Revealed to His people in the last days that which was forgotten.

I could go on and on but you get the idea.
Posted By: Elle

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/08/12 02:51 PM

Let say we are in the time of Jeremiah 28 faced with two prophet claiming to speak for the Lord. How would a person know which of the prophet -- Hananiah or Jeremiah -- was inspired and speaking the will of the Lord?

We all know the outcome of what happened after that incidence and whose word came to pass. Despite, we should be able to know if a prophet is inspired or not without this information. Deut 13:2 says, that even if "the sign or the wonder come to pass" that this is not the indication of a true prophet.

By knowing the important determination that the Lord wants us to use to test a prophet is the crux.

As an exercise -- How can we tell which prophet in Jeremiah 28 is inspired?

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/09/12 05:28 PM

I could go on and on but you get the idea.

Would it be better to say that God didn't "ordain" the flaws, but given they were made, He worked them out for good?

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/09/12 05:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Harold Fair

She said, somewhere, that if we studied the Bible on our own, she wouoldn't have been necessary.
And as one so aptly put it, she is the lazy man's way of studying the Bible.
Posted By: Johann

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/09/12 06:01 PM

Ellen White rejected a book of doctrines based on her writings

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/09/12 06:30 PM

Jesus could have prevented the flaws, discrepancies in the Bible but He chose not to. He allowed them. Thus, they are inspired. No part of the Bible is uninspired.

The SOP was necessary to guide the SDA Church; otherwise, Jesus would not have employed Ellen White to share His thoughts. To say the SOP is not necessary is to say Jesus erred. No one has arrived at all 28 Fundamental Beliefs on their own without the guidance of the SOP.

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/10/12 02:46 AM

Very well put brother, Amen.

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/10/12 03:18 AM

Ellen White rejected a book of doctrines based on her writings

Yes she did, but if she was not to used in deciding the truth then why would God send her? Why did He inspire here to write over 5 times as much information than what is provided in scripture? God knew we would need her writings to be prepared and to have ample support in seeing who is truly inspired in the end.

You have heard of the "seven thunders" of Rev? God showed her what those thunders were. God gave a prophet to see it first through John, He gave a prophet in Mrs White to understand what they were, and a people in the last days to receive the fulfillment of the seven thunders.

These things were not written by John in the bible for a reason. They were not completely written out by Mrs White in the Spirit of prophecy either, but just enough evidence is given to look for it's fulfillment by God's people in the last days IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THE PREPARATION OF THE SPIRIT OF PROPHECY!

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/10/12 03:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Elle
Let say we are in the time of Jeremiah 28 faced with two prophet claiming to speak for the Lord. How would a person know which of the prophet -- Hananiah or Jeremiah -- was inspired and speaking the will of the Lord?

We all know the outcome of what happened after that incidence and whose word came to pass. Despite, we should be able to know if a prophet is inspired or not without this information. Deut 13:2 says, that even if "the sign or the wonder come to pass" that this is not the indication of a true prophet.

By knowing the important determination that the Lord wants us to use to test a prophet is the crux.

This is what Deuteronomy 13:2 says Sister, "and if the sign or wonder spoken of takes place, and the prophet says, “Let us follow other gods” (gods you have not known) “and let us worship them, 3 you must not listen to the words of that prophet or dreamer. The Lord your God is testing you to find out whether you love him with all your heart and with all your soul.”

You are being tested.
Posted By: Colin

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/10/12 05:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Colin
Basically, since all messengers of God were verbally inspired, and it is by personal conviction that it is recognised, so that's how we assemble for worship of Jesus as a church: personal conviction.

Yes, we can explain it, but we are personally convicted by the Spirit of Jesus.

Did I say that underlined part?? shocked

No, indeed it is not like that, but thoughts that were inspired! grin

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/10/12 08:12 AM

It's OK Brother. I laughed when I saw your last response. :0

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/10/12 08:19 AM

I hear it in the form of words some times. So you were right about some of the Prophecies. They did hear words sometimes.

Samuel was a child and He heard the still small voice call his name.

Those at the Baptism of Jesus who were not considered prophets exactly but were being prepared by the Spirit of Prophecy to receive the truth, heard the voice of God the Father speak. The others heard an earthquake. etc.

So you should not be embarrassed Colin.

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/10/12 08:21 AM

This is what Deuteronomy 13:2 says Sister, "and if the sign or wonder spoken of takes place, and the prophet says, “Let us follow other gods” (gods you have not known) “and let us worship them, 3 you must not listen to the words of that prophet or dreamer. The Lord your God is testing you to find out whether you love him with all your heart and with all your soul.”

You are being tested.

??? Deut 13;2 says the signs of this [false]prophet that is leading you away from the Lord did come to pass. The sign is not an indication of whether this person is inspired or not. It is true that a true prophet's sign will come to pass, but for most, they wouldn't be able to see it fulfill in their lifetime. The point is, since Deut 13:2 says that false prophet's sign can also come to pass, so we shouldn't be looking for fulfillments of signs as an indication if a prophet is inspired or not.

James, can you answer the question? How can you tell which prophet is inspired?

I really doubt you can and I doubt that anyone on this forum can. I wouldn't of been able to tell either when I was presented this. It showed me how little I knew the law(Torah) and the testimony(manner of keeping it) from which to test all prophets or doctrines.

This is how the house of Judah failed the test which for the majority it cost them their life for they couldn't tell that Jeremiah was actually talking in the manner of the Law. They followed the prophet that talked of the manner of "another god that they hast not known"(in the time of the wilderness experience with Moses). It is only by knowing the Torah that anyone can discern if someone is truly speaking accordingly and is inspired or not.

Now that I have emphasized what we already should know, I'm sure you still wouldn't be able to tell us which law Jeremiah was speaking accordingly and Hananiah was not, despite knowing all the history and having the testimonies of Jesus, the disciples and Paul.

This is to prove to us all how little we know the Law(Torah) by which is the expression of the Lord's character, mind, will, and plan to save us all.

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/10/12 09:52 AM

In Deuteronomy 13:2 it is saying that if a man says "let us worship other god's" this proves they are not prophets even if they do miracles.

Now do you get it?

You are using scripture out of context.

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/10/12 09:53 AM

If they speak not according to these words then there is no light in them.

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/10/12 04:09 PM

In Deuteronomy 13:2 it is saying that if a man says "let us worship other god's" this proves they are not prophets even if they do miracles.

Now do you get it?

You are using scripture out of context.

Not so at all. You are being unreasonably quite literal. Be careful my brother.

This is a statement expressing the essense of what a false prophet will say and lead you to do.

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/10/12 04:19 PM

If they speak not according to these words then there is no light in them.

Show us your light and speak according to the Law of the Lord. What law did Jeremiah speak accordingly proving his source of inspiration and Hananiah did not.

If you cannot, then rejoice my brother in the Lord's rebuke.

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/11/12 06:41 AM

The true test of a prophet is when they reflect the glory of the Lord. Like the face of Moses, you can tell when a man has spoken to God IF you have the faith of Jesus.

If you don't truly have this faith, a true prophet will be a thorn in your side. The trouble'er of Israel was the greatest of Prophets, and John the Baptist was in this same Spirit and so will the 144,000 be; proclaiming the Elijah Message.

So, to answer you question Elle, if a man is not in the true faith of Christ, a true prophet will be their greatest annoyance.

Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/12/12 01:53 AM

The true test of a prophet is when they reflect the glory of the Lord. Like the face of Moses, you can tell when a man has spoken to God IF you have the faith of Jesus.

You speak not according to the law. You are saying things "which thou hast not known"(what G-d has not spoken and has not taught to our forefathers). So since you are not repeating (testifying) what G-d has previously said, therefore in essense you are telling us to follow another god.

G-d has already define clearly in Deut 13 & 18 and in Is 8:20 how to test a prophet. Your definition is not according to the Lord's definition in the Law. Therefore according to the judgment of the law of [false] prophets it is written you must "stone him" -->put to death that false prophet in you(the man of sin that speaks falsely through you).

We all do this James. We all have the man of sin(the false prophet in us) speak out many times what the Lord has not said. Be careful my brother and be more vigilent in only saying what the Lord says. Follow the example of Jesus where He did only what His Father did, and spoke only what His Father spoke. John 5:19 This is how Jesus was the true Amen(or witness) of G-d. He only repeated the word of His Father.

Originally Posted By: James
So, to answer you question Elle, if a man is not in the true faith of Christ, a true prophet will be their greatest annoyance.
That was not my question. You are evading the question completly because you cannot answer it for you know little of the law of Moses.

Like I said, I would of been very surprised you would been able to. Very few SDAs(I only know of one) can answer this question because we do not study the Laws of Moses. We think we do, but the reality is we don't. This is a sore truth to admit. Therefore we are not equip to differentiate a true prophet from a false or an inspired person to a uninspired one. This is a very dangerous state of being. We are blinds leading blinds.

Let it be a rebuked from the Lord and rejoice in it because of this revelation. I was glad to know the truth how ignorant I was of the Lord's Laws.

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/12/12 02:02 AM

You sound annoyed. Am I thorn in your side?

I was making a point, beyond the obvious laws of a prophet.

I am not wrong about it.
Posted By: JAK

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/12/12 04:51 AM

Kinda casts you in a real favorable light, JSOT...

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/12/12 07:27 PM

And would that make you an anointed messenger to make this statement against me?

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/13/12 02:38 AM

ADMIN HAT ON!!!

This thread is about EGW, not about anybody else, therefore, any other OT posts will be reported and then removed.

ADMIN HAT OFF!!!

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/13/12 02:40 AM

Thank you Daryl.

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/14/12 12:17 PM

You sound annoyed. Am I thorn in your side?

No, you don't annoy me James.

Babylon -- the Thorn
Actually, what you say above does touch the answer of how the Judahites exactly felt when the Babylonians came to take over their land and ask a tribute(tax) to be paid. Jeremiah came in with a wooden yoke and said to submit to Babylon. Jeremiah was not the thorn, it was the King of Babylon(who was G-d's servant and sent by G-d) the thorn. Jeremiah told them what they didn't want to hear to solve the torn problem(submit to G-d's judgment). Hananiah on the other hand said exactly what they wanted to hear--let's destroy that evil thorn.

Jeremiah spoke according to the Law of Tribulation
To answer the question.....What makes Jeremiah the true prophet or inspired one in this incidence, is he spoke according to the Lord's Law given in Deut 28 and Lev 26. If Judah would of studied the Laws and reckoned how the Lord had constantly followed that Law when He brought them in 6 wooden yokes in the past; they would of recognized that Jeremiah was speaking according to God's Law.

He came with the wooden yoke which would of been a lighter judgment on them. Under the wooden yoke judgment, they would of been allowed to stay in their land and continue their lives, and only submit to Babylon's tax. Hananiah broke the wooden yoke and in doing so, they were in direct contempt of God's judgment. Then the Lord gave them the Iron yoke(majority died by the sword, famine and plague, and the remaining exile).

Quote:

I am not wrong about it.
I fail to see the practicality of your point. Someone is not going to see a light(glory of God) beaming out of a true prophet's face. I'm sure Jeremiah was not glowing.
Posted By: JAK

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/17/12 05:20 AM

And would that make you an anointed messenger to make this statement against me?

Well, not just that. I'm smarter than you, too. ROFL

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/18/12 08:34 AM

I am not wrong about it.
I fail to see the practicality of your point. Someone is not going to see a light(glory of God) beaming out of a true prophet's face. I'm sure Jeremiah was not glowing.

The word "glory" refers to character, not necesarily "glowing".
The Hebrew word for “glory” is Kabod; it basically means weight or substance. God’s glory manifests and reveals His love and goodness.

Moses asked to see God's glory. God’s reply, “I will make all My goodness pass before you, and I will proclaim the name of the Lord before you. I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion” (Exodus 33:19)

When we look to Jesus we too can see the glory of God revealed.

2 Cor. 4:6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, has shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

So yes, a true messenger of God will have the glory of God shining in their faces. Not in a glowing light, but in the expression on their faces and the actions of their lives, reflecting the character of God.

John 13:35 By this shall all know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

1 John 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.

Matt. 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
Gal 5:22-23 For the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Meekness, temperance.

The life of the prophet must be worthy of God's personal representative. A prophet should be recognized as different from other people, because in vision they have seen and talked with Christ and angels.

In addition to their message agreeing with the biblical prophets, (a very important test) the prophet's own life should be a godly one, and the tenor of their messages is such to lead people to a saving relationship with Christ and to a genuine godly, commandment keeping life.

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/18/12 09:05 AM

Originally Posted By: kland
Originally Posted By: Harold Fair

And as one so aptly put it, she is the lazy man's way of studying the Bible.

While we must base our doctrines upon the scriptures, and its true that all the doctrines of the Seventh-day Adventist church came from Bible study first.
Thus it's true if we dig deeply into scripture we can find all the answers for doctrine and salvation in it's pages.

However, Ellen White's writings are needed to guide the church through the last days.
As one Author puts it -- EGW's writings are like a "harbor map". A ship sailing the high seas has a big world map in the pilot's area. While out on the oceans this map is all the pilot needs, but when they come to a harbor, expecially one with lots of reefs, a local pilot may come aboard with a "harbor map", to show all the dangerous points in the harbor.

The Bible is like the BIG map of the world that guides the ships across the seven oceans.
The harbour map is like the writings of EGW -- specifically meant to guide the ship through the dangerous waters.

People who throw out the harbour map, are throwing out all the warnings and points of danger upon which the church and its members can get hung up and shipwrecked during the last days of earth's history.

Satan's big effort is to make of non-effect the writings of EGW.

Quote:
There will be a hatred kindled against the testimonies which is satanic. The workings of Satan will be to unsettle the faith of the churches in them for this reason:
Satan cannot have so clear a track to bring in his deceptions and bind up souls in his delusions if the warnings and reproofs and counsels of the spirit of God are heeded.
(1888 material page 797)

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/18/12 06:59 PM

Those SDAs who are not completely convinced Jesus is guiding them through the SOP are in danger of backsliding.

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/19/12 10:56 AM

Originally Posted By: dedication
A prophet should be recognized as different from other people....the prophet's own life should be a godly one... and to a genuine godly, commandment keeping life.

Let's bring your point with an extreme example.

If Ellen white(or any claimed prophet) conveyed the word received from the Lord without any clothings(behind/but naked) in public -- would you consider that a sure indication that this person is ungodly?

Is there Bible texts that support that a godly life is the test of a prophet?

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/20/12 06:59 AM

Elle seems to be implying Isaiah 20 here, where Isaiah was to demonstrate the shame that would befall Israel.

However, character is something different.

Character is who a person is -- and character is affected by the company one keeps. Someone who spends a lot of time with the Lord, will reflect His character. They are still human but there is something

John 13:35 By this shall all know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

1 John 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.

Gal 5:22-23 For the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Meekness, temperance.

The life of the prophet must be worthy of God's personal representative. A prophet should be recognized as different from other people, because in vision they have seen and talked with Christ and angels.

Just read through Paul's letters,
he maintains he doesn't need letters of recommendation, people can see he speaks the words of God by the changed lives of those who believe his message. (See 2 Cor. 3:1-3 for example)

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/21/12 02:50 PM

I am not wrong about it.

The word "glory" refers to character, not necesarily "glowing".
The Hebrew word for “glory” is Kabod; it basically means weight or substance. God’s glory manifests and reveals His love and goodness.

Moses asked to see God's glory. God’s reply, “I will make all My goodness pass before you, and I will proclaim the name of the Lord before you. I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion” (Exodus 33:19)

When we look to Jesus we too can see the glory of God revealed.

2 Cor. 4:6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, has shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

So yes, a true messenger of God will have the glory of God shining in their faces. Not in a glowing light, but in the expression on their faces and the actions of their lives, reflecting the character of God.

Amen!

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/24/12 01:47 AM

Elle seems to be implying Isaiah 20 here, where Isaiah was to demonstrate the shame that would befall Israel.

However, character is something different.
I bet if the Lord had ask Ellen White to go around naked for 3 years, we wouldn’t have a SDA church today. This sort of display does effect how people view you and they will judge your character by this. Just like many had judge Hosea's character when he married that prostitute and Ezekiel for eating food cook over dung and laying on his side for so long.
Character is who a person is -- and character is affected by the company one keeps. Someone who spends a lot of time with the Lord, will reflect His character. They are still human but there is something
Meekness, temperance.
Just read through Paul's letters,
he maintains he doesn't need letters of recommendation, people can see he speaks the words of God by the changed lives of those who believe his message. (See 2 Cor. 3:1-3 for example)

-All these texts does not express that character is the test of a prophet’s words. We have the example of Jonah that failed the character test, however, the Lord still used him.

-The Lord uses who He wants to prophesize despite of character.

-Plus, all men fall short of the glory of G-d, so all our characters fall short from what its suppose to be.

-No prophets know all things. So they prophesize partially because their knowledge is partial. There’s limitation what any prophet knows which means all their words that proceeds from their mouth or pens are not all inspired.

-It is our duty (according to the Lord’s Law in Deut 13, Deut 18 and Is 8:20 and other texts) to test all words even from a true prophet that has spoken in harmony from the law in the past. We shouldn’t assume that any words prophet speaks is sure, and can slack off on our duty that the Lord gave us all. Just because the Lord used him in the past doesn’t mean that he will be using him continually all the time.
Posted By: Green Cochoa

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/24/12 05:52 AM

A prophet should be recognized as different from other people....the prophet's own life should be a godly one... and to a genuine godly, commandment keeping life.

Let's bring your point with an extreme example.

If Ellen white(or any claimed prophet) conveyed the word received from the Lord without any clothings(behind/but naked) in public -- would you consider that a sure indication that this person is ungodly?

Is there Bible texts that support that a godly life is the test of a prophet?

There is enough to show that had Ellen White been willfully naked in public, she could not be declared to be God's prophet.
Originally Posted By: Ellen White
Men and women, supposed to be guided by the Holy Spirit, held meetings in a state of nudity. They talked about holy flesh. They said they were beyond the power of temptation, and they sang, and shouted, and made all manner of noisy demonstrations. These men and women were not bad, but they were deceived and deluded. . . . Satan was moulding the work, and sensuality was the result. The cause of God was dishonored. Truth, sacred truth, was leveled in the dust by human agencies. {NL 51.3}
The authorities of the land interfered, and several of the ring leaders were incarcerated within prison walls. By those who were confined in prison this interference was termed persecution for the truth's sake, and thus truth was clothed with garments spotted with the flesh. . . . I presented the reproof of the Lord regarding this kind of work, showing that its influence was making the truth objectionable and disgusting to the community. . . . {NL 52.1}
I bore my testimony, declaring that these fanatical movements, this din and noise, were inspired by the spirit of Satan, who was working miracles to deceive if possible the very elect. [LETTER 132, 1900. (PORTIONS IN SELECTED MESSAGES, BOOK 2, PP. 36, 37.)] {NL 52.2}

She would have gone against her own counsel, would she not? Here are some of the Bible's words regarding prophets.
Originally Posted By: The Bible
Then the LORD said unto me, The prophets prophesy lies in my name: I sent them not, neither have I commanded them, neither spake unto them: they prophesy unto you a false vision and divination, and a thing of nought, and the deceit of their heart. (Jeremiah 14:14)

And here's another one...
Jeremiah
8:10 Therefore will I give their wives unto others, [and] their fields to them that shall inherit [them]: for every one from the least even unto the greatest is given to covetousness, from the prophet even unto the priest every one dealeth falsely.
8:11 For they have healed the hurt of the daughter of my people slightly, saying, Peace, peace; when [there is] no peace.
8:12 Were they ashamed when they had committed abomination? nay, they were not at all ashamed, neither could they blush: therefore shall they fall among them that fall: in the time of their visitation they shall be cast down, saith the LORD.
8:13 I will surely consume them, saith the LORD: [there shall be] no grapes on the vine, nor figs on the fig tree, and the leaf shall fade; and [the things that] I have given them shall pass away from them.

So if Ellen White were so shameless as to have appeared in public unclad, she would have been represented among the false prophets and others who are mentioned in the passage above.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/24/12 08:03 AM

Why argue against the Bible?

Matt. 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
7:17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/24/12 09:10 AM

Yes, by their fruits we must know them. This was given in the context of prophets especially.

"Fruits" are all aspects of one's character. Galatians lists some of the fruits out as love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, meekness, etc. These are all character traits for the true Christian, or should be. If a prophet is sorely lacking in these basic attributes, his or her inspired status might be questioned by the people.

Do prophets ever fail? Certainly. Prophets are human. Jonah had issues. Balaam had issues. Even David had issues. Yet each of them was a prophet. Moses, one of the best of them all, failed in striking the rock the second time. In a sense it may be true that God can speak through most anyone. Consider King Saul. But God generally chooses career prophets from among His most faithful followers.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/24/12 11:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Yes, by their fruits we must know them. This was given in the context of prophets especially.

"Fruits" are all aspects of one's character. Galatians lists some of the fruits out as love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, meekness, etc. These are all character traits for the true Christian, or should be. If a prophet is sorely lacking in these basic attributes, his or her inspired status might be questioned by the people.

Do prophets ever fail? Certainly. Prophets are human. Jonah had issues. Balaam had issues. Even David had issues. Yet each of them was a prophet. Moses, one of the best of them all, failed in striking the rock the second time. In a sense it may be true that God can speak through most anyone. Consider King Saul. But God generally chooses career prophets from among His most faithful followers.

I agree prophets are human, have issues, and the best fails at times. I also agree that a prophet that the Lord chooses for carrying an office in prophecizing for Him will learn to hear His voice and follow the lead of His Spirit; will show fruits, but is not always the rule as we see with Jonah, or what a prophet is call to do can lead us to question and misjudge the prophet and the Lord's character as in Isiaiah, Ezekiel, and Hosea.

By their Character is not how we Test a Prophet
However just because someone have the fruits of the Spirit doesn't mean all their words they speak are prophecies or resonate all the truth in their words. Everyone's knowledge is partial. No one has all the knowledge. Also, the Lord has not reveal everything He is going to do yet. More is to come. We have the general lines of His plans depicted in the Laws(Torah), the Prophets, and NT; however as events unfolds there's current work being perform, specific work done in different countries, and much more is to come that the Lord call's messengers(prophets) to let the body know about the current status and what is expected of us to do next in establishing His plan in our country or community.

Our Christian Duty to Test all things by the Law
So how do we know if these new people called or past messages given are the Lord's word??? It is our Christian duty to test the integrity of every messages spoken to us according to the Law. Their's no way around it. Nor do I see in scriptures any other way specified by the Lord.

Some individuals in the body may be young not knowing the Law and therefore is not equip to test thoroughly a message. However, the ones that have more experience in testing all things, can detect better the suttle inconsistencies and have a responsibility to share it with the body so the body can learn together the law(G-d's working out His plan)and grow to recognize better His voice, His hand and His ways.

But if a church has nailed the laws(Torah) to the cross, therefore sees no need to study and meditate on them deligently and do not have as a practice to test all messages against the law ... then they neglect their fundamental duty that the Lord has instructed them in the Bible.

The Bereans were praised for testing all things with the Law and the Prophets. In this vital basic practice, we come to learn the law(the mind of the Lord) deeper and deeper. And that's how the Lord matures an individual and a Church.

A church that does not have this fundamental practice cannot discern if a brother is speaking the truth or not. They will be like the house of Judah in a verge of destruction that couldn't discern that Jeremiah was speaking the words of the Lord and almost killed him for speaking "blasphemy" and praised Hananiah's words.

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/29/12 04:08 AM

Why argue against the Bible?

Matt. 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
7:17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

I was looking for that text to post in another thread, but posted a similar one instead.

Anyway, the text tells me that a prophet will also be known by their fruits, rather than simply by the words they speak or write.

I would say that EGW passed the fruits test.

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/29/12 04:48 AM

In response to Elle's post, where does it say in the Scriptures that a prophet is to be tested by "the Law and the Prophets"???

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 11/29/12 06:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Daryl
In response to Elle's post, where does it say in the Scriptures that a prophet is to be tested by "the Law and the Prophets"???

To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them. (Isaiah 8:20)

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
Posted By: Alchemy

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 01/16/14 01:29 PM

Absolutely.

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 01/16/14 01:43 PM

Elle,

In 1 Samuel 3:19, the Bible says the Lord doesn't let his words fall to the ground. In this case, it was talking about Samuel. This is an important test of a prophet.

Consider Abraham; Abraham had this promise from God that He would make Abraham a great nation with descendants beyond number. When Sarah couldn't have children anymore, Abraham gets with Hagar and Ishmael is born.

For 12 years Abraham believed that Ishmael was the child of promise, until the Lord spoke to Abraham in Genesis 17. Here God put Abraham and Sarah back on track with the promise He had made. About a year later Sarah bore Isaac.

God's word will not return unto Him void because it is His word and only God can see it to fruition. If God has to depend on ME to fulfill his prophecies, He isn't much of a God.

I know the evangelicals don't understand this point, but, this is what the Bible teaches. God steps in and makes His promise come true just as God intended it. That is why in Genesis chapter 21, we see God calling Abraham a prophet.

Just like with Jonah! God saw it through to the end even when Jonah was on the run. Jonah's message was from God and God used His prophet to deliver it.

I hope I was clear.

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 01/16/14 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Alchemy
Elle,

In 1 Samuel 3:19, the Bible says the Lord doesn't let his words fall to the ground. In this case, it was talking about Samuel. This is an important test of a prophet.

Consider Abraham; Abraham had this promise from God that He would make Abraham a great nation with descendants beyond number. When Sarah couldn't have children anymore, Abraham gets with Hagar and Ishmael is born.

For 12 years Abraham believed that Ishmael was the child of promise, until the Lord spoke to Abraham in Genesis 17. Here God put Abraham and Sarah back on track with the promise He had made. About a year later Sarah bore Isaac.

God's word will not return unto Him void because it is His word and only God can see it to fruition. If God has to depend on ME to fulfill his prophecies, He isn't much of a God.

I know the evangelicals don't understand this point, but, this is what the Bible teaches. God steps in and makes His promise come true just as God intended it. That is why in Genesis chapter 21, we see God calling Abraham a prophet.

Just like with Jonah! God saw it through to the end even when Jonah was on the run. Jonah's message was from God and God used His prophet to deliver it.

I hope I was clear.

The discussion is about how we can recognize if the words that comes from someone is inspired or not.

In Jonah or 1Sm 3:19 it is not about that. In v.18 Eli first recognized that the word Samuel received was from the Lord. This is what this discussion is about but V.18 does not reveal how Eli knew. Once the word is recognized to be coming from the Lord, then yes I agree with your post that no portion of it will hit the ground and will not come empty.

Tx for the story of Abram as it is a prime example of a prophet that heard the word of the Lord but did not understand all of it. For many years, Abram was a "false prophet" in interpretating the word of the Lord he had received wrongly. We see the Lord letting Abram go with the wrong interpretation of His word without correcting him. The son Abram had with Hagar was the work of a "false prophet" or "false interpretation" of an authentic promise he received.

Additional revelation of the promise only came when it was time to fulfill the promise. Abram was 99 years old then. Only then Abram realized that Ishmael was not the promised son. This new revelation or "inspiration" is what led to much understanding about the Lord ways for Abram which made him an overcomer. All these years, Abram was just a believer. As an overcomer, the Lord changed Abram name to Abraham.

What made Abraham an overcomer is that revelation brought the understanding that the Lord was Sovereign over everything and He does not need the help of man to fulfill any of His Words. So as a result, Abram & Sarai pass through the vital door of Christian growth and maturity, and the Lord added the letter "Hey" which means breath(inspiration) to both the name of Abraham and of Sarah.

This lesson points the same thing usually happens to any other prophets that hear the Lord's words -- including Ellen White. She did receive visions and these did come from the Lord, however her interpretation needs to be tested. It is our duty as Christians to test all the words that come from anyone. That is what the Lord requires of us as He has commanded in Deut 13 and Is 8:20 and elsewhere. Each one of us have the responsibility to safeguard(Deut 11:1) the already laid foundation establish by the Lord himself via Moses. "For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid"1Cr 3:11.

Deut 13 tells us even if the visions comes to pass -- it is not a reason to take or assume that whatever is said from that prophet as inspired from the Lord. We are to test all their words for their interpretation of the vision may be wrong and they may not have received the interpretation of it even if they claimed or sincerely think they did.

Even Deut 13 states that prophets are sent to us for the purpose to test us whether or not we truly love Him in obeying His commands and keeping His charge(Deut 11:1).

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 01/17/14 05:58 AM

Well, I agree that Abraham was wrong for awhile, but, I wouldn't call him a false prophet. He believed the child of promise would come through him and Sarah, and in the end it did! Of course, God made it so.

If you would have listened to Abraham throughout his entire experience, you would have witnessed many miracles to support Abraham's prophetic gift.

So, how does Abraham know to take Isaac up the mountain to sacrifice Isaac? How indeed.
Posted By: James Peterson

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? - 01/17/14 09:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Daryl

ANYONE who is motivated by love is inspired by God WHEN they act purely in the interest of others in helping them be better persons. Using such a definition means that only Ellen White knows whether she was inspired or not, to write the things "she wrote." It is left up to her readers to test, NOT the authenticity of her claim to prophethoot (or however else she may have described her mission), but the TRUTH OR FALCITY of her word.

It is imperative therefore that her readers FIRST become familiar with the Bible, listen and carefully weigh her word against what is written therein and against the ideas of others, and then make duly informed decisions. Even Jesus accommodated this laborious process of learning and acceptance in his disciples to the extent that he allowed Thomas room when he (Thomas) finally conceded, "My Lord and my God", AFTER all was said and done. God is patient. Thereafter, one would think, Thomas was COMPLETELY converted and all the patience of Jesus paid off.

If Ellen White has been found wrong, then SDA ought to be brave enough to say so. The Biblical cannon has been closed almost two thousand years ago. All that is needed for salvation has been established already long ago. Now is not the time to be quibbling over obscure and voluminous texts, but to go into the highways and byways announcing the gospel of salvation according to the Bible and the Bible only. But SDA are sleeping with their heads bowed heavily in nine volumes of EGW testimonies. Just take a cursory read through the posts on this forum and you'd see the abundance of misguided ignorance. They have become Roman Catholic monks in character, given over to endless speculations in supposedly holy intellectual conversations.

///
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church