quilting

Posted By: Stephanie Suranyi

quilting - 06/21/05 07:51 PM

Ok, everyone. I have a question for y'all! I am making a quilt for my son. I have the fabric cut and am piecing it together. I have the batting I will need for this quilt. My question is this. What is the best material for the backing & binding? Is it ok to use old (but in good condition) sheets for this part? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Posted By: Fran

Re: quilting - 10/05/08 01:34 AM

At this late date, Yes! Sheets are a great source of fabric. It is also cheaper that some fabrics. The higher the thread count the better the quilt will be.

WalMart sells some Egyptian 300 Count sateen sheets that are wonderful for sleeping between and using on a quilt. A Twin set is $18.99 US. A full set is about $26.99 US. They make Good fabric for the fronts of quilts also!

They also sell 200-250 count sheets, but for lasting longer, the higher thread count,the longer lasting the quilt. The gyptian cotton is fantastic as fabric and are great to sleep between!
Posted By: Elen

Re: quilting - 06/26/11 01:20 AM

I have made several quilts, all pieced and quilted by hand. The sheets I used for backing were new, and I found that it was more difficult to stitch through them than making the backing from cotton fabric. I suppose a sheet that has been used and laundered a number of times might be better than my new-washed-once sheets were.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church