What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty?

Posted By: Mountain Man

What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? - 02/20/05 08:41 PM

This one has troubled alot of people, myself included. What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? How can a person know the difference? especially in the middle of being tempted? Sometimes a particular temptation is so strong, so overwhelming that it's difficult to tell whether I'm already guilty of it. Should I continue resisting the temptation, or am I already guilty of it, and should start focusing on repenting of my sin? Does anyone know what I mean?
Posted By: Cheri Fritz

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? - 02/21/05 03:23 PM

Greetings Brother Mike,

The temptation becomes sin when our minds are diverted from Christ Jesus.

In me may be the tare, which is hidden inside of my heart. Christ is teaching us today how to let go of these hidden things inside the heart which divert the mind.

quote:
Temptations will pour in upon us; for by them we are to be tried during our probation. This is the proving of God, the revelation of our own hearts. There is no sin in having temptation; but sin comes in when temptation is yielded to. {ST, May 27, 1897 par. 3}
So if you find yourself diverted of Christ, praise the Lord and pray for Him to teach you how to remove the tare of the heart.

It is just the past week that Christ has been working on a tare in my heart. It is a process that teaches us humility and humbles ourselves before the Lord. For me it was greatly painful for I am a sinner and often do not like to see my faults, but Jesus loves me (& I Him) and wants me to see with His eyes what He sees in me. And if I shall pray Lord make me whole, He will guide me into all truth, even the truth that is dwelling in me.

Your Sister in Christ Jesus,
Cheri Fritz

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? - 02/21/05 08:06 PM

Thank you, sister Cheri. That makes alot of sense, especially as it pertains to unknown sins, or sins of ignorance, that may lurk within us. But what about known sins? Is being tempted over and over again an indication that we haven't overcome that particular known sin?

In other words, when can we be sure that it has been crucified? If a certain defective trait of character or imperfection has been crucified can we still be tempted with it again? If so, then what does it mean? Does it mean it hasn't been crucified? Do you know what I mean?
Posted By: Will

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? - 02/21/05 08:09 PM

Being tempted again and again does not mean that it (the sin itself) was not overcome, but it is when you fall into it again and again that it was not overcome. We are dead to sin, but that does not mean you will not be tempted again.
God Bless,
Will

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? - 02/21/05 10:40 PM

Greetings Brother Mike,

Hearing sin is just that...hearing it. Being harassed by Satan is just that.

It is not a character flaw to hear sin. For if it was then Christ would have failed being the spotless Lamb of God while in the desert being presented with temptation.

To be crucified with Christ means that we are dying self. That we are coming to Christ Jesus to ask for a clean character. Yet during our walk there may be hidden things that haunt us and we might sweep it beneath our minds while it lays dormat in the heart. Prayerfully this is our time of ignorance and not self-willed ignorance. So we need to learn from the Psalmist:

Psalm 26:2 Examine me, O LORD, and prove me; try my reins and my heart.

Go to our Lord, inquire of Him, He will be sure to let us know if we are truly crucified in Christ Jesus.

Cheri Fritz

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? - 02/21/05 11:50 PM

Will, that sounds reasonable to me. But being tempted over and over again for the same thing sure makes life a battle and a march, doesn't it? I didn't understand this important insight when I first became a Christian. I used to think I was automatically guilty every time I was tempted to be unChristlike.

That is, I felt guilty and unclean because it was difficult for me to tell the difference between being tempted and being guilty. Even now there are times when I feel grossed out and disgusted when I'm tempted. But I've learned not to blame myself for the initial existence of the unholy thoughts and feelings that pop up inside my head.

Cheri, thank you for reminding me that Jesus Himself was tempted. It is truly comforting to know that it is not a sin to be tempted. But I'm still having a hard time understanding the difference between known and unknown defective traits of character. How do you define the differences between the two? Sin can be very deceiving, therefore, I don't want to fall into a snare thinking I'm safe, thinking I'm not guilty because it was an unknown sin, or whatever.

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? - 02/22/05 02:24 PM

Greetings Brother Mike,

The Holy Spirit teaches all truth, we must call on the power of the Holy Spirit to teach us to discern. "Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you."

Cheri Fritzd
Posted By: Shelley

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? - 02/22/05 02:34 PM

quote:
I don't want to fall into a snare thinking I'm safe, thinking I'm not guilty because it was an unknown sin, or whatever.
We are all guilty none of us is without sin. The good news is that we have Jesus who covers us with His righteousness. Maybe I am weird, but I don't feel guilty when I have been shown that I have committed an unknown sin. I feel blessed that God is interested enough in me to want to show me the error of my way. He treats me tenderly and does not condemn me.

The dictionary defines guilt as ( having done wrong, deserving to be blamed or punished). We have all done wrong and deserve to be punished. However, we can rejoice in the fact that Jesus took the blame and punishment that was meant for us. I am guilty, guilty, guilty and I can do nothing to change that fact. Jesus has taken my guilt and shame and I can rejoice. And I am certainly not going to take it back again. This does not mean that I do not feel sorry, confess my sins, or try to make amends when I have done something wrong.

1 John 2:1 (NLT) My dear children, I am writing this to you so that you will not sin. But if you do sin, there is someone to plead for you before the Father. He is Jesus Christ, the one who pleases God.

[ February 22, 2005, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: Shelley ]

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? - 02/23/05 07:17 AM

Shelley, thank you for sharing. Maybe I'm not understanding your point, so please forgive me, but it sounds like you're saying we'll never really be completely free of unknown sins and imperfections, that we'll always be sinful and defective in one way or another.

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? - 02/23/05 12:02 PM

quote:
it sounds like you're saying we'll never really be completely free of unknown sins and imperfections, that we'll always be sinful and defective in one way or another.
You do understand my point as I am saying exactly what you thought I was saying.

The following verse indicates that we may still sin.

quote:
1 John 2:1 (NLT) My dear children, I am writing this to you so that you will not sin. But if you do sin, there is someone to plead for you before the Father. He is Jesus Christ, the one who pleases God.

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? - 02/23/05 06:09 PM

Shelley, are you suggesting that the part where John says "but if you do sin" means we will never really be completely free of unknown sins and imperfections, that we'll always be sinful and defective in one way or another? If so, then I must admit it sounds rather discouraging.

Cheri, is that how you see it?

Does anybody else see it that way?

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? - 02/23/05 09:08 PM

Greetings Brother Mike,

quote:
"Moses upon the mount of transfiguration was a witness to Christ's victory over sin and death. He represented those who shall come forth from the grave at the resurrection of the just. Elijah, who had been translated to heaven without seeing death, represented those who will be living upon the earth at Christ's second coming, and who will be "changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump;" when "this mortal must put on immortality," and "this corruptible must put on incorruption." 1 Cor. 15:51-53. Jesus was clothed with the light of heaven, as He will appear when He shall come "the second time without sin unto salvation." For He will come "in the glory of His Father with the holy angels." Heb. 9:28; Mark 8:38. The Saviour's promise to the disciples was now fulfilled. Upon the mount the future kingdom of glory was represented in miniature,--Christ the King, Moses a representative of the risen saints, and Elijah of the translated ones." {DA 421.4}
Today we are to be learning like Elijah, to forsake the corruptible to put on the incorruptible.

I believe that those that will be translated with the last trump will have learned to forsake sin, and will be wonderful presentable and ready to meet Christ in the clouds of glory. So in answer to your question, I believe that we may be completely and utterly free of our sinful character, because Christ told us to be perfect...not to just try but literally stated
Matthew 5:48 "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."

And we read that "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Philippians 4:13.

Cheri Fritz

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? - 02/23/05 09:24 PM

I praise God for having an Advocate if I do stub my toe..
God Bless,
Will

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? - 02/23/05 11:28 PM

Thank you, Cheri.

Will, at what point can we expect to praise God when we stub our toe, instead of ... I mean, one of these days Jesus is going to throw down the golden censer, and if we curse afterwards, because we stub our toe, well, there isn't anyone to intercede on our behalf before God.

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? - 02/23/05 11:36 PM

Someone was explaining to me how God is too good to reveal our defects all at once because we wouldn't be able to handle it, that such knowledge would blow us away or crush out our life. But then I ran across this quote:

SC 29
One ray of the glory of God, one gleam of the purity of Christ, penetrating the soul, makes every spot of defilement painfully distinct, and lays bare the deformity and defects of the human character. It makes apparent the unhallowed desires, the infidelity of the heart, the impurity of the lips. The sinner's acts of disloyalty in making void the law of God, are exposed to his sight, and his spirit is stricken and afflicted under the searching influence of the Spirit of God. He loathes himself as he views the pure, spotless character of Christ. {SC 29.1}

In light of this inspired insight - What is considered an unknown defect of character?

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? - 02/23/05 11:48 PM

Hi Mike,
What is your interpretation of what John wrote in 1 John 2:1
quote:

1My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

I am very familiar with all the points you have brought up, but you have not given your view and interpretation on this passage, or I may have not seen it.
God Bless,
Will

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? - 02/24/05 04:40 AM

Will, this promise applies when we commit a known sin, and thank God for this promise, because most of us backslide pretty regularly. But I believe we need to study this text in its immediate context. John isn’t saying you will sin, but rather, if we sin. The word “if” implies a conditional aspect. Ascertaining the condition, therefore, is necessary in order to correctly understand the promise.

What is the promise? If we sin, Jesus acts as our advocate, because He is the propitiation for our sin. This promise assumes, of course, we have repented of our sin, because Jesus cannot apply the benefits of His blood to atone for our sin if we refuse to repent. And this promise only applies to someone who has committed a known sin, which means we have to sin in order to claim it. Sinning, therefore, is the conditional aspect of 1 John 2:1.

But salvation promises more than merely repentance and forgiveness, it promises born again believers freedom from sinning – now and forever. And, once again, these types of promises (i.e., freedom from sinning) imply a conditional aspect, namely, that we are dead to sin and awake to righteousness. To be free from sin we must be dead to sin, self and Satan.

But most importantly, we must be connected to Jesus, we must walk in the Spirit and mind of the new man, we must continually partake of the divine nature. John and Peter make it clear that it is impossible to commit a known sin if we are abiding in Christ, if we are connected to Him, if we are partaking of the divine nature. To commit a known sin, therefore, we must stop abiding in Jesus, and stop partaking of the divine nature.

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? - 02/24/05 02:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Lowe:
[QB] Shelley, are you suggesting that the part where John says "but if you do sin" means we will never really be completely free of unknown sins and imperfections, that we'll always be sinful and defective in one way or another? If so, then I must admit it sounds rather discouraging.

Yes, I believe until Jesus comes again we will remain imperfect. I am sorry that you see it as discouraging Mark. I see it as encouraging because I don't have to continually try to work at being perfect. I accept my imperfections and rejoice in the fact that I have Jesus as an advocate. He makes me right with God. AMEN TO THAT

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? - 02/24/05 06:45 PM

But Shelley, at what point would you be willing to sweat blood, if need be, to resist sinning? Believing that you cannot completely crucify your imperfections has, I would think, the potential of weakening your resolve to resist giving in to temptation. "Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin." Heb 12:4. I am asking these questions because I am interested in learning more about your view.

1. In light of the Steps to Christ paragraph quoted above, what do you consider an unknown character defect?

2. How do you explain, in light of what you believe about retaining imperfections, the following promises:

Romans
6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with [him], that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

1 Corinthians
10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God [is] faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear [it].

Galatians
5:16 [This] I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

1 Peter
4:1 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;
4:2 That he no longer should live the rest of [his] time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.

2 Peter
1:10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

1 John
3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? - 02/25/05 03:30 AM

Wow! What a lot of homework. I will copy it and get back to you when I look at it more thoroughly.

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? - 02/25/05 04:51 AM

While we're waiting on Shelley's homework, would anyone else care to answer the questions listed above?

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? - 02/25/05 04:46 PM

Well, here it is. I probably did not answer the questions as you would like. At this point in time, however, it is the best I can do.

quote:
But Shelley, at what point would you be willing to sweat blood, if need be, to resist sinning? Believing that you cannot completely crucify your imperfections has, I would think, the potential of weakening your resolve to resist giving in to temptation. "Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin." Heb 12:4. I am asking these questions because I am interested in learning more about your view.
A. I don’t know at what point I would be willing to sweat blood. I do the best that I can with the knowledge that I have got. God has changed my heart, as a result, I now desire to follow his commandments, to do what is right, and trust that He will continue to mould me into the person that he wants me to be. God does the changing, not me. It is in His hands and I refuse to beat myself up or stress over every little mistake that I make.

1. In light of the Steps to Christ paragraph quoted above, what do you consider an unknown character defect?

A. In light of the EGW statement I consider an unknown character defect as something that has not yet been bought to my conscious mind. When these things are bought to mind, I do not feel as EGW says (loathe myself). As a parent, I discipline my children in love and would hate it if they loathed themselves every time they did something wrong. God is a loving father and I do not believe He wants us to loath ourselves.

2. How do you explain, in light of what you believe about retaining imperfections, the following promises:

Romans
6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with [him], that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

A. God does not take us out of the world or make us robots—we will still feel like sinning, and sometimes we will sin. The difference is that before we were saved we were slaves to our sinful nature, but now we can choose to live for Christ. The good news is through faith in Jesus Christ we stand acquitted.

1 Corinthians
10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God [is] faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear [it].

A. I guess if we are continually plugged into God we will be able to resist all temptations. Having said that, how does a mere human stay permanently plugged into God? Is it possible to be permanently pugged into God?

Galatians
5:16 [This] I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

A. Walking in the Spirit involves the desire to hear, to learn and the readiness to obey God’s Word. Mm, with a mind full of Christ it would be much easier to control our selfish desires. How do we walk in the spirit 24/7. Mike, what happens when we fail?

1 Peter
4:1 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;

4:2 That he no longer should live the rest of [his] time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.

A. Reading these two verses I don’t think they mean that the individual has totally ceased from sin. I think it means because we have chosen to be willing to suffer as Christ, sin has lost its power to defeat us. The will of God becomes more important and sinful pleasures become less important.

2 Peter
1:10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

A. The section surrounding this verse seems to be referring to growing in the knowledge of God. Paul appears to be saying If you belong to the Lord and the work that you do backs up your claim to be chosen by God you will never be led astray by false teachings. It does not appear to be referring to retaining imperfections.

1 John
3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

A. The sins that are mentioned in this section are breaking God’s commandments. Do people sin in other ways? What about unknown sins or sins of ignorance.

Mike, do you believe that true Christians do not or cannot sin?

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? - 02/26/05 07:29 AM

Shelley, thank you for sharing your thoughts. Here's what I posted earlier regarding the same things.
quote:
Will, this promise [1 John 2:1] applies when we commit a known sin, and thank God for this promise, because most of us backslide pretty regularly. But I believe we need to study this text in its immediate context. John isn’t saying you will sin, but rather, if we sin. The word “if” implies a conditional aspect. Ascertaining the condition, therefore, is necessary in order to correctly understand the promise.

What is the promise? If we sin, Jesus acts as our advocate, because He is the propitiation for our sin. This promise assumes, of course, we have repented of our sin, because Jesus cannot apply the benefits of His blood to atone for our sin if we refuse to repent. And this promise only applies to someone who has committed a known sin, which means we have to sin in order to claim it. Sinning, therefore, is the conditional aspect of 1 John 2:1.

But salvation promises more than merely repentance and forgiveness, it promises born again believers freedom from sinning – now and forever. And, once again, these types of promises (i.e., freedom from sinning) imply a conditional aspect, namely, that we are dead to sin and awake to righteousness. To be free from sin we must be dead to sin, self and Satan.

But most importantly, we must be connected to Jesus, we must walk in the Spirit and mind of the new man, we must continually partake of the divine nature. John and Peter make it clear that it is impossible to commit a known sin if we are abiding in Christ, if we are connected to Him, if we are partaking of the divine nature. To commit a known sin, therefore, we must stop abiding in Jesus, and stop partaking of the divine nature.

And, I might add, we are always free to let go of Jesus and commit a known sin. Another question we should ask at this point - What is the difference between committing a known sin intentionally and unintentionally? Are the dynamics, or the mechanics, the same? That is, do both require taking our eyes off Jesus? Or, is it possible to be firmly connected to Christ, partaking of the divine nature, and still commit a known sin?

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? - 02/26/05 07:40 AM

It boils down to knowing, and if you don't know then how could you know.
God Bless,
Will

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? - 02/25/05 09:20 PM

Good point, Will. But the following quote clearly says none of our defects are considered unknown once God reveals them. And, according to this quote, God reveals every defect of character with one ray of glory. This means, then, we cannot commit a sin of ignorance, as it relates to a defective trait of character, because God has revealed them already. That is, since God has revealed our defects we cannot indulge them and not realize it.

SC 29
One ray of the glory of God, one gleam of the purity of Christ, penetrating the soul, makes every spot of defilement painfully distinct, and lays bare the deformity and defects of the human character. It makes apparent the unhallowed desires, the infidelity of the heart, the impurity of the lips. The sinner's acts of disloyalty in making void the law of God, are exposed to his sight, and his spirit is stricken and afflicted under the searching influence of the Spirit of God. He loathes himself as he views the pure, spotless character of Christ. {SC 29.1}

Of course, this doesn't mean we are incapable of unintentionally, or even intentionally, taking our eyes off Jesus and committing a known sin. But we are not free to sin until we are free from sin. Before we are born again we are slaves of sin, we cannot not sin. But after we are born again we are free to sin. However, according to the Bible, in order to commit a known sin we first disconnect from Jesus, which we are always free to do. Once disconnected all we can do is sin.

With the Setps to Christ quote above in mind what counts as an unknown sin, a sin of ignorance? It cannot have anything to do with our defective traits of character, because God has already revealed them to us. So, what is it? I would like to suggest that, in such cases, an unknown sin would have to involve things that are learned intellectually - like diet and the sabbath. A person can be born again, be aware of and overcome their defective traits of character, but not realize that eating unclean animals or working on the sabbath is a sin.

What do the rest of you think?

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? - 02/25/05 09:53 PM

When God reveals them top you then you will definitely know.
God Bless,
Will

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? - 02/25/05 10:15 PM

Reveals what? when? Are you referring to our defective traits of character? or, intellectual things like diet and the sabbath?

One ray of the glory of God is enough to reveal to us every one of our defects. Does this happen gradually or suddenly? Does it happen before or after we are born again? What is the context of this Steps to Christ quote?

SC 29

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? - 02/25/05 10:27 PM

Is it all at once?

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? - 02/25/05 10:32 PM

quote:
One ray of the glory of God, one gleam of the purity of Christ, penetrating the soul, makes every spot of defilement painfully distinct, and lays bare the deformity and defects of the human character.
I don't know? How long does it take to penetrate the soul? Can we experience the miralce of rebirth before it penetrates the soul? Does the context of the quote shed any more light?

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? - 02/25/05 10:41 PM

No mention of if its all at once.
God Bless,
WIll

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? - 02/26/05 02:26 AM

Here’s the paragraph immediately preceding it:

SC 28, 29
We may have flattered ourselves, as did Nicodemus, that our life has been upright, that our moral character is correct, and think that we need not humble the heart before God, like the common sinner: but when the light from Christ shines into our souls, we shall see how impure we are; we shall discern the selfishness of motive, the enmity against God, that has defiled every act of life. Then we shall know that our own righteousness is indeed as filthy rags, and that the blood of Christ alone can cleanse us from the defilement of sin, and renew our hearts in His own likeness. {SC 28.3}

And here’s the same chapter a few paragraphs later:

SC 31
If you see your sinfulness, do not wait to make yourself better. How many there are who think they are not good enough to come to Christ. Do you expect to become better through your own efforts? "Can the Ethiopian change his skin, or the leopard his spots? then may ye also do good, that are accustomed to do evil." Jeremiah 13:23. There is help for us only in God. We must not wait for stronger persuasions, for better opportunities, or for holier tempers. We can do nothing of ourselves. We must come to Christ just as we are. {SC 31.1}

And again, later on:

SC 32, 33
Beware of procrastination. Do not put off the work of forsaking your sins and seeking purity of heart through Jesus. Here is where thousands upon thousands have erred to their eternal loss. I will not here dwell upon the shortness and uncertainty of life; but there is a terrible danger--a danger not sufficiently understood--in delaying to yield to the pleading voice of God's Holy Spirit, in choosing to live in sin; for such this delay really is. Sin, however small it may be esteemed, can be indulged in only at the peril of infinite loss. What we do not overcome, will overcome us and work out our destruction. {SC 32.2}

And then:

SC 34
Christ is ready to set us free from sin, but He does not force the will; and if by persistent transgression the will itself is wholly bent on evil, and we do not desire to be set free, if we will not accept His grace, what more can He do? We have destroyed ourselves by our determined rejection of His love. "Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation." "Today if ye will hear His voice, harden not your hearts." 2 Corinthians 6:2; Hebrews 3:7, 8. {SC 34.2}

This chapter, and these paragraphs in particular, make it very clear that once God reveals to us our defective traits of character we cannot delay our conversion but at the peril of our soul.

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? - 02/26/05 05:59 AM

Good to know that if you willfully continue to sin, think that you are sinless and upright that it can be at the price of your soul. Thank God that we have Jesus who intercedes for us, and the goodness of God to lead us to repentance.
God Bless,
Will

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? - 02/26/05 02:04 PM

Greetings Brother Mike and Brother Will,

Regarding your questions which pertain to:

quote:
Is it all at once?
It is by steps that we walk to Christ, it is also by steps that we are revealed the true nature of His glory. With each passing step we see God more clearly and see our poor character next to the loveliness of Christ's.

In these steps we learn there are two types of hate. One of God and one of Satan. Satan's lesson of hate is cruel. God's hate is one that it does not touch the unclean thing. In order to learn our steps to Christ we must learn through study and prayer while asking for the Holy Spirit so that we learn all truth and not of our own reasoning powers.

Today we may see through dark glasses, but with each step along the path with the Holy Spirit teaching we see with better eyesight. If you recall Christ provides the eyesalve, we dearly need that.

So in each step that we walk with Christ, if we obey our lessons a miracle begins to happen. The miracle is that we have learned to hate some sins, to draw on Christ's power that we will overcome and move forward in our education rather than just accepting we are sinners.

The miracle of rebirth begins as we accept Christ as our Savior. The seeing Christ with increasing eyesight comes in steps. The life of sin becomes a path of the past through steps by learning to hate sin.

As we hate sin, we begin to truly understand Isa. 64:6 and begin to understand our unworthiness before our dear and precious Savior, Christ Jesus. This lesson of unworthiness continues to happen over and over as we draw closer to Christ Jesus because we are seeing Christ more clearly with each passing step.

Brother Mike...you asked 'how long does it take to penetrate the soul?' It takes a moment like the theif on the cross, and yet it may take a life time.

Cheri Fritz

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? - 02/26/05 08:37 PM

quote:
Brother Mike...you asked 'how long does it take to penetrate the soul?' It takes a moment like the theif on the cross, and yet it may take a life time.

Thank you, Sister Cheri. Could we also say that it happens in a moment, and that it lasts a lifetime? Perhaps it's similar to the process of santification? Like a seed, we are perfect at every advanced step toward perfection, until we are ready for the finishing touches of immortality.

Sanctification is lifelong obedience. Therefore, it seems reasonable to conclude, that we begin perfect and then we continue to become perfect throughout eternity. Thus, growth in grace is a process of maturing in the fruit of the Spirit, in the same way Jesus grew and matured.

If Jesus is an example of a born again believer, it makes sense that they begin at rebirth where Jesus began at birth. If this is true, then they are born again in harmony with God and with their crucified defective traits of character under the control of an enlightened mind and conscience. So long as they remain connected to Jesus, so long as they continue partaking of the divine nature, they would be empowered to recognize and resist the unholy thoughts and feelings generated and communicated by their fallen fleah nature.

Sister White makes these very pertinent observations, which I personally regard as inspired insights. From these quotes I gather that if born again believers remain connected to Jesus, though sorely tempted at every advanced step, they will live a life of continual obedience.

DA 676
The life of the vine will be manifest in fragrant fruit on the branches. "He that abideth in Me," said Jesus, "and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without Me ye can do nothing." When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing. {DA 676.4}

COL 330
God will accept only those who are determined to aim high. He places every human agent under obligation to do his best. Moral perfection is required of all. Never should we lower the standard of righteousness in order to accommodate inherited or cultivated tendencies to wrong-doing. We need to understand that imperfection of character is sin. All righteous attributes of character dwell in God as a perfect, harmonious whole, and every one who receives Christ as a personal Saviour is privileged to possess these attributes. {COL 330.2}

AA 560, 561
Sanctification is not the work of a moment, an hour, a day, but of a lifetime. It is not gained by a happy flight of feeling, but is the result of constantly dying to sin, and constantly living for Christ. Wrongs cannot be righted nor reformations wrought in the character by feeble, intermittent efforts. It is only by long, persevering effort, sore discipline, and stern conflict, that we shall overcome. We know not one day how strong will be our conflict the next. So long as Satan reigns, we shall have self to subdue, besetting sins to overcome; so long as life shall last, there will be no stopping place, no point which we can reach and say, I have fully attained. Sanctification is the result of lifelong obedience. {AA 560.3}

DA 668
All true obedience comes from the heart. It was heart work with Christ. And if we consent, He will so identify Himself with our thoughts and aims, so blend our hearts and minds into conformity to His will, that when obeying Him we shall be but carrying out our own impulses. The will, refined and sanctified, will find its highest delight in doing His service. When we know God as it is our privilege to know Him, our life will be a life of continual obedience. Through an appreciation of the character of Christ, through communion with God, sin will become hateful to us. {DA 668.3}

ML 250
"The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul." Through obedience comes sanctification of body, soul, and spirit. This sanctification is a progressive work, and an advance from one stage of perfection to another. {ML 250.4}
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church