EG White Shown the Great Controversy Not to be Condensed.

Posted By: Charity

EG White Shown the Great Controversy Not to be Condensed. - 12/23/19 12:47 AM

Yesterday propositions were made that needed thoughtful, prayerful consideration. [Undoubtedly refers to a proposal made by a prominent canvassing agent that Patriarchs and Prophets and Great Controversy be abbreviated and united.W. C. White.] I have carefully considered these propositions and will now say, "Patriarchs and Prophets and Great Controversy must go out to the people as they are. They cover ground that reaches from the beginning to the close of this earth's history, and they should not be changed." With this question settled, I feel the assurance the Lord's blessing will accompany the reading of these books. We are to make as little change as possible in books which contain the light that the Lord has declared the people should have. To drop out any part of these books would not result favorably; for they are as much needed today as when they first came before the world.

These books were written under the influence and in accordance with the instruction of God, and no part of them is to be treated as needless. Let these books go forth as they are, and let God make the explanation essential by imparting His Holy Spirit. {Ms1-1905}

Does the above preclude or prohibit books like The Great Hope? I would say it does. That is exactly what she is saying should not be done isn't it?

Does it preclude republishing tracts that quote from it or articles. I'd say no, she would encourage any literature that would direct people's attention to the books themselves.
Posted By: Green Cochoa

Re: EG White Shown the Great Controversy Not to be Condensed. - 01/20/20 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Charity
Yesterday propositions were made that needed thoughtful, prayerful consideration. [Undoubtedly refers to a proposal made by a prominent canvassing agent that Patriarchs and Prophets and Great Controversy be abbreviated and united.W. C. White.] I have carefully considered these propositions and will now say, "Patriarchs and Prophets and Great Controversy must go out to the people as they are. They cover ground that reaches from the beginning to the close of this earth's history, and they should not be changed." With this question settled, I feel the assurance the Lord's blessing will accompany the reading of these books. We are to make as little change as possible in books which contain the light that the Lord has declared the people should have. To drop out any part of these books would not result favorably; for they are as much needed today as when they first came before the world.

These books were written under the influence and in accordance with the instruction of God, and no part of them is to be treated as needless. Let these books go forth as they are, and let God make the explanation essential by imparting His Holy Spirit. {Ms1-1905}

Does the above preclude or prohibit books like The Great Hope? I would say it does. That is exactly what she is saying should not be done isn't it?

Does it preclude republishing tracts that quote from it or articles. I'd say no, she would encourage any literature that would direct people's attention to the books themselves.

Thank you for posting this. I would agree with your conclusion on this. The statement obviously applies to other major Adventist books as well. When I get a chance, I intend to post about some major changes made to one of these which I have been discovering within the last year.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church