Investigative Judgment

Posted By: John Boskovic

Investigative Judgment - 03/27/05 04:15 PM

I have started this thread for the purpose of a clearer understanding of the investigative Judgment and the ministry of Christ in the MHP. On the thread of overcoming sin, I have made the following statements.
quote:

The true investigative judgment, that we need to know all about, has to do with us receiving God’s judgment over ours in genuine faith today. It is only for the living. It is happening right now; and if you are not participating you have no salvation. It is us, in genuine faith, letting God search our hearts and minds, allowing him to teach us in his way. A faith which believes in salvation without the exchange of my righteousness for his does not save. We can only exchange our righteousness for his by receiving his judgment. Genuine faith surrenders our view of things so that it can view all things through his eyes and spirit.

So the investigative judgment is nothing less than us receiving the mind of Christ in every word, thought, and action. It is also nothing more than that. Investigative judgment means nothing less and nothing more than “Not I but Christ” which is genuine faith. It is not God’s magnifier over our conduct. It is God’s salvation of our hearts and minds which bears the peaceable fruit of righteousness. It is a wonderful growing experience of genuine faith. Those who receive it in this way shall never fear any judgment. They have his mind.

While there certainly is more in the framework of this doctrine, I understand the above to be the essence, substance and purpose of it; that if the above is missing the whole doctrine loses its purpose.

Mike has declared: “John's view of the IJ contradicts SDA doctrine.”

I invite all those who have vested interest to present their thoughts here.

Re: Investigative Judgment - 03/27/05 08:08 PM

Tom said:
quote:
It seems to me the investigative judgment, and all judgment, is primarily about God. It is His character that was called into question. The whole purpose of Christ's mission was to reveal the Father, and in so doing set and keep men right with God. This must fit into the question somehow, mustn't it?

I likewise think this is pertinent.
Posted By: Mountain Man

Re: Investigative Judgment - 03/27/05 09:33 PM

I posted the following on another thread:
quote:
I see the judgment as a fearful thing. The COI were not rejoicing while the high priest was officiating within the MHP. Yes, our salvation is assured in Jesus, but it doesn't totally do away with the fearfulness of judgment. If we do not crucify every sin we shall be cast out with weeping and gnashing of teeth. Overcoming sin is a life and death issue.

Leviticus
16:31 It [shall be] a sabbath of rest unto you, and ye shall afflict your souls, by a statute for ever.

Matthew
25:30 And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

1T 242
Angels are watching the development of character and weighing moral worth. All our words and acts are passing in review before God. It is a fearful, solemn time. The hope of eternal life is not to be taken up upon slight grounds; it must be settled between God and your own soul. {1T 242.2}

GC 489
"He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy." Proverbs 28:13. If those who hide and excuse their faults could see how Satan exults over them, how he taunts Christ and holy angels with their course, they would make haste to confess their sins and to put them away. Through defects in the character, Satan works to gain control of the whole mind, and he knows that if these defects are cherished, he will succeed. Therefore he is constantly seeking to deceive the followers of Christ with his fatal sophistry that it is impossible for them to overcome. But Jesus pleads in their behalf His wounded hands, His bruised body; and He declares to all who would follow Him: "My grace is sufficient for thee." 2 Corinthians 12:9. "Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light." Matthew 11:29, 30. Let none, then, regard their defects as incurable. God will give faith and grace to overcome them. {GC 489.2}

GC 489, 490
We are now living in the great day of atonement. In the typical service, while the high priest was making the atonement for Israel, all were required to afflict their souls by repentance of sin and humiliation before the Lord, lest they be cut off from among the people. In like manner, all who would have their names retained in the book of life should now, in the few remaining days of their probation, afflict their souls before God by sorrow for sin and true repentance. {GC 489.3}

quote:
Thomas, I'm not sure I understand what it means to afflict my soul during the day of atonement, but I suspect it includes many things, one of them being fear. I truly believe if my case were to come before God, right now, for investigation I would pass with flying colors. Why? Jesus is my Advocate and Judge. And, because I am doing everything in my power to cooperate with the Holy Spirit to work out my own salvation with fear and trembling. Think of how all the patriarchs and prophets shook with fear in the presence of God. It seems unavoidable.

Philippians
2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
2:13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of [his] good pleasure.

Hebrews
10:31 [It is] a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Revelation
14:7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

Ecclesiastes
12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this [is] the whole [duty] of man.
12:14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether [it be] good, or whether [it be] evil.

http://www.maritime-sda-online.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000266;p=6

Re: Investigative Judgment - 03/27/05 09:34 PM

John posted this on the same thread:
quote:
The dead cannot sin so they needn't overcome any, so likewise they need not worry about having any known defects. The corpses would have a hard time of afflicting their souls, and I do not see why they should unless you believe in purgatory. I also do not know what Christ would be ministering in the MHP about the dead, unless it was some masses or some such. I hope I am not sounding sacrilegious here. In terms of the 144,000, well, they are a special breed which most of us do not qualify since the Sunday laws are not in effect, and that means by the way that none of the living are being judged yet so what is the point of afflicting our souls since God is not paying any attention to us while he is so busy about the dead. And perhaps some will take that to mean that it is alright if they still have some sin; for the time for sinless ness has not arrived. (please do not implicate anything I have said here with EW)

I am sorry Mike; the ministry of Christ in the MHP is for the Living and is the work of Salvation. It is going on right now and it is for you and me. Afflicting your soul will not help very much at all, but receiving his judgment in faith will do wonders.

Re: Investigative Judgment - 03/27/05 09:37 PM

I posted this:
quote:
John, your views on the IJ do not agree with the SDA view.

GC 483
Beginning with those who first lived upon the earth, our Advocate presents the cases of each successive generation, and closes with the living. {GC 483.1}

GC 485
The work of the investigative judgment and the blotting out of sins is to be accomplished before the second advent of the Lord. Since the dead are to be judged out of the things written in the books, it is impossible that the sins of men should be blotted out until after the judgment at which their cases are to be investigated. {GC 485.2}

GC 486
Both the living and the dead are to be judged "out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works." {GC 486.1}

GC 488
The subject of the sanctuary and the investigative judgment should be clearly understood by the people of God. All need a knowledge for themselves of the position and work of their great High Priest. Otherwise it will be impossible for them to exercise the faith which is essential at this time or to occupy the position which God designs them to fill. {GC 488.2}

GC 489, 490
In like manner, all who would have their names retained in the book of life should now, in the few remaining days of their probation, afflict their souls before God by sorrow for sin and true repentance. {GC 489.3}

GC 490
Soon--none know how soon--it will pass to the cases of the living. {GC 490.1}

quote:
John, what you say about the work of God in our lives now is good and true, but it isn't what the IJ is all about. The work you are referring to is not the annual day of atonement, not according to SDA theology. Jesus' work in the MHP involves blotting out the record and memory of sin, or blotting out names from the Book of Life. This began for the righteous dead in 1844, and will include the living when the sunday laws are enforced. It hasn't started for the living yet.

The way the IJ of the dead and the living relates to this thread is we must first overcome all of our defective traits of character, otherwise, our names, instead of our sins, will be blotted out of the Book of Life. Whether our case comes before God for review and investigation after we die or while we are still alive the same thing applies - our defective traits of character must be overcome. In this regard there is no difference between the dead and the living. The 144,000 are no more or no less victorious over their defective traits of character than anyone else who makes it to heaven.

Re: Investigative Judgment - 03/27/05 10:07 PM

I repost this from another thread to complete what Mike reposted above.
quote:
Mike: I see the judgment as a fearful thing. The COI were not rejoicing while the high priest was officiating within the MHP. Yes, our salvation is assured in Jesus, but it doesn't totally do away with the fearfulness of judgment. If we do not crucify every sin we shall be cast out with weeping and gnashing of teeth. Overcoming sin is a life and death issue.
Mike: I see the judgment as a fearful thing.

John: When I first turned to seek the Lord I was afraid; afraid of what he might do to me or ask of me. Sinful nature is sinfully afraid of God. This is how Satan keeps us away from God; through fear of death. But, there was something that said: if he died for me, why would he want to harm me? I “risked” against my fear, and discovered a wonderful Savior. I rejoice daily in his judgments – they are life everlasting.

Mike: The COI were not rejoicing while the high priest was officiating within the MHP.

John: They had no faith.

Mike: Yes, our salvation is assured in Jesus,

John: That sounds abstract and theoretical.

Mike: but it doesn't totally do away with the fearfulness of judgment.

John: The fearfulness cannot be done away with, until you receive the judgment. The fearfulness increases the longer you delay. It is your privilege and salvation to receive it now. He is calling you now. Mat 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Mike: If we do not crucify every sin we shall be cast out with weeping and gnashing of teeth.

John: How will you do it? It is his judgment that does it. That is how sin is crucified and overcome. Sin knows it and that is why it is afraid of the judgment. Take hold by faith of him that died for you. Let him judge you. Do not let him go till he bless you. Sin will be crucified and you will live.

Mike: Overcoming sin is a life and death issue.

John: Indeed it is. If you receive his judgment now, sin will be crucified and overthrown, and you will live in the joy of the Lord. If you do not receive his judgment, sin will continue to live and you shall remain in torment, fear, and death.

2Co 1:3 Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort;
2Co 1:4 Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.

Re: Investigative Judgment - 03/27/05 10:09 PM

I think we can now continue the discussion here

Re: Investigative Judgment - 03/27/05 10:30 PM

quote:
John, what you say about the work of God in our lives now is good and true, but it isn't what the IJ is all about. The work you are referring to is not the annual day of atonement, not according to SDA theology. Jesus' work in the MHP involves blotting out the record and memory of sin, or blotting out names from the Book of Life. This began for the righteous dead in 1844, and will include the living when the sunday laws are enforced. It hasn't started for the living yet.
Mike: Jesus' work in the MHP involves blotting out the record and memory of sin, or blotting out names from the Book of Life.

John: Is this supposed to contradict what I have said?

Since Jesus’ work in the MHP involves the blotting out of the record and memory of sin – isn’t that on the living, and the living only? I am not aware of the dead having any memory. So the only ones whose record and memory of sin can be blotted out would be the living and it can only be while they are living. How is this accomplished? By the ministry of Christ in the MHP who is ministering to us his judgments, which we can receive as I have stated in above posts.

Mike: This began for the righteous dead in 1844, and will include the living when the sunday laws are enforced. It hasn't started for the living yet.

John: You propose that the ministry to the living will not happen until the Sunday laws have been enforced. I say that is an erroneous understanding.

If Christ is not ministering to the living today, even now, then we are orphans, and have no living Saviour. Your consideration of the IJ to the exclusion of his ministry to the living now, makes the whole of the doctrine amiss. It is only in consideration and purpose of his ministry to living, that the other considerations of the IJ have any purpose, value, and meaning.

Re: Investigative Judgment - 03/27/05 11:31 PM

John, your dispute is not with me, it is with the Spirit of Prophecy. The burden to disprove what she wrote above, in my last post containing quotes from the SOP, rests with you. Please, for the record, explain why what she wrote cannot possibly be true. Thank you.

Re: Investigative Judgment - 03/28/05 02:56 AM

I did not declare a dispute. In fact I think she quite readily agrees with me.
Posted By: Tom

Re: Investigative Judgment - 03/28/05 03:55 AM

quote:
The subject of the sanctuary and the investigative judgment should be clearly understood by the people of God. All need a knowledge for themselves of the position and work of their great High Priest. Otherwise it will be impossible for them to exercise the faith which is essential at this time or to occupy the position which God designs them to fill. (GC 488)
This quote indicates to me that there is something profound in what Christ is doing, since without understanding what He is doing it will be impossible to exercise the faith necessary to overcome in the end days.

Mike, what is it you see in your understanding that we need to understand in order to exercise the faith necessary to overcome?

Re: Investigative Judgment - 03/28/05 06:53 AM

John, please quote where the SOP agrees with your ideas regarding the IJ of the dead and the living.

Tom, I believe knowing about the sanctuary message makes it possible for people to exercise faith, especially if they are among those who are alive when their case comes before God, because knowing what is happening to them while their sins are being scrutinized enables them to trust Jesus with the outcome. The IJ of the living will be a very powerful experience, taxing their faith and endurance to the max.

Re: Investigative Judgment - 03/28/05 07:37 AM

How does knowing one's sins are being scrutinized help one to have faith in Jesus? Why is this knowledge essential to the faith necessary in the end?

It seems to me that the necessary faith would more likely have something to do with God's character, rather than with our sin's being scrutinized. Does that make sense to you?

Re: Investigative Judgment - 03/28/05 08:24 AM

Tom, Sister White describes the experience of the living during the IJ judgment of the living in 5T 472-476. Read it and then share your thoughts. It starts off like this:

"Zechariah's vision of Joshua and the Angel applies with peculiar force to the experience of God's people in the closing up of the great day of atonement."
Posted By: Rosangela

Re: Investigative Judgment - 03/28/05 04:14 PM

quote:
Since Jesus’ work in the MHP involves the blotting out of the record and memory of sin – isn’t that on the living, and the living only? I am not aware of the dead having any memory. So the only ones whose record and memory of sin can be blotted out would be the living and it can only be while they are living.
John,

We know the wicked dead will be judged after the millennium. What about the righteous dead? Will they be judged? If so, when?

Re: Investigative Judgment - 03/29/05 07:11 AM

John, in the SOP quotes posted above Sister White plainly says the IJ judgment of the dead didn't begin until 1844. Obviously, therefore, it didn't happen while they were alive. She also makes it clear that the purpose of the IJ is to examine the thoughts, words, motives, and deeds of those who have ever professed faith in God, and this is done to demonstrate to all those concerned (i.e., citizens of God's unfallen universe) whether or not they are worthy of eternal life. Given the purpose of the IJ it cannot possibly happen before they die, or in the case of the final generation it cannot happen before they demonstrate their loyalty during the MOB crisis.
Posted By: Charlene Van Hook

Re: Investigative Judgment - 03/29/05 05:52 AM

The bible tells us when the "blotting out" of sins takes place.... During the Times of refreshing....Latter rain.

The Great Controversy---The Final Warning
-PG- 611

The great work of the gospel is not to close with less manifestation of the power of God than marked its opening. The prophecies which were fulfilled in the outpouring of the
former rain at the opening of the gospel are again to be fulfilled in the latter rain at its close. Here are "the times of refreshing" to which the apostle Peter looked forward when he
said: "Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; and He shall send Jesus."

Acts 3:19, 20.

The Great Controversy--- Facing Life's Record
-PG- 485

The work of the investigative judgment and the blotting out of sins is to be accomplished before the second advent of the Lord. Since the dead are to be judged out of the things written in the books, it is impossible that the sins of men should be blotted out until after the judgment at which their cases are to be investigated. But the apostle Peter distinctly
states that the sins of believers will be blotted out "when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; and He shall send Jesus Christ." Acts 3:19, 20. When the investigative judgment closes, Christ will come, and His reward will be with Him to give to every man as his work shall be."

Note:
The sins are not blotted out until the ij is completed and the sanctuary cleansed by putting the confesed sins of the saints on Satan/scape goat that is bound for the thousand years.

- The Great Controversy [1888 edition]--Desolation of the Earth -PG- 657

"Now the event takes place, foreshadowed in the last solemn service of the day of atonement. When the ministration in the holy of holies had been completed, and the sins of Israel had been removed from the sanctuary by virtue of the blood of the sin-offering, then the scape-goat was presented alive before the Lord; and in presence of the congregation of high priest confessed over him "all the iniquities of the children of Israel, and all their transgressions in all their sins, putting them upon the head of the goat."[1 LEV. 16:21.] In like manner, when the work of atonement in the heavenly sanctuary has been completed, then in the presence of God and heavenly angels, and the host of the redeemed, the sins of God's people will be placed upon Satan; he will be declared guilty of all the evil which he has caused them to commit. And as the scape-goat was sent away into a land not inhabited, so Satan will be banished to the desolate earth, an uninhabited and dreary
wilderness."

I didn't read the entire thread so i hope this is not a repeat of what has already been posted.
Posted By: vastergotland

Re: Investigative Judgment - 03/29/05 01:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Lowe:
Tom, I believe knowing about the sanctuary message makes it possible for people to exercise faith, especially if they are among those who are alive when their case comes before God, because knowing what is happening to them while their sins are being scrutinized enables them to trust Jesus with the outcome. The IJ of the living will be a very powerful experience, taxing their faith and endurance to the max.

It seems to me that this is exactly what John i saying with the important difference of when it will/has begun.

Charlene

You wrote
"The bible tells us when the "blotting out" of sins takes place.... During the Times of refreshing....Latter rain."
Yet you quoted no bible. And the verses quoted in the EW writings doesnt make sence for this topic as they are used here. Maybe the rest of the chapter would explain it but as it is now it doesnt. And reading a newer translation makes even less sence from the point you are trying to make. Here quoted from NKJV

18But those things which God foretold by the mouth of all His prophets, that the Christ would suffer, He has thus fulfilled. 19Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord, 20and that He may send Jesus Christ, who was preached to you before,
21whom heaven must receive until the times of restoration of all things, which God has spoken by the mouth of all His holy prophets since the world began.

/Thomas
Posted By: Cheri Fritz

Re: Investigative Judgment - 03/29/05 05:46 PM

Greetings,

The investigative judgment:

Christ is examining the hearts of mankind according to our knowledge reveiled to us by the power of the Holy Spirit.

This began in 1844. The dead in Christ Jesus were judged first and then the living began.

The blotting out of sins is also referred to as the sealing of God's people.

At the time appointed for the Judgment--the close of the 2300 days, in 1844--began the work of investigation and blotting out of sins. All who have ever taken upon themselves the name of Christ must pass its searching scrutiny. Both the living and the dead are to be judged "out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works."
The Great Controversy 486.1.(1888)

At the time appointed for the judgment--the close of the 2300 days, in 1844--began the work of investigation and blotting out of sins. All who have ever taken upon themselves the name of Christ must pass its searching scrutiny. Both the living and the dead are to be judged "out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works." Great Controversy, 486.1.(1911)

Biblically, how do I know that Mrs. White is honest here?

Revelation
14:12 "Here is the patience of the saints: here [are] they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus."
14:13 "And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed [are] the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them."

I would like you to visit this link and read this letter from WC White.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sdareformmovement/message/154

And Brother Mike, the understanding of afflicting our souls:

Men of courage are wanted now; men who will venture something for the truth's sake; men who will be sober, but not gloomy and desponding; men who will watch unto prayer, and whose prayers will be mingled with living, active faith. We may be cheerful and even joyful. Even under temptation, our language may be that of faith and hope and courage. But no lightness, no trifling, should be indulged in; no low witticism should escape our lips, for these things give Satan great advantage. And we are living in the solemn hour of the Judgment, when we should afflict our souls, confess our errors, repent of our sins, and pray for one another that we may be healed. Gospel Worker {GW92 436.2} Gospel Workers, 436.2.

The tenth day of the seventh month was the day of atonement. (Lev. 23:27) It was regarded as more sacred than any other day in the yearly round of service. It was a ceremonial sabbath and a fast day. (Lev. 23:30) The Israelite who did not afflict his soul upon that day was cut off from among the people. (Lev. 23:28-30) So sacred is the day regarded, even at the present time, that although the Jews have rejected Christ and few have any regard for the Sabbath, yet when the tenth day of the seventh month comes, no Jew will do any business or work upon that day! The Cross and Its Shadow, page 209.1.

Thank you,
Your Sister in Christ Jesus,
Cheri Fritz

Re: Investigative Judgment - 03/29/05 06:05 PM

quote:
It seems to me that this is exactly what John is saying with the important difference of when it will/has begun.
Thomas, is it safe to assume you haven't done a word search in the SOP on the investigative judgment? But, no, John is not saying the same thing at all. Please read 5T 472-476 and you will see the difference.

Re: Investigative Judgment - 03/29/05 06:10 PM

quote:
This began in 1844. The dead in Christ Jesus were judged first and then the living began. The blotting out of sins is also referred to as the sealing of God's people.
Cheri, a closer look at this doctrine makes it clear that the IJ of the living hasn't begun yet. And, the blotting out of the record and memory of specific sins and the latter rain and the sealing are all separate aspects of end time events. They are not one and the same thing. This distinction is quite important.
Posted By: Charlene Van Hook

Re: Investigative Judgment - 03/30/05 07:01 AM

Thomas,

I see the quotes that I used are directly to the point. Maybe because Israel of old was mentioned, you do not think it applies now....We are the modern israel by adoption. Spiritual Israel the saints are called and the typical cleansing of the santuary [blotting out of sins] meets antitypical when the heavenly sanctuary is also cleansed. This cannot take place until the end of the investigative Judgement and the close of probation just before Jesus comes.

Rev 22:11 He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.
Rev 22:12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

Also--- I read "the times of refreshing" are the same as "the Latter rain"...according to the Biblw and the SOP. When I use the SOP that is full of Bible texts...I feel I have served both references.

God Bless

Re: Investigative Judgment - 03/29/05 08:07 PM

Greetings Brother Mike,

I see that I have lacked putting in one word on my sentence, perhaps this will help.

I said:
quote:

The blotting out of sins is also referred to as the sealing of God's people.

I should have said:

The blotting out of sins is also refered to as the sealing message of God's people.

Sorry for the error.

Tell me, what have you all thought about Brother WC White's letter?

Thank you,
Sister Cheri

Re: Investigative Judgment - 03/29/05 11:51 PM

SR 378
As the sins of the people were anciently transferred, in figure, to the earthly sanctuary by the blood of the sin offering, so our sins are, in fact, transferred to the heavenly sanctuary by the blood of Christ. And as the typical cleansing of the earthly was accomplished by the removal of the sins by which it had been polluted, so the actual cleansing of the heavenly is to be accomplished by the removal, or blotting out, of the sins which are there recorded. This necessitates an examination of the books of record to determine who, through repentance of sin and faith in Christ, are entitled to the benefits of His atonement. The cleansing of the sanctuary therefore involves a work of investigative judgment. This work must be performed prior to the coming of Christ to redeem His people, for when He comes, His reward is with Him to give to every man according to his works. (Rev. 22:12.) {SR 378.2}

According the Life Sketches, chapter 16 (XVI), pages 116-119 the "sealing message" embraces all three of the 3AMs, not just the first angels message regarding the blotting out of sins during the IJ. The sealing that happens when the angel seals saints with the writers inkhorn takes place during the MOB crisis, and happens after their record and memory of specific sins are blotted out. The latter rain and loud cry is the result of these numbered and sealed saints boldly proclaiming the 3AMs during the little time of trouble before probation closes. As their numbers swell the message swells to a loud cry.

Re: Investigative Judgment - 03/30/05 02:23 AM

Zec 3:1 And he shewed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him.
Zec 3:2 And the LORD said unto Satan, The LORD rebuke thee, O Satan; even the LORD that hath chosen Jerusalem rebuke thee: is not this a brand plucked out of the fire?
Zec 3:3 Now Joshua was clothed with filthy garments, and stood before the angel.
Zec 3:4 And he answered and spake unto those that stood before him, saying, Take away the filthy garments from him. And unto him he said, Behold, I have caused thine iniquity to pass from thee, and I will clothe thee with change of raiment.
Zec 3:5 And I said, Let them set a fair mitre upon his head. So they set a fair mitre upon his head, and clothed him with garments. And the angel of the LORD stood by.
Zec 3:6 And the angel of the LORD protested unto Joshua, saying,
Zec 3:7 Thus saith the LORD of hosts; If thou wilt walk in my ways, and if thou wilt keep my charge, then thou shalt also judge my house, and shalt also keep my courts, and I will give thee places to walk among these that stand by.

This portrays beautifully the issues at stake.

Joshua had a righteousness which was filthy (sinful). This righteousness was in his mind and heart. It was not just history. He was still wearing that filthy garment. The Lord is there about the business of Salvation, Satan is there to resist the Lord.

The change of Garment represents the Lord imparting to us his righteousness and taking away ours. This is not just a wiping out of history. This is an exchange of heart and mind. This is the Lord imparting to Joshua his judgments and thoughts and spirit. Joshua gives up his garment and receives Christ’s. Garment represents righteousness; not in the form of history; but rather in the form of what we live and judge by.

How does Satan resist the Lord, in the process of exchange of our garment - even our righteousness? Chiefly through our heart and mind; by accusations, by misrepresentations of God’s character; by misrepresentations of God’s justice; by misrepresentations of what God is going to do to us; by discouraging us in thinking we are too sinful-God will not receive us; by temptations and doubt; but mostly by trying to scare us from trusting our savior enough to let him take away our filthy garment and give us his glorious one.

This is being done to the living and the living only. It is happening now and it is happening all around you.

Shalom

Re: Investigative Judgment - 03/30/05 02:26 AM

Have we successfully taken information that was supposed to rouse the living to cease from self and let God into their life, to a point where the doctrine has ensured that Christ is doing nothing for the living now?

Is Christ ministering anything to the living today, while he is in the MHP?

Re: Investigative Judgment - 03/30/05 03:15 AM

John B., once again your ideas and insights contradict the SOP. Please read 5T 472-476 and you will readily see what I mean. What she wrote about Joshua and the Angel is very much different than what you posted here.

For example, it is too late to exhange our filthy rags for Christ's robe of righteousness when our name comes up during the investigative judgment. If we haven't already made the exchange before then we are eernally lost. Jesus will blot out our names, rather than our sins.

Your thoughts regarding the exchange are valid IF we apply them to the proper time and event. The IJ is not the time to make the exchange. The IJ is the time when Jesus determines whether or not the exchange was made. Our thoughts, words, motives, and behaviour - our character - is the evidence that stands for or against us in judgment. We are judged according to our words and works. By their fruits ye shall them.

Ecclesiastes
12:14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether [it be] good, or whether [it be] evil.

Romans
14:10 For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.
14:11 For it is written, [As] I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
14:12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

2 Corinthians
5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things [done] in [his] body, according to that he hath done, whether [it be] good or bad.

Revelation
20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is [the book] of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

Re: Investigative Judgment - 03/30/05 03:39 AM

quote:
John B., once again your ideas and insights contradict the SOP.
Mike, please just present your ideas without the pontifications. If you disagree with something, fine, but please use some tact. For example, "John B, the thoughts you are presenting do not appear to me to be in harmony with the Spirit of Prophesy presents."

Re: Investigative Judgment - 03/30/05 04:10 AM

Okay.

Re: Investigative Judgment - 03/30/05 06:37 AM

quote:
For example, it is too late to exchange our filthy rags for Christ's robe of righteousness when our name comes up during the investigative judgment. If we haven't already made the exchange before then we are eternally lost. Jesus will blot out our names, rather than our sins.

Your thoughts regarding the exchange are valid IF we apply them to the proper time and event. The IJ is not the time to make the exchange. The IJ is the time when Jesus determines whether or not the exchange was made. Our thoughts, words, motives, and behaviour - our character - is the evidence that stands for or against us in judgment. We are judged according to our words and works. By their fruits ye shall them.

Precisely my point Mike, You see the IJ is going on. You and I are living and have come into existence while it is going on. When will you exchange your garment, if not now? When will you let Christ impart to you his judgments and his righteousness, if not now? For if you wait till your name comes up, it is too late! There is a wonderful work of Salvation that Christ is ministering from the MHP.

Re: Investigative Judgment - 03/30/05 08:17 AM

John, please admit that your view contradicts the SOP, or please provide the proof that it doesn't. She says the IJ began with the dead in 1844. You disagree. She says the IJ of the living will not begin until after the MOB crisis begins. You disagree.
Posted By: Ronnie Whalon

Re: Investigative Judgment - 03/31/05 07:05 AM

J.N. Andrews
JNA JUDGEMENT CHAPTER 1 THE INVESTIGATIVE JUDGMENT page 0012 paragraph 1 2. When the sins of the righteous are blotted out they can be no more remembered. They are blotted out before Christ comes. There can be, therefore, no act of calling them to account for their sins after the advent of Christ. Thus we read:-

JNA JUDGEMENT CHAPTER 1 THE INVESTIGATIVE JUDGMENT page 0012 paragraph 2 "Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; and he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you." Acts 3:19,20.

JNA JUDGEMENT CHAPTER 1 THE INVESTIGATIVE JUDGMENT page 0012 paragraph 3 Mr. Wesley, in his "Notes on the New Testament," gives a different translation, which may be more accurate:-

JNA JUDGEMENT CHAPTER 1 THE INVESTIGATIVE JUDGMENT page 0012 paragraph 4 "Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, that the times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord, and he may send to you Jesus Christ, who was before appointed."

CHAPTER 1 THE INVESTIGATIVE JUDGMENT page 0012 paragraph 5 Albert Barnes, in his "Notes on the Acts," speaking of these two translations, says, "The grammatical construction will admit of either." One of these represents the blotting out to be when the times of refreshing arrive; the other makes it the cause of that refreshing. But neither of them gives the idea that this blotting out takes place when the sinner turns to God. Both of them throw it into the future. Each of them represents it as preceding the second coming of the Lord. But this is especially true of the latter translation, which follows the original in using a conditional verb respecting Christ's advent; not as though that were a doubtful event, but rather as if his coming to the personal salvation of the ones addressed depended upon their having part in the refreshing, and as if that refreshing was to come in consequence of the blotting out of sins.

THE PROMISED REFRESHING

J. N. LOUGHBOROUGH

JNL HV THE PROMISED REFRESHING page 0073 paragraph 1 "REPENT ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; and he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began." Acts 3:19-21.

JNL HV THE PROMISED REFRESHING page 0073 paragraph 2 Here is brought to view a time of refreshing. This is spoken of in close connection with Christ's second coming. This undoubtedly refers to the same time as that mentioned by the apostle James: "Be patient therefore, brethren, unto the coming of the Lord. Behold, the husbandman waiteth for the precious fruit of the earth, and hath long patience for it, until he receive the early and latter rain. Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh." James 5:7,8.

JNL HV THE PROMISED REFRESHING page 0073 paragraph 3 The early and latter rain is also mentioned by the prophet Joel in connection with the description of the last days. The coming of the "former rain moderately" is called in the margin of the text, "A teacher of righteousness, according to righteousness." Joel 2:23. The outpouring of the Spirit of God on the day of Pentecost - the coming of the Comforter as a teacher - was comparable to the "former rain," which caused the newly sown seed of the husbandman to take root and grow. So in the ripening of the harvest of the earth, just before the end, the husbandman - our Heavenly father (John 15:1) - is waiting for the "latter rain," the "refreshing," to aid in ripening the harvest of the earth. The Lord says by his prophet, "Ask ye of the Lord rain in the time of the latter rain; so the Lord shall make bright clouds, and give them showers of rain, to every one grass in the field." Zech.10:1. And thus will be fulfilled his promise: "Then shall we know, if we follow on to know the Lord; his going forth is prepared as the morning, and he shall come unto us as the rain, and the latter and former rain unto the earth." Hosea 6:3.

The Book of Life - Object of thrilling interest! Vast and ponderous volume, in which are enrolled the names of all the candidates for everlasting life! And is there danger, after our names have once been entered in that heavenly journal, that they may be blotted out? - Yes; or this warning would never have been penned. Paul, even, feared that he himself might become a castaway. 1Cor.9:27. It is only by being overcomers at last that our names can be retained in that book. But all will not overcome. Their names, of course, will be blotted out. And reference is made to some definite point of time in the future for this work. "I will not," says Christ (in the future), blot out the names of the overcomers, which is also saying, by implication, that at the same time he will blot out the names of those who do not overcome. Is not this the same time mentioned by Peter in Acts3:19? "Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord." To say to the overcomer that his name shall not be blotted out of the book of life, is to say also that his sins shall be blotted out of the book wherein they are recorded, to be remembered against him no more forever. Heb.8:12. And this is to be when the times of refreshing come from the presence of the Lord; may we not also add, in that other language of Peter, When the day star shall arise in our hearts, or the morning star be given to the church, just previous to the advent of the Lord to usher in the glorious day? 2Pet.1:19; Rev.2:28. And when that hour of decision shall come, which can not now be a great way in the future, how, reader, will it be with you? Will your sins be blotted out, and your name be retained in the book of life? or will your name be blotted out of the book of life, and your sins be left to bear their fearful record against you? Uriah Smith, Daniel and the Revelation, page 394.

Accordingly, today, just now, "while it is called today," as never before, the word of God to all people is "Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come ["that there may come seasons of refreshing," R.V.] from the presence of the Lord; and He shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: whom the heaven must receive until the time of restitution of all things." Acts 3:19-21…This blotting out of sins must precede the receiving the refreshing of the latter rain. For it is only upon those who have the blessing of Abraham that the promise of the Spirit comes, and it is only those who are redeemed from sin upon whom the blessing of Abraham comes. Gal. 3:13, 14. Therefore now as never before we are to repent and be converted that our sins may be blotted out, that an utter end shall be made of them forever in our lives and everlasting righteousness brought in. And this, in order that the fulness of the outpouring of the Holy Spirit shall be ours in this time of the refreshing of the latter rain. And all this must be done in order that the harvest-ripening message of the gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world with that power from on high by which the earth shall be lightened with its glory. Acts 3:19-21. A.T. Jones, The Consecrated Way. Page 124.

All readings above are taken from the Words of the Pioneers CD

The thoughts above are in harmony with the S.O.P.-
The work of the investigative Judgment and the blotting out of sins is to be accomplished before the second advent of the Lord. Since the dead are to be judged out of the things written in the books, it is impossible that the sins of men should be blotted out until after the Judgment at which their cases are to be investigated. But the apostle Peter distinctly states that the sins of believers will be blotted out, "when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; and he shall send Jesus Christ." [ACTS. 3:19, 20.] When the investigative Judgment closes, Christ will come, and his reward is with him to give to every man as his work shall be. {GC88 485.2} EGW

The prophecies which were fulfilled in the outpouring of the former rain at the opening of the gospel, are again to be fulfilled in the latter rain at its close. Here are "the times of refreshing" to which the apostle Peter looked forward when he said, "Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out [in the investigative Judgment], when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; and he shall send Jesus." [ACTS 3:19, 20.] {GC88 611.1} EGW

If the blotting out of sins is equated with the latter rain then it stands to reason that some living were judged to see if they were worthy of the latter rain and since judgment begins with those who have more light then this is undoubtly SDAs who are judge first in the judgment of the living because we are the only one who preach such messages.

Re: Investigative Judgment - 03/31/05 12:07 AM

quote:
The early and latter rain is also mentioned by the prophet Joel in connection with the description of the last days. The coming of the "former rain moderately" is called in the margin of the text, "A teacher of righteousness, according to righteousness." Joel 2:23. The outpouring of the Spirit of God on the day of Pentecost - the coming of the Comforter as a teacher - was comparable to the "former rain," which caused the newly sown seed of the husbandman to take root and grow.
I had a (perhaps slightly off topic, but maybe not) comment on the translation of Joel 2:23. In the 1890's the message of Jones and Waggoner was widely recognized as a fulfillment of Joel 2:23, because of the statement from the Spirit of Prophesy in 1892 recognizing their message as the beginning of the latter rain. Jones preached about this at length in one of the General Conference sessions -- I'm pretty sure it was 1895.
Posted By: Charity

Re: Investigative Judgment - 03/31/05 04:21 PM

Mike, John's portrayal of the IJ as being a reality today for the living is in harmony with Sister White's writings. On the other hand, your position that the IJ is a future event when the Sunday laws are passed, while it is true that this will draw wide public attention to the issue and test the hearts and minds of many of the 'gentiles', your interpretation is tantamount to a 'peace and safety' message. The scripture says 'now is the acceptable time, now is the day of salvation.'

Re: Investigative Judgment - 03/31/05 04:26 PM

The main issue I have with John, Tom and Thomas' views are their pushing the law and its convicting role in the judgment into the background. We not only need to see Christ as our intercessor and the source of our new garment, we need to also see our great need of that clothing. The law shows us our need, our sinfulness.

Re: Investigative Judgment - 03/31/05 05:01 PM

Greetings,

quote:
"Let us strive with all the power that God has given us to be among the hundred and forty-four thousand." (Review and Herald, March 9, 1905) Vol. 7, Bible Commentary, p. 970:9.
quote:
"Those who die after having become identified with the third angel’s message, are evidently numbered as a part of the 144,000; for this message is the same as the sealing message of Revelation 7, and by that message only 144,000 were sealed. But there are many who have had their entire religious experience under this message, but have fallen in death. They die in the Lord, and hence are counted as sealed; for they will be saved. But the message results in the sealing of only 144,000; therefore these must be included in that number. Being raised in the special resurrection (Daniel 12:2; Revelation 1:7) which occurs when the voice of God is uttered from the temple, at the beginning of the seventh and last plague (Revelation 16:17; Joel 3:16; Hebrews 12:26), they pass through the period of that plague, and hence may be said to come ‘out of great tribulation’ (Revelation 7:14), and being raised from the grave only to mortal life, they take their stand with believers who have not died, and with them receive immortality at the last trump (1 Corinthians 15:52), being then, with the others, changed in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye. Thus, though they have passed through the grave, it can be said of them at last, that they are ‘redeemed from among men’ (Revelation 14:4), that is, from among the living; for the coming of Christ finds them among the living, waiting for the change to immortality, like those who have not died, and as if they themselves had never died." Daniel and Revelation, p. 634 Berean Library Edition.
quote:
J. White: "Those who die under the third angel’s message are a part of the 144,000; there are not 144,000 in addition to these, but these help make up that number. They are raised to mortal life shortly before Christ comes, and . . . are changed to immortality when Christ appears." Review and Herald, September 23, 1880. [SDA Bible Commentary Encyclopedia (1976 edition) page 1030.]

quote:
"From this we may recognize that, at the coming of the Lord, all of the 144,000, as living saints, will be composed of those who have never seen death and those who have died during the preaching of the last message but have resurrected before the appearing of the Lord." Sabbath School Lesson, August 1,1908.

Sister Cheri

Re: Investigative Judgment - 03/31/05 11:24 PM

Mark, Jesus entered the MHP in 1844 to begin the IJ on behalf of the dead. He did not include the living at that time. In fact, as late as 1911 Sister White affirmed, "The judgment is now passing in the sanctuary above. For many years this work has been in progress. Soon--none know how soon--it will pass to the cases of the living." GC 490.

When did the IJ of the living pass to the cases of the living?

Re: Investigative Judgment - 03/31/05 11:28 PM

Cheri, you might want to consider starting a new thread on the 144,000. Or, better yet, resurrect one of the many threads on that topic. It has been discussed repeatedly, though, so you might not get any hits on it? Try and see. I would to study it again.
Posted By: vastergotland

Re: Investigative Judgment - 03/31/05 11:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Shipowick:
The main issue I have with John, Tom and Thomas' views are their pushing the law and its convicting role in the judgment into the background. We not only need to see Christ as our intercessor and the source of our new garment, we need to also see our great need of that clothing. The law shows us our need, our sinfulness.

Mark,

Why is this a problem? You state here that the purpose of the law is to point to the need of salvation, the need of Christs righteousness. The law shows our need, we accept our need and accept Gods judgement, Christ stands by our side and according to our complete trust in Him gives us a "pardon" sentence. Where exactly is the disagreement?

/Thomas

Re: Investigative Judgment - 04/01/05 12:39 AM

quote:
The main issue I have with John, Tom and Thomas' views are their pushing the law and its convicting role in the judgment into the background.
You must be talking about my views in general, right? Because on this thread I've said next to nothing. I don't see how you could know what my view is on the IJ, because I haven't said anything. I've just been reading what others have said about it, and made the comment that I thought God's character needs to fit in somewhere.

Re: Investigative Judgment - 04/01/05 03:36 AM

I hope I'm not overstating my concern about the diminished role of the law in your perspectives. We agree then that the law is central to the IJ?

Regarding your quote by EGW, Mike, there are other quotes that put the above quote in context. Ellen White did not mean by that quote to say that none of the cases of the living had been opened before 1911.

Re: Investigative Judgment - 04/01/05 04:32 AM

Regarding a case in the OT of someone being placed before the bar of God, see the fascinating story of the demise of King Ahab. Here is part of the story when the prophet tells the King what he had just seen in a vision:

quote:
18:18 Again he said, Therefore hear the word of the LORD; I saw the LORD sitting upon his throne, and all the host of heaven standing on his right hand and [on] his left.
18:19 And the LORD said, Who shall entice Ahab king of Israel, that he may go up and fall at Ramothgilead? And one spake saying after this manner, and another saying after that manner.
18:20 Then there came out a spirit, and stood before the LORD, and said, I will entice him. And the LORD said unto him, Wherewith?
18:21 And he said, I will go out, and be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And [the LORD] said, Thou shalt entice [him], and thou shalt also prevail: go out, and do [even] so.
18:22 Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil against thee. 2 Chor

Re: Investigative Judgment - 04/01/05 05:13 AM

Mark, I think there's different perspectives through which one can look at things. Some things strike me as "wrong," but in general I'm hesitant to want to judge or label others. I've seen valid points by John and Mike both, but it seems to me that they are to a large extent speaking past one another.

Regarding the role of the law in the IJ, I think that's one way of looking at it. However, if we consider that the law is simply a transcript of God's character, I don't know that it's necessary to see it in terms of the law. I think it's certainly useful to understand the issues in terms of the law, because that's the way that many people think of it, so if you want to be able to communicate with people who think that way, you have to be able to speak in terms of the law.

Re: Investigative Judgment - 04/01/05 05:26 AM

The Ahab story is one of the clearest examples of the principle that God is often presented in Scripture as doing that which He permits.

Re: Investigative Judgment - 04/01/05 05:50 AM

Am I the only one on this forum that believes the IJ hadn't begun for the living as of 1911? If so, then when did it begin for the living? For that matter, when did it begin for the dead? Or, am I the only one who believes it didn't begin until 1844?
Posted By: myarsman

Re: Investigative Judgment - 04/02/05 04:09 AM

I have read through this thread concerning the IJ which has raised some questions in my mind......

Since the traditional SDA understanding of the IJ is based primarily upon the fulfillment of the Jewish sanctuary services, particularly the Day of Atonement service, I was wondering if someone could provide some answers to these questions....

1. What portion of the DOA demonstrated a distinction between the "judgment of the living and the dead"?

2. For that matter, is the term "judgment" even used in the Biblical descrition of the DOA?

3. What portion of the DOA demonstrates a "review" of the records of all sinners, repentant and non-repentent?

I would appreciate an "Biblical" references that can provide answers to these questions.

Re: Investigative Judgment - 04/02/05 09:29 AM

Regarding judgment being involved, Daniel 7 comes to mind. Books being examined suggest the possibility of names being considered, since the books are often referred to as having names written in them.

These are just a couple of quick thoughts.

Re: Investigative Judgment - 04/02/05 04:45 PM

Greetings Brother Bob D,

Your Question:

quote:
"1. What portion of the DOA demonstrated a distinction between the "judgment of the living and the dead"?"

Great question!

Lets return to the earthly sanctuary example:

During the whole year, the sins of people were typically forgiven through the priestly ministration in the holy place. But the day of atonement is the cleansing of all sin; it was the ceremony of blotting out sins. God showed through this example that although sins were forgiven throughout the year, that on the great Day of Atonement their sins could be blotted out.

"Also on the tenth day of this seventh month there shall be a day of atonement." Leviticus 23:27.

"Then shall he kill the goat of the sin offering, that is for the people, and bring his blood within the vail, and do with that blood as he did with the blood of the bullock, and sprinkle it upon the mercy seat, and before the mercy seat: And he shall make an atonement for the holy place, because of the uncleanness of the children of Israel, and because of their transgressions in all their sins: and so shall he do for the tabernacle of the congregation, that remaineth among them in the midst of their uncleanness." Leviticus 16:15, 16.

My answer:

"All are now deciding their eternal destiny. Men need to be aroused to realize the solemnity of the time, the nearness of the day when human probation shall be ended. Decided efforts should be made to bring the message for this time prominently before the people. The third angel is to go forth with great power. Let none ignore this work or treat it as of little importance." Vol. 6 Testimonies for the Church p 16:4.

Your question:
quote:
"2. For that matter, is the term "judgment" even used in the Biblical descrition of the DOA?"

" For the time [is come] that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if [it] first [begin] at us, what shall the end [be] of them that obey not the gospel of God?1 Peter 4:17.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this [is] the whole [duty] of man. For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether [it be] good, or whether [it be] evil." Ecclesiastes 12:13, 14.

Your question:

quote:
"3. What portion of the DOA demonstrates a "review" of the records of all sinners, repentant and non-repentent?"

"So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God."Romans 14:12.

The judgment of the wicked dead come after the 1,000 years.

"And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is [the book] of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works." Revelation 2-:12,13.

quote:

At the time appointed for the Judgment--the close of the 2300 days, in 1844--began the work of investigation and blotting out of sins. All who have ever taken upon themselves the name of Christ must pass its searching scrutiny. Both the living and the dead are to be judged "out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works."
The Great Controversy 486.1.(1888)

The severity of our time is so important.

The issue of 144,000 thousand it to help us realize the solemn times in which we are living. "But as the days of Noe [were], so shall also the coming of the Son of man be." Matthew 24:37.

Revelation 14:13 teaches that any who fall to sleep shall have their reward. I believe this and do not doubt there is a special resurrection that Daniel spoke about.

"And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake,some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt." Dan. 12:2.

I suggest for those that are not well aquainted with this, to read Early Writings, 1881, Spiritual Gifts, Vol. 1, pages 285.1-287.2. You will note there are two types resurrections when Christ returns. One is before the Lord announces the day and hour, and this special resurrection is speaking of Dan.12:2. The second resurrection is later when the sleeping saints are called forth.

quote:
"There was a mighty earthquake. The graves were opened, and those who had died in faith under the third angel's message,keeping the Sabbath, came forth from their dusty beds, glorified, to hear the covenant of peace that God was to make with those who had kept His law." {EW 285.1}
We are living in the most solemn ocassion. We have a blessing though, we may learn to solely rely on the Heavenly Father as Christ Jesus directs, be taught by the Spirit and receive the righteousness of Christ.

Cheri Fritz

Re: Investigative Judgment - 04/02/05 06:54 PM

CHAPTER XXIII.

"THE HOUR OF HIS JUDGMENT IS COME." The Great Nations of Today, p.243 – 251 by A.T. Jones

Its kind of long but I could not gainsay what he presented concerning the judgment of the living.

ALL that is proposed to be accomplished by this great threefold message is in view of the fact that "the hour" of God's "judgment is come." Therefore the one great object of the Third Angel's Message is to prepare the world for the judgment: to prepare to stand in the judgment all who receive the message; and to ripen the world for the judgment in all who, by refusing the message which will prepare them to stand in the judgment, subject themselves to the judgment itself in all its terror.

The word of this Message itself is that "the hour of His judgment is come," not that it will come, but that it "IS come." To everyone, therefore, who receives this message, the judgment of God becomes an ever-present reality. All these stand always before the judgment seat, and put themselves voluntarily under all the tests of the judgment. This is so in the very nature of belief of the message; for when a message of God declares that "the hour of His judgment is come," what can such a message amount to in the belief of a person to whom it is not a present reality that "the hour of His judgment is come"? And when it is held by the professed believer that it is the truth that "the hour of His judgment is come," what can such a belief amount to if that person does not place himself in the very judgment itself, as a present thing, and does not willingly subject himself to all the searching realities of that judgment?

This is emphasized by the further fact that this message is to make ready a people prepared to meet the Lord when He comes in the clouds of heaven, -- a people who will be alive on the earth when the Lord comes, and who will be translated without seeing death. Rev. 14:4; 15:2, 3;1 Thess. 4: 15-17. And all those who will be ready must be "accounted worthy to escape" all the evils that come upon the earth, and "to stand before the Son of man." Luke 21:36. They must be accounted worthy before that coming occurs, or else they will not be worthy at His coming, and, therefore, can not be saved by Him at His coming. And in this counting of each person worthy, or otherwise, the decisive word is, "He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still." Rev. 22:11.

Thus, by the very nature of the decision of the judgment in the cases of these living ones, in the time of the message that "the hour of His judgment is come," it is evident that there is no long process of examination and of balancing of accounts one against another; but that it is simply the recognition of the condition of each person, according as that condition is by his own choice. Just what he is at the moment when the crisis of the decision in his case is reached, that he forever remains. If he is righteous, the judgment recognizes it, and pronounces the word, "Let him be righteous still." And this word is so pronounced at that moment simply because he already is what this says that he shall be "still." If he is unjust, then the word of the judgment is, "Let him be unjust still." And this is so said simply because that is what he is at the moment, whether the judgment were pronounced or not; and the crisis of the judgment, coming to his case just at that moment, finds it so, recognizes it, and says, "Let him be unjust still."

And why should it not be thus? Here is a message of God, proclaimed to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, saying to all, "Fear God, and give glory to Him," especially because "the hour of His judgment is come." On one hand, here are the people who have received the message. That message has in it all the divine power of the everlasting gospel, fully to fit them for the judgment; and their very acceptance of the message is a confession that they recognize the fact that "the hour of His judgment is come," and that they are in this "hour." And if, in spite of this, any of them lives as if he were not in "the hour of God's judgment" and so shall be unprepared for the blessed word to be pronounced, "Let him be righteous still," and is prepared for the awful word, "Let him be unjust still," surely, none but himself can be in any wise to blame for that. The decision is as it is because of his disregard of the very thing that he professed to hold, and the very thing that had called him to the profession which he holds.

On the other hand, here is a message, proclaimed to all the world, -- to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, saying with a loud voice: "Fear God, and give glory to Him; for the hour of His judgment is come." And here are vast multitudes of people who refuse to believe and there is any truth in the statement that "the hour of His judgment is come." They, therefore, go on in their way, utterly regardless of the truth that they are in the presence of the judgment. Then, when the case of any individual among these is reached, and the word must be, "He that is unjust, let him be unjust still," this also is simply because of his own decision; the judgment pronounced is simply a recognition of the condition in which he is, and which he himself has fixed by his disregard of the message that would have altogether changed his condition, and fitted him for that other word, "He that is righteous, let him be righteous still."

Often, people ask, Shall we know when the time of the judgment shall have come? Shall we be able to know when the judgment shall have come to the living? The great threefold message -- the Third Angel's Message -- gives the answer. Does not that very message itself say plainly, as plainly as the Lord can speak, "The hour of His judgment is come"? Has not this message said the same thing to every man who has ever heard it? and has not that message continued to say this to him from the day that he first heard it?

This being so, is it possible that anyone who has heard that message, and above all anyone who professes to believe that message, has not yet learned that "the hour of his judgment is come ," when that very word is what he heard, and what he has professed to believe, from the day he heard it? And if any professed believer of the Third Angel's Message does not believe this word of God, which, all this time, he has professed to believe, when it tells him that the hour of God's judgment is come, then would he believe it if the Lord should tell him again? Is it possible that anyone has lived under a profession of belief of this message, even for a day, and yet has not placed himself in the presence of the judgment, and has not subjected himself to all the searching tests of the judgment? Is it possible that any one of these professing to believe the word that "the hour of His judgment is come," has not believed it at all, and has been acting all the time as he would not act if he did believe in reality that "the hour of His judgment is come"?

So far as concerns every believer of the Third Angel's Message, each individual has fixed it that, with himself, the judgment has begun upon the living; for he is alive, and has accepted a message from God which declares to him that the hour of God's judgment is come. Being alive, and having accepted such a message from God, by the very force of his profession, simply by the virtue of his belief, he enters alive, hourly into the judgment. He lives in presence of the judgment. He opens his life to all the searching tests of the judgment. And this being so with him, to him the question is answered, Shall we be able to know when the judgment has begun upon the living?

The third Angel's Message -- this great threefold message -- is in every feature present truth. And when in its own words it is shown that this message is given in view of the fact that the hour of God's judgment "is come," and knowing that now is the time of that message, it is only present truth thoroughly to believe that in very truth "the hour of His judgment is come."

Indeed, that this message were ever given at all would be evidence in itself that the hour of His judgment is come; for no message of God can ever be given before the time. Therefore whenever this message shall be found sounding to the world, it will be then true that the hour of God's judgment is come. And the word of the message that says so will be only the announcement of the fact that the hour of His judgment is come. And everyone believing the message will believe that this is the fact: he will have to believe it, to be a believer of the message; because the very word of the message that he professes to believe says that this is so. And as certainly as he believes this, he will enter hourly into God's judgment, and will constantly hold himself subject to all the tests of that judgment.

That message is now due in the world. It is being given to the world. For years this has been so. Therefore for years it has been, and it now is, present truth that the hour of God's judgment is come. Thousands upon thousands of persons profess to believe that message. Therefore the principle is that this whole people of that message are entered hourly into God's judgment, and, as constantly as they live, do subject themselves to all the searching tests of that judgment. All these, therefore, know that as for themselves, each individually, the judgment has begun upon the living; for they are living. To them the message of God has come that "the hour of His judgment is come;" they have accepted that message, and accordingly have entered into that judgment, and so they live constantly in the presence of that awful fact. Consequently we say again that with these there is no room for any such question as to "whether the judgment has begun upon the living."

And if there be any who profess to believe this message, and yet are living as they would not live if they knew that the judgment had come; and would make a revolution in their lives if only they knew that the judgment had come upon the living, but would not make this revolution if they could be certain that the judgment had not come; then to what purpose to them could be a message, even if it were sent directly from heaven to them personally, that the judgment had begun upon the living? In such case, any change that would be sought or made, would have no virtue whatever; and these persons would be no more prepared for the decision of the judgment than if they had heard nothing about it. The only change that would be made in such a life would be altogether out of fear of the consequences, and not out of any love of righteousness. Therefore, in the nature of things, in such a case the word could not be, He is righteous, "let him be righteous still;" because he is not righteous: he has not in his heart any love of righteousness. This is demonstrated by the fact that, under the very profession of this judgment-message, he lived without regard to the judgment: he indulged evil things in his life, -- things which he knew could not pass the judgment, -- and he continued to indulge them until the startling word came to him personally that the judgment was come to him. Then, all at once, and only that he may pass the judgment, and escape the consequences of the evil things that, in spite of righteousness, he has indulged, he sets forth to make a grand revolution in his life!

But no such thing as that will ever work in the judgment of God. Whoever will pass in righteousness the judgment of God, will do so only because he has "loved righteousness, and hated iniquity," whether the judgment was begun upon him or not. He loves righteousness because it is righteousness, and he hates iniquity because it is iniquity; and he will no more indulge iniquity in his life with the judgment a thousand years away than with the judgment only a minute away.

There is, therefore, no room whatever for any professed believer of the Third Angel's Message, ever to ask whether the judgment has begun upon the living. Every true believer of the Third Angel's Message KNOWS, because the Word of God says it, and has said it for years, that "the hour of His judgment is come."

And to whomsoever in all the world this message shall come, even though he believe it not, to him it will be true, and he may know it, that the time of judgment has come to him. Whether he will recognize it or ignore it, is for him alone to say; but to him it will be the truth that the hour of God's judgment "is come."

"The hour of His judgment is come." It is here: it is a present thing as certainly as the world is here. And, knowing this, every true believer of this message lives accordingly: he puts himself alive into the judgment; he reins himself up hourly before the judgment seat; because "the hour of His judgment is come." To the true believer of the Third Angel's Message this is a fact; it is living truth.

And how shall he ever give this message to the world otherwise? can he, with any force of truth at all, preach to another man that the hour of God's judgment "is come," when he himself does not believe at all that it "is come," but only that it will come? Who is there in the world that does not believe that God's judgment will come? But the Third Angel's Message is not that the judgment will come; but that the very time, the "hour, of his judgment IS COME."

Since this judgment, in its decision when pronounced, is but a recognition and declaration of a condition that already exists, and is, therefore, practically instantaneous, it follows that the means of preparation for this awful decision shall be such that it shall be able to effect that preparation also instantaneously. And precisely this provision is that which is offered by the Lord in this great, glorious Third Angel's Message; for it carries the "everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people." And this everlasting gospel is "the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth." "For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith."

Re: Investigative Judgment - 04/02/05 09:02 PM

Cheri/Tom

With all do respect, I do not believe that you have been able to answer my questions.

How do the Jewish Sanctuary Services demonstrate "judgment"?

Re: Investigative Judgment - 04/02/05 10:22 PM

Greetings Bob D,

Ok.

I will be studying prayerfully to see if there is anything else that I may produce for answering your questions.

Cheri Fritz

Re: Investigative Judgment - 04/03/05 02:00 AM

Bob D,

You asked
quote:
1. What portion of the DOA demonstrated a distinction between the "judgment of the living and the dead"?
Bob, not all details of a truth could possibly be represented in a ritual.

quote:
2. For that matter, is the term "judgment" even used in the Biblical descrition of the DOA?
No, the term “judgment” is not used, by the idea is clearly implied. The daily service was prominently a MEDIATORIAL service, but the ritual of the DOA was prominently a JUDGMENT service:

“Whatsoever soul it be that shall not be afflicted in that same day, he shall be cut off from among his people” (Lev. 23:29).

Besides, the Yom Kippur has always been considered in Judaism a Day of Judgment. Note the following:

“Even the angels, we are told in the Ritual, are seized with fear and trembling; they hurry to and fro and say: ‘Behold the Day of Judgment has come.’ The Day of Atonement is the Day of Judgment” (Paul Isaac Hershon, Treasures of the Talmud [1882], p. 97).

“God, seated on His throne to judge the world, at the same time Judge, Pleader, Expert and Witness, openeth the Book of Records. ... The great trumpet is sounded; a still, small voice is heard, ... saying, This is the day of judgment. ... On New Year’s Day the decree is written; on the Day of Atonement it is sealed who shall live and who are to die” (The Jewish Encyclopedia, vol. 2, p. 286).

quote:
3. What portion of the DOA demonstrates a "review" of the records of all sinners, repentant and non-repentent?
As I said, not all the details of a truth could be represented in a ritual, but in the ritual of the Yom Kippur some things were specially made clear: 1) forgiven sins did not simply “vanish”, but were transferred to the sanctuary; 2) they remained there until the day when the sanctuary was cleansed.
How can our sins be transferred to the heavenly sanctuary except this is referring to a record of these sins, and how can the sanctuary be cleansed except by the removal of these sins from the records?

Re: Investigative Judgment - 04/03/05 02:00 AM

Bro. Bob D:

23:27 Also on the tenth [day] of this seventh month [there shall be] a day of atonement: it shall be an holy convocation unto you; and ye shall afflict your souls, and offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD.
23:28 And ye shall do no work in that same day: for it [is] a day of atonement, to make an atonement for you before the LORD your God.
23:29 For whatsoever soul [it be] that shall not be afflicted in that same day, he shall be cut off from among his people.
23:30 And whatsoever soul [it be] that doeth any work in that same day, the same soul will I destroy from among his people. Lev.

Verses 29 and 30 reveal that this was a day when a decision was made [judgment] concerning people. None of the other feast have such language mentioned with them.

8:5 Who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, [that] thou make all things according to the pattern showed to thee in the mount.
8:6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises. Heb.

This sysyem was not the perfect system. One had to grasp by faith from the understanding of the Levitical System the Heavenly. It was given to give a better understanding of the great plan of redemption. At first God taught the plan of redemption to the people by the altar service. Then came the Levitical to give a better understanding and knowledge that once in the end of the world there would come a judgment.

9:24 For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, [which are] the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us:
9:25 Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others;
9:26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.
9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment...Hebrews

The Levitical system could not take into the account the dead. If one committed a sin during the year and brought his sacrifice to the preist and the blood was sprinkled [which represented a record of sin], and that person died before the Day of Atonemnet in that year the Levitical system could not judge him but the perfect and better system could [the heavenly] for if this person died living up to the truth as taught by the Levitical system and grasping by faith the more perfet plan their name would come up in time of judgment of the true tabernacle built by God and not man.

This is how righteous Abel was the first to be judge and he was under the altar service [Gen 4:4;Heb.11:4].

As for as sinners under these earthly services one not participating in the Levitical would definetly be cut off - destroyed probably by stoning, therefore his name concerning the more perfect of the Heavenly tabernacle would definetely not be placed with those for judgment who profess faith in the earthly services.

Leviticus chapter 16 gives the insructions for the earthly DOA.

Verse 25 says - And the fat of the sin offering shall he burn upon the altar. Lev.

37:20 But the wicked shall perish, and the enemies of the LORD [shall be] as the fat of lambs: they shall consume; into smoke shall they consume away. Psalms

This burning of the fat taught the judgment of the wicked on the Earthly DOA.

Hope this helps.

Re: Investigative Judgment - 04/03/05 02:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ronnie Whalon:
Bro. Bob D:

23:27 Also on the tenth [day] of this seventh month [there shall be] a day of atonement: it shall be an holy convocation unto you; and ye shall afflict your souls, and offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD.
23:28 And ye shall do no work in that same day: for it [is] a day of atonement, to make an atonement for you before the LORD your God.
23:29 For whatsoever soul [it be] that shall not be afflicted in that same day, he shall be cut off from among his people.
23:30 And whatsoever soul [it be] that doeth any work in that same day, the same soul will I destroy from among his people. Lev.

Verses 29 and 30 reveal that this was a day when a decision was made [judgment] concerning people. None of the other feast have such language mentioned with them.

Ronnie,

Verse 28 clearly states that this service was for the purposes of "Atonement" not "Judgment".

Atonement means to be made "One" with God.

Verses 29,30 only states that all participants are to "afflict their souls" or to humble themselves before God. They were also to refrain from doing any work on this day. In other words, this day was considered to be a holy day or Sabbath. Anyone who did not obey this command would suffer consequences.

Again, there is no direct or indirect reference to a "Judgment" taking place.

Judgment is used to determine the guilt or innocence of the accused. In OT times this would have been done prior to the Day of Atonement.

God gave specific commands that if an Israelite committed a sin, they were to offer a personal sacrifice so that they would be released from the guilt of the sin. This would take place on a daily basis.

The purpose of the DOA was to offer the atoning sacrifice which would "cleanse" the sanctuary of all recorded sins from previous daily sacrifices.

Also, the confessed sins of the people would be placed upon the head of the Scapegoat that would then be lead out into the wilderness and set free.

Again, no judgment is inferred in this service.

If any Jew had failed to offer a sacrifice for their sins prior to the DOA, they would have suffered the consequences prior to the DOA. Judgment would have been pronounced upon them prior to the DOA service.

Re: Investigative Judgment - 04/03/05 01:38 PM

quote:
Again, there is no direct or indirect reference to a "Judgment" taking place.
Bob,

I think you must have overlooked my post, just above Ronnie's. If there was no direct or indirect reference to a "judgment" taking place, how is it that the Jews came up with this idea?

Re: Investigative Judgment - 04/03/05 04:21 PM

Judgment 1 a : a formal utterance of an authoritative opinion b : an opinion so pronounced
2 a : a formal decision given by a court b (1) : an obligation (as a debt) created by the decree of a court (2) : a certificate evidencing such a decree
3 a capitalized : the final judging of mankind by God b : a divine sentence or decision; specifically : a calamity held to be sent by God
4 a : the process of forming an opinion or evaluation by discerning and comparing b : an opinion or estimate so formed
5 a : the capacity for judging : DISCERNMENT b : the exercise of this capacity
6 : a proposition stating something believed or asserted

On the DOA the services were brought into the present of God , the Shekinah Glory. This was to truly determine who was at one with God for now one who could read the thoughts and motives set on the mercy seat. One may have brought their sacrifice for the forgivensess of sin during the daily administration but the DOA was to teach them this spiritual truth. That the only way that they could be at one with God was to have entered truly into his rest – ceasing from sin not by their works but by God working in them to keep his Law and the Law being spiritual also their thoughts and motives were to be brought into account on this day. This is what Christ had to remind them in the Sermon on the Mount.

One may have brought the sacrifice during the daily administration and confessed his sin over the victim and the priest sprinkled the blood no further than the second veil or sometimes ate the sacrifice to fulfill the requirements of the Levitical Law for forgiveness and this was the work they were commanded to do; but when the yearly DOA came the scrutiny came closer. The motives and thoughts were to be judged because the blood was sprinkled in the Most Holy and only if one had a clean heart [ thoughts and motives pure] could they be at one with God; and God is the only one who can discern the thoughts and motives of the heart. The motives and thoughts were called into account on the DOA for the blood [a record of the sin] was now sprinkled in the presence of God. When the blood was bought in his presence he would determine not only if I kept the letter of the Law but the spirituality of the Law. One may have never killed but if he hated his brother in his heart he was not at one with God. The DOA taught this spiritual truth which we being in the antitypical DOA must not forget. Most of the Jews forgot it but the truth was taught to them yearly by the DOA.

3:6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life. 2 Cor.

The day of atonement, the cleansing of the earthly sanctuary, was and is still understood by the Jews to be a day of judgment. And even now, in their scattered condition, though they cannot have all the service of the ancient time that was connected with that solemn day, it is observed as a day of judgment. In proof of this we will first quote from a Jewish paper published in San Francisco, California, called The Jewish Exponent, the organ of the orthodox Jews west of the Rocky Mountains. In the issue for September, 1892, was the announcement that before the issuing of the next number, the seventh month and day of atonement would come. Their name for the seventh month is Tishree, and that of the sixth is Ellul; so the paper stated, "The month of Ellul is here, and the monitory sounds of the Shofar [the trumpet that was to be blown from the first to the tenth day of the seventh month, Ps. 81:3, 4] are to be heard every morning in the orthodox synagogues, advising preparation for the day of memorial, and the final judgement of Yom Kippur." As they were in the close of Ellul, the sixth month, and Tishree, the seventh month, was about to open, they would, every morning for ten days, hear the trumpet announcing the final judgment of the year in that typical system.

Testimony of a Jewish Rabbi
Again, in the year 1902, Rabbi Isidore Myer, of a large congregation of Jews in San Francisco, Cal., in announcing the day of atonement, said: "While crossing the threshold of time from one year to another, the Israelite is forcibly reminded of the creation and of the universal sovereignty of the Creator, and is called upon to celebrate, with blast of trumpet, the anniversary, so to speak, of the birth of time and of the coronation of the great King. He is also sum- by the voice of the same trumpet, or Shofar, to scrutinize retrospectively his action of the past year while he stands tremblingly before the all-seeing eye of Eternal Justice sitting on the throne of judgment."

The Jewish people of this day who carefully study their service understand the type, at least. That this is so is seen both in their sayings and in their writings. As proof, your attention is called to the following circumstance: In September, 1869, during a series of meetings held at Healdsburg, Cal., a well-educated Jew who resided in that place became much interested in the meetings. Being a man who was very diligent in his mercantile business, it was a matter of great surprise that he should leave his store to attend a meeting in mid-week, and in the daytime. At the close of the meeting, one of the ministers questioned him regarding the matter. He replied, with seriousness: "Why, elder, a Jew who broke every Sabbath in the year would not dare to work to-day. This is the day of atonement, the tenth day of the Jewish seventh month." The minister then asked, "What is the most solemn name your people have for this day?" With a most devout and reverential look, and in a tremulous tone of voice, he replied, "To-day is the day of judgment." By JN Loughborough

Re: Investigative Judgment - 04/04/05 06:57 AM

It seems clear to me in Daniel 7 that judgment is involved.

Re: Investigative Judgment - 04/03/05 11:49 PM

Yes, Tom, but Bob's question was "How do the Jewish Sanctuary Services demonstrate 'judgment'?"

Re: Investigative Judgment - 04/04/05 07:35 AM

Can you separate Daniel 7 from the sanctuary services? It doesn't seem to me that you can, any more than you could separate Hebrews or Revelation. The sanctuary services were given to illustrate truths. These truths are explicated in Daniel (as well as other books).

Re: Investigative Judgment - 04/04/05 02:56 PM

OK, Tom, it's just that Daniel 7 doesn't mention explicitly the sanctuary.

Re: Investigative Judgment - 04/23/05 02:57 PM

Greetings Bod D,

You know the following link is to a great study on the sanctuary. It is called "The Cross and Its Shadow" by Stephen Haskell.

This is a book that one of the Adventist pioneers wrote.

http://dedication.www3.50megs.com/haskell_contents.html

Cheri Fritz

Re: Investigative Judgment - 04/27/05 05:47 AM

Hello everyone, it is nice to be back.
I see some meaningful comments have been made here, and I would like to pull them together.

The IJ being according to the DOA; we must realize the validity of atonement; at-one-ment. This is central to the whole purpose of it. But atonement does not happen in absence of persons or abstractness (theological beliefs). This is exemplified by the fact that, if anyone should not attend to it but go about his own business, such was to be cut off. Atonement is the process where two minds and hearts are being made one. This can only be with the living. But two minds can never become one without the exchange of Judgment. Thus atonement then is but the process of Judgment. It is entirely necessary for us to see and receive his judgment (mind). So yes Atonement is judgment. In Isaiah 1:18 the Lord shows that in receiving his judgment - reasoning, we are made pure – atonement.

Isa 1:17 Learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow.
Isa 1:18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

Revelation tells us that the angel is preaching the “Everlasting gospel” the good news of Salvation. He is preaching it to the living on the earth ‘saying’ …the hour of his judgment is come… to the living. He is preaching this as the everlasting gospel. As such this judgment can only be for the purpose of atonement.

Rev 14:6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,
Rev 14:7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

They, who thus receive God’s judgment, are those that are filled with God’s glory; which is also the great glory of the fourth angel. This, Christ is ministering from the MHP.

Are we attending in this Day of Atonement the Judgment, which is our Salvation?
Or are we going about our own business; remaining in our own judgment?

Shalom

Re: Investigative Judgment - 04/28/05 02:16 AM

I agree - there is a close link between Rev 14:6 ff, the judgment and the Day of Atonement.

Regarding Rev 14:6 Ellen White says that the message is intended to focus the attention of humanity on the Creator and the sign of his creative power is the Sabbath. So the world is called to account on this as present truth. I've wondered sometimes if the emphasis on the creatorship of God in Rev 14 portends a natural disaster such as an asteriod impact. A natural dissaster rather than a man-made one would have the effect of causing people to re-think their views of creation vs evolution. Maybe God is holding back the four winds, the final trials so that His people can not only endure what lies ahead, but will be effective witnesses when the time comes.

Re: Investigative Judgment - 04/29/05 08:47 AM

Nicely put, John. Nice and clear!

Piggy-backing on your thoughts regarding "at-one-ment," Christ is working as our mediator/intercessor. The purpose of a mediator is to bring two parties together. When the two parties are together, in perfect harmony, then the work of the mediator is accomplished.

Christ said, "At that day ye shall ask in my name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you: For the Father himself loveth you." (John 16:26, 27). Perhaps "that day" is when His work as MHP is done, and God's people actually believe the truth.
Posted By: Daryl

Re: Investigative Judgment - 06/30/08 01:30 AM

I am also bumping this related topic from other related ones I bumped earlier.
Posted By: Daryl

Re: Investigative Judgment - 10/18/22 04:27 PM

This Sabbath will be on October 22, 2022 and will be a good opportunity to focus on what happened on October 22, 1844 and how it fits into the ending of the 2,200 day.year prophecy of Daniel 8:13-14.
Posted By: dedication

Re: Investigative Judgment - 10/21/22 03:14 AM

An interesting little video to watch in remembrance of 1844
It's Hiram Edson's point of view in movie form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPGrAokxAIw
Posted By: dedication

Re: Investigative Judgment - 10/23/22 01:21 AM

WHY SHOULD WE REMEMBER 1844

Duet 32:7
Remember the days of old; consider the years of many generations. Ask thy father, and he will show thee, thy elders, and they will tell thee

As Israel was about to enter the land of Canaan, Moses, who had been their leader throughout their journey through the wilderness, gathered the people about him. Realizing that he was to go no farther with them, he admonished the people to : "Remember the days of old."
Remember how the Lord has led you, he said, Remember how he freed you from the Egyptians, remember how He parted the Red Sea, remember how He fed you with manna,, and gave you drink from a rock. Remember how He spoke to you from the mountain. Remember?.

We too, are travelers to the promised land. We have experienced God?s guidance and care, yet often the journey has been rough, this world has been a wilderness, but now we are standing on the very edge of the promised land. We know it can?t be long now, and Jesus will come to take His children home!
BUT the road immediately ahead, sure looks dark. Forces of evil are gathering, a time of trouble is looming. Some have dropped out, somehow hoping to escape the dangers ahead and find a better way. Hoping the world will give them a more comfortable way.
The question that looms in our minds when things get really rough, ?Is it worth it??
Is it worth ridicule and persecution to hold on to the truths we now believe? Do we even believe with certainty that what we believe is truth?

God?s message is still -- "We have nothing to fear for the future"?"EXCEPT." What is the exception?
"Except as we shall forget the way the Lord has led us and His teachings in the past.."

The date today is Oct.22, 2022 If we were to go back in time exactly 178 years and we went out looking for a seventh-day Adventist church we would not find one anywhere, but we would find 1000?s of Adventist groups all over North America and other places, eagerly gazing up into the sky waiting for Jesus to come.

REMEMBERING 1844

It was a very bitter sweet day, that Oct. 22. They were so sure Jesus would come that day. This was the day they would see Jesus! This was the day when sickness, sorrow, violence, pain, war and death would be forever ended, and they would live forever in the beautiful home Christ had waiting for them. Morning passed, then the afternoon, as the sun set, apprehension began to creep into their hearts. Then midnight struck, and utter disappointment, grief, and perplexity overtook them. Jesus had not come. Their fondest hopes and expectations were blasted, and they wept bitterly.

For a large portion of Adventists it was the end of their hopes, they renounced their faith and returned to their former lives. Others continued to set new dates, all of which also disappointed.

Meanwhile on the farm belonging to Hiram Edson, men were reviewing the ways God had led them. The wonderful peace and closeness to the Lord surely couldn?t have been all wrong. Let?s go to the barn and pray, Hiram invited the other men.
After pleading with the Lord to show them what went wrong, Hiram and a friend decided to visit other members and encourage them.

While walking through a cornfield Hiram received a revelation. ?Distinctly and clearly I saw Jesus as the High Priest, but instead of coming out of the Most Holy and coming to the earth, He was entering the Most Holy Place from the holy place of the heavenly sanctuary.?
Here was the clue. Daniel 8:14 said after the 2300 days/years the SANCTUARY, was to be cleansed. They had assumed the ?sanctuary? was this earth. Now the concept was revealed to Hiram that there was a heavenly sanctuary.

Questions flooded all their minds, and a serious group of Bible study times took place. They checked all their former calculations for the 2300 days. Yes, they were a day for year. The markers along the timeline (Jerusalem rebuilt, Christ?s anointing and death, the destruction of Jerusalem, all were faithfully fulfilled There calculations were correct! So what took place at the end of the 2300 years?

They focused on the word ?sanctuary? and from the book of Hebrews saw there was a sanctuary in heaven. Hebrews 9:23 spoke of a heavenly sanctuary being cleansed with the BETTER Blood of Christ.

SANCTUARY DOCTRINE
Why would a heavenly sanctuary need cleansing, was the next question. The group turned to the book of Leviticus and studied the day of Atonement.

Lev. 16:14-20
?(The priest shall take of the blood of the goat and sprinkle it upon the mercy seat, and before the mercy seat (15) He shall make an atonement for the holy place, because of the uncleanness of the children of Israel, and because of their transgressions in all their sins, and so shall he do for the tabernacle of the congregation.

On the day of Atonement we see something very different from the daily rituals. Cleansing occurs for the sinner during the daily rituals, BUT only on the day of atonement does the sprinkling of blood result in cleansing for the sanctuary itself, and for the altar and for the people.

The cleansing of the sanctuary on the day of atonement presupposes that sanctuary was contaminated ?because of the transgressions in all their sins? of the children of Israel previous to this. This is not speaking of ?national apostasy? this is dealing with the regular ?salvation? model.

Modern critical scholars can?t seem to understand why there should be a new cleansing on the Day of Atonement for sins already pardoned and forgiven during the year. After all, Lev. 4:35 says of the sin offering, which a repentant sinner offers during the year that ?the priest shall make an atonement for his sin and it shall be forgiven him.? Yet, on the day of atonement ?On that day shall the priest make an atonement for you, to cleanse you that you may be clean from all your sins. (Lev. 16: 30)
They don?t seem to realize that on the day of Atonement, it is not only the people that are cleansed, but the sanctuary itself is cleansed BECAUSE of the transgressions and sins OF THE PEOPLE.
The primary meaning of the word ?atonement? in the old testament is ?to cover?.

David, (using a different word for ?cover?) said in Psalms 32.1, and Paul quotes in Romans 4:7 ?Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.?
So, during the ?salvation year model", the sanctuary was the place the people went to confess their sins upon the head of the sacrifice. This is where the individual?s sin was covered by the blood of the sacrifice, and he was forgiven. Yet, at the end of the ?salvation year model", the sanctuary itself must be cleansed, or ?covered? and all sin is dealt with in a final way. Thus cleansing both the sanctuary and the people who had previously repented, thus symbolizing the end of all sin. The Jews regarded the day of atonement as the day of judgement.

THE SANCTUARY AND THE SABBATH
As these early pioneers continued to study the Bible, the whole truth of the sanctuary doctrine immerged. It was through the understanding of Christ?s work in the sanctuary that the importance of the Sabbath truth arose. The Most Holy Place contained the ark, and the ark contained the ten commandments, and the Sabbath was right there in the middle of God?s commandments.
Law and grace, love and justice find their perfect balance in the sanctuary doctrine. Christ is the center?the sacrifice, the priest, the mediator, the lawyer, the judge.

IT IS BIBLICAL
Adventists have often been accused of dreaming up the sanctuary belief to save face after the great disappointment. That it really isn?t Biblical. Yet men like Hiram Edson and others spent hours studying the Bible, and praying for God?s guidance in understanding this. It was found in scripture BEFORE Ellen White was even recognized as a prophet. 1844 and the sanctuary doctrine is the foundation of the Adventist faith. If our understanding of Christ through the sanctuary picture crumbles, our whole experience as Seventh-day Adventists also crumbles.

The challenge for each of us is to gain a deeper understanding of this message. We must understand it from the Bible. If the devil can convince you that the sanctuary truth is not Biblical he will soon destroy your confidence in all the pillars of Adventism including the importance of the seventh day Sabbath. When the final crises comes, their will be no conviction that anything is wrong, just go with the ?moral? flow.

THE LIGHT BEHIND US
In Ellen White?s first vision, she saw people traveling along a narrow path to heaven. Jesus was leading the way, as long as the people kept their eyes on Him they were safe. Behind them was a bright light symbolizing the 1844 experience. Then a sad scene presented itself. Several people started to deny the 1844 experience and the sanctuary doctrine, suddenly the light behind them went out, leaving their feet in perfect darkness, they stumbled and lost sight of Jesus and fell of the path.
Today, on the 178 anniversary of the 1844 experience let us determine to be rooted and grounded in the truth through Jesus Christ our Lord. Remembering and yes, even celebrating how God led us in the past, as this will help us to stand firm in His strength through the rough times ahead.

By remembering we gain strength and renewed confidence, through the clear assurance of the testimony of past experience, that truly this is God's work. He has led us, individually, yes, but ALSO God raised up this church, and gave us the three angel?s message, an important message that needs to go to all the world. He will lead us safely through the difficult days before us.

It seems most fitting then, that today, when the future here on earth is filled with uncertainties, that this people should pause to look back and catch an assuring glimpse of God's providential guidance.
At this late date all too often we find former members who have turned away, they lost sight of the Light behind.
REMEMBER HOW GOD LED
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church