Was Christ A Liberal Or A Conservative?

Posted By: Daryl

Was Christ A Liberal Or A Conservative? - 09/25/05 12:20 AM

When we look at the life of Christ in both the Bible and the writings of EGW, was Christ a Liberal or a Conservative?

I am not referring to the two political parties within Canadian politics. [Big Grin]

I ask this question for a reason, therefore, I first wait to see what kind of replies, if any, I will receive. [Smile]
Posted By: vastergotland

Re: Was Christ A Liberal Or A Conservative? - 09/25/05 12:31 AM

I think Jesus was above liberal or conservative. He was about His Fathers buisness and not on a liberal or conservative agenda.

/Thomas

Re: Was Christ A Liberal Or A Conservative? - 09/25/05 12:39 AM

Are you then in effect saying He was neither?

Let me also ask the question this way. How then did the people see Christ, as a Liberal or as a Conservative?
Posted By: vastergotland

Re: Was Christ A Liberal Or A Conservative? - 09/25/05 12:52 AM

Yep, thats what Im saying.

For your secound question. Liberals saw a conservative and conservatives saw a liberal.

/Thomas

Re: Was Christ A Liberal Or A Conservative? - 09/25/05 01:00 AM

Interesting.

I will post more after I hear a few more replies here. [Smile]
Posted By: Redfog

Re: Was Christ A Liberal Or A Conservative? - 09/25/05 06:12 AM

Compared to the people in His day He was liberal. He healed and gathered food on the Sabbath, He cast out the money changers, He spoke of forgiving and forgiving and forgiving.... He said to pay your taxes and go the extra mile. He said love your neighbor and He showed love for the unlovely. He associated with prostitutes and tax collectors. He stood up for the down trodden. He said if you want to be saved then you must be born again. He preached a message of being saved by Grace, not by works. These were all things that went against the conservative established Jewish leaders who thought they were following inspired word to the inth degree and that they could earn their way into heaven.

Redfog
Posted By: Tom

Re: Was Christ A Liberal Or A Conservative? - 09/25/05 08:52 AM

Christ was both. In terms of the misunderstandings of the time, He was liberal. In terms of actually observing the law of God, as it is in truth, He was a conservative.

An incident comes to mind where He spoke of the Pharisees tithing on mint, dill and cumin but not observing justice, mercy and faith -- the weightier matters of the law. What Christ said was very interesting, demonstrating both Christ's liberalness and conservativeness: "This you should have done, without leaving the other undone."
Posted By: Rosangela

Re: Was Christ A Liberal Or A Conservative? - 09/25/05 03:39 PM

He was no doubt considered a liberal at His time, because religious narrow-mindedness prevailed.

Re: Was Christ A Liberal Or A Conservative? - 09/25/05 05:06 PM

How do we, the people of today, look back on Christ; as a liberal, as a conservative, or as both?
Posted By: Redfog

Re: Was Christ A Liberal Or A Conservative? - 09/25/05 05:10 PM

Truth is neither liberal nor conservative, it is simply Truth. Only against a religious/secular background can Truth be perceived as a right or left issue. Right and left, liberal and conservative, these concepts change all the time and in time, especially in politics, but Truth remains constant, though it might be hard for us to discern because it is tainted by politicians and theologians. With Christ there is no taint, only pure Truth.

Redfog
Posted By: John Boskovic

Re: Was Christ A Liberal Or A Conservative? - 09/26/05 06:31 AM

Amen, Redfog
Posted By: John Boskovic

Re: Was Christ A Liberal Or A Conservative? - 09/26/05 06:33 AM

Joh 18:37 ... To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church