Questions Regarding General Forum Rules?

Posted By: ProdigalOne

Questions Regarding General Forum Rules? - 07/24/20 07:14 AM

Attention, Daryl Fawcett, can you please clarify some of the General Forum Rules displayed after the sign in page?

Rule #9 -
"Censored Words: Words are censored for a reason. By-passing censored words, or publicly discussing censored words, may result in a ban for an indefinite length of time. This new rule is effective July 13, 2020."

Rule number 9 brings to mind the war on free speech currently underway in the secular world. I do not recall her name (and the report appears to have been scrubbed), last year, the human resource manager for one of the big media companies in Silicon Valley was fired for using a prohibited word while leading an anti racism session. She was attempting to illustrate unacceptable language and explain its offensiveness as a teaching tool. Good intentions did not save her.

Also, what exactly does "By-passing censored words" mean?

"publicly discussing censored words, may result in a ban..."
How are we to know if a word is censored? Who decides if a word is "offensive"?
Is questioning the BLM platform "offensive"? Numerous individuals have been fired and unpersoned for this "crime". Many did not even know it was considered "offensive".

I could present some examples of words I find offensive and others do not; unfortunately, that appears to be forbidden by rule #9.

Rule #11 -
"You must not name a person when posting anything negative about that person's beliefs or theology unless the negative beliefs or theology of that person has publically been made known by the Seventh-day Adventist Church or you can verify that person's beliefs or theology from a book which that person wrote or from an audio or video tape of what that person said."

As with rule #9, rule #11 appears to be rather subjective. For example, I may claim that the General Conference is not following the SOP. I may even present records of actions taken by named individual members of the GC in direct opposition to the words of Sister White. An opposing view may then be presented, backed by quotes from the SOP. Have I then broken rule #11? Who decides? What criteria is used to make the decision?

Are members to be left at the mercy of moderators subjectively interpreting rules that we are (as is the case with rule #9) not even permitted to discuss among ourselves without risk of censorship and banning? This is frighteningly close to the current secular model...

Legal Disclaimer -
"We at Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or whatever information we know about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any message posted by you."

Am I interpreting this self indemnification clause correctly? If a member has spoken out on site against the keeping of Sunday, declared that they will not keep Sunday, rather they will honour the Seventh Day Sabbath, and (as current events backed by Bible prophesy show is coming very soon) a Sunday law is passed, "Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or whatever information we know about you)?"
Posted By: Daryl

Re: Questions Regarding General Forum Rules? - 07/24/20 10:27 AM

I moved this to this more appropriate area for these type of questions.

When I have more time, I will try and answer each question here, one question at a time.

Re: Questions Regarding General Forum Rules? - 07/24/20 04:32 PM

Rule #9 -
"Censored Words: Words are censored for a reason. By-passing censored words, or publicly discussing censored words, may result in a ban for an indefinite length of time. This new rule is effective July 13, 2020."

Words that are censored are words that are considered as "curse words" that do not have any place in a Christian Forum.

Other words that are censored are words that are considered to be inflammatory to another member or group of members.

Members/Users should be able to post in a respectable manner and not resort to using such inflammatory words.

Re: Questions Regarding General Forum Rules? - 07/25/20 08:27 AM

Inflammatory is rather subjective. Many people would claim that calling the Pope the Antichrist is inflammatory toward Catholic visitors, on site.
And, they would, in my opinion, be correct.

Re: Questions Regarding General Forum Rules? - 07/25/20 02:58 PM

Remember it is one word that is censored not the thought or idea behind what can be substantiated by the Bible.

Name calling in the use of a word, whether censored or not, is what is wrong.

Using, for example, the N word against an identifiable person or group persons is wrong and is what I think I am going to add to the list of censored words.

Re: Questions Regarding General Forum Rules? - 07/29/20 08:21 AM

There is a "list"?

Re: Questions Regarding General Forum Rules? - 07/29/20 01:47 PM

Yes, there is a list that I am unable to share as the forum software will not allow them to be posted.

For example, [censored] being a censored words appears as [censored] as you can see.

Re: Questions Regarding General Forum Rules? - 07/29/20 01:51 PM

Most of them are curse words that none of us would want to appear in anybody's posts.

Others are inflammatory words.

The word such as "hell" can be used in a biblical sense, or in a non-biblical sense as in "Go to hell" which is why the word itself can't be included in the list.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church